Thursday thread

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Re: Thursday thread

Postby Avis » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:06 pm

Here's my first "thread " entry, before I go out and pick tomatoes. Did my 30 minutes continuous, and feel great not tired. Can't ALWAYS do the 30 minutes, just yet. About 1 out of 3 times. Tuesday I ran 50 minutes, but the last half had some walking in it. Still, any kind of 50 minutes is another first for me!

Am enjoying running more and more, and find I'm actually not exhausted for the rest of the day, after I run; :wink; covering more distance in the 30 minutes, too.
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:33 pm

13K recovery run on trails with 6x30s at 5K pace. Gorgeous day for an easy run.

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:59 pm

Easy 10K on the bike paths after work. Was able to pick it up for the last few K but I'm still tired.....

And, red wine, please, Carla.
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

JacSprat
Bill Crothers

Postby JacSprat » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:38 pm

Bit over 5k at lunch on Tuesday and today. 26k on the bike Monday and yesterday. Tomorrow and Saturday is kayaking. Then early Sunday I head for San Fran for the rest of the week for work. I certainly hope to get out for a couple of runs there and if the hotel has a gym with a bike I'll try to get on that as well because I'd really like to at least maintain the bike fitness that's coming back.

What's going on in Banff anyway? :wink:
Jacqui

------------------------
MyTraining

BaldGuy
Jerome Drayton

Postby BaldGuy » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:42 pm

Rest day for me, but I promised to meet LittleBG (she's now 7 years old and in Grade 2!) for some cross-country practice. They didn't have a practice this morning because of picture day, so I told her we'd do a run after school.

I've been watching practices in the morning, and she and her friends have a tendency to run really hard for about 100 metres, then walk the rest of the way around the loop, running sporadically for 10 metres at a time. I wanted to see how far she could go if she spaced out her walk breaks some. 5 laps of the schoolyard is around 1km, so the plan was to do 60 seconds of running, 30 seconds of walking, until 5 laps were done. She took to it like a duck to water. Had a great time. Wound up running 2 km and walking another 800 metres after that. One of her teammates joined us as well.

I met her phys-ed teacher at the school tonight and volunteered to help with cross country practices in the morning. Not sure what I can do but encourage them, but I'm going to be there watching anyway.

Very, VERY proud of my little girl. Watching her and her friend running together in perfect tandem and looking like they could run forever ... priceless.
BG

ChrisL
Jerome Drayton

Postby ChrisL » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:47 pm

10km tempo before the rain.
Faster, stronger, meaner....Arrgh, matey!

If you are not first, you're last - Reese Bobby

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:11 pm

had a nice day with my mom. we took sammy for a walk down in the seymour river valley, then brought him home and spent the afternoon at the aquarium (I'd never been... now I want a jelly fish). Then we had dinner at a restaurant in stanley park, yummy food!

now a nap before work tonight.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:31 pm

8 1/2 K tonight in town with Tuzo at a 4:48 pace. I think that might be his fastest run while leashed. Of course the first third had lots of pauses...
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

marymac442
Jerome Drayton

Postby marymac442 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:58 pm

6km at 5:50/km pace.

Great run for a change. My lungs have been bugging me off and on for the past 6 weeks (fighting cold?), I remembered to take a shot of ventolin before tonights run and I felt great. The gals were complaining about me pushing the pace - of course our route was mostly downhill with regular traffic light breaks but it was definitely quicker than usual.

I was inspired by the 100/100 thread so I even got off the couch last night and dragged myself down to the weight room and pool for a 30 minute workout. Just 98 days to go. :dance: :dance:

Marymac442
Bonsor Breakfast Club
"It's All About the Food

2019 plans - Sun Run Clinic (as usual), make it past tax season with sanity intact, start training, Chicago Marathon !!!

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Thursday thread

Postby turd ferguson » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:28 am

8-ish k with bruyere. Hopefully she'll chime in with our pace (which was pretty good)
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

bruyere
Abby Hoffman

Postby bruyere » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:31 am

turd ferguson wrote:8-ish k with bruyere. Hopefully she'll chime in with our pace (which was pretty good)

Tough to say!

Garmin says we did 7.69km but it also says our first km was 6:41. Then: 5:16, 5;06, 5:42*, 5:08, 5:07, 5:05, and 4:48 (that's min/km even though that last wasn't a full km).

*That was when I had to walk due to the chocolate lava souffle in my tummy!!

Overall, we were fairly consistent! Thanks for the run.
"I was thinking of you yesterday as I was running through the woods. As I jumped over a fallen tree I said "If I were [bruyere], I'd be bleeding by now"." - Turd Ferguson

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:54 am

Managed to get in 7 k @5:12 in a hectic night involving 4 different things happening with our family within the same half hour.

Return to “General Running Discussion”