Sad story- runner killed in park near UBC on Friday

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Sad story- runner killed in park near UBC on Friday

Postby Jwolf » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:58 pm

Family members of a woman murdered Friday afternoon in Pacific Spirit Park near UBC say they are devastated.

The body of 53- year old Wendy Ladner-Beaudry was found around 2:30 in the afternoon, on a nature trail near 41st and Camosun by some female hikers out for a walk....

http://www.cknw.com/Channels/Reg/NewsLo ... ID=1079042

This was the sister of Peter Ladner, the former Vancouver city councilor and mayoral candiate. Wendy was very active in the sports community in Vancouver.

It seems to have been a random attack and police are warning people, esepcially women, not to run in wooded areas alone.

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:40 am

Yikes,

That's pretty scarey! I hope they find whoever did this!

Lisa
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:08 am

Very sad.
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:21 am

:(
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:22 am

Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

lxiao
Bruce Kidd

Postby lxiao » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:42 am

Be safe.
Lifetime race count: 6 Halfs, 6 Fulls, part of a Death Race, some 10Ks thrown in there too
Marathon #5 dedicated to my sister and all cancer survivors...please see this link for my dedication: http://www3.telus.net/ccandhh

I'd like to be a glowworm, a glowworm's never glum; 'cause how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out your bum?

Bebette
Bill Crothers

Postby Bebette » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:46 am

Very sad and freaky indeed.

Her daughter, Maya Beaudry, is or used to be on the national swimming team. From www.swimming.ca:

Maya was born in Vancouver BC, and got involved in various sports before dedicating herself to swimming. She currently trains out of her hometown with one of Canada’s powerhouse club, the UBC Dolphins where she is coached by Steve Price. Maya states that her friends and family (parents Michel and Wendy and 11 year old sister Jenna) will always be a huge motivation factor for her but the desire to improve every time she competes is what really keeps her going.
I run because it's fun.

In another life:
3 marathons including Boston twice (PB: 3:47), 6 halfs (PB: 1:45), 6 10k (PB: 46:41) and 3 5ks (PB: 21:00)

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:15 am

Awful....................
very very sad :cry:
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Kelodie » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:32 am

So very sad... :cry:

And scary.
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
"Have a little faith in yourself and watch the magic begin" - Ironboy

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11
Ottawa Race Weekend 10K, May 24

_Eric_
Tom Longboat

Postby _Eric_ » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:49 am

Sad and sick!
I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more...

-Chuck Palahniuk

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:54 am

:( That's awful!

getfit
Jerome Drayton

Postby getfit » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:28 am

That's so sad :(
"I'm not sufficiently organized or ambitious to do all the things you're supposed to do if you're serious. The more time you spend fiddlediddling with this and that, the less time there is to run." ED WHITLOCK

lovethehills
Bill Crothers

Postby lovethehills » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:31 am

I love the trails in Pacific Spirit Park and this is just awful. I was telling Mike last Sunday that I always feel uneasy in there, now this. It's such a tragedy, but will also hinder people from heading into the trails and that's a shame as well.
"Only through curiosity can we discover opportunities, and only through gambling can we take advantage of them."

ChrisL
Jerome Drayton

Postby ChrisL » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:42 pm

On a related subject, it seems that all we hear about Vancouver these days is either someone get shot, killed, gang violence, etc, and now this. Is the place becoming that dangerous?
Faster, stronger, meaner....Arrgh, matey!

If you are not first, you're last - Reese Bobby

puttputt
Johnny Miles

Postby puttputt » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:56 pm

Run safe, everyone.
puttputt --- because that's how I run.

2009 REGISTERED:
Sporting Life 10k - 3 May
Toronto Women's Half-Marathon - 31 May
Acura Ten-Miler - 19 Jul
Midsummer Night's Run 30k - 22 Aug (gulp)

redhead
Bill Crothers

Postby redhead » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:07 pm

That's very sad. I've stopped running on one of my favourite local trails (Twelve Mile Creek Trail) because there have been so many serious attacks in the last 18 months. There was another one just two weeks ago ... a man was attacked, beaten and stabbed on the trail around 11:30 in the morning in broad daylight. Fortunately he survived. I hate that these things happen.
-:¦:-.•:*♥*:•.-:¦:--
"If you can’t fly, run.
If you can’t run, walk.
If you can’t walk, crawl,
but by all means keep moving."
-- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:47 pm

ChrisL wrote:On a related subject, it seems that all we hear about Vancouver these days is either someone get shot, killed, gang violence, etc, and now this. Is the place becoming that dangerous?

There is a gang war going on. The recent escalation in violence is terrible, and mostly due to these two rival gangs. Thankfully the police did make an arrest on Friday of four of the suspects in one of the worst shooting incidents.

Overall, Vancouver is not more dangerous to the general public.

The murder of Wendy Ladner-Beaudry is not related, and while very sad, seems to be a very isolated, random attack. These do happen pretty much everywhere-- it just hits a nerve when it's a fellow-runner.

Tisha
Bill Crothers

Postby Tisha » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:20 pm

How very sad. Thoughts and prayers are with her family. :cry:

Stephan
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stephan » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:43 pm

Jwolf wrote:
ChrisL wrote:On a related subject, it seems that all we hear about Vancouver these days is either someone get shot, killed, gang violence, etc, and now this. Is the place becoming that dangerous?

There is a gang war going on. The recent escalation in violence is terrible, and mostly due to these two rival gangs. Thankfully the police did make an arrest on Friday of four of the suspects in one of the worst shooting incidents.

Overall, Vancouver is not more dangerous to the general public.

The murder of Wendy Ladner-Beaudry is not related, and while very sad, seems to be a very isolated, random attack. These do happen pretty much everywhere-- it just hits a nerve when it's a fellow-runner.

I totally agree!!! The media amplifies things so much!!!! Crime is not on the rise....coverage and sensationalism is on the rise.

...just to add to this....this is still a tragic event sad indeed......guys who do stuff like this should be......whatever
Last edited by Stephan on Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:04 pm

The freedom I get from running is something, as a male, I take for granted. That sense that you can go out the door, and go where you want to go--virtually at any time of the day or night--is a real bonus of running.

It is sad that incidents like this, not only take the life of an innocent, joyful person pursuing what they love to do, but will take away some freedom from others as well. It is sad that there are predators (mostly male) who do crap like that. Whether it is this incident or ones in the past in Ottawa, Toronto etc...

My sympathies to her family and friends.
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:48 am

No news (RCMP are still investigating), but a good article today in the Vancouver Sun

http://www.vancouversun.com/Wendy+Ladne ... story.html

There is talk of organizing some sort of "Take Back the Park" march or run in her memory.

bnn
Jerome Drayton

Postby bnn » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:03 am

canalrunner wrote:The freedom I get from running is something, as a male, I take for granted. That sense that you can go out the door, and go where you want to go--virtually at any time of the day or night--is a real bonus of running.

It is sad that incidents like this, not only take the life of an innocent, joyful person pursuing what they love to do, but will take away some freedom from others as well. It is sad that there are predators (mostly male) who do crap like that. Whether it is this incident or ones in the past in Ottawa, Toronto etc...

My sympathies to her family and friends.

canalrunner you hit the nail on the head there

when I was harrassed by two men on bikes in my neighborhood in '05 and fearful something was going to 'happen' I was so angry that the freedom to run, to feel safe... etc was taken away from me.

It's such sad news :-( thoughts and prayers to her family and friends.
Just call me the thread killa

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:40 am

Oh, boy, if you're going ot jump in, jump in with both feet.

A ridiculous number of women have been murdered in BC and Alberta the last few years. Downtown Eastside, Prince George Highway of Tears, Edmonton prostitute murders.

The story hasn't been ignored by the media, but it hasn't always been front page news. I would guess that most Canadians haven't even heard of the Prince George murders.

But now one person from the right side of the tracks gets murdered in a nice neighbourhood and its a media frenzy.

I feel terrible for her and her family, but I also feel a little bit sick that this one killing is getting more attention than the killings of so many other women who are perhaps more disposable in our society.

I don't want to take away from this family's tragedy, which it is, but its not a bigger tragedy than when another young lady whose name isn't so prominent is killed and it doesn't make the news.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:53 am

Mike Runs wrote:Oh, boy, if you're going ot jump in, jump in with both feet.

A ridiculous number of women have been murdered in BC and Alberta the last few years. Downtown Eastside, Prince George Highway of Tears, Edmonton prostitute murders.

The story hasn't been ignored by the media, but it hasn't always been front page news. I would guess that most Canadians haven't even heard of the Prince George murders.

But now one person from the right side of the tracks gets murdered in a nice neighbourhood and its a media frenzy.

I feel terrible for her and her family, but I also feel a little bit sick that this one killing is getting more attention than the killings of so many other women who are perhaps more disposable in our society.

I don't want to take away from this family's tragedy, which it is, but its not a bigger tragedy than when another young lady whose name isn't so prominent is killed and it doesn't make the news.

I was thinking the same thing but didn't know how to say it!
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:10 pm

ultraslacker wrote:
Mike Runs wrote:Oh, boy, if you're going ot jump in, jump in with both feet.

I was thinking the same thing but didn't know how to say it!

Well said Mike...and food for thought.
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Return to “General Running Discussion”