Cabot Trail Relay

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Scott
Bill Crothers

Postby Scott » Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:11 pm

Dani, there's nothing in the Highlands to freak you out at night - except the moose, coyotes, bobcat, etc. Plus, apprently this past event, one of the runners was rolled by a couple of locals in the wee hours after the bars closed and the stole his glow stick!

Lovethehills, I hope you plan to join up, you are going to love this route!

Scott

q
Bill Crothers

Postby q » Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:16 pm

TheBman wrote:Hmmmmm.......was asked to go into it this year, but had ING to do with a newbie as her coach.
CERTAINLY a possibility......you have openned the "counds like a plan" vault.....better get flowers for Mrs. Bman if I am gonna chat about this one!!!

Would be looking for others from the Capital Area to share ride/expnses with.....

TheBman

Bring her, has she been to Cape Breton? Really, its nice, ask Nick, he's not from here.

'Sides, we may need a support vechile ( designated ) driver. :wink:
Bettina Peterson: "Where're you headed?"
Chuck Noland: "Well, I was just about to figure that out."

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:23 pm

I am getting excited! Okay, I am so in. Am I the young one? Ah, so nice to be called young! I didn't even get ID'd at the LC tonight. hmph. Just remember when picking the legs of the race that i am still a new runner!!!!! i need an easy one (edit - easier - i know that it is in the highlands!!!) and prefer daytime. and need to bum a lift there too. But I am definately in.

As for the Bluenose, i had originally thought of doing the half next year. but if times are conflicting and i have to choose, i'll do the relay and just do the 10k again for bluenose or something, no worries there. this'll be a new thing for me, and i won't be ready to do a full yet by that time. and i should have the valley harvest half under my belt by then.... knock on wood!

Scott
Bill Crothers

Postby Scott » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:13 pm

Angela, I have it on good authority that there will be a Hypothermic Half in Halifax in Feb/March. Plus there's the Middleton Half this Nov.

Scott

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:53 pm

i've been in touch with the Rec board in middleton about the half this nov. it's nov 3. think i'll just do the kentville one. if winter running goes okay (my frist winter running), i may try the hypothermic.

q
Bill Crothers

Postby q » Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:44 am

Angela you're are hooked on halfs already! You just don't know it yet. And I got a lift for you..

q
Bill Crothers

Postby q » Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:39 am

OK, just to sum up....

"In"
1 Brendan
2 Angela
3 Stephen
4 Lisa
5 Dani

Possibles

1 Scott, depends on the "growing" effect?
2 Bman depends on how nice the flowers are.
3 Karen depends on the tips
4 Nick depending if he doesn't run with his Ottawa based team

Did I get this right? Let me know if you want your status changed to something else. Did I miss anybody?

Hey, Scott, what about Mrs Scott? Could be like a second honeymoon, the romantic Highlands, beautiful senery, fiddle music, gatorade, a crowded mini-van. MMMMMM, nice!

Lovethehills Where Are You? Cape Breton will remind you of "the rock"

lovethehills
Bill Crothers

Postby lovethehills » Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:56 am

Eeek, sorry, was working VERY hard yesterday and into late last night.

OK, here's the deal: I planned to go back to NCM next year and last years race was dreadful due to injury. However, if I can convince my other half that the Cabot Trail would be a great experience, you'll definately have 2 more!! He's got his heart set on heading back to Ottawa though, so it might be a little hard to convince him otherwise. ( It was his first race weekend andhe absolutely loved the whole atmospehre, etc)

We'll see. I've also got to get the dates confirmed. I'd love to do it with you guys....and I'd maybe even be in for the night time leg. I think that would be a great experience!
"Only through curiosity can we discover opportunities, and only through gambling can we take advantage of them."

q
Bill Crothers

Postby q » Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:03 am

You know, I totally get running your first race again. I'll put you on depends on other half on the possible list then?

Note we have no "No" section yet....

q
Bill Crothers

Postby q » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:23 pm

BUMP

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:49 pm

Great idea Brendan!

Unfortunately, Quickchick and I are pretty much married to NCM that weekend, whether it's the 1/2 or full. My Mom is #1 member of the RM Nation Fan Club - Ottawa Chapter, and we can't let her down.

I have been to Cape Breton several times as a tourist and want to say to anyone who hasn't been that it is very much a must-see destination. Thank goodness for digital cameras, 'cause you could go through 10 rolls of film there! Maybe you can recruit a few Albertans or British Columbians for this one Brendan...

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:37 am

don't worry, we can get more people on board. i may be able to talk a friend or two into joining us. it's still quite a ways away.

q
Bill Crothers

Postby q » Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:50 am

Running Angel wrote:don't worry, we can get more people on board. i may be able to talk a friend or two into joining us. it's still quite a ways away.

Who me? Worry? I don't worry about too much.... In fact I maybe able to get a few bucks donated for our cause at work. I am setting a few hooks in the water, we'll see how that goes... No promises, but it looks good.

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:03 am

qmp wrote:
Running Angel wrote:don't worry, we can get more people on board. i may be able to talk a friend or two into joining us. it's still quite a ways away.

Who me? Worry? I don't worry about too much.... In fact I maybe able to get a few bucks donated for our cause at work. I am setting a few hooks in the water, we'll see how that goes... No promises, but it looks good.
does this relay raise $$ for a cause? or are you just looking to cover some of our costs?my work is good for donations if it is for a good cause.

Scott
Bill Crothers

Postby Scott » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:17 am

Its not a charity, Angela, but the registration fee is around $800 per team (I think), so a sponsor is more of what a team should be looking for.

Scott

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:26 am

that's not too bad if we get the 17 people. but, yikes, does sound like a lot! doubt if my work would, but may be able to get a donation if we get shirts or something (Maniac Shirts!!!) with sponser names.

kevvyd
Bruce Kidd

Postby kevvyd » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:38 am

Hey guys,

Put me down! I missed out on it this year because I was unsure of how I'd feel right after running the Bluenose half. As it turned out, I would have been perfectly fine - so I'm stoked to do it next year.
Kevin

q
Bill Crothers

Postby q » Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:44 pm

OK, just to sum up again.... Still plenty of room...

"In"
1 Brendan
2 Angela
3 Stephen
4 Lisa
5 Dani
6 Kevin

Possibles

1 Scott, depends on the "growing" effect?
2 Bman depends on how nice the flowers are.
3 Karen depends on the tips
4 Nick depending if he doesn't run with his Ottawa based team

Did I get this right? Let me know if you want your status changed to something else. Did I miss anybody?

And you are right Scott, I should have said sponsor, not donate....

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:30 pm

hey, they can still donate money to us in general! could be used for some "refreshments" or t-shirts to run in (or more t-shirts than we already have...). i may go about that. i could go stand on spring garden and ask for donations for the poor running maniacs that have to pay to go to the race... think i'd get any? sorry, bored of homework, this is more fun.

q
Bill Crothers

Postby q » Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:37 pm

Angela, you are cracking me up... You would have better luck at the entrance to the park though. You could make all the joggers feel bad with your worn out shoes....

There also an owner of a trendy business, after seeing my "marathoner" MBTS shirt, he mentioned he runs at least one marathon a year.

Again, I'm not worried. Lots of time left...

q
Bill Crothers

Postby q » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:20 am

Looks like one store is going to donate 6 solar blankets, and a couple of cases of water, maybe even a liitle cash

At least its a start

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:31 am

A couple of years ago Dave and I drove out to the Cabot trail, and my car had to take a little break at one point because of all the up and down! The run looks a little scary, especially since you have to maintain a minimum 10 minute per mile pace! Usually that'd be no problem, but going up steep mountains for 15 or 20K at faster than 10 min/mile could be a challenge!
We'll see... it was one of the most beautiful places I've ever been, so perhaps I could be convinced! Especially if I do the Vancouver full at the beginning of May instead of Ottawa.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

CAW
Lynn Williams

Postby CAW » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:32 am

I wanna come, I can not commit to running....way too much for me...but I am willing to be support personell....maybe I can drive the support vehicle.....
~Kara~

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself."
— Thich Nhat Hanh

q
Bill Crothers

Postby q » Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:23 pm

QuickChick wrote:A couple of years ago Dave and I drove out to the Cabot trail, and my car had to take a little break at one point because of all the up and down! The run looks a little scary, especially since you have to maintain a minimum 10 minute per mile pace! Usually that'd be no problem, but going up steep mountains for 15 or 20K at faster than 10 min/mile could be a challenge!
We'll see... it was one of the most beautiful places I've ever been, so perhaps I could be convinced! Especially if I do the Vancouver full at the beginning of May instead of Ottawa.

Only legs 3, 4, 6, 7, 9, 10 11, 13, 14, 15 and 17 Look mountain like, the rest are only hilly!

There is only 1 leg that is 20K (leg 4 [of course it is UP MOUNT Smokey]), the rest are shorter (the shortest is 12K and a bit) I think there are a bunch of 14 and 15's! It is going to be a blast!

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:52 pm

Here is the actual URL on the CTRR site that describes the various legs.

http://cabottrailrelay.com/legs.html
"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers but borrowed from his children." - John James Audubon

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"I was watching the London Marathon and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and another runner dressed as an egg. I thought: 'This could be interesting'." - Paddy Lennox

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast!" - author unknown

Return to “General Running Discussion”