Boston Registration HELP!

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Re: Boston Registration HELP!

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:53 pm

La wrote: ...I think what Jennifer is saying is that the cost of traveling to Boston is no greater than to any other city where people might want to run.

Boston is a lot more than Ottawa!!

(omg, I had to check my medal to get that spelling right!)
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:55 pm

ultra monk wrote:(omg, I had to check my medal to get that spelling right!)

:lol:

(that's okay - i've been writing "cincinnati" in the NET today and had to look it up almost every time!)

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:58 pm

ultra monk wrote:
La wrote: ...I think what Jennifer is saying is that the cost of traveling to Boston is no greater than to any other city where people might want to run.

Boston is a lot more than Ottawa!!

(omg, I had to check my medal to get that spelling right!)

But it doesnt have to be.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:05 pm

Jogger Barbie wrote: - change the qualifying period; i.e.: start it later or end it earlier. Maybe registration opens in December and includes qualifying races run in the 15 months prior to registration date (e.g.: for 2012 this would mean September 2010 to November 2011.

A variation on this would be that you'd have to run a qualifying race in a 12-month period (rather than the current 18 months).

Jogger Barbie wrote: - allow only one Boston per qualifying race; e.g.: you couldn't use a Fall 2010 marathon for both 2011 and 2012.

Agree. Once you've "used" your qualifying race, you shouldn't be able to re-use it for a second year.

Jogger Barbie wrote:- tie qualification to age on the date of the qualifying race, not age on the date of the Boston marathon

Agree.

Jogger Barbie wrote:- eliminate the 0:59 that's actually added to all of the qualifying times

Agree, though I don't know that it would disqualify that many people. And there are stories from the past where people were a few seconds (Doonst) OVER the qualifying time, yet they were still accepted into the race.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:14 pm

Jwolf wrote:Ah- so they might change 2012 times too? I was hoping not, but we shall see. :)

I'm another hoping not.
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:36 pm

La wrote:
Jogger Barbie wrote:- eliminate the 0:59 that's actually added to all of the qualifying times

Agree, though I don't know that it would disqualify that many people. And there are stories from the past where people were a few seconds OVER qualifying time {that is, into the next minute beyond the 59 seconds grace], yet they were still accepted into the race.

Interesting that this was only an option if you printed out your registration form and sent it by snail mail. Now that option (not an official option but it was often done) is not available as the race registration filled up on-line.

Personally I hope they don't do any of those things in JB's list. It would simply make the rules more confusing, and none would change the numbers enough anyway, I don't think, so it would just delay the inevitable qual time changes. Changing the qualifying window would be only a temporary fix (and essentially that's already been done by the early fill-up), and only allowing one Boston per BQ marathon wouldn't affect a huge number of people (many people already have multiple qualifiers). And there HAS been talk about allowing people who have done X-number of Boston Marathons to enter without qualifying. As for changing the age of qualifying vs. age of running-- that would perhaps have the biggest effect, but it seems simpler to just tighten the standards.

Reducing the number of fund-raising and community entries is always a possibility, but not likely (and "another whole can of worms" discussion).
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:58 pm

One thing which interests me about the hypothetical possibility of stricter qualifying times is the tension between:
(1) Removing the large portion of the Boston field (if I had to guess, I'd say almost half) who hit their BQ time by less than 5 (or 10) minutes, and
(2) Encouraging an even larger pool of Boston-eligible runners, many of whom might have done the race previously, to come back under the "new rules".

jemez
Johnny Miles

Postby jemez » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:18 pm

One of the big reasons I registered at 9AM was that it seems like they're really likely to make the times tougher for 2012, and I figure even 5 mins faster and I wouldn't be able to qualify. 2011 is going to be my 1st (and only) Boston, I didn't want to miss it. The crush next year will be insane if they leave the times as they are.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:42 pm

La wrote:I think what Jennifer is saying is that the cost of traveling to Boston is no greater than to any other city where people might want to run.

but it IS more expensive if hotels are doubling/tripling their prices...
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:48 pm

ultraslacker wrote:
La wrote:I think what Jennifer is saying is that the cost of traveling to Boston is no greater than to any other city where people might want to run.

These are just the downtown touristy hotels though- there are many other options.

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:49 pm

ultraslacker wrote:

FWIW, my experience has been that as far as prices go for a big destination marathon, NYC > Boston > Chicago.

daddy_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby daddy_runner » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:58 pm

Well, my plan to "get close to a BQ" next year has pretty much been thwarted before it even got off the ground. Maybe I should take up joggling?
Plan for 2017:
END-SURE 25k...done! 2:30:23
Spruce Woods Ultra volunteering...done!
Kettle Moraine 100
Western States 100 crewing
Falcon Fatass 50k
Superior 100

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:59 pm

Doonst wrote:I'm starting the rumour that they're moving the Boston Marathon to New York City and increasing the number of runners to 50,000.

I think I heard that somewhere.

I also heard they are going to start requiring iPods, and will be forcibly tattooing finishers with the race logo. I, for one, don't agree with that last part... but what are you going to do? It's the BAA's world and we're just jogging in it.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:02 am

:lol:
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

tj
Johnny Miles

Postby tj » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:20 am

what a disaster that was this morning... web link problems, 1 day fill up during work hours, talk of change in rules for next year, -- this all leaves a bad taste in my mouth and I'm not as excited about running this race. to top it off I missed a flight after trying to repeatedly register on the bogus link redirect on the baa site

the only silver lining is that I have memorized my credit card number and security code after typing it over and over again for 1 hour

SteveF
Bill Crothers

Postby SteveF » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:10 am

tj wrote:the only silver lining is that I have memorized my credit card number and security code after typing it over and over again for 1 hour

Ha , me too!

What's this bogus link you guys are talking about. I just clicked on the big "register" button on the BAA site.

tj
Johnny Miles

Postby tj » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:34 am

SteveF wrote:
tj wrote:the only silver lining is that I have memorized my credit card number and security code after typing it over and over again for 1 hour

Ha , me too!

What's this bogus link you guys are talking about. I just clicked on the big "register" button on the BAA site.

The link that the baa site redirected you to was faulty which resulted in the the form clearing and resetting when you hit submit. I only got registered after using the corrected address that was posted on the RW forums (which Frankis also referred to in earlier in this thread). I think baa got its act together and fixed the faulty link later in the morning.

kaybee
Johnny Miles

Postby kaybee » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:27 am

Thankfully, I got in and so did my husband.

This is in the Boston Globe today:

"Qualifiers who mailed paper registration forms, charity runners, and invitational entries eventually will bring the field to roughly 26,000."

I find this interesting. Does this mean that everyone who mailed a paper registration form (I can't imagine there would be too many) gets in? Maybe the way to go in the future - HAHA.

Full article is here: http://www.boston.com/sports/marathon/a ... rs/?page=1

Karen

LadyV
Bill Crothers

Postby LadyV » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:51 am

nd more signs of changes to come :dance:
From the same article:
"One answer to the overload problem is to make it more difficult to qualify. But that comes with its own set of concerns: keeping a reasonable balance between male and female entrants, and making sure hard-training recreational runners still have their shot at a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

Other options include narrowing the qualifying window and expanding the field, perhaps replacing the current two-wave start with three waves, and giving charity runners their own wave.

“The challenge for the BAA is to find the right mix of field size and qualifying times to allow as many as possible to run,’’ said Morse. “I’m not convinced tightening up the qualifying times alone is the answer. I would like to find a way to allow more qualifiers to enter. That would speak to the field size question, but we don’t want to increase the field and reduce the quality of the event in the process. In the way we’ve approached it and the way we’ve set it up, this event remains about quality, not quantity.’’

At the earliest, any changes to qualifying times or field size would go into effect for the 2012 Marathon. For now, the BAA and the lucky runners who successfully registered must prepare for the race in April."
"Don't have time for a run? Go for a run' (Marc Remy - RW)
www.itsmyrun.com

West Grey Runner
Bill Crothers

Postby West Grey Runner » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:42 am

Ian
(1) Removing the large portion of the Boston field (if I had to guess, I'd say almost half) who hit their BQ time by less than 5 (or 10) minutes

At the STWM I aimed for a 3:30 BQ , no faster or slower! Things came together rather nicely and I had no problem keeping pace. In the final 5K of the race I was holding back thinking “Enjoy the moment, everything is working and I feel great why make it hurt I only need a 3:30”. On that day I am sure that I had a 3:25 or maybe even a 3:20 in me but due to the desire to BQ I really held back. I am glad to have the BQ behind me now and am looking forward to running a Marathon with a more aggressive goal (Not Boston)!

I think a good solution to the problem is to tighten the qualifying times, start with 5 minutes less across the board incrementing on a yearly basis until the registration drops off.

mcshame
Sylvia Ruegger

Postby mcshame » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:45 am

So I guess if one was to race and BQ and then the qualifying times changed, you would have never really Boston Qualified. We all tend to say after a race, congrats on the BQ, but now, it's not necessarily a true statement or it will have to be a BQ*

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:56 am

mcshame wrote:So I guess if one was to race and BQ and then the qualifying times changed, you would have never really Boston Qualified. We all tend to say after a race, congrats on the BQ, but now, it's not necessarily a true statement or it will have to be a BQ*

Well, the BQ times could have theoretically changed every year- they just haven't for a while so we assume that for a future year they stay the same. Anyone trying for a 2011 BQ this year knew the times were fixed. But most people have known for a while that changes could come soon.

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:02 am

There is lots of speculation and suggestions as to what the BAA might do. Couldn't they for example, say in a couple of weeks that all races up to Dec 31 qualify at the current levels, but as of Jan 01 you must be 5 minutes faster? Sure it would be a bit lopsided, but would accommodate those who will run a qualifier next few weeks instead of yanking it away from them like on a roller coaster or teeter totter.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

LadyV
Bill Crothers

Postby LadyV » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:34 pm

Doonst wrote:There is lots of speculation and suggestions as to what the BAA might do. Couldn't they for example, say in a couple of weeks that all races up to Dec 31 qualify at the current levels, but as of Jan 01 you must be 5 minutes faster? Sure it would be a bit lopsided, but would accommodate those who will run a qualifier next few weeks instead of yanking it away from them like on a roller coaster or teeter totter.

I am sure they will do something like that - i think the BAA does have the runner (not the business) in mind when it is time to make some changes.

They may also announce a bunch of changes , some to be implemented in 2012 and some more in 2013...

Note: I don't know why i keep yaping on and on on this topic - I usually don't post so often :oops:
"Don't have time for a run? Go for a run' (Marc Remy - RW)
www.itsmyrun.com

Annelizabeth
Bruce Kidd

Postby Annelizabeth » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:00 pm

Dear God,

Please don't let the BAA make too many changes to qualifying before I have a sucessful chance to do so or let me run faster as I age.
Amen

Return to “General Running Discussion”