Glenmore Reservoir

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Glenmore Reservoir

Postby turd ferguson » Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:07 pm

I mentioned in anothe thread that I was going around the Reservoir today. It turned out to be a very good run, beautiful sun the whole way and very warm. As always, finish at the *$ at Glenmore.

The usual sections are iced up. From the 37th street parking lot, all through the weaselhead and up the hill, very treacherous. I also made the mistake of taking the "low" trail around Bay Ridge, which was very icy.

But here's the real point of this post - as I was going across the causeway I noticed that there's a ton of construction going on along the bridges. It turns out that in addition to all of the work going on between 5th Street and 14th Street, they're doing a ton of work on the causeway involving a new bridge and pathway. The project description is on the City of Calgary's website here:

"City of Calgary Upgrades"[/quote]

If that doesn't work you can search "causeway" at calgary.ca for details. There's also a link to a project map.

Two details are very interesting:

1. According to the project web site "The pedestrian bridge across the Causeway will be closed in the fall of 2005 until the summer of 2007 - a detour pedestrian route will be established.

2. It looks like the new pathway will be along the south side of the causeway - instead of going over the pedestrian bridge and then under the causeway, it's just along the south side of Glenmore Trail.

I'm sure it'll be great once its done but I'm nervous about two years of construction on my favourite route.

Thoughts?
Last edited by turd ferguson on Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:18 pm

Mike,

Try the following to avoid the need to scroll in order to read your message. (Hit the quote button on my message, copy what I've done, return to this page without posting, hit the edit button on your message, and replace your URL with what I set up.)

"City of Calgary Upgrades"

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:19 pm

I enjoy that route as well - live in Erlton so run up the Elbow river path and then I either do the entire circle or to Glenmore Landing and back to the Weasel head and back.

But during the winter, the Bow River pathway system is sweeped so the running is better in my opinion - or at least the downtown portion north and south side of the river.

I always hated going along Glenmore so there are some more "in land" routes you can take. Go over the dam and then to the north of Lakeside Golf course.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:37 am

Thanks jgore - you wouldn't know today I had a job writing html code for four months once.

Dstew - I agree that the downtown pathways are better in the winter but I like the reservoir so much that its too tempting on nice days. I haven't done as much Elbow running and never in the winter - is it cleaned at all? I would dread the River Park hill if its icy.

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:14 pm

Last year the path was cleaned from the downtown to Elbow drive - but with a portion of the path closed across from the Stampede grounds because of the flood, not sure what they are going to do - not bad because it forces you to do hills going up and down Scotman's Hill.

The hill you speak of - no they do not clear it - nothing like sliding down that hill in the dark - makes running potentially a full contact sport.

Return to “General Running Discussion”