Running while traveling...

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Agent Provocateur
Bill Crothers

Running while traveling...

Postby Agent Provocateur » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:13 pm

Do you travel for work? Do you bring your running clothes when you go?

If you are in a new city, would you ask your hotel for a running route suggestion? Would you like them to provide a running buddy? Would you buy route maps for a reasonable price?

I recently booked a room at a Westin hotel and they have a running concierge. I thought that was kind of neat. What do you think of that?
Love life, eat plants, do yoga.

tri princess
Bruce Kidd

Postby tri princess » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:20 pm

When we (my husband and I) travel, we always take our running clothes and run while we're in a new city. If we're there long enough we look for an organized run that we can do. Once we did a 5K on the 4th of July in Seattle. Fun. Tomorrow my family is leaving for our vacation in Oregon and my husband and I are going to run the Tillamook Bay Run. It's an 8K trail run out and back on a spit into the ocean. Supposed to be gorgeous. It makes us really excited about our trip.

A couple days ago we bought a sofa and the furniture store was giving away trips to Las Vegas as a bonus. When they told us that, we both looked at each other and said, "The marathon!" The salesperson looked at us like we were crazy but to us that's the perfect trip.

I think it's cool that the Westin has a running concierge.
Dissatisfaction is a great starting point, for it is right there that we have the most power, strength, and energy to push change through. ~ David DeNotaris

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:37 pm

I don't travel for work, but I take my gear when I travel for fun. I usually just look at a map of the city that I'm in and look for parks... and then just explore. :)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:42 pm

yes yes yes no yes ok

(that was a lot of questions)

The problem with hotel concierges and maps is that they're usually geared to shorter runs. I've asked hotels for route maps and they often give routes that are 2-3k. At the Fairmont in SF, they gave me a couple simple little routes around the neighbourhood, when I said I wanted a run that lasted 2 hours and went over the Golden Gate Bridge they looked at me like I had a second head.

If I know runners at my destination, I'll ask them where to run. I also check runtheplanet.com, mapmyrun.com, and local running clubs. Or I check at a local running store.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

rockstar79
Bill Crothers

Postby rockstar79 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:12 am

More or less same responses as above... my running clothes always get packed, and I usually travel IN my running shoes (not the most attractive thing, but it's a weird little tradition that I have. And those shoes take up a lot of room in a bag!).

Same as those above, I'll either look for an organized run, check out mapmyrun for ideas, or ask friends for nearby trails. I usually book my own hotels, so if I have a choice, I'll phone ahead to check out which has a treadmill / gym. That kind of stuff. Seems like a bunch of little things, but it does all take effort.

I find it really hard to be motivated when I'm on the road, so I've just gotten it in my head that even if I'm going to the most remote place on earth (which is a potential, given the places I work), I always pack a set of running clothes and bring my shoes. I've gotten to run in some fabulous places for it! The tone of a city changes once you are off the beaten track.
Next?
:)

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:23 am

I always take my gear when I travel, but have never used a running concierge. Kind of neat, yeah-- I like to explore on my own, but it is good to have an idea of where to go. I also always book hotels with a gym with a treadmill, too, for more options.

When I have to do a long run away from home, I simply hook up with local maniacs. :) So far I haven't travelled to places where I don't know people that are runners when I need to do a long run.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:13 am

Always, yes! I even ran at our all-inclusive resort in Mexico over New Year's. I feel really yucky if I don't run. I use gmaps to map out a route from my hotel/house I'm staying at, or if for example the person I'm staying with uses dial up (Heather) and gmap won't load, I used the "run on one road till you can't go any further, then turn and do the same thing, remembering the street names" technique. I ran out for a certain amount of time and turned around.

I suppose the only thing could be if there is a bad neighbourhood near where you're staying, in which case asking someone for streets to avoid would be a smart idea.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:19 am

I travelled a lot for work and always brought my gear. I either used the treadmill or ran with my boss (she has done 3 Bostons) so she was pretty fun to go with.

bruyere
Abby Hoffman

Postby bruyere » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:46 am

You be quiet, Lisa!!

I bring stuff, and I usually do ask at the hotel... not necessarily for specific routes, but just "do and don't" areas.

In Toulouse, I knew people run along the canals, but when I asked for advice at the hotel, I was told "Le jogging dans la rue? Non non non, on ne fait pas ça!" And it's true. The streets and sidewalks are super narrow. In the 7 minutes it took me to get to the canal, I leering comments 3 times ("Oh! Une sportive... j'aimes les sportives..." "Hé les belle cuisses... et les fesses!") and I was pretty uncomfortable until I got to the canal.

Last year, in Chicago, I just researched a bit where the dodgy areas were and avoided them. But other times, I've just gone out and run (like within the gated community in Cuernavaca Mexico).

But yes, bring the gear, and run! It's a great way to see a new place.
"I was thinking of you yesterday as I was running through the woods. As I jumped over a fallen tree I said "If I were [bruyere], I'd be bleeding by now"." - Turd Ferguson

Engmomma
Abby Hoffman

Postby Engmomma » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:54 am

Always travel with my running stuff. That is what I like about running, you don't have to depend on a gym or specific machine.

I have routes in Ottawa, Sudbury and at the cottage. My best Ontario route is in Sudbury where I can run 3.5k from the hotel to the YMCA, do a weight workout and run back. Perfect distance. I have also found some back woods trails.

When I am in the States I usually g-map it. Found an awesome rail trail in St. Charles MO that way.
The Summer of Eng is over.

ChrisL
Jerome Drayton

Postby ChrisL » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:58 am

Yes, I always bring my stuff, but sometimes running outside is not always possible. I always try to get a hotel with a gym, or close to a park or any area where it is possible to run. Like it or not, Canada has a lot of runners and most drivers know how to deal with it. In other countries, running is not that common, and the runners all belong to clubs, a la Running Room. In asia, running outside is pretty well imposssible, or worst dangerous. In Europe, it is hit and miss. In London, it is a bit better if you are close to Hype Park or close to the Thames (the best place to run). In Paris, the Eiffel tower park, is where I stick to.

If you speak the language, one could try to meet one of the running clubs of the city.
Faster, stronger, meaner....Arrgh, matey!

If you are not first, you're last - Reese Bobby

garth
Bill Crothers

Postby garth » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:18 am

Anything beyond an overnight I bring my stuff and then just take opportunity when it knocks.

May take some research of communities that you are going to but I would think that in most larger centers, there would be running clubs, stores etc that do runs and welcome guests or at least suggest routes and give safety advise for areas.
Please consider the jobs of those in the forest industry before deciding not to print stuff

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:29 am

I bring my running stuff whether I am travelling for work or for pleasure. I even tuck it in for ski vacations, just in case the conditions suck.

Most hotels I've stayed at they've bene pretty good about having running routes, either available form the concierge or in the information book in the room. The Hyatt in Vancouver had a little take along map card in the room. I always check http://www.runtheplanet.com before going as well.

Cities I've run in (other than races) are:
San Francisco
NYC
Tampa
Chicago
Boston
Vancouver
Halifax
Geneva
Dresden
Paris

In Tampa, the info was harder to get from the hotel and the desk clerk seemed a bit peeved that she had to pull out the map. If possible, I would ask a concierge rather than a clerk.

I tend to run in the mornings when travelling, I use my Garmin and I run by time rather than distance.
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

ChadR
Percy Williams

Postby ChadR » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:54 am

I wind up travelling quite a bit to small towns, and not cities, so asking at the front desk for places to run is usually a waste of time, but when I was outside of Jasper last month, one of the front desk staff does some mountain biking, and he had some maps built for hiking routes around the lodge, and it turns out there was quite a trail system outside. I spent my late afternoons exploring in my trail shoes, and found some really neat areas, and worked my way down to the Athabasca river.

Other than that, I had good luck asking on this forum when I was in the GTA earlier this year, and found a Running Room not 10 minutes drive from my hotel, and used one of their routes to put in some miles, and some cities/ towns websites have maps of their biking trails, or cross country ski trails, if you're lucky.

cgraham
Bill Crothers

Postby cgraham » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:01 am

Most of what you've read here is good advice.

normally, I'll look at the area on Google Maps, and see if there are any routes that look plausible, then head out and explore

I haven't found things like mapmyrun.com all that useful, since much of what's posted doesnt' seem to correspond with where I'm staying, but asking on local running boards can be quite good.

And, when you're in an urban area - it does help to ask the concierge desk. Sometimes it's the best thing. This past March when I was in Osaka, the hotel I stayed at was in the middle of the city with stoplights everywhere. The concierge desk had a suggestion - it wound up being laps around a baseball diamond in a park about 1km away, but at least I didn't have to wait for a stoplight every block or so. The second day I was there I tried a different route, but gave up and went back to the park.
2009 Highlights
Marathon - 2:54:05 (Mar 22 - Tokyo)
Half - 1:20:00 (Apr 26 - Hartwell)
5k - 17:09 (Acura 5k - Jul 19)
800m - 2:16.80 (York U - Jul 28 )
Now - Getting back my running fitness
My training log

Why practice running slow? It comes naturally!

"There are two types of injuries that we older runners get: those that we can run with and those that we can't. And if you're over 30 and don't have one or the other, you aren't training hard enough." - Younger Legs blog

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:06 am

I always take at least one pair of running clothes, and then play it by ear (unless i am training for something, then i make myself run).

I usually look up good walking paths in a city beforehand and then figure out how to get to them when i get there (i ask at the hotel desk/B and B).

In Brazil though, i have to be super careful both for traffic and running into an unsafe area. In some cities (Belo Horizonte) i actually take a bus to a "run-friendly" area and then run there (no one just runs on the street in BH).

Tri_K
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tri_K » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:13 am

I always bring my stuff travelling for work or fun. I just explore too, but I'm usually travelling within Canada. Running in Spain was tough because of the heat and humidity. We ran once at midnight on the promenade at the beach - nothing like running on marble! And we did a trail run in the mountains that was totally awesome - one of the best parts of the whole trip.

windrunner
Johnny Miles

Postby windrunner » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:05 pm

almost always take my shoes and running clothes though i tend to stick to hotel treadmills in the winter (otherwise i end up taking as many running clothes as work clothes).

this year so far i've run in san francisco, vancouver, the canadian rockies, ottawa, frankfurt, florida, algonquin, calgary and toronto...

concierges are usually pretty good since they will steer you away from obviously dodgy areas...
Boston '09, '11

imagine330
Johnny Miles

Postby imagine330 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:42 pm

wow! a running concierge!!!! that is neat....but i do understand about giving short routes, i'm actually a supervisor at a 4 1/2 star property in the city here, and we are looking for ideas for our concierge desk!.....i have had numerous people ask me for running routes, the longest i think one guy wanted to do 10k.......but i just mapmyrun.com 'd it to find him a good route.......theres lots around the forks (where the hotel is) so it is pretty easy...but it might be neat to have different distances on preset maps......and to have the hotel find a running partner would be magnificent, however probably not that practical.... (unless i threw in my clothes for the day to go for a run with the guest..hahahah....which doesn't sound like such a bad idea!!!!)

scottp
Bruce Kidd

Postby scottp » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:02 pm

yup...for a Monday to Friday trip I take enough gear for 3 runs.

This can take up half the space in my suitcase in the wintertime and requires a bit of organization when it comes to putting it in drawers and closet in the hotel room. Also getting stuff dry after the run is tough if you don't have a balcony room.

Google maps, Runningmap.com, city trail maps online, and of course RM member suggestions are good resources for routes. Never tried a hotel running concierge...but have dropped into local running groups or RR stores.

So far...
Montreal
Winnipeg
Saskatoon
Prince Albert
Calgary
Edmonton
Vancouver
New York
Denver
San Jose

Cheers,

Scott

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:15 pm

imagine330 wrote:wow! a running concierge!!!! that is neat....but i do understand about giving short routes, i'm actually a supervisor at a 4 1/2 star property in the city here, and we are looking for ideas for our concierge desk!.....i have had numerous people ask me for running routes, the longest i think one guy wanted to do 10k.......but i just mapmyrun.com 'd it to find him a good route.......theres lots around the forks (where the hotel is) so it is pretty easy...but it might be neat to have different distances on preset maps......and to have the hotel find a running partner would be magnificent, however probably not that practical.... (unless i threw in my clothes for the day to go for a run with the guest..hahahah....which doesn't sound like such a bad idea!!!!)

I don't know if you've explored the site a lot but we have a user-contributed running map feature. Winnipeg is here

http://www.runningmania.com/resources/r ... ipeg&pid=3
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Agent Provocateur
Bill Crothers

Postby Agent Provocateur » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:03 pm

So for those of you who ferret out hotels near good running routes or parks, does it take a lot of time? Would life be easier if there was a service provider who would do it for you, for a fee?
Love life, eat plants, do yoga.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:07 pm

Agent Provocateur wrote:So for those of you who ferret out hotels near good running routes or parks, does it take a lot of time? Would life be easier if there was a service provider who would do it for you, for a fee?

It takes 5 minutes to look at a map and decide which way to head... I don't usually plan out an exact route when I'm just exploring a city. :)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:12 pm

Agent Provocateur wrote:So for those of you who ferret out hotels near good running routes or parks, does it take a lot of time? Would life be easier if there was a service provider who would do it for you, for a fee?

Most of the time my hotel choice is dictated by work - I get a hotel near where I need to work, and then plan running routes. I can't recall when I've chosen a hotel based on running needs.

imagine330
Johnny Miles

Postby imagine330 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:10 am

aside from a gratuity to the concierge not sure i also don't really know how well the "fee" thing would go over.....but i think it would be great to offer, not sure the demand is there to have something specifically dedicated to it, HOWEVER a good selection of routes and distances with corresponding maps would be VERY useful!.....

I LOVE the running map feature on this site! i had NO idea it was there!! (ps. my favorite is the ice cream run...hahahah....or i could walk 10 minutes from my house and be there too...hahah...but it would feel more satisfyingafter a long run...BEST icecream EVER!)... (i am a die hard BDI fan...).

Return to “General Running Discussion”