I hooked one

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

q
Bill Crothers

I hooked one

Postby q » Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:56 pm

So, I walk into work tonight and as soon as I walk in the door I hear "Thanks Buddy! You cost me $175!!!" Dumbfounded, I reply "You got off easy... What are we talking about???"

He then goes on how I told him to get fitted for the proper walking/running shoes by someone who knows what their doing... and some other free advice I gave him.

This is a big guy, like 270-280 lbs, and has been encouraged by my weight loss and running stories. He is a walker, his plan right now is to lose 20 lbs and be able to jog for 5 minutes straight by October.

I told him thats a very realistic plan. And that I would asking him and if he is sticking to it.

Its good feeling when you realize you aren't a rookie anymore and you able to help someone out.

This made my night, just thought I share it.
Bettina Peterson: "Where're you headed?"
Chuck Noland: "Well, I was just about to figure that out."

Dani
Jerome Drayton

Postby Dani » Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:00 pm

Way to go! Feels great, I bet! I have got my sister trying running but she needs local motivation and I am more than a few provinces away. Anyone want to help? She is in St. Albert, AB :) just kidding.

It is only now that I am at the level I am with my fitness, that I consider myself an athlete. THAT is a very big thing for me. In my eyes I am still as FAT as I always was. :shock: Go figure... silly girl brain!
I used to run. All the time.
Now? Notsomuch.
I'm still a runner, though.
Life is fluid and ever changing. I am too.

q
Bill Crothers

Postby q » Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:05 pm

Not just a girl thing. To me I look the same. To everyone else I have really thinned out. I thought they were being nice/supportive.

The big indicator is the clothes. Wearing a belt with pants that used to be snug, or didn't fit at all. That just rocks. The clothes don't lie

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:19 pm

Nice going! If this guy sticks with it for a month, you get 10 points in the runningmaniamania challenge!

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:33 pm

did you invite him here? :)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

wantmeback
Bill Crothers

Postby wantmeback » Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:36 pm

d_diamond wrote:Way to go! Feels great, I bet! I have got my sister trying running but she needs local motivation and I am more than a few provinces away. Anyone want to help? She is in St. Albert, AB :) just kidding.

Just kidding that she is in St. Albert or that you want help?
Jen

*The maniac formerly known as gjennifer*

Back at it! 2019 goal Edmonton Hypo Half February 3rd

q
Bill Crothers

Postby q » Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:38 am

klewlis wrote:did you invite him here? :)

hehe, perhaps when he gets a computer...

But I almost blurted out "RunningMania.Com" to a female jogger who stopped for 2 glasses of water at the coffee shop I frequent this morning.... She kept glancing at me. "Interesting" I thought, until I figured out she was checkin out "Johnny Miles Marathon" cap. Oh well...

So I didn't. I thought she would think that would be creepy.

Dani
Jerome Drayton

Postby Dani » Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:00 am

gjennifer wrote:
d_diamond wrote:Way to go! Feels great, I bet! I have got my sister trying running but she needs local motivation and I am more than a few provinces away. Anyone want to help? She is in St. Albert, AB :) just kidding.

If I could get her help it would be great! She is living with her husband, 2 kids, and our mom right now and doesn't get much time to herself. And her husband and our mom don't live the healthiest of lifestyles and look at my poor sister funny if she tries to better herself. She was pumped up to run once but her partner never made it past the "We'll have to start running together" phase. She is too shy to sign up for a clinic by herself too. Oh I wish I could be there to help her, but alas, I am married to the military...
Now? Notsomuch.

jacob42.2
Bill Crothers

Postby jacob42.2 » Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:41 am

The last thing I'd say to a 180lbs er' who said I just cost him money, was "you got off lucky" I'd be running hard and fast :P

Great story QMP, you should have waited to tell us this story...you might have gotten some points for it...TOO LATE NOW! haha
PB's: 5k: 16:40 10K: 34:59 21.1: 1:17:16 Marathon: 02:50:47
RUNNING MANIA #2

lastmilelori
Johnny Miles

Postby lastmilelori » Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:54 am

d_diamond wrote:
gjennifer wrote:

If I could get her help it would be great! She is living with her husband, 2 kids, and our mom right now and doesn't get much time to herself. And her husband and our mom don't live the healthiest of lifestyles and look at my poor sister funny if she tries to better herself. She was pumped up to run once but her partner never made it past the "We'll have to start running together" phase. She is too shy to sign up for a clinic by herself too. Oh I wish I could be there to help her, but alas, I am married to the military...

I am also married to the military. I know what you are saying about not being able to support your family. However, as we all know, this board is very supportive and I am sure that given the chance to meet Jen, she would find another supportive person "in person".

I have discovered that on-line journaling is an awesome way to keep in touch with family when you are living away. Would she consider that? She could post her runs, and get your support as well. Just a thought.

I hate to think of a "could be" runner being isolated with her kids.

Lori
On May 28th, 2006, I will run 21km to support the Ottawa Hospital Foundation.

https://secure.e2rm.com/registrant/Star ... SID=764626

jacob42.2
Bill Crothers

Postby jacob42.2 » Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:53 am

ahaha, the dude who is coming with me to SJ is running the half. And he got motivated because of me. In fact, he's been running for a few months now...but that's alright tough guy...I'm hoping to score some big ones come marathon day. :P
PB's: 5k: 16:40 10K: 34:59 21.1: 1:17:16 Marathon: 02:50:47

RUNNING MANIA #2

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:37 am

lastmilelori wrote:However, as we all know, this board is very supportive and I am sure that given the chance to meet Jen, she would find another supportive person "in person".

Jennifer is super, one of the most encouraging and friendly runners I know. She'd be perfect for helping your sister. :)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Dani
Jerome Drayton

Postby Dani » Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:48 am

I just spoke to my sister and if anyone is up to helping a newbie take her first steps... we may convert another one... :evil: WAA HAAA HAAA
Now? Notsomuch.

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:23 pm

d_diamond wrote: In my eyes I am still as FAT as I always was. :shock: Go figure... silly girl brain!
me too! isn't that strange? yet, i am at the weight i always dreamed of being at and now wear the size clothes i never thought i'd get into... crazy...

lovethehills
Bill Crothers

Postby lovethehills » Sun Jul 31, 2005 3:30 pm

d_diamond wrote:
In my eyes I am still as FAT as I always was. Go figure... silly girl brain!
me too! isn't that strange? yet, i am at the weight i always dreamed of being at and now wear the size clothes i never thought i'd get into... crazy...

Me too, isn't that mental?!! My boyfriend always tells me the exact opposite...great guy. :wink: :lol:

As for motivation, I got him into running. He's always been in shape, but never run. Now he is a crazy man! He did NCM 1/2 and is going to do Waterfront 1/2, then a full next year. It's great, sometimes we do our LSD together....sometimes not! haha
"Only through curiosity can we discover opportunities, and only through gambling can we take advantage of them."

q
Bill Crothers

Postby q » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:34 pm

UPDATE: End of Week 1

Talking to the big guy today. He's down roughly 5 or 6 pounds. He is doing 2 miles in 32 minutes. Can run/jog for just under a minute straight.

He is still very positive and is staying with it.

Stephan
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stephan » Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:28 pm

That's awsome!!!!! Tell him to keep it up. Just long enough for the addiction to take over and then he will be ours!!!

HAHAHAHAHAhhahaahahahahHAHAHAHAHAha

Stephan

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:36 pm

two of my girlfriends have started running in the past month after listening to me go on and on about my running... i get excited every time they tell me about it. actually, one was in the city last night for the night, and she wanted to get up and go together this morning.

Dani
Jerome Drayton

Postby Dani » Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:02 pm

Still looking for a volunteer to hook my sister in St Albert... Any takers?Trade you for a Fredericton one...

Geez, this could be like trading hockey cards!! lol
Now? Notsomuch.

q
Bill Crothers

Postby q » Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:17 pm

Update #2. Big guy is down another 8lbs (total 14 lbs). Around 30 minutes for 2 miles. Still can't seem to break the one minute mark for a run though

htoles

Postby htoles » Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:20 pm

Isn't it fun to hook other people into this!!! I have both a co-worker and two neighbours who have started running. I can't wait until after my race to really run with them for a bit and enjoy it together!! :D

CAW
Lynn Williams

Postby CAW » Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:29 pm

d_diamond wrote:Still looking for a volunteer to hook my sister in St Albert... Any takers?Trade you for a Fredericton one...

Geez, this could be like trading hockey cards!! lol

Dani, I hate to remind you, but you are taken up locally with me, your pet project remember?? Sheesh, and you call yourself a friend....LOL....you are not truely a friend until you succeed in changing me and shaping me into your mold remember? Didn't you learn anything from that brainwashing/training from RMH? mwaaaahaaaahaaaaa :twisted: :evil:

Looking forward to you "having your way with me...." and I'm sure hubbies would like to "see it happen" too!!
~Kara~

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself."
— Thich Nhat Hanh

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:42 pm

CdnArtyWife wrote:

Looking forward to you "having your way with me...." and I'm sure hubbies would like to "see it happen" too!!

Whoa, forget the hubbies...if somebody's having their way with somebody we need updates.

By the way C.A.W., once Dani's had you hooked for a month, she gets bonus points in the club championship challenge.

Scott
Bill Crothers

Postby Scott » Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:46 pm

qmp wrote:Not just a girl thing. To me I look the same. To everyone else I have really thinned out. I thought they were being nice/supportive.

The big indicator is the clothes. Wearing a belt with pants that used to be snug, or didn't fit at all. That just rocks. The clothes don't lie

I agree, Brendan, it not a girl thing. I still feel fat and unfit. Especially after my aborted run tonight. My lovely finacee pointed out though how easy cycling is for me compared to running and what a high I get from that. She also pointed out that it was about 30 something with the humidex.

Scott

Return to “General Running Discussion”