Frustrating

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

DougG
Jerome Drayton

Frustrating

Postby DougG » Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:36 pm

For the third time this summer my calf is causing me a lot of grief. In June I was on an early evening run when I felt a sharp pain in my left calf, it was so bad that I had to completely stop my run and walk home. After 10 days or so of rest & ice, plus some accupuncture the leg felt ok so I did some easy runs on the treadmill. It felt ok so I went back outside and started again.....after about 2 weeks it flared up again. I aggravated it going up the stairs at home. Once again I took a break, then slowly started up again, short runs, treadmilling etc. I too extra precautions, more accupuncture, ice, the whole bit. Things were going well, I felt absolutely no pain or discomfort. For the next few weeks I was getting in 3-4 runs a week, usually between 5-8km.
Last Saturday I went for an 11 km, but around the 4 k mark I slowed for a brief walk as I took some water.Upon starting up I felt a dull ache in my calf again. Not bad enough to quit, but very unconfortable. Well I should have quit. When I got home I iced it down, and did so a few times that day and the next. It was quite painful, but there was no swelling. That is, until Monday, when it ballooned up during the day while I was at work.
To make a long story short it is still swelling quite a bit, until I get a chance to ice it down and keep my leg elevated. The pain is still there, even walking is uncomfortable.
This is frustrating and depressing. I had my sights set on the Scotiabank 1/2 in the fall, and was enjoying my runs this summer. The weather has been great and running by the waterfront is quite a pleaure. Right now I am on the shelf, I have no idea when I'll get back at it....the 1/2 is out of the question :cry: Sorry for the rant, but this has me very discouraged. Last fall I had surgery, yet during my rehab I was eager to get back to running, this time it's different. It's got me really down.
injured
Snowflake 10k....stopped at 5k
Rest of the year a write off because of injury.
Snowflake 10k Jan 1 done
Run 4 Kids 10k Jan 7 done
Harry's Spring Run Off 8k. April 8 a disaster, but I finished
Centurion 50k at Horseshoe Valley (cycling) done
Centurion 50 miler at Blue Mountain (cycling) done.....barely!
Snowflake 5k, Dec 16 - done
Harry Rosen 8k. April. done
Rotary 5k fun run. May. done
CANI 10k. June. done
Canada Day 10k. July. done
Barrie Waterfront 5k. Aug. done
CANI 10 k. Oct. done
Base Borden Army Run 10k. done

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:45 pm

Man, that sucks...

Sorry if you already know this, but the two calf muscles (I believe they're called gastroc and soleus?) have to be stretched separately. One is the standard "hold up the wall" stretch, with your foot flat on the ground, and the other is the same thing, but with your knee slightly bent. I learned this the hard way when I DNFed the Niagara Marathon at 40Km because of calf seizure.

Anyhow, you're an important part of this run club, so you've got keep a positive outlook. Running's done a lot for you.

Iron-North
Jerome Drayton

Postby Iron-North » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:13 am

Not fair! Not fair at all! I feel for you. Last fall it took me months to recover from an injury and for sure that time I thought that was it! I stoppred reading about running, I would cover my face when I would see someone running...sad sad moments indeed....BUT :D there is always hope! I've been back full swing since early spring and so will you!

Well you probably know all that but I just want to cheer you up a bit and revive your senses that you'll get over it soon enough.

Wishing you a speedy recovery!!

Helene :wink:
Always North of something ...

Ironman Cozumel 2014
Vancouver to Inuvik on bike 2014

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:04 pm

Don't give up hope! Just focus on being the "best healer" you can be right now. And if there's swelling, maybe you need to see a sports med doctor rather than a physio. If you keep re-injuring the same muscle, it could be something more.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:11 pm

I'm with you. My tendon problems have come & gone for a year and are now worse than ever.

I always take the long term approach. So, I fixed up my old bike, dug out the rowing macine, dusted off the weights, bought a wobble board (for rehab) and away we go. I'll be back on the roads in a while, just not sure when.

It sucks being injured, so just change your focus for a while. Before you know it, you'll be doing that half marathon...somewhere.
Last edited by Nicholas on Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scott
Bill Crothers

Postby Scott » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:28 pm

The swelling is a bit disconcerting. I've experienced more than my fair share of lower leg problems, especially soleus/gastroc/achilles, but never any noticable swelling.

I did find that cross training and strengthening the muscles on the front on the leg (around the tibia) helped a lot. Problems usually start when one set of muscles are significantly stronger than the opposing set - consider the size of the calves versus those overlying the shin. Massage helped my a great deal, especailly deep tissue stuff - the painfull kind.

Best of luck with it, Doug

Scott

Portentous
Bill Crothers

Postby Portentous » Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:54 pm

Ouch. I don't trust accupuncture myself, but everything else seems smart. Keep up the stretching and as others have said try to strngthen the muscles. Maybe take a full week off running, and see how you feel next week. Scotia's not out of the picture yet.

Just give yourself plenty of recovery time, and we'll keep our fingers crossed for you.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:24 pm

What a drag...I have no good advice...only oodles of sympathy...and a cyberspace hug to send...

Joanne
C-Moss: Sore paws are no fun...I hurted mine on a hike a year ago...and couldn't hike for a couple months...I hope your paw gets better soon
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:28 pm

Been there and done that ... One word, however .... :roll:

"Custom Orthotics" .....

andy :) Peace !!!
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:51 pm

HCD wrote:Been there and done that ... One word, however .... :roll:

"Custom Orthotics" .....

Um, isn't that "two" words?

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:54 pm

nick wrote:
HCD wrote:Been there and done that ... One word, however .... :roll:

"Custom Orthotics" .....

Um, isn't that "two" words?

Well, ummm, then custom "Orthotics" :wink: How's that, nick :oops: :roll:

DougG
Jerome Drayton

Postby DougG » Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:58 pm

Thanks very much for the kind words. For the time being I'll lift weights and dust off the bike...can I drink my cup of Tim's while cycling? :roll:
injured
Snowflake 10k....stopped at 5k
Rest of the year a write off because of injury.
Snowflake 10k Jan 1 done
Run 4 Kids 10k Jan 7 done
Harry's Spring Run Off 8k. April 8 a disaster, but I finished
Centurion 50k at Horseshoe Valley (cycling) done
Centurion 50 miler at Blue Mountain (cycling) done.....barely!
Snowflake 5k, Dec 16 - done
Harry Rosen 8k. April. done
Rotary 5k fun run. May. done
CANI 10k. June. done
Canada Day 10k. July. done
Barrie Waterfront 5k. Aug. done
CANI 10 k. Oct. done
Base Borden Army Run 10k. done

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:00 pm

TheCoach wrote:Thanks very much for the kind words. For the time being I'll lift weights and dust off the bike...can I drink my cup of Tim's while cycling? :roll:

Yep, just don't litter the empties on the road ... And, if you had a SipAway, that's 28oz of lattee .... :wink:

Iron-North
Jerome Drayton

Postby Iron-North » Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:20 pm

Phew glad to hear you are jumping on your bike!!! Ha ha!

Helene :wink:
Always North of something ...

Ironman Cozumel 2014
Vancouver to Inuvik on bike 2014

Return to “General Running Discussion”