National Capital Marathon (Ottawa)

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

dgrant
Lynn Williams

National Capital Marathon (Ottawa)

Postby dgrant » Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:07 am

I've run this event twice...2002 and 2005 (as well as the 1/2 marathon in 2004).

I've always found this event to be smoothly organized and a lot of fun. Although the marathon field is only mid-sized, there are 6 other races this weekend (including inline skate races), so there is generally a nice hype to the weekend, and the downtown area has a nice buzz.

The expo is always average - the usual exhibitors and motivational speakers (this year they had Frank Shorter who was cool), and a little bit cramped. They used to have cloder to downtown, but now it's at Carleton University, about 10km from downtown.

The course changed for 2004. It used to be two loops of what is now the second half of the current course. The race starts downtown, winds across the Ottawa river into Quebec, returns to Ontario for a loop through one of Ottawa's swankier areas, then backtracks to downtown. The second half follows the Rideau Canal south past Carleton University, then backtracks to the finish. The race is basically two out-and-backs in different directions. The first half is somewhat hilly - no individually tough inclines, but several hilly sections. The second half is pancake flat except for one tough bridge at 32km. Both halves are EXTREMELY scenic and take you past some of Ottawa's best landmarks (Parliament, sveral museums, National Art Gallery).

The aid stations and volunteer support are outstanding. Traffic control is seamless. The recovery area is large and easy to navigate. The crowd turnout is a bit sparse for a race of this overall caliber, but the ones who are there are excellent and the final km of the course is very well-attended.

I would recommend this race to marathoners of all levels. Ottawa is a gorgeous city to visit, and this is a great mid-sized marathon!

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:49 pm

I've also done this one twice, and PB'd both times. It's the best race I've run in Canada! I would very highly recommend both the full and the half marathons. I didn't find the first half of the full too bad, although I was careful to hold back pace-wise for most of the first half anyway. There's nothing major, just a few minor inclines.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

jacob42.2
Bill Crothers

Postby jacob42.2 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:03 am

I've also raced this one twice, both the full. I love the new course. The final 21k are probably the best miles you'll ever see during a marathon. Running all along the canal, then all down the other side of the canal.
The roads are all closed to traffic, with exception to two, but you're only on those for a little bit of time. I really liked the gel stations at 21 and 32, very handy. A good tip, for anyone racing this about the bathrooms:

There are tons of good open restaurants along elgin, and some hotels behind City Hall that will definatly cater to the runner on that specific day. If you have more than say 10-20 minutes before the start, don't stand in the sucker line...Take a quick walk (5 mins max for the furthest one) and enjoy the comfort of no line :D .

This course is definatly a flatty! I BQ'd here.
PB's: 5k: 16:40 10K: 34:59 21.1: 1:17:16 Marathon: 02:50:47
RUNNING MANIA #2

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:11 am

For anyone who hasn't run this event: notice all three reviwers so far have come back a second time!

lovethehills
Bill Crothers

Postby lovethehills » Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:40 am

Ran the 1/2 this year and will definately be back next year....though the distance remains to be seen :wink: I'd love to do the full, but it will depend on the injury situation.
"Only through curiosity can we discover opportunities, and only through gambling can we take advantage of them."

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:27 am

Have done the full here twice (old course and new one) as well as the half three times (including my PB). It's a great race and great support.

Only downside is now that it's the last weekend in May it's hotter than it was when it was on Mother's Day.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:36 am

LaDeChat wrote:Have done the full here twice (old course and new one) as well as the half three times (including my PB). It's a great race and great support.

Only downside is now that it's the last weekend in May it's hotter than it was when it was on Mother's Day.

Excellent point. With the way they start the 1/2 marathon later now, it means many people are out on the course in some wicked midday heat.

Run26.2
Jerome Drayton

Postby Run26.2 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:51 pm

I consider this baby my "home" marathon...love the race..love the organization...love the new (since 2004) course...and love the crowd support...a great marathon for a first timer or for anyone looking to PB! 8)
"...twenty miles of hope, six miles of truth..."
21 marathons since 2001......up next, CND Army half-marathon in Sept. and Toronto Waterfront marathon in Oct.

runjanerun
Jerome Drayton

Postby runjanerun » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:09 pm

I've done the half four times (2000, 2001, 2002, 2003) and the full once (2004). The only reason why I didn't go back this year was I was cheering on our friend and mentor, Sandy, who was attempting her 100 miler at Sulphur Springs. And I had the chance to run a 10K trail run with my daughter there!

The route is definitely picturesque! There is nothing more Canadian than running past the Parliament Buildings, if you ask me. When I ran the full and we ran down (up?) Wellington Street past the Parliament Buildings at the beginning of the race, I got this huge lump in my throat! And the canal, it is just gorgeous to run along. Lots of people cheering along the route too, which was great!

I just wish that they would make a bigger finish line area. I found it very claustrophobic last year. It was crowded when we came in and I just wanted to get out of there (I wasn't feeling great)! It is also very hard to find your family members if you don't have a pre-determined place to meet. My husband said that next time he wants me to carry a cell phone so he knows even if I am done or not, and so he can find me. I have a friend who found the whole crowd aspect overwhelming. She prefers smaller runs with only a couple of hundred people. I find anything over 10K and I really like to have more people with the crowd for support. Ottawa definitely has that!
Jane

Gummivore
Bruce Kidd

Postby Gummivore » Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:27 am

Wow, great comments. I'm coming to run Ottawa next May for sure.

Could somebody fill me in on what I should watch out for on the full course? (any gotcha's)

SB

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:29 pm

I LOVE Ottawa!

2003 - My first 10K race
2004 - My First Half Marathon
2005 - My First Full Marathon

That last bridge over Dow's Lake is the Gotcha, Steve!
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:04 pm

trixiee wrote:

Yep, there's a somewhat tough bridge at about 33 Km that feels killer at that point in the race, but then it's clear sailing to the finish.

I found kilometres 8-16 of the new course a bit hilly (rolling), but then you have more than an hour of flatness to recover. The only other thing is that there is the potential for the weather to get hot and muggy. The full marathon started early enough to avoid it this year, but the half marathoners got scorched.

Generally I'd call it a PB potential course. I hope you love it!!!

da
Bill Crothers

Postby da » Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:39 pm

It was a great race. My first full marathon this year and I loved it.

I too found the finish area a bit crowded (and was attacked by two volunteer "guards" after picking up my mother's checked sweater as she was laying down near passed out and in no way going to move when I tried to get back in to get it to her).

I also found there was a lack of port a potties on the course. I found it a bit disturbing running through beautiful Ottawa and seeing people relieving themselves all over the place. It was a bit unfortunate. I hope that improves for next year.

I'll be back next year.

Gummivore
Bruce Kidd

Postby Gummivore » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:17 pm

dgrant wrote:
trixiee wrote:

Yep, there's a somewhat tough bridge at about 33 Km that feels killer at that point in the race, but then it's clear sailing to the finish.

How long is the bridge? Also, which hotels would you recommend staying at?

SB

runjanerun
Jerome Drayton

Postby runjanerun » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:08 pm

It's on 28 May next year.

I found too that there could have been more port-a-potties along the route. I had to wait for my friend (we made a pact to stay together as long as we could both still continue) while she waited in line for about 10 minutes at one location!

I stayed at the Cartier Suites. It is only about a block from the start line - the last year that I did the half, I stayed there and got woken up in the morning by the loud speaker broadcasting the anticipated marathon start! How's that for getting into the spirit before you even get out of bed! I stayed there because I like to have last minute bathroom trips and it was very convenient! You could head over to the start about 10-15 minutes before. They have apt-style rooms with kitchens so you can make your own breakfast. One down side -- one year it was a nightmare checking in - the line up was right out the door! I don't recall that happening the last year though - maybe I went later.... I can't remember.

Also, stay the Sunday night. It is hard to get a late check out time so that you can go back and freshen up (we also encountered this problem one year at Les Suites, and had to wait in line to shower at the hotel pool). It is also great to stay the extra day and wander around Ottawa the rest of the day, with all the other remaining runners, sporting your t-shirt and medal!

So far, they don't have any hotels listed yet with special race weekend rates, but the Cartier Suites was one of them. When you see it come up on the NCM website, book a room. I always booked by January. By Feb or March the special rated rooms are gone. You can always cancel if you decide not to do the run or to stay somewhere else.

Hope this helps....
Jane

Gummivore
Bruce Kidd

Postby Gummivore » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:33 pm

Excellent points. I'm book my hotel in January for sure. I'll likely register at the same time. Just printed out my calendar and working out my training plan. I'm getting soooo excited (and yet still a bit sore from RVM ... :oops: )

SB

runjanerun
Jerome Drayton

Postby runjanerun » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:21 pm

I paid $159 a night for the two bedroom suite two years ago. I shared with another person, so it worked out to $80 each per night (plus all the taxes!) A friend of mine paid $129 a night I think for the one bedroom. Their website says cheaper rates for the weekends, I guess because most of their business is during the weeknights. However, race weekend everything gets booked up and I don't know if the prices are higher because of that.

Their website is www.suitedreams.com, but you can't do online booking or searching for rates for a certain night. That isn't too convenient, but you could always call the toll-free number and ask.
Jane

Gummivore
Bruce Kidd

Postby Gummivore » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:47 pm

I sure hope I can find something with late checkout. I was at a hotel this past weekend from the Victoria Marathon that let us checkout at 4pm for an extra $40

SB

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:19 pm

Gummivore wrote:How long is the bridge? Also, which hotels would you recommend staying at?
SB

The bridge is NOTHING SCARY! Funny- the first time I did the NCM full it was a double loop and I barely noticed it as it was at about 12K. When I got to it at 33 I was like "did I REALLY run this already and not remember it?!" It's probably 200-300 metres, but you can be confident that once you get to the top, it's ALL downhill or flat from there. That knowledge really helped me! Oh, and it's the only hill in the second half. There are a few VERY minor ups and downs in the first half. Nothing big. I had only done the double loop course before Ottawa, so I drove the first half beforehand as I'd heard it was "hilly". It's nothing!

I can't think of any "gotcha's" about this race! It's excellent through and through! Because Dave is from Ottawa I've never had to worry about hotels, but I have heard it fills up fast.
Check out local B&B's as well- Dave's family used to run one in the Glebe (5 minute drive to downtown) and there were several others around their place.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

da
Bill Crothers

Postby da » Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:18 pm

we were able to get late checkout without a problem (we also had a block of 4 rooms booked). I can't remember where we stayed though.... :?:

dwrun
Percy Williams

"the bridge"

Postby dwrun » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:41 pm

"the bridge" is actually not too tough, what was tough was everyone telling me about "the bridge".
It was in my head for quite a while, you see the bridge as you go under it, you come around and think you are going to go up it but sneek under it and into the park, you get a gel station & water and come out of the park, finally you get "the bridge".
Well, I went up the bridge and thought was that it?am I done?is there more?
That was it, smooth sailing after that.
What annoyed me was all the talk of "the bridge", it was in my head for 30 minutes, should I take a walk break before, going up, after, do I need to slow my pace & prepare??? All of these questions as opposed to, bridge at 32km, run up the damn hill and keep going strong.

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:43 pm

welcome dwrun! :)
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

lovethehills
Bill Crothers

Postby lovethehills » Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:13 pm

FYI: I booked my room at Cartier Place Suites about 3 weeks ago. The rooms go quickly and according to their website 3 weeks ago, they were already booked. I called the hotel to confirm that and sure enough, they had a room. I have a 2 bedroom suite, with pull out couch....the more the merrier!!! Sadly, I think everything is already spoken for.

See you all there!!!!!
"Only through curiosity can we discover opportunities, and only through gambling can we take advantage of them."

Gummivore
Bruce Kidd

Postby Gummivore » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:39 am

I booked back in Oct as well. However, I decided not to go with one of the NCM official hotels. I went with the Sheraton which still had decent availability back then and is only two blocks from the start line. The rate was about middle of the pack relative to those offered my the NCM sponsored hotels.

SB

B-Girl
Johnny Miles

Postby B-Girl » Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:01 pm

The Cooper Street HOliday INn is also great, its around the corner from the start line and reasonably priced. I booked mine now without a credit card so I can cancel because I"m not positive I'm going to go, I'll be deciding in Janurary.But it was something like 130 a night for 2 double beds and as I said its a fantastic location!! and usually full of runners so hopefully no loud people in the halls on race night :shock:

Return to “General Running Discussion”