Toronto Expos - Do you like them held at the CNE Grounds ?

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

cbaker1
Tom Longboat

Postby cbaker1 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:47 pm

As the second marathon of the year is upon us in Toronto, I had to travel yet again on a Friday after work from downtown to the CNE grounds to pick up my race kit. I am not a fan of this as the expo venue, but wanted to know what everyone else thinks. My thoughts below.

Pros
More space for vendors.
Easier parking
Free shuttle offered by this weekends race from Hilton to the expo and back

Cons
Not near hotels. Out of towners forced to spend time figuring out where to catch a bus or if they didnt see the note that free shuttles were offered, spend taxi or streetcar fare to pick up the race kit.
Waste of an hour to get to the expo and back to downtown for tourists and people working downtown. (Unless you drive or taxi. Streetcars are slower and bus service runs on the 1/2 hour.)
Space too big for this weekends marathon expo, but for some reason they still made aisleways small to give the appearance the expo was busy

Overall I think Scotia's expo was better. It was bigger and more selection with guest speakers as well. You could actually spend a bit of time looking around and listen to the speakers. Make an hour or so out of it if you wanted and it seemed to have a better atmosphere.
Tonight, since I didnt need any clothing or shoes I was in and out in about 10 minutes. It didnt seem lively or energetic. I think they should have continued to run it from the hotel spaces like they have in the past.

Just my two cents.

getfit
Jerome Drayton

Re: Toronto Expos - Do you like them held at the CNE Grounds ?

Postby getfit » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:29 pm

I wasn't a fan of the Ex either, but then again, it would have been even worse had it been downtown. I live in Burlington, so it was a pain driving in just to pick-up my race kit on Friday. I told a few of my non-runner friends what I was doing and they couldn't believe that the race kit wasn't mailed, especially considering I paid $96.00 for the 1/2 marathon. I realize as a runner that mailing 20,000 race kits would be way too expensive, so I guess I'll have to live with the inconvenience of driving in to p/u my race kit.
"I'm not sufficiently organized or ambitious to do all the things you're supposed to do if you're serious. The more time you spend fiddlediddling with this and that, the less time there is to run." ED WHITLOCK

rambo999
Johnny Miles

Postby rambo999 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:09 pm

How does the shirt look for the Marathon runners? :D

Killerz
Tom Longboat

Postby Killerz » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:27 pm

Agree that expo was much poorer than the Scotia effort.... While there were some bargains etc, there was nothing other than stalls selling things. Didnt see any speakers, no pasta stations etc... all not absolutely necessary, but encourages people to hang around for a bit longer and soak up the pre-race atmosphere.

As for having it in CNE, it isnt ideal. Downtown would be far more convenient I think, but then again some mayoral candidate or otherwise will complain that a marathon is holding toronto traffic hostage again. Can't win.

Jogger Barbie
Bill Crothers

Postby Jogger Barbie » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:50 pm

Don't like the Exhibition venue at all. A complete nuisance to get to and IMHO the actual expo (for Scotiabank) was not noticeably better than it was at the convention centre. Since the Goodlife expo used to be downtown, and I work downtown, I would make a point of going just to shop and check out the advertised races and such, even though I've never actually done the race. No way I'm doing that if it means getting out to the Ex again on a Friday after work.
Jacqueline
--------------
19 marathons (3:24:56), 9 30 km ATBs (2:21:33), 2 Midsummer 30 km (2:22:07), 15 half marathons (1:33:53), 5 10 Ks (44:17), 1 5K (22:59), 1 50 K (4:29:22)
2015: London :)
2016: Boston, followed by injury rehab and then ???

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:20 am

It may simply be an issue of cost. It would be cheaper to rent the space at the Direct Energy Centre than at the Metro Convention Centre or perhaps Sheraton.
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

Jogger Barbie
Bill Crothers

Postby Jogger Barbie » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:02 pm

canalrunner wrote:It would be cheaper to rent the space at the Direct Energy Centre than at the Metro Convention Centre or perhaps Sheraton.

I wondered about that. But the cost of the shuttle buses must be pretty high so I wonder how much is actually being saved by changing locations.
Jacqueline
--------------
19 marathons (3:24:56), 9 30 km ATBs (2:21:33), 2 Midsummer 30 km (2:22:07), 15 half marathons (1:33:53), 5 10 Ks (44:17), 1 5K (22:59), 1 50 K (4:29:22)

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:04 pm

Not a big fan. Didn't like having to pay $6 for parking, and used to be able to walk to it from my office... now can't.

I did like getting a 2008 shirt for $5, though. :) Mine is stained and beat up, $5 for a fresh one was nice. :)

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:37 pm

jonovision_man wrote:Not a big fan. Didn't like having to pay $6 for parking, and used to be able to walk to it from my office... now can't.

I did like getting a 2008 shirt for $5, though. :) Mine is stained and beat up, $5 for a fresh one was nice. :)

jono

$6? where did you park? at our lot, it was a flat rate of $13 (we didn't pay it, risked the ticket).

i was strongly considering the 2005 shirt for $5. it's one of my favourite race shirts!!

as someone coming from burlington, it's actually easier to get to the CNE than to somewhere in downtown toronto. i could see it being a pain if you were in town for the race and had to take a shuttle, but i'm used to that with NCM.

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:29 pm

deerdree wrote:$6? where did you park? at our lot, it was a flat rate of $13 (we didn't pay it, risked the ticket).

You mean I got a deal? :)

I followed the signs that said "Goodlife Marathon Parking" which took me to the underground parking under the expo halls... I told the lady I was there for the marathon and she charged me $6.

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

lim314159
Johnny Miles

Postby lim314159 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:02 pm

Not convenient. In the same location as the Toronto Waterfront race -- one would think they want to distance themselves. More physical space so not as crowded -- but not enough exhibiters as the entire hall was not used. I was thirsty and there were no free samples (e.g., OASIS juice). Yeah -- not as exciting as the Toronto Waterfront expo. I did find it organized.

I'm not sure why I selected Large size tech shirt when registering -- a few years ago, I selected Small :roll: The Large did fit -- I was not allowed again this year to change. Maybe there will be extra tech shirts tomorrow after the race and they're selling it for $5. Amazing they advertise it as a $45 value on their web site.

Have a great race everyone!

phorunner
Bruce Kidd

Postby phorunner » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:44 pm

I kinda chuckled when it was in the EXACT same room as the scotia one a few weeks earlier.

To be honest, location was ok. I came from North of th city, parked at yorkdale and then tooke the sbway to the shuttle (and made a day out of being in the city).

If anything - I kinda wish they were bigger. I've been to other expos and trade shows that made those look tiny. Especially Goodlife's.

2012 Bread and Honey 5k: 27:30
2012 Harry Rosen 8k: 45:20
2012 SL10k: 52:55
2013 Army Run: 1:58:49
2011 Midsummer's Night Run 15k: 1:35:17
2013 ATB 30k - Coming up!
2011 Scotia TWM Full: UGH! I'll post my next one

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:00 am

furunner wrote:If anything - I kinda wish they were bigger. I've been to other expos and trade shows that made those look tiny. Especially Goodlife's.

Agreed. I'm a bit surprised they aren't bigger... guaranteed audience of thousands, all in a pretty specific demographic (runners!). Not sure what they charge for a booth but maybe it's too steep, or maybe they aren't aggressive enough finding vendors?

jono
Visit my blog!

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:21 am

After the comments, I was pleasantly surprised by the Expo. It is afterall a smaller marathon with less corporate sponsorship than Scotia so although I wasn't expecting a PEC size expo, I wasn't expecting New York either. My highlights were: met and got a photo with Bill Rodgers, saw Katherine Switzer, chatted with Rick Ball--always a super guy, chatted with the psych team to get focused, got tons of free samples in the bag (I come from Ottawa: land of big expo and no swag, had a FREE 10 minute massage, loaded up with tons of Gatorade prep and post drinks (my bag ripped!!), and got a good deal on winter running pants. Not sure they could have done anything else for me--except wash the car or free tickets to the soccer game. I came with a friend so the $6 parking was really $3 each. Likely would have paid more for parking downtown. Only wished I had stayed for the Toronto FC game--it looked like fun.
2016 Races

Annelizabeth
Bruce Kidd

Postby Annelizabeth » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:15 am

So I didn't run anything but I went to the expo. Was at a TFC game early so ran over.Got
-free toronto star
-Gadorade crap
-Bought some powerbar things..bought so many they threw in a shirt.
-Magazine subscription plus current issue for $15

Honestly I expected more for a big city race... nad they could have spred things out a bit..overall a very enjoyable unexpected 15min.

Terrific Whatzit
Johnny Miles

Postby Terrific Whatzit » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:17 pm

getfit wrote:.... my non-runner friends what I was doing and they couldn't believe that the race kit wasn't mailed, especially considering I paid $96.00 for the 1/2 marathon. I realize as a runner that mailing 20,000 race kits would be way too expensive....

Here's a question for everyone:
If race organizers offered an option where for $15 they'd mail you the race kit, would you go for it?

I imagine the organizers could make a bit more money by including free samples & flyers when they ship them.

Expo attendance would dip but probably not on a 1-to-1 basis. Fewer people would just stop having friends pick up their kits for them.
-- Ed

==== Next up: ============================
ATB 30k
Boston 5k
Tim Horton Dutchie

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:42 pm

Terrific Whatzit wrote:
getfit wrote:.... my non-runner friends what I was doing and they couldn't believe that the race kit wasn't mailed, especially considering I paid $96.00 for the 1/2 marathon. I realize as a runner that mailing 20,000 race kits would be way too expensive....

Here's a question for everyone:
If race organizers offered an option where for $15 they'd mail you the race kit, would you go for it?

I imagine the organizers could make a bit more money by including free samples & flyers when they ship them.

Expo attendance would dip but probably not on a 1-to-1 basis. Fewer people would just stop having friends pick up their kits for them.

when did you change your username? :lol: :)

hmmm. good question. probably. like getfit, i'm coming from burlington... so the drive in yesterday about probably about 50+ minutes each way with the TFC traffic, construction and accidents. it's about $15 of gas to get to (and from) toronto plus the cost of parking. $16 each to take the GO train. if i were going in just to get the race kit, $15 to mail it would be a comparative bargain and huge time-savings. that said, i went yesterday just to bum around the expo and look for bargains, i wasn't even picking up a race kit. :) mailing would be a nice option, but i'm not sure i would always choose it.

re: the size of the expo. i was expecting a few more stores. aside from the RR, there were only 2 running stores there that i saw. i'm used to the ATB expo, which usually has quite a few more and i think more bargains as a result (eg, there was only one place even selling asics!). of course, i'm also used to the road2hope/hamilton pick-up which is a desert in comparison.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:25 pm

Two words: GO Train! Seriously, it's one stop from Union and takes less than 8 minutes. I don't know why more people don't think of taking the GO to the CNE grounds.

ETA: when I saw the title of this post I was thinking it had something to do with bringing the (Montreal) Expos back from Washington (Nationals) to Toronto to play at the CNE. :lol:
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

cbaker1
Tom Longboat

Postby cbaker1 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:36 pm

Go Train is only a good idea if you already use the Lakeshore line. If you are not a regular go train rider to the Ex stop, you can line up to buy a ticket and it takes 10-15 minutes after work on a Friday and then you have to wait for the train as well. If you aren't on the Lakeshore ride for your normal commute you have to travel back to Union and get back on your regular train. If you choose to go on your lunch hour on the Friday, it will take over 1 hour since you trains only run once an hour outside of rush hour. I wont even mention the cost of a Go Train ticket. If you are a tourist and not familiar with the GTA transit systems, I know when I travel to another city for a race the last thing I want to do is try to figure out my way around the city. In Belfast, I spent about $60 on a taxi ride to find the expo. There may have been a cheaper way, but I am not going to spend my holiday looking for the best transit alternative. I know I will not run Belfast again, and the only reason is because of the way they spread out the expo from the start and finish lines.

I am a subway rider to Royal York station and although you would think taking the streetcar up Bathurst to the station and then across to Royal York would be quicker than my normal evening commute from St. George to Royal York however the street car is slow. Added 20 minutes to my commute.

I wish both expos would consider the move back to the downtown core.

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:20 pm

They also offered race morning pick-up for people from out of town. Pretty nice option. Imagine Burlington would be considered out of town.
2016 Races

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:44 pm

canalrunner wrote:They also offered race morning pick-up for people from out of town. Pretty nice option. Imagine Burlington would be considered out of town.

i can't remember which one it was, but burlington definitely wasn't considered out of town for one of the toronto races. i forget how they defined "out of town". but i guess the trick would be to not ask in advance. :wink:

Cupcake Girl
Bruce Kidd

Postby Cupcake Girl » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:59 pm

The DoubleBellybuster and I went on the Saturday just to look around and scoop deals. The location worked out perfectly for us as the bike show was right next door.

Loved the free Gatorade stuff and I met the foot doctor guy who confirmed all of my suspicions about my continual injuries - poorly made orthodics. So I have an appointment with him in a couple of weeks.

Also loved the deal on compression calf sleeves - $20 each. Can't beat that.

We paid $13 for parking - total rip off. But someone bought our ticket for $5 when we left, so really only $8, but still too much.

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:06 pm

Cupcake Girl wrote:The DoubleBellybuster and I went on the Saturday just to look around and scoop deals. The location worked out perfectly for us as the bike show was right next door.

Loved the free Gatorade stuff and I met the foot doctor guy who confirmed all of my suspicions about my continual injuries - poorly made orthodics. So I have an appointment with him in a couple of weeks.

Also loved the deal on compression calf sleeves - $20 each. Can't beat that.

We paid $13 for parking - total rip off. But someone bought our ticket for $5 when we left, so really only $8, but still too much.

i saw the booth but didn't stop because at the hamilton marathon the compression stuff was $$$$$. you're right, can't beat that!!

how was the bike show?

Jogger Barbie
Bill Crothers

Postby Jogger Barbie » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:24 pm

deerdree wrote:re: the size of the expo. i was expecting a few more stores. aside from the RR, there were only 2 running stores there that i saw. i'm used to the ATB expo, which usually has quite a few more and i think more bargains as a result (eg, there was only one place even selling asics!). of course, i'm also used to the road2hope/hamilton pick-up which is a desert in comparison.

The ATB expo is big and I have got at least one great deal there every year - even showing up on Saturday afternoon when presumably stuff has already been picked over. First time visit to Road2Hope expo in less than three weeks :)
Jacqueline
--------------

Terrific Whatzit
Johnny Miles

Postby Terrific Whatzit » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:00 pm

deerdree wrote:when did you change your username? :lol: :)

I changed it about a week ago. I've had the odd time where someone at a meet confused me with Tortoise so it's been something I'd been pondering.

Of course, most people just call me Mr. Jogger Barbie anyway but..... :)
-- Ed

==== Next up: ============================
ATB 30k
Boston 5k
Tim Horton Dutchie

Return to “General Running Discussion”