Non Running Significant Others

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

endurox
Tom Longboat

Non Running Significant Others

Postby endurox » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:48 pm

Just to stir the pot a bit :twisted: ...do any of you have stories of really supportive significant others or the opposite that you want to share. A fellow RM emailed me an article that was geared towards gym rats about maintaining a balance and to check off those that applied. In my unbiased opinion I think I still remained balanced. :P .One of the questions was would you give up a date because you had to train...well..hme..If I had a date that would give me incentive to get my run done first thing in the morning. :lol: When it comes to a week before a marathon I admit I become a self obessed worrier and quiet. I think it takes a special person to "get" us.
9 Marathons/6 Boston Qualifiers
PR 3:36
Next Major Race:Chicago Marathon 2010
http://startinglines.blog.com/
"Mind is everything: muscle - pieces of rubber. All that I am, I am because of my mind."
- Paavo Nurmi

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:53 pm

I would definitely give up a date to train. In fact, my wife would demand it :wink:

I've been told that I'm not a very nice person when I'm obsessing about a race - one of my goals for my next marathon is to get 'er done without putting too much of a strain on my family.

One thing that makes it easier is that my wife has her own obsessions. And believe me, runners have nothing on golfers when it comes to obsessiveness and crankiness.

I'd love to see the article you were emailed.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

endurox
Tom Longboat

Postby endurox » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:57 pm

Another RMer, Finnloper emailed it so I will get her to post it. Yes, I agree, if the significant other has their own obessions, its all good! As long as its not counting the number of running shoes laying around and wanting to throw out race numbers.
"Mind is everything: muscle - pieces of rubber. All that I am, I am because of my mind."
- Paavo Nurmi

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:58 pm

Based on past experience of how cranky/obsessive/neurotic my husband is pre-marathon, I suspect that it's not going to be a pretty site in our house in the next month. Because I fully suspect that I'll be just the same way.

Might have to have US Airways seat us seperately on our flights down.

We just might kill each other.
Race Hard. Race Happy.

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:02 pm

Triathlon and running and cycling pre dated MrBJH.

He likes happy-BJH much more than cranky-needs-a-workout-BJH.

He has his own obsessions. ;)
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

endurox
Tom Longboat

Postby endurox » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:02 pm

At least you can be cranky together! my friend is doing Myrtle Beach! Good Luck!
- Paavo Nurmi

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:04 pm

good luck to you too on Feb 18 in Florida!
Race Hard. Race Happy.

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Re: Non Running Significant Others

Postby Sir Crashalot » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:08 pm

endurox wrote:One of the questions was would you give up a date because you had to train...well..hme..If I had a date that would give me incentive to get my run done first thing in the morning. :lol: When it comes to a week before a marathon I admit I become a self obessed worrier and quiet. I think it takes a special person to "get" us.

Give up a date??? Because of a sport???? Never!!!!!
It's bad enough that work has a habit of screwing up supper dates but that's what puts money in my pocket to support my hobbies ... & pay for the dates :lol:
I don't have that "Kill'em all! Let God sort'em out!" type of sports attitude & I doubt I ever will. I am in it for the laughs & ... well ... missing out on a hot date ... doesn't sound the least bit.... fun.
:D
Image Fortes Fortuna Juvat!
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
Never really ready but always ready!

anners
Jerome Drayton

Postby anners » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:15 pm

i met T just after i completed my first halfM. 6 weeks after we started dating, i had a 10k race and he got up early with me, drove me there, waited for me in the heat and took pictures of me as i approached the finish line. i was very impressed :wink: he has come to every race with me since then (except for Hair of the Dog...but that's because I told him to stay home :lol: ). i've gotten him to do a few 5 and 10k races with me, although he doesn't train, so he is not a runner per se :roll: he has also bought me all kinds of running gear for christmas gifts, including a garmin :D and he knows what brand of energy bars and gels i like, too! he is wonderful, and i am very lucky :D

ETA: thanks for making me think about this. i'll have to give T an extra hug today :)
Last edited by anners on Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:15 pm

My hubby takes me out so rarely, that if he were to take me out, I would forego the training! :wink:

He too, has his own obsessions. But I try to go out fishing with him at least once or twice a year!
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

endurox
Tom Longboat

Postby endurox » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:29 pm

Hey Trixie..good luck at Miami half!! I will be mile 17/23 with the hash house harriers doing a beer stop so will miss you enroute but have a great run! There is supposed to be a cold front by the end of the week so you might luck out!
- Paavo Nurmi

getfit
Jerome Drayton

Postby getfit » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:37 pm

mike runs wrote: And believe me, runners have nothing on golfers when it comes to obsessiveness and crankiness.

Ain't that the truth !!! :wink: I hope I didn't give the impression in 'the other' thread that my husband is totally unsupportive, far from it. He's gone to quite a few of my races and cheered me on at the finish line. He and the girls even made the trek with me to Wolfe Island this past summer. He also puts up with my soggy running clothes draped over things in the house to dry out :oops: But the best part of all, when I've got sore, tired legs he gives a wonderful massage 8)
"I'm not sufficiently organized or ambitious to do all the things you're supposed to do if you're serious. The more time you spend fiddlediddling with this and that, the less time there is to run." ED WHITLOCK

wantmeback
Bill Crothers

Postby wantmeback » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:37 pm

Thanks, endurox, for giving me the chance to think about why my hubby is so great, and brag a little about him. ;)

I always worried about how my commitment to running affected him. When it was half marathons, it wasn't so bad, because I was still available to meet him for breakfast on Sundays. But marathon training changed all that, because for the first one I was so bagged for the rest of the day, and sometimes quite cranky!

But one day, he said, just out of the blue, "I'm glad you took up running. It's nice that you have something that you really like to do." :shock: I guess that it sunk in that, marathon training aside, it makes me a happier person.

I would love it if Ted took up running, because I see all the couples that share it, and envy that. But he supports my training and racing, cheers me on, brags to people about how far I ran or swam. So not only can I not complain, but I think I'm very lucky!
Jen

*The maniac formerly known as gjennifer*

Back at it! 2019 goal Edmonton Hypo Half February 3rd

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:52 pm

endurox wrote:Hey Trixie..good luck at Miami half!! I will be mile 17/23 with the hash house harriers doing a beer stop so will miss you enroute but have a great run! There is supposed to be a cold front by the end of the week so you might luck out!

Thanks Endurox!!

I'm actually NOT happy with the cold front! It'll be bearable for the Half, but I was really looking forward to soaking up some rays, and snoozing on the beach! However, I'm staying with my parents in Daytona Beach, and the high's are predicted to be mid 60's and cloudy! :x

Too bad we won't be able to do a M&G! Have fun at the beer station! :D
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

endurox
Tom Longboat

Postby endurox » Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:05 pm

ooh..ya...Daytona can be alot cooler than Miami too..but often its clear weather following the cold front, so if you find shelter from the wind the sun can still be warm..I will hope for nice beach weather for you!
- Paavo Nurmi

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:33 pm

I started running after I met my fiance. He knows not to schedule dates on Saturday nights now :)

He comes to the first of every distance to cheer and take pictures. He is super supportive, and likes me better when I am running as well. I didn't run the first summer after starting running, and he said "you are surly when you don't run." He likes the increased confidence running has brought me, is glad I have new running friends and is the firmest believer that I can do it (even when I don't believe it).

Now if I could only convince him to come and meet some maniacs...sheesh. He is scared of all our M&G's.

TurtleLuc
Tom Longboat

Postby TurtleLuc » Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:33 pm

I don't think I would have a problem with changing my training schedule because I've always been pretty flexible with my training. Leanne, my wife, is not a runner but has been very supportive with my running, however, she still worries when I race marathons. I don't race much, but when I toe the line, I am there to push myself and see what my legs are willing to deliver that day. I try to run early in the morning or at lunch during the week so we can spend time together when we get home from work. My long runs are typically on Saturday where she'll bring me a 2nd bottle when my runs are longer than 23kms or if it is excessively warm. When we're at the cottage she sometimes takes her bicycle and rides along while I run. This has helped me get to new levels in my training and we get to spend a bit of time together although her one complaint is I don't talk as much as she would like (cause I am sucking for air).
I am fortunate to have a very supportive wife, and I'd like to get her involved a similar activity that she would enjoy as much as I enjoy running. Her passion is cooking, so I'm a winner there too :D
Regards,
Turtle Luc :)

Size5
Lynn Williams

Postby Size5 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:35 pm

I think I've lived every possible combination of this question.... When I was married, my husband was not supportive of my running/training. He never once came out to a race and didn't "get it". Obviously there were other issues but suffice it to say, we are no longer married.

Next up was a fellow who was an ultramarathoner (Apparently I'm a woman of extreems!). Obviously he "got" distance running, my running, and became my training partner. But, when that relationship ended, the loss of my training partner was huge and very difficult for me.

Subsequently, the next person I dated I converted into a runner :twisted: and they are attempting their first ultra this year. Although we no longer date, we still run and chat and as long as both of us are runners, we will always have that in common.

Mr C-lab, my current fellow, is not a neurotic runner such as I. He'll join me and the doggie for 10km or so but that is about it. I'm grateful he'll do 10km. Somedays I'd like him to train more with me and other days I'm happy to run alone. Does he get it? He gets it enough to know that right now, ultras are my dream and that is a priority. I'd rearrange my schedule to fit a run in if I had to but sometimes dates are cut short because of running and me wanting to go to bed early! He has his things he is passionate about. He might not want to run an ultra but he can respect it and he knows damn well he'd better be ready to crew at the end of May :twisted:

S5
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

DougG
Jerome Drayton

Postby DougG » Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:43 pm

And believe me, runners have nothing on golfers when it comes to obsessiveness and crankiness.

:naughty:

Ok ok , I'd gladly miss a run for a date...well not a first date, but if she was "special" then.... :wink: I can run anytime. :roll:
Miss a golf game? :shock: Depends on what course I was playing!!
injured
Snowflake 10k....stopped at 5k
Rest of the year a write off because of injury.
Snowflake 10k Jan 1 done
Run 4 Kids 10k Jan 7 done
Harry's Spring Run Off 8k. April 8 a disaster, but I finished
Centurion 50k at Horseshoe Valley (cycling) done
Centurion 50 miler at Blue Mountain (cycling) done.....barely!
Snowflake 5k, Dec 16 - done
Harry Rosen 8k. April. done
Rotary 5k fun run. May. done
CANI 10k. June. done
Canada Day 10k. July. done
Barrie Waterfront 5k. Aug. done
CANI 10 k. Oct. done
Base Borden Army Run 10k. done

moof324
Bill Crothers

Postby moof324 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:59 pm

Eric has been the most supportive significant other I could have ever dreamed of...he started out as a non-runner, he claimed to only be a climber. Well, finally I talked him into trying on a pair of running shoes. Then we started running/walking together. (in due time, he's now a marathoner, but this story takes place long before he was running anything of that distance!)

Soma 2005 (half iron) was the worst race I've ever had. Seriously--I was motion sick on the swim, almost dnf'd in the water, had a slowish (but felt ok on it) bike, and the run turned disastrous--I was tired, slow, queasy, etc. Because I was so slow/sick on the swim, bike and my transitions, I was starting the run just about at the bike cut-off. As a result, there were no aid stations even open on the run (lap one about 1/2 the stations were open, but by my second lap, only one even had any liquid left at it, but no people). Eric (the great spectator) noticed I was struggling partway through my first lap of the run, so he started jogging with me and the other guy who I'd been leapfrogging with. To start he was telling us he just wanted to get more pictures of me in the race. Pretty sweet, but not what I wanted to hear. I wanted some water or gatorade (it was at least 95 degrees, desert heat--the race was in Tempe). He ended up running the entire rest of the race with us (and a third guy we picked up along the way), running ahead to the one aid station that had supplies left and pouring water for us, etc., taking pictures, telling us jokes, encouraging us, etc. It turned out that we were the last three official finishers of the whole race--when we got to the finish, he ran ahead of us there to tell people we were still coming, and somehow got everyone that was left (maybe 10 people, at best!) to stand up and cheer.

All that and he was working on running 5K distance in his training at the time...so apparently it's o.k. to go from 5K to 10 miles with no training ;)

Just my little story about the greatest supporter I could ever hope for! :)
2010: Cautiously coming back from 14 months of injury!
June 12: Race for the Cure 5K, Raleigh
June 26: Legal Run-Around 5K, Wilmington (28:51, PR!)
Jan. 8-9, 2011: Goofy!

Marathon Count: 6
Half Count: 7

Alaskagirl
Bruce Kidd

Postby Alaskagirl » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:38 pm

My husband and I run together. I started running 8 or 9 year into our relationship and then he joined me a year or so after that. Just having a permanent running partner seems really supportive to me. He's also content to just go along with whatever goals I pick. It works out really nice. :D :D :D
This Year:
Spring Fling 5K, April 25:54
Farmer's Loop 10K, May 56:00
San Juan Island Half Marathon, June 2:15:36
Chuckanut 7 mile Footrace, July 1:07:09

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:53 pm

I don't have a significant other. So I never have to put my running before them. Though if I were to have one, then I am sure there would be some compromising on both sides if there was a conflict.
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:05 pm

TurtleLuc wrote: Leanne, my wife, is not a runner but has been very supportive with my running, however, she still worries when I race marathons.:D

After that little NCM stunt you pulled in 2006 I'm impressed Leanne allows you out of the house with running shoes on :roll: :wink: :wink:
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Bebette
Bill Crothers

Postby Bebette » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:17 pm

My husband is a walker/hiker/ice skater, but absolutely not a runner. He is a man of several obsessive hobbies, so we do our best to understand and support each other's obsessions. So far so good.
I run because it's fun.

In another life:
3 marathons including Boston twice (PB: 3:47), 6 halfs (PB: 1:45), 6 10k (PB: 46:41) and 3 5ks (PB: 21:00)

BaldGuy
Jerome Drayton

Postby BaldGuy » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:02 pm

MrsBG put up with me when I was a smoker, and she seems a lot happier to put up with me as a runner. Either way, though, she complains about the stinky clothes. ;-)
BG

Return to “General Running Discussion”