Super Sunday!

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:12 am

Good luck Montreal and Vancouver racers!!!

I just got up :oops: Like Pat, I had a pretty good night of drinking and fallen asleep on the couch, yep its me the party animal!!

Maybe I'm going to run today... but there is lots to do for the apt.
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

braveheart
Lynn Williams

Postby braveheart » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:22 am

had these wonderful plans to get up early and swim and go to the bridal shower but :oops: a late movie and even later company...a drink and company leaving at 2am means I woke up and need to get ready for the bridal shower but packing my swim clothes for after...

Enjoy the day for those racing and running
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
Don't give up before the miracle.
**formerly campbellskid**

दिवंगत
Bill Crothers

Postby दिवंगत » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:53 am

Great morning for a run. 12k in 1:12:xx this morning for my LSD. Legs were a little heavy from yesterday's long ride but after a couple of k they loosened up nicely. In the last month I have brought my pace at ~139BPM down from 6:00/k to 5:36/k - pretty happy with that.

Good luck to the racers!

ceileigh
Bill Crothers

Postby ceileigh » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:58 am

I headed out for yesterday's LSD that simply did not happen. Total 16KM. I have dropped to 5:1 but it seems to be working. Still slow but ... if I can do that a month from now I can find another 5 and do a half! Our weather .... 10C with 15kph winds. Predicted high 22C

Hello spring!

lisaannr
Abby Hoffman

Postby lisaannr » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:12 am

Good luck racers! It's a beautiful sunny day here .. a little cold but that makes it a perfect day for running for me. ;)

20k on the schedule... my legs have been super tired this week so this is sure to be a difficult run. Going to switch the route around a bit as I am a little bored of my usual route along the river. :roll:

carpe_viam
Percy Williams

Postby carpe_viam » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:16 am

We are enjoying this beautiful weather, spent yesterday cleaning the yard and BBQ'ing.

Went for my run last night and really enjoyed it. I ended up walking the last run interval because of some wicked cramping, not sure what that was about. I really notice a difference in my cardio from when I first started the C25K program only 11 short days ago. Wow! It's amazing what sticking with a program can do to you.

I registered for the MB Marathon Super Run on Friday - so now I am committed and am getting quite excited about it.

Today will be filled with carting my girls to dance class and doing some spring cleaning. Happy Sunday everyone!
Sarah

klc
Jerome Drayton

Postby klc » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:23 am

Just heading out for another run here in White Rock. Can't let those hills get the better of me! I am sooooo jealous of the weather back home. :cry:

I'm not sure what it is about B.C., but I have been absolutely starving since I got here! :?

Good luck racers!

horselady
Bill Crothers

Postby horselady » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:24 am

Best of luck to all the racers today! Another lovely day here in the valley. 8) Spent the morning unloading hay out of our mow, so I will call that my strength workout. :wink:
Have a bunch of tomatoes I need to repot, with this weather looking really forward to gardening seasons. Daffodils are blooming and alot of the perennials are poking up through the soil!
12K LSD on schedule for today or tomorrow.
" The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a man" Winston Churchill"
2013 Plans so Far
Princess Half Marathon Orlando Feb 23
Run for the Reach Water StationVolunteer April 14
Spring Fling Running Thing April 21 10k
Gran Fondo Road Race July 20th
Ride the Rideau 100km Sept 8
Army 1/2 Marathon Sept 22
http://ridetherideau.ca/give
Smattering of horse shows

Run26.2
Jerome Drayton

Postby Run26.2 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:50 am

Ran the first 11km of the Ottawa marathon course today...then doubled back for a run up and down the Rideau Canal......great day for running in the nation's capital....26km in total....
"...twenty miles of hope, six miles of truth..."
21 marathons since 2001......up next, CND Army half-marathon in Sept. and Toronto Waterfront marathon in Oct.

JacSprat
Bill Crothers

Postby JacSprat » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:58 am

QuickChick wrote:Westerners, stay strong! That weather is just wrong. Good luck racers! I am going to head out for 16-18km in a bit. I am waiting for a life insurance rep to come and take my blood (SERIOUSLY!!). I would've thought at 30, and being in pretty much perfect health, that this was a bit much, but apparently it's standard practice. :?

That's funny QC :D I agree...the weather's just wrong. Hang in there Westerners. It WILL end.....surely :!:

Got to the RR for my 18k lsd run this morning and was asked as soon as I got in the door if I'd lead the 2.15 group. Yikes :shock: Say what :!: Considering I'm a novice group runner, a novice RR member, a novice 1/2 marathoner, a novice Garmin user, a novice at keeping any sort of pace, and even a novice Haligonian who doesn't know her way around too well.......oh well, we all made it back...I think :D :D

Had a super run too - sunshine, no wind, capris and light top.

Thinking of today's racers and prepers :D
Jacqui

------------------------
MyTraining

Scotty
Bill Crothers

Postby Scotty » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:05 am

Well, my first true brick workout today.

25km bike, 5km run in under 90 minutes.

Now my legs are gibbled. Gibbled, it's a technical term really. :roll:
For me life is continuously being hungry. The meaning of life is not simply to exist, to survive, but to move ahead, to go up, to achieve, to conquer.
~Arnold Schwarzenegger

"Everybody pities the weak; jealousy, you have to earn."

babysteps
Jerome Drayton

Postby babysteps » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:13 am

Good luck racers!!

I am nervous about my run today. I want to do 20k which I would usually do most of on the trail, but the trail is still covered in snow so I need to use another route. This will take me through town (:oops:), and along a very hilly, hilly route. Ack! This will also be my, by far, longest outside run of the season. Last week I did 18k but I did the last 6k on the TM. Today I want to do it all outside. My plan is to just take it as easy as I need to and not worry about pace. Just get the miles in.

Wish me luck. Hopefully I make it home!!

SusanD
Bill Crothers

Postby SusanD » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:26 am

Good luck to all racers and preppers! :D Can't wait for all the race reports.

Just some weights & core work on the sched for me today. Sometime. Later today. Whenever. It's been a hectic week so today is a take-it-as-it-comes day. Lots of Spelling Bee practice w/DD (she won the regionals and is now on to the provincials). W/all this quizzing, I'm learning sum stuf too! :P

Happy Sunny Sunday all! :D

ETA: luck babysteps
Done: Full 2, 30k 2, 25k 1, Half 11, 13k 2, 10k 2, 8k 1, 5k 20 ...
Hmmm... this needs an update!

Bebette
Bill Crothers

Postby Bebette » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:42 pm

CinC--For once, I will agree with QC about the weather. This s*cks!

QC--I know what you mean about life insurance. We had to go through that last summer when we bought extra life insurance. Have you been through the phone interview yet? The blood work is nothing by comparison... :evil:

Another two long weeks before I hopefully will get the OK to start running. In nice days like today, it drives me nuts not being able to run. At least I am able to walk and I did a 1h stroll while my daughters were having tae kwon do.
I run because it's fun.

In another life:
3 marathons including Boston twice (PB: 3:47), 6 halfs (PB: 1:45), 6 10k (PB: 46:41) and 3 5ks (PB: 21:00)

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:51 pm

Just back from the Boston Tea Party Brunch, met a whack of Boston running maniacs, now I'm nervous, all the talk of racing and plans did it. Everyone looked great, also met the oldest Canadian running the Boston Marathon, very impressive at 7x years young, very nice man.
JoJo had a good time showing everyone my Drivers License.
I'm sure there will be plenty of pictures coming.

Doonst and I watched the Woman's Marathon Trials before brunch, very exciting.

Now resting, sipping on water and honey, and second guessing everything I have done in the last 4 months.

Tomorrow will be a good day to run!!
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:38 pm

Warm day at over 20 degrees.The body is not used to it yet. I managed to do just over 12K despite nagging groin and hamstring.
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:41 pm

Bebette wrote:CinC--For once, I will agree with QC about the weather. This s*cks!

QC--I know what you mean about life insurance. We had to go through that last summer when we bought extra life insurance. Have you been through the phone interview yet? The blood work is nothing by comparison... :evil:

The phone interview was funny- I had next to no voice and probably wasn't very convincing in my claims of perfect health. LOL. I survived the blood work this morning AND her scale was 5lbs lighter than mine! Woohoo!!

I had a great long run this morning- 20.64km in 1:58 for a 5:42 pace. FINALLY... I haven't had a great long run in awhile. This next part is teeny so Albertans don't have to read it... it was so nice out today! I am excited about running again and can't wait to start serious training. I was thrilled, too, to learn of a couple great PBs at Montreal! Woohoo! Now it's time to cheer our Raps out of the dumpster (the first 3 quarters of the game have been pretty rough) to a win. LET'S GO RAPTORS!!
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:54 pm

Yay, half marathon #5 is done. I NEED new sneakers.
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

runJrun
Bill Crothers

Postby runJrun » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:52 pm

Currently looking out my window at the blizzard, sipping coffee and relaxing. The St. ALbert 10 miler is done, I did it and I think I wind/snow burned my face. I am now officially done with winter running. Seriously! Was supposed to go for bday dinner with parents this evening however that has been canceled due to the highway conditions. I have ice cream, I have chips and I have wine. Party for one here I come :)
Jocelyn

I run because it's my passion, and not just a sport. Every time I walk out the door, I know why I'm going where I'm going and I'm already focused on that special place where I find my peace and solitude. Running, to me, is more than just a physical exercise...it's a consistent reward for victory!
- Sasha Azevedo

julieruns
Johnny Miles

Postby julieruns » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:25 pm

I'm sitting here in my condo watching the Sun Runners go over the Cambie Street Bridge, wish I could get over this flu! It's driving me crazy! :cry:
congrats to everyone who did the sun run and good luck to the Boston Marathoners!
Next up:
Haida Gwaii 1/2 (Queen Charlotte Islands) July '08

lisaannr
Abby Hoffman

Postby lisaannr » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:30 pm

20k done... my last long run before Vancouver. yeehaww! Avg pace was 6:26/km, probably a little faster than what should be my LSD pace. :roll:

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:35 pm

Dr. Sonia wrote:Good luck Montreal and Vancouver racers!!!

I guess the Edmonton racers are so tough we don't need luck. ;)

And tough we are... 500+ showed up this morning for the St. Albert 10-miler. It was brutal! Fresh snow over slippery roads... snowing and blowing for the entire race. The last mile was all downhill, which should have been nice--but we also were heading directly into a brutal wind which pelted snow at our faces, making the last mile the most miserable.

Even under those conditions, the winner finished in 56 minutes!!

I did 1:49:23, which isn't bad considering the conditions and my complete lack of training. :P
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

babysteps
Jerome Drayton

Postby babysteps » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:46 pm

Back from my LSD. It wasn't pretty, but it's done.

About 17k in I just kept thinking to myself "How do people ever run marathons...and how do they ever run them fast enough to qualify for Boston!!!?"

All you Marathoners and speedsters really have my respect and admiration!

jen_runs
Tom Longboat

Postby jen_runs » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:51 pm

Ran a 5k race this morning in the blizzard. I posted a race report, just cause I feel like it was a big accomplishment.

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:22 pm

klewlis wrote:And tough we are... 500+ showed up this morning for the St. Albert 10-miler. It was brutal! Fresh snow over slippery roads... snowing and blowing for the entire race. The last mile was all downhill, which should have been nice--but we also were heading directly into a brutal wind which pelted snow at our faces, making the last mile the most miserable.

Even under those conditions, the winner finished in 56 minutes!!

I did 1:49:23, which isn't bad considering the conditions and my complete lack of training. :P

Jeezzzz... some people have all the luck! Those are the elements I seem to do the best in.... I crashed & burned after 6k in Montreal :lol: :lol: :lol:
Image Fortes Fortuna Juvat!
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
Never really ready but always ready!

Return to “General Running Discussion”