What's your pre-race routine?

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Andes
Johnny Miles

What's your pre-race routine?

Postby Andes » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:30 pm

I am approaching my first-ever race (Mississauga 1/2M), and I'm sure that there are others out there in the same boat as me, so...
For all the seasoned racers out there, what's your pre-race routine?
I would love to know what works for you in terms of what to eat and when, how early you like to get to the race, and even what you wear!

And, what do you know now that you wish you had known in advance of your first race? Thanks! :D

bnn
Jerome Drayton

Postby bnn » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:42 pm

night before: lay out clothes, pin numbers, charge electronics, fill car with gas, leave no stone unturned

morning of: get up, drink coffee, poop ALOT (nerves/ibs)

:)
Just call me the thread killa

redhead
Bill Crothers

Postby redhead » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:00 pm

Not much experience here, but when I was training for my first HM my schedule called for a number of "dress rehearsal" runs before the race.

My race was on a Sunday morning, so on the weekends leading up to the race I tried to emulate what I would need to do on race day. On Saturdays I’d eat the same supper I was planning on eating the day before my race. I’d lay out my clothing for the next day, pack my race bag, go to bed early on Saturday night, get up early Sunday morning, eat my pre-race food (the same thing I was planning on eating before the race), have my coffee, do a little 10-minute shake-out jog around the block, come back in the house and hope to get the bathroom business over with at home, double check my race bag, double check my list of stuff I'd need or want to bring with me, (Garmin, eLoad, gels, etc.)

Then I'd drive to a location to run that morning. I was lucky in that I was running a local HM, so on the Sundays before the race I actually ran on a section of the HM course. I'd do a short warm-up when I got there, then I'd start my Garmin and do my run, starting at the same Gun Time as the race would (in my case that was 8:00 am).

I tried to do everything that I would need to actually do on race day. I learned what worked for me and what didn't (food-wise, etc.) It may or may not have helped me physically, but it helped me feel mentally prepared. (And yes, I’m a tad obsessive.) :D

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:15 pm

Nothing like the nervous excitment of that first race MORNING :D

I did not sleep much the night before (worried the alarm wouldn't go off) so I'd suggest trying to get in some quality zzzzz before eve of race.

I'm a really organized person and like others have mentionned having the race gear, shoes, number, fuel belt ,change of clothes, etc out and ready was key.

I need 2 hours prerace to eat and let me body do what it's gotta do :wink: so I get up early. Prerace breakfast is oatmeal and banana, what I always eat before a long run. Don't try anything new on race day.

Leave time to arrive at race, park, bag check and potty without feeling like you are rushing. For me getting there in plenty of time helped to relieve some of my stress.

And enjoy, soak up the atmosphere, you've worked hard to reach this goal and it's time to bask in the glory a little.
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:38 pm

Thursday
- Cut Hair
- Clip toes and finger nails, not too low
- to bed early

Friday
- Last run about 6-7k with a few pickups
- print out maps and stuff and put in race bag
- Start hydrating, water
- Start Carb loading, Honey, Fruit, I'll load more on Thursday and Friday and stay lean on Saturday
- Eat up to 8 oz. of honey supplementary to your normal meals the two days prior to the race. - Arthur Lydiard
- to bed early

Saturday
- no running
- lots of water
- eat honey
- 1 hour or so nap in the afternoon
- pasta w/ red sauce, small salad, bun for supper
- pack race bag
- pin number on singlet
- set out clothes for morning
- car is ready
- shower before bed, no deodorant

Sunday
- up and eat 3 hours before race starts
- no deodorant (anti-perspirants)
- eat cereal (Raisin Bran)
- poop
- Get coffee in
- sip water and gatorade
- poop
- one hour before race eat banana
- arrive at race at least one hour early
- poop
- optional 2 advil
- 45min before race powerbar
- hide
- 15min before race gel
- last pee
- warm up with a couple strides
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Re: What's your pre-race routine?

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:39 pm

Andes wrote:I am approaching my first-ever race (Mississauga 1/2M), and I'm sure that there are others out there in the same boat as me, so...
For all the seasoned racers out there, what's your pre-race routine?
I would love to know what works for you in terms of what to eat and when, how early you like to get to the race, and even what you wear!

I wear whatever I think looks cutest for the weather that day. lol
I usually eat oatmeal for breakfast or a pb/banana sandwich.
I always have to listen to my pre-race music to get jazzed up.
I rarely sleep the night before a race, just can't!

And, what do you know now that you wish you had known in advance of your first race? Thanks! :D

The only things you HAVE to remember are bib, chip, shoes, and bodyglide (nipguards if you are a guy!). Everything else is optional, so don't sweat it if you miss something. :)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

eljeffe
Bill Crothers

Postby eljeffe » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:46 pm

Robbie-T wrote:- hide

:lol:

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:48 pm

Don't pay attention to what anyone else is doing race morning - everyone has their own routine (and some are really bizarre!).

Don't start out too fast - it's easy to get caught up the pace that the people around you are running.

Run your own race. Honestly, there are SO many distractions around before and during the race - don't second-guess yourself and your own preparations. It's too late for that now.

Since Missisauga is in early May, weather can be unpredictable and variable between the start/end of the race. Bring some disposable clothes or wear garbage bags to keep warm before the race. Old socks make great throw-away arm-warmers or mittens. If you have someone meeting you at the finish line have them bring you some warm dry clothes to change into.

Don't over-dress (see above). Dress for the "middle" of your run. You will feel a bit chilly at the start, but that's OK - you'll warm up. That said, know where the wind is coming from because that can affect your perception of being hot/cold.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

redhead
Bill Crothers

Postby redhead » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:52 pm

Great list Robbie! :D

Here's a tip that stayed with me...

"Remember to take some time to thank the people in your life that made your participation in the race possible. Also, out on the course you will be supported by numerous volunteers directing traffic and helping at aid stations these people make the race happen - spare a word or two of thanks as you pass them by."

La wrote:Don't pay attention to what anyone else is doing race morning - everyone has their own routine (and some are really bizarre!).

True ... like don't start doing high step-ups and energetic plyometrics if you've never done them in your life. :D

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:56 pm

I'm sure you'll get a bazillion good tidbits. In terms of "I wish I knew then what I know now"...

- Take it easy with the carboloading. Eat a bit extra, not a lot extra. Your body doesn't need it, and it could cause problems.

- (assuming a large race) If you don't plan to get there early, then identify a less popular / further away parking place and just go there right away. If you're cutting time close, it's more relaxing (or you feel more in control) to park further and walk or jog to the start area than to drive around in circles trying to find a spot at one of the nearer (and likely full) lots. Seems minor, but it's caused me unnecessary panic in the past.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:11 pm

In general, do what you'd normally do before a long run.

I usually take the bus to races, so I plan out my route in order to get there about an hour before start time. I like to get to the race site early enough to drop off my bag and then do a warmup before the race. I wear a throw-away sweatshirt (something old or from Value Village) that I take off right before the start.

cgraham
Bill Crothers

Postby cgraham » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:11 pm

This is my favorite set of advive for first time race preparation. Scroll down to the 8th or so response

http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topi ... a9d5e46f/0
2009 Highlights
Marathon - 2:54:05 (Mar 22 - Tokyo)
Half - 1:20:00 (Apr 26 - Hartwell)
5k - 17:09 (Acura 5k - Jul 19)
800m - 2:16.80 (York U - Jul 28 )
Now - Getting back my running fitness
My training log

Why practice running slow? It comes naturally!

"There are two types of injuries that we older runners get: those that we can run with and those that we can't. And if you're over 30 and don't have one or the other, you aren't training hard enough." - Younger Legs blog

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:14 pm

nothing really earth shattering at add - I agree with dgrant - you don't need to go overboard with carbo-loading, esp for a half.

The only other thing I like to do is actually get a good idea in my mind how the course goes - just helps me to visualize what's coming up/what turns are ahead. That's about it.

also try to get myself strategically to the washroom at the right time - because it never fails - the moment I start the race, I usually have to go pee again. (and this is a plus on the pro list for tris.... :wink: )
Race Hard. Race Happy.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:16 pm

My pre-race routine is as obsessive as the next guy's, but my very best races have been when my routine has been disrupted (screwed up the start time, forgot a piece of clothing, forgot my coffee, etc) and its taken my mind off things.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:17 pm

About a week before the race, start the weather forecast thread for race day .... :shifty: :P :wink:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:27 pm

cgraham wrote:This is my favorite set of advive for first time race preparation. Scroll down to the 8th or so response

That's great! Except for the cell phone advice. That was so 2007. Now-a-days you can update Facebook from the race ...
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:28 pm

BJH wrote:
cgraham wrote:This is my favorite set of advive for first time race preparation. Scroll down to the 8th or so response

That's great! Except for the cell phone advice. That was so 2007. Now-a-days you can update Facebook from the race ...

Don't you mean Twitter! :wink:
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:29 pm

La wrote:
BJH wrote:

No way. That would be geeky!

(only because I don't twitter)
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

bruyere
Abby Hoffman

Postby bruyere » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:38 pm

BJH wrote:
La wrote:
BJH wrote:

No way. That would be geeky!

(only because I don't twitter)

Oh the cell phone thing!!
As I was busting a gut trying to have a strong finish at ATB (which I did, thank you very much), I passed someone - yes someone IN the race - walking, on her cell phone, saying "I'm almost at the finish line"...
"I was thinking of you yesterday as I was running through the woods. As I jumped over a fallen tree I said "If I were [bruyere], I'd be bleeding by now"." - Turd Ferguson

Andes
Johnny Miles

Postby Andes » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:47 pm

Thanks all for the great tips - I'm getting excited for race day now! I like the idea of trying out a dry run a couple of weeks before the race, especially since I'm not sure what kind of food I'll be able to stomach 2 hours before the 7:30am start...

waynerdog
Jerome Drayton

Postby waynerdog » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:52 pm

Banane wrote:morning of: ....poop ALOT (nerves/ibs)

You too, huh? :oops:

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:52 pm

My pre-race routine before a half is basically:
Friday- short run with 2-3km at race pace
Saturday- 2-3L of water, eat healthy. The past couple of good pre-race dinners have consisted of brown rice, chicken, veggies and Thai stirfry sauce. :)
Sunday- wake up at about 6 for an 8am start. Get dressed, have coffee/breakfast/glass or water by about 6:30. Have Redbull at 7. Use washroom. Get to start by 7:30-7:40. Use washroom again. Warmup till 7:50 or 7:55. Listen to "rev up" music. Get in the zone. Enjoy the start/race!

Yes, everyone has different routines, and different things work for different people. However off the top of my head here are some things I think are important for most people:

Don't worry too much if you don't get any/much sleep the night before. It's true, from my experience anyway, that the week leading up (especially Friday) counts the most for sleep anyway.

Make sure you pee right before the race, even if you don't feel like you have to. Mentally, it won't enter your mind during the race that way. Don't drink a TON of water at breakfast, just what you normally do. Tim Hortons is usually an excellent pre-race pit stop location.

Eat what you normally eat, and don't feel like you need to stuff yourself on the Saturday. Drink lots of water on Saturday, but again don't feel sick. 2-3 litres is probably sufficient.

Wear something hot! As in, something you feel awesome wearing. Maybe this is more important for girls than guys, but I think it's essential.

Put your chip on your shoe the night before. It doesn't hurt, and man would it suck to forget that!
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

bnn
Jerome Drayton

Postby bnn » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:02 pm

waynerdog wrote:
Banane wrote:morning of: ....poop ALOT (nerves/ibs)

You too, huh? :oops:

mhm :)
Just call me the thread killa

Return to “General Running Discussion”