Age Matters?

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

NewFinnLoper
Jerome Drayton

Age Matters?

Postby NewFinnLoper » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:30 pm

This was in Runner's World's latest online newsletter:

Age Matters

It was kind of interesting because I just had a discussion about my future marathon times. As I age I automatically feel that my marathon time will just grow as well...Maybe now with the right type of training geared to aging athletes...

One of the things discussed and also reiterated in the article is that older athletes with a good mileage base can get away with an average of 29 miles/week...and even a three day a week schedule - which would totally suit my lifestyle.
All hope is not lost... :)
22 halfs (PR 1:42:02) :)
5 full (PR 3:48:21)
...and a smattering of adventure and trail races thrown in for good measure!
--------------------------
All running is on hold until further notice .... :0(

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:55 pm

Oh that's a funny topic. I turn 52 next month. On the one hand as a relatively new runner I am still able to hit PB's when I stay healthy. On the flip side, race results websites make it so easy to search the records of people in my age group that are near my speed. Most of them used to be faster, they once ran times that I see as future goals, but they're constantly slowing down.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:22 pm

I'm on the flip side of 45, have been running for 12 years, and I haven't seen any slowing down of my times yet. I think that's mostly due to the fact that I am still getting fitter. I fully expect that at some point my times will hit a plateau and then start to decline. Thankfully, I haven't hit that point yet. :)
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Age Matters?

Postby Jwolf » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:06 pm

NewFinnLoper wrote:One of the things discussed and also reiterated in the article is that older athletes with a good mileage base can get away with an average of 29 miles/week...and even a three day a week schedule - which would totally suit my lifestyle.

But it's not clear what "good mileage base" means. Some people who take up recreational running later in life have never really averaged more than 29 miles/week.

I thought this was mostly referring to people who have been running for years and used to do 50-60 miles/week or more, and can cut back as they get older. Having started running when I was almost 40, I find that I can't really improve unless I get my mileage up to at least (not average) 30 miles/week and then build from there during hard training cycles. I have still been improving, though, which is likely because I can keep increasing.

One thing they also talked about, and I think one of the main differences between older and younger runners, is recovery time.

JacSprat
Bill Crothers

Postby JacSprat » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:00 pm

Jwolf wrote:
NewFinnLoper wrote:One of the things discussed and also reiterated in the article is that older athletes with a good mileage base can get away with an average of 29 miles/week...and even a three day a week schedule - which would totally suit my lifestyle.

But it's not clear what "good mileage base" means. Some people who take up recreational running later in life have never really averaged more than 29 miles/week.

I thought this was mostly referring to people who have been running for years and used to do 50-60 miles/week or more, and can cut back as they get older. Having started running when I was almost 40, I find that I can't really improve unless I get my mileage up to at least (not average) 30 miles/week and then build from there during hard training cycles. I have still been improving, though, which is likely because I can keep increasing.

One thing they also talked about, and I think one of the main differences between older and younger runners, is recovery time.

Haven't read the article yet but I think that is very true.
As well as sprint speed.
Jacqui

------------------------
MyTraining

runlolarun
Tom Longboat

Postby runlolarun » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:14 am

The physiology of this article is understandable. For me, though it is not applicable. I am one of the recreational runners they cite and I only started running at age 48. I am in the enviable position where my goals
are milestone based and all training results in a stronger, more resilient, stress-proof body that can respond to physical challenges far better than it could five years ago.

Tell me three years ago that I would be contemplating, with confidence, running a full Marathon, I would never have believed it. My body at age 51 is far more functional machine than it was 20 years ago. If you start from a base of zero there are no deficits to measure, only gains. Now that my body understands the load that I am placing on it, it is responding well. Older bodies can still rise to the learning curve physiologically given the challenge, at least from my experience.

seuss
Kevin Sullivan

Postby seuss » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:27 am

runlolarun wrote:The physiology of this article is understandable. For me, though it is not applicable. I am one of the recreational runners they cite and I only started running at age 48. I am in the enviable position where my goals
are milestone based and all training results in a stronger, more resilient, stress-proof body that can respond to physical challenges far better than it could five years ago.

Tell me three years ago that I would be contemplating, with confidence, running a full Marathon, I would never have believed it. My body at age 51 is far more functional machine than it was 20 years ago. If you start from a base of zero there are no deficits to measure, only gains. Now that my body understands the load that I am placing on it, it is responding well. Older bodies can still rise to the learning curve physiologically given the challenge, at least from my experience.

great post! as someone who is 48, i want to post this at 51!
2010 - gone viral?
2011 - mitochondrial mystery tour

clocker
Bill Crothers

Rah Rah

Postby clocker » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:40 pm

runlolarun wrote:The physiology of this article is understandable. For me, though it is not applicable. I am one of the recreational runners they cite and I only started running at age 48. I am in the enviable position where my goals

Good thread and link, thanks Lisa.

I turn 50 this year and have a bit of a love affair going on with that more resilient feeling. They are all gains for me, but I'm looking at the biggest possible picture and my expectations are really broad. I like to see my times come down and work harder and smarter all the time to help that along, but that's the game, not the goal. I just want to remain active, keep my recovery from stresses of all sorts to a minimum and smile broadly when I pass much younger runners. :twisted: Balance is attractive for me.

Thanks for posting.
Ian

5km
Bill Crothers

Postby 5km » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:57 pm

All hope is not lost... :)

Age DOES matter. I'll be 63 this month and since my return to running in 2006 after 9 year hiatus I've discovered a few things which are obvious but none the less worth mentioning:

1. I need more recovery time.
2. I get injured more easily than I used to.
3. I'll never run as fast as I did in my 30's, 40's and early 50's and certainly not over the same distances. I came very close to my pre-hiatus 5k time last summer, 6 seconds, but that was an all out effort under good conditions. I can't come close to my old times over 10k and greater distances.
4. I've never been a high mileage runner, unlike some of you guys. I wouldn't have run much more that 29 miles a week during my best years so mileage reduction is not an issue for me.

Adjustments I have made to compensate:

1. I take more recovery time between runs and races.
2. Last summer I started doing some track work outs to improve my speed.
3. I run only about 3 times a week but always at relatively high intensity levels.
3. I only participate in short races, 5K's, for now.
4. I'm still trying to improve on my current running and racing speeds.

Age does count and effects some parameters but it doesn't change my love of running and racing.

danziggirl
Tom Longboat

Postby danziggirl » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:23 pm

I didn't start running until I was 47. Ran my first half at 51. Qualifed for Boston in my first try at a marathon at age 54. I think as you get older there are less distractions - no small children to take care of etc. There is more ME time.
Pauline

Boston 2008
10 km 2008 48.39
Scotiabank Marathon 2009 3.56.32 PB + BQ
Half Marathon 2007 1.50.00
5 km 2005 23.42
Around the Bay 2008 2.49.22

NewFinnLoper
Jerome Drayton

Postby NewFinnLoper » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:37 pm

danziggirl wrote:I didn't start running until I was 47. Ran my first half at 51. Qualifed for Boston in my first try at a marathon at age 54. I think as you get older there are less distractions - no small children to take care of etc. There is more ME time.

That is a biggie...my kids are at an age now (10 & 12) where I can comfortably leave them at home while I head out for a run. I started running when my youngest was under a year old and it was just to try to lose the baby fat...but trying to schedule runs around family life was very difficult. I guess that's why I didn't take it very seriously until they were older.

There are a lot of considerations....for all ages...and we adjust accordingly to our priorities; time, injuries, physical limitations...

...but what I do know, is that as long as I CAN run I WILL run.
22 halfs (PR 1:42:02) :)
5 full (PR 3:48:21)
...and a smattering of adventure and trail races thrown in for good measure!
--------------------------
All running is on hold until further notice .... :0(

endurox
Tom Longboat

Postby endurox » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:38 am

Its whatever the body can handle and whatever amount of time you have to devote to running. I have read many articles for masters runners "less is better". I run with a girl who is 51 and she living proof of this, but its what works for her body, her free time. The theory from the 70s was you had to run 80-100miles a week to excel. This works for pro runners who can nap in the middle of the day, do 2 workouts etc. I still believe the heavy mileage is what works if your body can take it. In order to get off a plateau you need to add a new stress (to your running routine), whether it be more miles, more intervals, whatever it may be. Once your body adapts to your training schedule, then you need to crank it up a notch to hit the next level (if thats whats important for you.) Everyone will notice vast improvements in the beginning once you obtain a certain level then the times will not drop as quickly.
For me what is working to get off my plateau is adding more mileage. I see my pace dropping to where it was pre plateau, I see my interval times at a better level. However I have the time to devote to this and as long as I show up at work on time!

To set a PR you must train like you have never trained before.
9 Marathons/6 Boston Qualifiers
PR 3:36
Next Major Race:Chicago Marathon 2010
http://startinglines.blog.com/
"Mind is everything: muscle - pieces of rubber. All that I am, I am because of my mind."
- Paavo Nurmi

Jogger Barbie
Bill Crothers

Postby Jogger Barbie » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:54 pm

NewFinnLoper wrote:...but what I do know, is that as long as I CAN run I WILL run.

Very interesting article, but for me it also comes down to exactly what you've said above :)
Jacqueline
--------------
19 marathons (3:24:56), 9 30 km ATBs (2:21:33), 2 Midsummer 30 km (2:22:07), 15 half marathons (1:33:53), 5 10 Ks (44:17), 1 5K (22:59), 1 50 K (4:29:22)
2015: London :)
2016: Boston, followed by injury rehab and then ???

MrBond
Bill Crothers

Postby MrBond » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:22 pm

The older I get, the faster I was ! 8) 8) 8)
"You're in over your head Donny..."

cgraham
Bill Crothers

Postby cgraham » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:03 pm

There's an interesting post I read in a masters running blog about this - seems that on average, you can expect to hit your best times after about 7 years of running - 10 years if you're running lower mileage:

http://petemagill.blogspot.com/2009/03/bagels-links-your-morning-read_04.html
2009 Highlights
Marathon - 2:54:05 (Mar 22 - Tokyo)
Half - 1:20:00 (Apr 26 - Hartwell)
5k - 17:09 (Acura 5k - Jul 19)
800m - 2:16.80 (York U - Jul 28 )
Now - Getting back my running fitness
My training log

Why practice running slow? It comes naturally!

"There are two types of injuries that we older runners get: those that we can run with and those that we can't. And if you're over 30 and don't have one or the other, you aren't training hard enough." - Younger Legs blog

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:16 pm

cgraham wrote:There's an interesting post I read in a masters running blog about this - seems that on average, you can expect to hit your best times after about 7 years of running - 10 years if you're running lower mileage:

http://petemagill.blogspot.com/2009/03/bagels-links-your-morning-read_04.html

I'm looking forward to proving this to be true 8).
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

RonPerth
Bruce Kidd

Postby RonPerth » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:58 pm

La wrote:I am still getting fitter. I fully expect that at some point my times will hit a plateau and then start to decline. Thankfully, I haven't hit that point yet. :)

Well when that happens, you won't really mind too much. You'll probably still be out on the roads running and biking and having a good time. Doing some races with friendly competitors. And other people will covertly point you out as 'that old woman who can do an Ironman'. So who cares if the numbers decline a bit, they're just...........numbers.

Ron
coyote jogger

s rasmussen
Johnny Miles

Postby s rasmussen » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:54 am

Perhaps we could get Jacqueline (Jogger Barbie) to share some of her speed secrets?
I am definitely in the category of "new older runner" as I am 58 and have 21/2 years running. I am trying to increase my mileage in order to improve my times- I am definitely not cut out for shorter distances and am slow at the mile, but can keep going at a good pace for a half marathon.

I think you lose speed at shorter distances more quickly than endurance as you age. I have run recently with a group of very quick guys in their 50"s and 60's, so it can be done!
Simon.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:39 am

s rasmussen wrote:Perhaps we could get Jacqueline (Jogger Barbie) to share some of her speed secrets?.

There are no secrets to speed-- combination of talent and training is all it is. Some people will never be as fast as others, but we all have the ability to train toward our potential.

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:59 am

Age only matters if you think it does. and if you think it does it will more and more.

In any case, you can always push the envelope from where ever you are today.

I am healthier today than ever, but it is a complicated situation, not just running more.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

danziggirl
Tom Longboat

Postby danziggirl » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:51 pm

Up until I was in my late 40's I had NEVER exercised. I am now 55. I think I would never have had the time for myself earlier in my life. I am now a grandmother of a beautiful 5 month grandson and I will be proud in the future to show him the medals I have received in the last few years.
Pauline

Boston 2008
10 km 2008 48.39
Scotiabank Marathon 2009 3.56.32 PB + BQ
Half Marathon 2007 1.50.00
5 km 2005 23.42
Around the Bay 2008 2.49.22

Jan
Percy Williams

Postby Jan » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:21 am

At 53 I have more engery than most of the people that I spend time with. Some younger and some older. I am not as fast as most but I still get to the finish line. Quality time spent of the roads and the trails is what I value. Another 50 years will be perfect.

Leave a Footprint

Return to “General Running Discussion”