Women's Running Magazine

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Women's Running Magazine

Postby Dr. S » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:30 pm

Anyone heard of this magazine?? I am definitely interested in reading it and see how good it is.

You can get a free t-shirt too. :D

https://www.womensrunningmag.com/freeshirt-canada?form_id=11
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:54 pm

Kind of ironic that the last thing most runners need is another free cotton t-shirt
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:16 pm

Mike Runs wrote:Kind of ironic that the last thing most runners need is another free cotton t-shirt

Geez Mike, don't let that stop you from subscribing.

seuss
Kevin Sullivan

Postby seuss » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:21 pm

Mike Runs wrote:Kind of ironic that the last thing most runners need is another free cotton t-shirt

exactly what i was going to post - especially a unisex one. talk about being out of touch with your market.
2010 - gone viral?
2011 - mitochondrial mystery tour

Madame Bourette
Jerome Drayton

Postby Madame Bourette » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:31 am

No, last thing most runners need is another free t-shirt period.

Every times we race, we get one of these.

I use the cotton t-shirt to clean my bikes and I don't wear some of my technical t-shirts.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:00 am

OK, I have to say that this magazine looks a bit too soft for me.

And there's no way I'd wear a hot pink cotton T-shirt that said "Run Girl".

As for content, I'm disappointed that one of my favorite runner-athlete-writers (Matt Fitzgerald) has an article about "running less". If I see one more article about how to get better at running by running less, I'm going to SCREAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That was the first article-- I didn't click on any others.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

babysteps
Jerome Drayton

Postby babysteps » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:15 am

I read the article on weight where it refers to an athlete with a BMI of 22.8 (5'8", 150 lbs) as heavier. I'm getting a real mixed message here. :roll:

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:08 pm

babysteps wrote:I read the article on weight where it refers to an athlete with a BMI of 22.8 (5'8", 150 lbs) as heavier. I'm getting a real mixed message here. :roll:

i dunno, i thought the message was pretty clear. top-ranked athena athletes talking about how they're better athletes as athenas than they were when they were thinner. 150 is highlighted because it marks the athena racing class category. i don't see her being called heavier, but she is undeniably bigger than pop culture's "ideal size" stereotype. this take home message seems clear:

women's running wrote:But BMI may not be the gold standard of healthy weight information for everyone. For example, BMI results can be skewed by muscle mass, causing a female athlete to interpret her BMI result to mean that she should lose weight, when that may not be the case.

babysteps
Jerome Drayton

Postby babysteps » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:24 pm

trisupporter wrote:
babysteps wrote:I read the article on weight where it refers to an athlete with a BMI of 22.8 (5'8", 150 lbs) as heavier. I'm getting a real mixed message here. :roll:

i dunno, i thought the message was pretty clear. top-ranked athena athletes talking about how they're better athletes as athenas than they were when they were thinner. 150 is highlighted because it marks the athena racing class category. i don't see her being called heavier, but she is undeniably bigger than pop culture's "ideal size" stereotype. this take home message seems clear:

women's running wrote:But BMI may not be the gold standard of healthy weight information for everyone. For example, BMI results can be skewed by muscle mass, causing a female athlete to interpret her BMI result to mean that she should lose weight, when that may not be the case.

I agree with you...I just think the discussion about BMI is skewed. They say that BMI isn't necessarily a way to assess healthy weight, and they use her as an example (by making the whole article about this woman) yet she is at a very healthy weight with a BMI of 22.8.

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:37 pm

babysteps wrote:
trisupporter wrote:

I agree with you...I just think the discussion about BMI is skewed. They say that BMI isn't necessarily a way to assess healthy weight, and they use her as an example (by making the whole article about this woman) yet she is at a very healthy weight with a BMI of 22.8.

oh, okay -- i understand what you mean now. that it would've been nice to portray a woman with an "overweight" BMI who was nonetheless at her ideal weight for racing. you're right.

bnn
Jerome Drayton

Postby bnn » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:54 pm

well I bit. I like pink more and more in my old age (weird for a redhead though) and I just felt like buying something frivolous.
Just call me the thread killa

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:29 pm

Jwolf wrote:And there's no way I'd wear a hot pink cotton T-shirt that said "Run Girl".

Me too.
I did buy a black T-Shirt that said "Marathon Woman" at a recent Sports Expo :D :D

I'm not tempted to subscribe. Maybe I'm wrong but I suspect that most of the articles will be geared towards women who are much younger than me.
:roll:
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

ChrisL
Jerome Drayton

Postby ChrisL » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:15 pm

One thing I noticed when I looked at the website is the google generated ads on the right of the page, which are kind of weird.

For the article called "Perfect Weight", there was one ad on "Eating Disorder Doctors" and one on "2008 Diet of the year". One the "Nutrition myths", the one ad was called "How to lose the belly fat".

This magazine seems more on fluff than information.
Faster, stronger, meaner....Arrgh, matey!

If you are not first, you're last - Reese Bobby

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:24 pm

is it affiliated with any other running mags? I couldn't figure that out from the site....
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:30 pm

I think the whole idea of a women's running magazine is rather gimmicky. I mean, really, how much is different for women in running? Pretty much... nothing. There's running through pregnancy and maybe some nutritional differences. Otherwise, what do we do differently? Definitely not enough to warrant an entire magazine... even the women's running books are pretty much the same as every other running book except they have a few chapters on pregnancy and menstrual cycles.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:32 pm

klewlis wrote:I think the whole idea of a women's running magazine is rather gimmicky. I mean, really, how much is different for women in running? Pretty much... nothing. There's running through pregnancy and maybe some nutritional differences. Otherwise, what do we do differently? Definitely not enough to warrant an entire magazine... even the women's running books are pretty much the same as every other running book except they have a few chapters on pregnancy and menstrual cycles.

Yep..I totally agree.
And considering I'm beyond getting pregnant...and actually beyond menstrual cycles I doubt this magazine would have anything to offer me.

Well...unless they have articles about extremely crabby gray haired older runners...then I might consider subscribing :wink:
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:10 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:Well...unless they have articles about extremely crabby gray haired older runners...then I might consider subscribing :wink:

I've seen some articles about this in the senior's magazines. :P
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:17 pm

Jwolf wrote:
Jo-Jo wrote:Well...unless they have articles about extremely crabby gray haired older runners...then I might consider subscribing :wink:

I've seen some articles about this in the senior's magazines. :P

I can hardly wait until you hit your 50's Jenn.
It's so going to be "pay back time" for me... :evil: :twisted: :shock: :wink:

I'll be having a chat with you about this when I mooch off you next May :roll: :wink:

The Joggler
Bruce Kidd

Postby The Joggler » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:28 pm

Jo-Jo's going to launch her own publication: Crabby Grey-Haired Woman's Running Magazine.

Ed Fizz
Bill Crothers

Postby Ed Fizz » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:35 pm

The Joggler wrote:Jo-Jo's going to launch her own publication: Crabby Grey-Haired Woman's Running Magazine.

Will a subscription include a free cotton t-shirt?

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:45 pm

Ed Fizz wrote:
The Joggler wrote:Jo-Jo's going to launch her own publication: Crabby Grey-Haired Woman's Running Magazine.

Jo-Jo is willing to enter negotiations with Canadian Running Magazine regarding writing a column targeted to crabby gray haired women.

Her lawyer will be in touch with The Joggler :wink:

She is not intending to offer a T-Shirt...she's thinking more along the lines of a little towel to deal with "hot flashes" :D

Run26.2
Jerome Drayton

Postby Run26.2 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:49 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:
Ed Fizz wrote:

Jo-Jo is willing to enter negotiations with Canadian Running Magazine regarding writing a column targeted to crabby gray haired women.

Her lawyer will be in touch with The Joggler :wink:

She is not intending to offer a T-Shirt...she's thinking more along the lines of a little towel to deal with "hot flashes" :D
Jo-Jo, I'd line up with IRun.....it's very Maniac friendly...;)
"...twenty miles of hope, six miles of truth..."
21 marathons since 2001......up next, CND Army half-marathon in Sept. and Toronto Waterfront marathon in Oct.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:52 pm

Based on the "women's" magazines that get left around my house, I can picture the topics right now.

- 265 ways to spice up your marathon
- the one running move he's never seen before
- running confessions
- how to apply your makeup so it won't smear in a tri

Plus 200 pages on celebrities who run ("they're just like us") and 100 pages of runway models wearing running clothes you can't afford.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

DougG
Jerome Drayton

Postby DougG » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:07 pm

Well...unless they have articles about extremely crabby gray haired older runners...then I might consider subscribing

Oh, I thought you were referring to Doonst. :roll: :wink:
injured
Snowflake 10k....stopped at 5k
Rest of the year a write off because of injury.
Snowflake 10k Jan 1 done
Run 4 Kids 10k Jan 7 done
Harry's Spring Run Off 8k. April 8 a disaster, but I finished
Centurion 50k at Horseshoe Valley (cycling) done
Centurion 50 miler at Blue Mountain (cycling) done.....barely!
Snowflake 5k, Dec 16 - done
Harry Rosen 8k. April. done
Rotary 5k fun run. May. done
CANI 10k. June. done
Canada Day 10k. July. done
Barrie Waterfront 5k. Aug. done
CANI 10 k. Oct. done
Base Borden Army Run 10k. done

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:58 am

I am 5' 8" and weigh 130 (on a good day). But the little doctors monitor shows I have 26% fat and a ridiculous BMI.

So just forget that crap about BMI and % body fat. If you want to lose weight then do it.

A women's running magazine is for sissys. You maniacs don't seem like sissys.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Return to “General Running Discussion”