Manitoba Marathon Q's & A's

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Manitoba Marathon Q's & A's

Postby HCcD » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:43 pm

My friend was curious on just how flat the Manitoba Marathon course is ?? :roll: :wink:

What are the Pros and Cons of this event over the other Spring Marathons during the same time frame ??
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

hmacdonald
Bill Crothers

Postby hmacdonald » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:47 pm

I've never run it, I have been on the course though, cheering.

The BEST part of the Manitoba marathon (in my somewhat biased opinion) is that it is in Winnipeg! (and the Winnipeg maniacs are a great group of people)

Worst part... it can be damn hot, and there is the potential for a LOT of mosquitos.

I doubt that I will ever do it as it usually falls on Father's Day weekend, and because of a few personal reasons that have very sad memories associated with them.
Heather

"We over-committed, overweight middle-aged moms who have been athletic failures most of our lives don’t get much fanfare when we finally get off the couch and go for it, but there are a lot of us out there" - Seuss

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:48 pm

flat as a pancake... it's the prairies Andy! :roll:

I'm considering Manitoba... very seriously. Part of my half mary across the provinces tour. :lol:

You know you wanna... Manitoba maniacs... 'nuff said.
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

hmacdonald
Bill Crothers

Postby hmacdonald » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:50 pm

Marg wrote:flat as a pancake... it's the prairies Andy! :roll:

Well... there is that one overpass near the end... :wink:
Heather

"We over-committed, overweight middle-aged moms who have been athletic failures most of our lives don’t get much fanfare when we finally get off the couch and go for it, but there are a lot of us out there" - Seuss

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:50 pm

I'm considering Manitoba... very seriously. Part of my half mary across the provinces tour. :lol:

You know you wanna... Manitoba maniacs... 'nuff said.

Could be part of my spring marathon tour, as well ... Vancouver, Ottawa and Winnipeg :shock: :wink: :P

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:55 pm

Flat as a pancake. Even the overpass is flat (remember Pembina is flat and Bishop Grandin goes down).

Can be hot. Ask anyone who ran it in 2005.

Not great support - the crowd at the stadium is cool, and there's usually some support in Assiniboine Park and downtown, but otherwise not much support.

The stadium finish is neat - you finish with a lap of the track of University Stadium, family and friends get to sit in the stands and watch the finish.

Logistics can be difficult - the start and finish are at the U of M which is the deep south of the city, the expo (when I did it) was out by the airport and neither is near downtown.

If the weather is right, it'd be just about the fastest course around.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:55 pm

hmacdonald wrote:

Well... there is that one overpass near the end... :wink:

:shock: overpass ?? :shock: gulp !!! :shock: how steep and long is this overpass ??? :? :roll: :wink:

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:58 pm

Mike Runs wrote:Flat as a pancake. Even the overpass is flat (remember Pembina is flat and Bishop Grandin goes down).

Not great support - the crowd at the stadium is cool, and there's usually some support in Assiniboine Park and downtown, but otherwise not much support.

The stadium finish is neat - you finish with a lap of the track of University Stadium, family and friends get to sit in the stands and watch the finish.

Logistics can be difficult - the start and finish are at the U of M which is the deep south of the city, the expo (when I did it) was out by the airport and neither is near downtown.

This is great Mike, thanks. I didn't realize the finish is at the U of M. That would really make it a special race for me. Might even venture over to the grotto for a flashback to the 80s. This is a perfect reason to make a trip home... I'm sold. 8) Well, will discuss with the family first but... I'm sold.
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:58 pm

since some of the Wpg maniacs thought that Regina was hilly :wink: , then I think the description of this being flat is quite accurate.

BTW, Regina is pretty darn flat too.
Race Hard. Race Happy.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:00 pm

Hmm :think::think: wonder if the Local Maniac Sherpa's / Host(es)s are home that weekend ?? :think::pray::pray: :wink:

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:02 pm

Marg wrote:
Mike Runs wrote:Flat as a pancake. Even the overpass is flat (remember Pembina is flat and Bishop Grandin goes down).

This is great Mike, thanks. I didn't realize the finish is at the U of M. That would really make it a special race for me. Might even venture over to the grotto for a flashback to the 80s. This is a perfect reason to make a trip home... I'm sold. 8) Well, will discuss with the family first but... I'm sold.

I used to live in Fort Richmond, just off Dalhousie, and I could hear the cheering for the race every year. This was years before I started to run and I never imagined I would be part of that crowd someday.

I'd love to do Winnipeg again, revenge for 2005, but not this year. Plus I'm done with hot weather racing.

Seriously, the overpass is nothing, I don't think there's any climbing at all.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

KBO
Ben Johnson

Postby KBO » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:37 pm

The course is FLAT. I wouldn't lie Andy....flat flat flat. Even the annoying overpass on Bishop Grandin at mile 24 is really nothing other than a very slight annoyance at that point in the race. There is one other overpass/underpass on Pembina Highway at about mile 7 on the course.

It is June on the prairies. It could be hot, cool or in between. There are more years when we have experienced good conditions than poor conditions. I don't think that there are any more weather risks for this race than any other races across the country in May or June.

There isn't a ton of crowd support but there is quite a bit at certain locations and overall it is an attractive course. After experiencing the bleakness of the Vegas course I now think the MB course is even nicer than I did before.

The stadium finish is a blast. There are also separate finish areas for half and relay runners and the full marathoners. Full marathoners have the whole infield to themselves and have great post-race support.

Logistics have improved over the years in terms of parking and getting to and from the start/finish area. Maniacs need not worry about this at all as you would be completely and totally looked after and wouldn't even have to concern yourself with it.

Good volunteer support and the course is very well-marked. :wink:

Mouse (Marilyn) hands out medals to finishers. :D

I'm sure that those visited us last year will have feedback for you as well.

Karen

PS: Manitoba Maniacs are always happy to get together. Just give us a reason for a meet and greet or a post-race party....or both!

neepsgirl
Johnny Miles

Postby neepsgirl » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:41 pm

While I have not ran the MB full, I have ran the MB 1/2 and the Ottawa 1/2. And in comparing the two, I have to say that the Ottawa course is tougher in terms of elevation! I thought that I heard people say that Ottawa was flat.... hmmph, nope... not when compared to MB anyway.

Jo

dwayne_runs_far
Bill Crothers

Postby dwayne_runs_far » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:52 pm

I'll jump in here with a few additional comments.

There are three points in the course where you perceive any sort of elevation gain - just before mile 7 (Jubilee Overpass), about mile 9 (Queenston Hill - a tiny bump of maybe 15 feet climb over 400 yards) and the closest thing to heartbreak hill is mounting that bloody overpass at mile 24. A couple years ago it was raining and the wind was in our face as we hit that.

Having met maniacs from all over the place, I have no doubt we're the most fun here in Winnipeg :-)

As Karen said, the collective local maniacs would make a heck of a party out of the weekend. I know I'll be in party mode as I'm probably not running it this year as I have official cheering duties.

Dwayne

edit to add: The stadium finish is one of the best things I've experienced in my racing, it adds such a cool feeling as you hit that track for the last 300m.
I run distance because I want to be in good shape when I die.
--
Friends don't let friends do anything stupid.
Alone.
Blackfoot 2007.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:59 pm

KBO wrote:The course is FLAT. I wouldn't lie Andy....flat flat flat. Even the annoying overpass on Bishop Grandin at mile 24 is really nothing other than a very slight annoyance at that point in the race. There is one other overpass/underpass on Pembina Highway at about mile 7 on the course.

My definition of "flat" now will be compared to that of the Las Vegas Marathon course ... :wink: everything else, would be considered as "hilly" ... :shock: :lol: :wink:

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:59 pm

dwayne_runs_far wrote:I'll jump in here with a few additional comments.

There are three points in the course where you perceive any sort of elevation gain - just before mile 7 (Jubilee Overpass), about mile 9 (Queenston Hill - a tiny bump of maybe 15 feet climb over 400 yards) and the closest thing to heartbreak hill is mounting that bloody overpass at mile 24. A couple years ago it was raining and the wind was in our face as we hit that.

Having met maniacs from all over the place, I have no doubt we're the most fun here in Winnipeg :-)

As Karen said, the collective local maniacs would make a heck of a party out of the weekend. I know I'll be in party mode as I'm probably not running it this year as I have official cheering duties.

Dwayne

edit to add: The stadium finish is one of the best things I've experienced in my racing, it adds such a cool feeling as you hit that track for the last 300m.

Is it bad that I didn't know that there was a hill there?

To correct something I said earlier, I see they've moved the expo to the U of M so one of my logistics concerns is gone.

Vegas was (I am not exaggerating) 100 times hillier than Manitoba.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:03 pm

Mike Runs wrote:
dwayne_runs_far wrote:I'll jump in here with a few additional comments.

Dwayne

To correct something I said earlier, I see they've moved the expo to the U of M so one of my logistics concerns is gone.

Vegas was (I am not exaggerating) 100 times hillier than Manitoba.

Where were the hills (err, blips) in Vegas ?? :shock: :? :roll: :wink:

dwayne_runs_far
Bill Crothers

Postby dwayne_runs_far » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:13 pm

Mike Runs wrote:
dwayne_runs_far wrote:I about mile 9 (Queenston Hill - a tiny bump of maybe 15 feet climb over 400 yards)

Nope, it's that insignificant of a hill that it's a bit of an inside joke :-)
I run distance because I want to be in good shape when I die.

--

Friends don't let friends do anything stupid.

Alone.

Blackfoot 2007.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:15 pm

dwayne_runs_far wrote:
Mike Runs wrote:
dwayne_runs_far wrote:I about mile 9 (Queenston Hill - a tiny bump of maybe 15 feet climb over 400 yards)

sounds similar to that of Hog's Hollow on the Toronto Marathon course :wink: :shock: :lol:

KBO
Ben Johnson

Postby KBO » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:20 pm

Queenston Hill Ha! That 'hill' gets me every time I run down Wellington Crescent!

Andy, MB is flat as pancake in comparison to Vegas. Vegas had that sort of steady annoying slight climb from about mile 6 to 12 I believe...then there were a couple of underpasses, then the downhill at the end. Overall though...it was relatively flat. So, if you think Vegas was flat you would be shocked by the 'flatness' of MB. :shock:

Come on...you know you waaaaaaana.

This is posted on the MB Marathon site:

This is an event where an elevation map isn't needed - with a maximum elevation change of 3 metres (10 feet), well, look at your table top and that's what you'll get!

NewFinnLoper
Jerome Drayton

Postby NewFinnLoper » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:29 pm

dwayne_runs_far wrote:
Mike Runs wrote:

:wink: :wink:
22 halfs (PR 1:42:02) :)
5 full (PR 3:48:21)
...and a smattering of adventure and trail races thrown in for good measure!
--------------------------
All running is on hold until further notice .... :0(

NewFinnLoper
Jerome Drayton

Postby NewFinnLoper » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:30 pm

dwayne_runs_far wrote:As Karen said, the collective local maniacs would make a heck of a party out of the weekend. I know I'll be in party mode as I'm probably not running it this year as I have official cheering duties.

I'm not planning to run it this year either...first time in 5 years I won't have set a 'race' foot on the course...I am REALLY looking forward to re-paying on the cheering department!!!
22 halfs (PR 1:42:02) :)
5 full (PR 3:48:21)
...and a smattering of adventure and trail races thrown in for good measure!
--------------------------
All running is on hold until further notice .... :0(

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:33 pm

KBO wrote:Queenston Hill Ha! That 'hill' gets me every time I run down Wellington Crescent!

Andy, MB is flat as pancake in comparison to Vegas. Vegas had that sort of steady annoying slight climb from about mile 6 to 12 I believe...then there were a couple of underpasses, then the downhill at the end. Overall though...it was relatively flat. So, if you think Vegas was flat you would be shocked by the 'flatness' of MB. :shock:

Come on...you know you waaaaaaana.

This is posted on the MB Marathon site:

This is an event where an elevation map isn't needed - with a maximum elevation change of 3 metres (10 feet), well, look at your table top and that's what you'll get!

still thinking seriously about Winnipeg ... though, it mean just a 1/2 in Ottawa, in particular if I do Vancouver in May :think::think::think:

Any Manitobans coming out to Ottawa Race Weekend ?? :roll: :wink:

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:35 pm

btw: Is this the one with free beer and pizza at the post race yummies ?? :roll: :wink: :pray::pray:

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:35 pm

dwayne_runs_far wrote:
Mike Runs wrote:

Seriously, I was trying to picture Wellington Crescent in my mind, thinking you were maybe talking about the railway crossing...

Return to “General Running Discussion”