Steamy Wednesday Morning Thread

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

mcshame
Sylvia Ruegger

Steamy Wednesday Morning Thread

Postby mcshame » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:30 am

Blahhhh....yick out there. 6.6k recovery run @ 4:53. I just feel gross!

Stay cool eastern maniacs.

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Re: Steamy Wednesday Morning Thread

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:02 am

REALLY warm out there -- 12.66 km done with 3 X 2 min at 4:33/4:29/4:30 - love seeing these paces getting stronger all the time - nice 50 min cool down in Z1 afterwards.... glad to be done early -- it's going to be warm again today... :D
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

a-slow-5
Jerome Drayton

Postby a-slow-5 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:18 am

Really warm IN there too! Hit the gym. 3K done on the t/m.
Treat a child as though she already is the person she's capable of becoming. - Haim Ginott
Keep going. Never give up. - Spencer Dolling
Run like hell, feel like hell, look like hell! - Nick
It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you have. - Cheryl Crow

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:26 am

3k done outside in the heat. Heading to the beach for an hour or so with my little man before it gets too hot (and busy!).
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

JacSprat
Bill Crothers

Postby JacSprat » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:30 am

East over here isn't quite as bad for heat/humidity as east over there but I have a rest day today anyway :D

Have a good day everyone! Stay cool out there!
Jacqui

------------------------
MyTraining

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:30 am

Ended up staying the night a mum's place as there was a power outtage in my 'hood from about 7:00pm to midnight ... :shock: :shock: It was getting really nasty by about 9:30pm or so, and without much sleep the past 24 hours was starting to feel it ... etc ....

Got up early and headed back home and got in a 9K steady run in the 'hoods ... It was already 23C+ 85% humidity at 6am this morning, but just needed to get out there and shake things up mentally, after what has gone on the past 36 hours ..... :?
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:44 am

Morning,

3 miles at 5:15 AM and it was wayt oo hot already. Planned on 6 but we will wait until Friday...

so tired of this weather!!
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:53 am

I'm going to head to the gym to run on the treadmill after work. I can't bear the thought of running in this heat/humidity.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

JacSprat
Bill Crothers

Postby JacSprat » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:53 am

HCmD wrote:Ended up staying the night a mum's place as there was a power outtage in my 'hood from about 7:00pm to midnight ... :shock: :shock: It was getting really nasty by about 9:30pm or so, and without much sleep the past 24 hours was starting to feel it ... etc ....

Got up early and headed back home and got in a 9K steady run in the 'hoods ... It was already 23C+ 85% humidity at 6am this morning, but just needed to get out there and shake things up mentally, after what has gone on the past 36 hours ..... :?

Running is good for the head sometimes. Sorry about your woes Andy :(
Jacqui

------------------------

MyTraining

erinmcd
Bill Crothers

Postby erinmcd » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:58 am

I'm sensing a theme in this thread.......

Rest day for me today. May head to the lake again this evening- so much cooler there. Have a good day all!
Keep on rolling, just a mile to go. Keep on rolling my old buddy, you're moving much too slow.

Scotty
Bill Crothers

Postby Scotty » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:04 am

Run missed this morning. Will do it much later...if it cools a bit.
For me life is continuously being hungry. The meaning of life is not simply to exist, to survive, but to move ahead, to go up, to achieve, to conquer.
~Arnold Schwarzenegger

"Everybody pities the weak; jealousy, you have to earn."

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:10 am

12K very early to beat the heat! It wasn't too bad. I actually think I might be acclimatizing to this weather somewhat.

Managed to keep at my usual steady run pace at just under 5:50 m/k. No way would I be able to do this in the heat that is to come later though!

Forecast for this weekend's 10 miler is somewhat cooler and sunny! :D

Lisa
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

ceileigh
Bill Crothers

Postby ceileigh » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:19 am

Today is a rest day for me and I'm glad. The heat and humidity is not good for me. BUT I have 2 scheduled agility classes with my dogs so should be out on the agility fields from 10AM - noon. My class is about an hour from here so I have contacted them to see if, by chance, they are under cloud cover. If not I think I will bail. I hate to lose the money but my health and the health of my dogs has to be first. My body just does not send out warnings that it is overheating until it is too late so I have to be pro active in this type of weather!

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:24 am

It's a warm one in Halifax too. I'll go to the gym at lunch. Then visiting my great-nephew after work.
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

Run26.2
Jerome Drayton

Postby Run26.2 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:26 am

10.25km done this morn'...fightin' the brutal heat like everybody else...couldn't believe how hot it was so early in the morning....
"...twenty miles of hope, six miles of truth..."
21 marathons since 2001......up next, CND Army half-marathon in Sept. and Toronto Waterfront marathon in Oct.

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:35 am

Another hot, steamy day...100% relative humidity early on. Will do a short group run tonight from one of the guy's houses, loop back via DQ and then a dip in his pool.
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

runlolarun
Tom Longboat

Postby runlolarun » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:59 am

Back from an 8.5K personal sauna excursion. I road tested my new toy - I caved and bought a Garmin 305 yesterday, now that
the price is so low. There will be a few runs of trying to figure it all out I think. Stay cool everybody.
"Why, sometimes I have believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast".
Lewis Carroll

blank
Bill Crothers

Postby blank » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:06 am

Run26.2 wrote:10.25km done this morn'...fightin' the brutal heat like everybody else...couldn't believe how hot it was so early in the morning....

+1

11K done starting at 6:00 am and it was already awful out there..........felt like I was running in a warm sponge. :(

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:10 am

Another sucker for punishment.
7km along the canal done. The humidex was already 32 at 6:30am.
I drank a LOT of water and am still doing so!

Good practice for Florida at least.
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:04 am

A cool 13C and sunny this morning in Saskatoon after another thunderstorm last night. We are feeling very soggy around these parts. Supposed to be nice the rest of the week. So far we haven't had much summer.

10 k including 5 k tempo @4:34, felt pretty good. Going to try a 10 k "race" this weekend and try to get a better handle on where I'm at.

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:16 am

La wrote:I'm going to head to the gym to run on the treadmill after work. I can't bear the thought of running in this heat/humidity.

La, make sure you still come to the pub! I found out after you left last night that it's Kim's b-day today! She asked me if I'd make cupcakes and how could I say no??!
So, yeah, runpub tonight- I'm going to attempt a tempo run! :shock: Right now, I'm heading to the pool to put in some good work laying out and reading.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:19 am

JacSprat wrote:
HCmD wrote:Ended up staying the night a mum's place as there was a power outtage in my 'hood from about 7:00pm to midnight ... :shock: :shock: It was getting really nasty by about 9:30pm or so, and without much sleep the past 24 hours was starting to feel it ... etc ....

Running is good for the head sometimes. Sorry about your woes Andy :(

+1 :(

A nice (hot) and sticky walk to work... Looking forward to Friday! Weekend, are you here yet?
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

AirForceRunner
Bill Crothers

Postby AirForceRunner » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:20 am

Another 9 km planned for lunch today in the sick heat (low 40's humidex). If I don't update my log by 2 pm, someone call 911. :lol: :lol:

On a side note, looked forward to jumping in the pool after work yesterday to cool off. I jumped in and knew I was wet, but no relief was to be found....the water was a less than frigid 94 degrees. Ugh!!
http://www.itsmyrun.com/?display=myrace ... orceRunner

2011 Wishlist
Sulphur Springs 50 miler
Dirty Girls 12 hr night run
Haliburton 100 miler (gulp!)

"Try the meditation of the trail, just walk along looking at the trail at your feet and don't look about and just fall into a trance as the ground zips by..."
-Jack Kerouac

"I am no longer a runner, I am now a father who runs. I will let the running come to me and I will make the most of every km I am fortunate enough to receive."
-Smack

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:26 am

Nick wrote:loop back via DQ and then a dip in his pool.

now that is how it's done! :)

for me today: rest, fuel, hydrate for tomorrow!
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:14 am

change of plans last night - I didn't get to the pool and decided that I could take another rest day if i wanted to damnit. so I did - and took the dogs out for a good 45min walk last night instead.

went to boot camp this morning - and it was good - def felt my legs/calves when doing the warm up set of stairs. I had missed the class earlier in the session where the 'group goal' was set, but it was chin ups and push ups. So today, as a final thing we had to do the final test - I shocked myself when I did 10 chinups assisted, and then pushups, I did 25 from my toes!

After work - either I'll swim or I'll bike - bike is dependent if I hear from a friend to ride (and if I don't, I won't be too upset - there's some sore spots that ain't my legs from Sun).
Race Hard. Race Happy.

Return to “General Running Discussion”