Boston Qualifying times...motivational or discouraging??

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Jogger Barbie
Bill Crothers

Postby Jogger Barbie » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:41 am

Doonst wrote:
dgrant wrote:I'm not even all that interested in the race. I'd just like to be in the qualifiers' club.

That's what they all say. Until it happens.

So true! I was a member of the "just want to be in the qualified" club until a BQ actually started to look like a possibility. Then there was a very definite switch to "If I qualify, I'm there". Kind of took me by surprise.
Jacqueline
--------------
19 marathons (3:24:56), 9 30 km ATBs (2:21:33), 2 Midsummer 30 km (2:22:07), 15 half marathons (1:33:53), 5 10 Ks (44:17), 1 5K (22:59), 1 50 K (4:29:22)
2015: London :)
2016: Boston, followed by injury rehab and then ???

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:54 pm

dgrant wrote:I'm not even all that interested in the race. I'd just like to be in the qualifiers' club.

I don't understand why people think like this-- what's the point of qualifying if you don't want to actually do it? It's really just a number...

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Boston Qualifying times...motivational or discouraging??

Postby Jwolf » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:57 pm

Strider wrote:and a work of warning - do not open the "women have it easier" can of worms. It may seem that way, but the times are set for a reason and I trust the BAA to have set the right standards.

Actually, most women will agree with this. The reasons the BAA sets the standards are not based on actual physiological or physical evidence (which most people agree shouldn't be a standard 30-minute gap). They are partly to try to make the male:female entry ratio a bit more even (although there are a still a lot more men).

Lightning
Bill Crothers

Postby Lightning » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:29 pm

dgrant wrote:Motivational for me for sure. When I was really far from the times, I just didn't care about Boston, so it wasn't discouraging at all. Now that I'm (hopefully) one good training cycle away from the time I need, it's a fun thing to shoot for.

I'm not even all that interested in the race. I'd just like to be in the qualifiers' club.

My thoughts exactly. I went from not even interested (three years ago) because it was over an hour faster than I ran a marathon in. Now that I have four minutes to shave off, sometimes it is all that drives me to get out there.
Lightning :)

We're going to try this new thing called jogging. Or maybe it's yogging-with a silent "j". Apparently you just run for an extended period of time. It's supposed to be wild.

-Ron Burgandy

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:46 pm

At first neither but then it was a motivator.

After I ran my first marathon and where I was grossly undertrained in just under 4 hours and could still walk, I decided I should qualify for Boston without the slighest clue what that would entail in terms of training or time.

Before I went about preparing, trained to run a fast 5 K race and tried some half marathons for the first time AFTER running my first marathon.

I knew I had to do more than I had but on the other hand, I let my body and not some training schedule determine just how far, how many times, when to take a break, etc.

For a spring warm up half, broke 1:30 when I "felt" I was in the 1:35 range. So that result then motivated me to continue on and maybe push that little bit harder at the end of my training runs.

On my second marathon, qualified with a 3:17 at the age of 41.

For some, that extra push is what they need to get over the top but for me, it started to long and winding road of injury and recovery so I wish Boston qualifying times had not been such a big motivator and instead had continued to train forward - slight improvements based upon where I was and not where I wanted to be.

Magoo
Tom Longboat

Postby Magoo » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:55 pm

dgrant wrote:Motivational for me for sure. When I was really far from the times, I just didn't care about Boston, so it wasn't discouraging at all. Now that I'm (hopefully) one good training cycle away from the time I need, it's a fun thing to shoot for.

I'm not even all that interested in the race. I'd just like to be in the qualifiers' club.

Ditto...Boston usually doesn't interest me. More for the older crowd. This year Ryan Hall and Kara Goucher have made it more exciting. I'll tune in for sure.

The bq time was a big motivator my first year of running.
What time is LOVE?

Run26.2
Jerome Drayton

Postby Run26.2 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:18 pm

Magoo wrote:

Ditto...Boston usually doesn't interest me. More for the older crowd. This year Ryan Hall and Kara Goucher have made it more exciting. I'll tune in for sure.

What do you consider to be "the older crowd"?
"...twenty miles of hope, six miles of truth..."
21 marathons since 2001......up next, CND Army half-marathon in Sept. and Toronto Waterfront marathon in Oct.

dgrant1
Bruce Kidd

Postby dgrant1 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:21 pm

It's also important to remember that the path towards the qualifying time is sometimes neither straight nor predictable based on past results from any distances, because there are good days and there are bad days; sometimes you're the windshield and sometimes you're the fly, for no apparent reason... For me (qualifying time goal 3:30), my sequence of marathon times leading up to my BQ went 3:52 - 4:08 - 4:12 - 3:27 (!??!) The only thing I did differently for the BQ race was to stop looking at my watch... plus I think I just lucked out and had a good day that day... go figger...
Next up:

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:22 pm

Jwolf wrote:

I don't understand why people think like this-- what's the point of qualifying if you don't want to actually do it? It's really just a number...

Just to wear the label I suppose. I'm definitely more motivated by a) top 3 placements and b) nice round time goals like sub X:00 or X:30, but the BQ is an arbitrary target somebody put out there, so might as well try to hit. Like when someone puts an empty can on a fence post. No good reason to chuck a rock at it... but no good reason not to either.

I'm sure I'll be jazzed to run Boston if I can qualify, but in terms of the race itself it's just not on my top ___ wishlist. Not to say it's not cool.

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:29 pm

Run26.2 wrote:
Magoo wrote:

There's a picture, in your bathroom over the sink.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

Magoo
Tom Longboat

Postby Magoo » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:35 pm

Run26.2 wrote:
Magoo wrote:

The crowd who usually go in my area have kids who are fully grown are getting closer to retirement and have disposable income for the full Boston experience. They call me the virgin ... I call them gramps. :wink:
What time is LOVE?

RunforFun
Johnny Miles

Postby RunforFun » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:42 pm

Definitely motivational. I wish there were tougher standards!

But it's fun just to qualify. I did that years ago and didn't go to Boston. Not that I wouldn't have like it. But it was a trip that was difficult to do at the time.
It didn't bother me much. I was happier with just being able to qualify.

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:55 pm

Nobody has even mentioned the jacket. Its all about the jacket.Image
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

Run26.2
Jerome Drayton

Postby Run26.2 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:02 pm

Doonst wrote:
Run26.2 wrote:
Magoo wrote:

There's a picture, in your bathroom over the sink.
:lol:
21 marathons since 2001......up next, CND Army half-marathon in Sept. and Toronto Waterfront marathon in Oct.

Run26.2
Jerome Drayton

Postby Run26.2 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:08 pm

Doonst wrote:Nobody has even mentioned the jacket. Its all about the jacket.Image

Sunday I was running along the Rideau Canal here in Ottawa....had the Boston jacket on for the first time since last fall.....at one stretch near Dow's Lake there were three "older" men running towards me....I could hear them say "hear comes another one"....and as they approached me they broke into applause and started yelling " yeah, go Boston, congrats!".....I smiled and laughed and yelled thanks.....I was embarrassed and proud at the same time...

When I got back to the Running Room I mentioned it to another Boston vet and she said that the same thing had happened to her a few weeks ago, also along the Canal, while wearing her Boston jacket......we figured out it was the same fellows.....my friend actually stopped to chat with the gentlemen for a moment or two and found out that the three of them are running Boston this year....not sure if for the first time, but I sense that those three men really "get" how special Boston is to some people...like me!

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:29 pm

Magoo wrote:
Run26.2 wrote:
Magoo wrote:

The crowd who usually go in my area have kids who are fully grown are getting closer to retirement and have disposable income for the full Boston experience. They call me the virgin ... I call them gramps. :wink:

It's really what you make of it-- if you want it to be your experience, you can.

I know two guys in their early 20's, plus several other younger childless people.... and I plan on getting there way before I'm close to retirement. ;)

runningman
Bruce Kidd

Postby runningman » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:36 am

Jwolf wrote:

I think the same way as Dave. I had planned to run this year but with the foot injury I decided to go next year after I requalified in Victoria.

But, at this point I honestly don't know if I'll do it. For me it was way more of a milestone to hit the goal. Now that I have qualified, running it doesn't really matter.

Even after the initial high of finally qualifying, there was a letdown. I don't think I could run any time that would give me more satisfaction than BQing after trying for over two years.

To be really honest, the only reason I will run it is because I don't want to regret NOT running it 20 years down the road. And, yes it is just a number, but a number that took alot of hard work and persistence to achieve. Thats what motivates me.
"The body is a serveant of the mind"

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:51 am

runningman wrote:And, yes it is just a number, but a number that took alot of hard work and persistence to achieve. Thats what motivates me.

I didn't mean that in any way to take away from your acheivement. But my point is the numbers are somewhat arbitrary designed to limit the field, so why is it more important to "BQ" vs. "run a 3:15 marathon" or 3:10 or 3:50 or whatever, if you're not interseted in the "B" part of the BQ.

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:22 am

Jwolf wrote:why is it more important to "BQ" vs. "run a 3:15 marathon" or 3:10 or 3:50 or whatever, if you're not interseted in the "B" part of the BQ.

I think one factor is the Boston brand both within running circles and to non-runners. Although I've gotten about 20 minutes faster since my first BQ, I still take pride in the first BQ of each new year because it means that I could run Boston if I want, and to friends, family, other runners, and often to me, that is almost as good as actually going. By contrast, the NYC qualifying times are tougher, yet reaching them has less significance to those around me because that race has a different brand.

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:50 am

Jwolf wrote:
runningman wrote:And, yes it is just a number, but a number that took alot of hard work and persistence to achieve. Thats what motivates me.

I didn't mean that in any way to take away from your acheivement. But my point is the numbers are somewhat arbitrary designed to limit the field, so why is it more important to "BQ" vs. "run a 3:15 marathon" or 3:10 or 3:50 or whatever, if you're not interseted in the "B" part of the BQ.

IMHO, it's like why get a Bachelors Degree when you could just competently learn the subject matter in your basement without anybody knowing? It's nice to get that certification and recognition from a body that's seen as knowing what they're talking about. I have no shame in saying I'd really like to run a 3:10 (or soon a 3:15) marathon and have the BAA say "Come on in. We see you know what you're doing." Maybe it's silly, but who knows why certain things motivate people...

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:51 am

ian wrote:
Jwolf wrote:why is it more important to "BQ" vs. "run a 3:15 marathon" or 3:10 or 3:50 or whatever, if you're not interseted in the "B" part of the BQ.

I think one factor is the Boston brand both within running circles and to non-runners..

That's so weird to me-- it's an event and a great race, not a theory or a brand. Yes, it's hard to get into for the average runner, but the bottom line is that it's so attractive and appealing because of the race itself. I don't think the BQ times have much significance to non-runners. I lived there for many years, and non-runners were just as impressed with people who ran it "unofficially" (they didn't use the word bandit).

runningman
Bruce Kidd

Postby runningman » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:53 am

Jwolf wrote:

I think initially I was more interested in running Boston, than after a few tries at the marathon and seeing what it would take to finally qualify, the goal part of it became more important than actually running it. I know you werent' taking away from the achievement, Jen. My response probably came out wrong. Typical. :lol:
"The body is a serveant of the mind"

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:56 am

Jwolf wrote:
ian wrote:

I think one factor is the Boston brand both within running circles and to non-runners..

That's so weird to me-- it's an event and a great race, not a theory or a brand. Yes, it's hard to get into for the average runner, but the bottom line is that it's so attractive and appealing because of the race itself. I don't think the BQ times have much significance to non-runners. I lived there for many years, and non-runners were just as impressed with people who ran it "unofficially" (they didn't use the word bandit).

Of non-runners who don't live there, it has cachet because they know about it and that is where branding comes in. People here know about the Boston Marathon but are then honestly surprised to hear that Toronto has two marathons, Mississauga has one, etc (and not just the folks I used to work with at Manulife/John Hancock).

In terms of the goal being discouraging or not, I fall into the happy to get older camp. ;)
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

eljeffe
Bill Crothers

Postby eljeffe » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:58 am

Jwolf wrote:I don't think the BQ times have much significance to non-runners.

This hasn't been my experience. Everyone I know that found out I qualified considered it to be a pretty big accomplishment regardless of whether they were runners or not. This is the 113th year they've had the race. By now most people have heard of it. :D

I could just as easily have qualified and NOT bothered running it. It's very expensive to go, a couple thousand dollars for me and Heather to make the trip. So I can understand why there would be that mindset. Also, the standards are pretty tough for most people just to qualify. In many cases just managing to meet them is satisfaction enough.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:05 am

eljeffe wrote:
Jwolf wrote:I don't think the BQ times have much significance to non-runners.

This hasn't been my experience. Everyone I know that found out I qualified considered it to be a pretty big accomplishment regardless of whether they were runners or not. This is the 113th year they've had the race. By now most people have heard of it. :D

I think what Jenn means is that if you told most non-runners what their BQ time was, they would have no idea what that time actually means. Most people understand the significance of Boston but don't have any way to relate to the times that are required to qualify.

Its like telling me that a lacrosse team got 20 goals in a game, my first question would be "is that a lot?".
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Return to “General Running Discussion”