Winter Running

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

When the snow begins to fly, how much of your running do you shift inside to the treadmill.

1%-25%
34%
26%-50%
9%
51%-75%
8%
76%-100%
11%
umm..what's a treadmill?
36%
umm..what's snow?
1%

Total votes: 74

Darth Tater
Lynn Williams

Re: Winter Running

Postby Darth Tater » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:20 am

mcshame wrote:rough crowd...ok, heading out...

Positively balmy out here today...-12°C, windchill -20°C!
Darth Tater

"Wherever you go, there you are."

KBO
Ben Johnson

Postby KBO » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:38 am

Darth Tater wrote:

Last night was lovely for a run. Such a nice break from minus stoopid with a windchill of 'oh my freakin' gawd'.

Darth Tater
Lynn Williams

Postby Darth Tater » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:51 am

KBO wrote:
Darth Tater wrote:

Last night was lovely for a run. Such a nice break from minus stoopid with a windchill of 'oh my freakin' gawd'.

It was nice to have a couple layers LESS than the past couple weeks.
Darth Tater

clocker
Bill Crothers

Postby clocker » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:37 am

Today will feel so warm at -11C. I hope the wind stays down!
Ian
Hostility is a psychic boomerang

daddy_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby daddy_runner » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:04 pm

Darth Tater wrote:
KBO wrote:
Darth Tater wrote:Positively balmy out here today...-12°C, windchill -20°C!

It was nice to have a couple layers LESS than the past couple weeks.

Seconded!
Plan for 2017:
END-SURE 25k...done! 2:30:23
Spruce Woods Ultra volunteering...done!
Kettle Moraine 100
Western States 100 crewing
Falcon Fatass 50k
Superior 100

babysteps
Jerome Drayton

Postby babysteps » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:04 pm

I think I've run outdoors more this winter so far than I did all of last year! But tomorrow is forecast to be -13 with a windchill of -29. I'd like to do at least part of my run outside but I'm not sure how to dress for it. I'm also not sure if I have clothes appropriate for that temp.

So, all you hard core types...what should I wear for my run tomorrow? -13, wc of -29. Winds northwest 40kph gusting to 70kph.
http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/city/pages/nb-15_metric_e.html

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:14 pm

babysteps wrote:I think I've run outdoors more this winter so far than I did all of last year! But tomorrow is forecast to be -13 with a windchill of -29. I'd like to do at least part of my run outside but I'm not sure how to dress for it. I'm also not sure if I have clothes appropriate for that temp.

So, all you hard core types...what should I wear for my run tomorrow? -13, wc of -29. Winds northwest 40kph gusting to 70kph.

we've had a couple of winter gear threads recently, so check the gear section. but -13/-29 means a strong wind... which will be tough even aside from the cold. Personally, I'd run inside but that's just me. :)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:17 pm

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

klc
Jerome Drayton

Postby klc » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:39 pm

Oliver playing in the snow during our run yesterday.

Darth Tater
Lynn Williams

Postby Darth Tater » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:13 pm

babysteps wrote:I think I've run outdoors more this winter so far than I did all of last year! But tomorrow is forecast to be -13 with a windchill of -29. I'd like to do at least part of my run outside but I'm not sure how to dress for it. I'm also not sure if I have clothes appropriate for that temp.

Sounds like my run today, -14/-26. Now, I'm pretty acclimatized, and have a natural layer of insulation, but I wore a long sleeve tech, a fleece, a running shell/jacket, briefs, running pants, a headband & buff on my head, shoes and socks, and mitts. I could have used a second buff for a face covering when I ran in areas with less cover, but otherwise I was fine.

I'd likely recommend more for you. :lol: :wink:
Darth Tater

smack
Johnny Miles

Postby smack » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:27 pm

Winter sure slows me down (icy sidewalks, bad snow clearing, etc., etc,) but with no treadmill in the house it's all outdoor training for this guy. I actually look forward to runs on -5 to -10 C if it's not too windy - the air is crisp and there just seems to be something extra about getting out there in the cold and giving it. Now if I only had a matching winter outfit instead of the multi-hued affair I usually sport to combat the cold I might even look like a real runner :D

Stuart
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

2010 Races
Chilly Half - 1:38:46 (PB)
ATB - March 28
OUS Seaton - April 17 (Maybe)
5 Peaks Dundas Valley - April 24

Full Spring 2010 :)
50K Fall 2010 :)
100K 2011?

NewFinnLoper
Jerome Drayton

Postby NewFinnLoper » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:54 pm

smack wrote:Winter sure slows me down (icy sidewalks, bad snow clearing, etc., etc,) but with no treadmill in the house it's all outdoor training for this guy. I actually look forward to runs on -5 to -10 C if it's not too windy - the air is crisp and there just seems to be something extra about getting out there in the cold and giving it. Now if I only had a matching winter outfit instead of the multi-hued affair I usually sport to combat the cold I might even look like a real runner :D

Stuart

Welcome to RM Stuart!!!

Hey, You know the cars won't miss you if you're dressed multi-coloured...I'm a ninja and blend into the night!!
22 halfs (PR 1:42:02) :)
5 full (PR 3:48:21)
...and a smattering of adventure and trail races thrown in for good measure!
--------------------------
All running is on hold until further notice .... :0(

smack
Johnny Miles

Postby smack » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:12 pm

NewFinnLoper wrote:
smack wrote:Winter sure slows me down (icy sidewalks, bad snow clearing, etc., etc,) but with no treadmill in the house it's all outdoor training for this guy. I actually look forward to runs on -5 to -10 C if it's not too windy - the air is crisp and there just seems to be something extra about getting out there in the cold and giving it. Now if I only had a matching winter outfit instead of the multi-hued affair I usually sport to combat the cold I might even look like a real runner :D

Stuart

Welcome to RM Stuart!!!

Hey, You know the cars won't miss you if you're dressed multi-coloured...I'm a ninja and blend into the night!!

I think it's my wife that's most distressed by my outfits though I do run by a couple of high schools and draw some unnecessary attention there as well :shock:

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:13 pm

lol

In my opinion, when it gets really cold, "real" runners wear whatever keeps them warm. Save the looking good for summer! :)

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:14 pm

ultraslacker wrote:lol

In my opinion, when it gets really cold, "real" runners wear whatever keeps them warm. Save the looking good for summer! :)

Or they run off to Vancouver and try to remember what this "cold" feels like. Whatever works. :wink:
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:17 pm

Turd Ferguson wrote:
ultraslacker wrote:lol

Or they run off to Vancouver and try to remember what this "cold" feels like. Whatever works. :wink:

yeah well, can you blame me? Last year in Edmonton winter was BRUTAL. Now I live in paradise but I can't run... such is life. :P

ABXF
Tom Longboat

Postby ABXF » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:55 pm

I answered 51-75% in terms of mileage but in terms of days per week it would be 83%. At the moment I'm running 6 days per week with usually only one (the long run) and sometime two days outside. I think I should increase this to at least two days per week outside regularly. I do swimming on Monday and Wednesday and a 5k treadmill run with weights is fairly convenient with that, though AM/PM or running to/from the gym would be another possibility. Tuesday I do speed work which I think I would find difficult and somewhat risky outside. Thursday is a progression or tempo and Saturday is sometimes race pace which could be done outside and I think sometimes should be. This schedule will probably change a bit as I start adding ice skating and a bit of snowshoe running.

I have a common RR jacket and some MEC insulated pants. The outer items that are less runner-like are the large mitts and the cheap toque with unfashionable pattern that was probably bought from K-Mart about 30 years ago.

babysteps
Jerome Drayton

Postby babysteps » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:02 pm

Darth Tater wrote:

Sounds like my run today, -14/-26. Now, I'm pretty acclimatized, and have a natural layer of insulation, but I wore a long sleeve tech, a fleece, a running shell/jacket, briefs, running pants, a headband & buff on my head, shoes and socks, and mitts. I could have used a second buff for a face covering when I ran in areas with less cover, but otherwise I was fine.

I'd likely recommend more for you. :lol: :wink:

Thanks. That's helpful. My bottom always gets cold so I'm thinking about adding a second pair of light running pants over my winter running tights to help with the wind. I'm even considering adding some shorts too, but that might be overkill. Today I wore a headband and buff, but it was only about -5 and somewhat windy. Tomorrow I'll wear a hat and buff.

babysteps
Jerome Drayton

Postby babysteps » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:04 pm

So today's run was done outside in -13/-25 conditions. I was too warm as I was overdressed. I feel it was a "prove something" kind of run - that I CAN run in those conditions. However, I'm not sure what the benefit is. My pace was slow - 7:16 where I've been averaging 6:40 for my easy runs but it felt like a tempo run in terms of effort. I'm a bit worried running outside in the snow will end up slowing me down. So, is there any real benefit to running outside when I do have easy access to a TM or am I better off sticking to the TM? I certainly couldn't have run tempo pace out there today, so I will go back to the TM for those as long as there is this much snow down.

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Postby VeloCarrie » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:11 pm

babysteps wrote: I'm a bit worried running outside in the snow will end up slowing me down.

Your pace will be slower because the footing isn't that great, just like your pace on a trail is much slower than on a road. But trust me, come the spring, you will see the results of running outside.

ETA: Not to mention what running outside to your mental run. You really see the results in the mental game. "if I can run through this, I can run through anything!"
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:14 pm

Trail Child Carrie wrote:
babysteps wrote: I'm a bit worried running outside in the snow will end up slowing me down.

Your pace will be slower because the footing isn't that great, just like your pace on a trail is much slower than on a road. But trust me, come the spring, you will see the results of running outside.

ETA: Not to mention what running outside to your mental run. You really see the results in the mental game. "if I can run through this, I can run through anything!"

And in the spring/clear sidewalk days.. you will feel like you are FLYING! :D
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:19 pm

babysteps wrote:So today's run was done outside in -13/-25 conditions. I was too warm as I was overdressed. I feel it was a "prove something" kind of run - that I CAN run in those conditions. However, I'm not sure what the benefit is. My pace was slow - 7:16 where I've been averaging 6:40 for my easy runs but it felt like a tempo run in terms of effort. I'm a bit worried running outside in the snow will end up slowing me down. So, is there any real benefit to running outside when I do have easy access to a TM or am I better off sticking to the TM? I certainly couldn't have run tempo pace out there today, so I will go back to the TM for those as long as there is this much snow down.

1. Yes it will slow you down, but that doesn't matter. Running in any adverse conditions i.e. trails, hills, cold, snow, heat slows you down but also makes you more resilient and stronger.

2. The benefit is resiliency and strength, both mental and physical. As I like to say, anyone can run outside when its nice, it takes a tough person to run when its crap out.

3. I find outdoor running good for my spirit and soul. Even if I can't do outdoor speedwork this time of year, I can recharge my batteries by going for one of those runs where my eyelids freeze shut and I can send myself the message about how much I enjoy this, the sort of message you can't send yourself on a treadmill.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:42 pm

Trail Child Carrie wrote:

Carrie (and Mike) nailed it. Some of my winter runs are as much as 50% slower than they would be on a TM but history has shown me that winter running will make me faster when spring hits. That doesn't mean that all your winter runs need to be outside, but that you'll benefit from any kind of running, especially if you can convince yourself that you're enjoying it.

Kristen
Bill Crothers

Postby Kristen » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:30 am

Here are some tips for winter running if anyone is interested: http://www.mraweb.ca/articles/winter_running.htm

My legs are *still* sore this morning, so I've been doing some reading on winter running. The 9th tip says that after your first runs on snow or ice you might experience slight soreness because your supporting muscles are working hard to support your slipping.

However, I didn't notice any serious muscle soreness until this past weekend. The difference? In December I had 9 outdoor runs, including some LSDs, but these runs saw comparatively little accumulated snow and ice. If you have to run through inches of slush, inches of snow, slush with snow or ice underneath, snow with ice underneath, or just inches of hard-packed uneven (and slippery) snow, your muscles will take a pounding. I had two of these runs this weekend (one that was 20K, and another that was 24K) and I'm paying for it. I'm all for strengthening the legs, but I do believe I may have punished my legs a little too much in taking both of these runs outdoors.

My personal advice to anyone doing back-to-back winter runs is to keep one of them indoors until your legs have totally adjusted to January/February conditions (not early winter conditions), or keep one of your runs indoors for the duration of the winter if your soreness seems to linger for a significant length of time.

mcshame
Sylvia Ruegger

Postby mcshame » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:07 am

Kristen wrote:Here are some tips for winter running if anyone is interested: http://www.mraweb.ca/articles/winter_running.htm

My legs are *still* sore this morning, so I've been doing some reading on winter running. The 9th tip says that after your first runs on snow or ice you might experience slight soreness because your supporting muscles are working hard to support your slipping.

However, I didn't notice any serious muscle soreness until this past weekend. The difference? In December I had 9 outdoor runs, including some LSDs, but these runs saw comparatively little accumulated snow and ice. If you have to run through inches of slush, inches of snow, slush with snow or ice underneath, snow with ice underneath, or just inches of hard-packed uneven (and slippery) snow, your muscles will take a pounding. I had two of these runs this weekend (one that was 20K, and another that was 24K) and I'm paying for it. I'm all for strengthening the legs, but I do believe I may have punished my legs a little too much in taking both of these runs outdoors.

My personal advice to anyone doing back-to-back winter runs is to keep one of them indoors until your legs have totally adjusted to January/February conditions (not early winter conditions), or keep one of your runs indoors for the duration of the winter if your soreness seems to linger for a significant length of time.

I experienced this as well. A Saturday run and then a Sunday LSD in SNOW, heavy and unplowed. I definitely felt it in the legs and the knees. I was tough. A day of rest yesterday and this morning I was feeling pretty strong with light snow still on the ground. I just can't bring myself to run indoors...just can't...

Return to “General Running Discussion”