Is the Marathon too popular?

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

jamix
Bill Crothers

Postby jamix » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:50 am

So I was in Chapters Bookstore today looking for some good short-distance / sprinting running books, but all I could find was books for how to train for Marathons :evil:. Okay, there were some shorter distances too ( I think I saw Daniels book say it had programs for 800 meter races).

Anyways, my point is that I think marathons are becoming too popular. Why does everyone want to run one? Don't you just hate them for the post-race fatigue that its sure to give most of you? I know for me, if I ran a fast marathon, it would likely ruin the rest of my season.
2013 GOALS:

- Compete in the "Early Bird Sprint Triathlon" in May
- Run a 5km pb during the "Bushtukah Canada Day Road Race"
- Complete an Olympic distance triathlon
- Cycle > 33 km / hr during the cycle portion of a Sprint Triathlon.
- Stay healthy and happy

Races

April 28th: Manotick 10km (40:16)
May 18th: Ottawa Early Bird Sprint Triathlon (DNF)
June 8th: Riverkeeper SuperSprint (2nd overall)
July 1st: Bushtukah Canada Day 5km (18:37)

mcshame
Sylvia Ruegger

Postby mcshame » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:05 am

Nope, love the marathon to death. Good on everyone that wants to run one.

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Re: Is the Marathon too popular?

Postby Dr. S » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:10 am

I don't think it's an issue. The more the merrier. =)

I love love love the marathon distance. I was injured for 2 years and a half and my main goal had always been to be able to get back to the marathon distance.

I like to end the season with the marathon that way if you're tired you can take time for recovery.
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

fabrun
Percy Williams

Postby fabrun » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:31 am

No way, not too popular. I applaud everyone who does it!!

I ran my first half marathon this year and couldn't wait to sign up for the next one!! I have been running on and off for years and can't believe I waited. It was a completely positive, exhilarating and overall fantastic experience and no it didn't leave me exhausted. In fact, I have been training harder than ever before since running it and have signed up for another half in May 2011. The more people the better!!

jamix
Bill Crothers

Postby jamix » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:38 am

I wonder if this desire for long distances has something to do with the runners-high?
2013 GOALS:

- Stay healthy and happy

Races

PinkLady
Bill Crothers

Postby PinkLady » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:54 am

I don't think the marathon is too popular.....but I do think that the marathon is celebrated as the 'only' running goal worth achieving. Kind of like how a full Ironman is viewed by most as the pinnacle of that sport.

So people will end up viewing 5K/10K/HM's as steps to getting TO the marathon, as if short and middle distances weren't worthwhile endeavors all on their own. Ask any Joe Sixpack off the street, and he'd be much more impressed if you told him you ran a marathon, period, than if you broke 18 min on a 5K. IMO, the short distances are much more difficult to excel at. But, marathons are achievable for most people, and it makes it accessible to the masses, that is why they are popular. An 18min 5K? Not so much.

The problem comes in where people have no patience.....and don't train properly or respect the distance. There are too many 6 months to your first marathon type plans, for those who just want to check 'marathon' off their bucket list.

As far as I'm concerned, I will never, ever be fast.....fast for me, maybe, but I'll never be front of the pack. So, I will train long. And to answer your question, jamix, I am attracted to ultra distances, just speaking for myself. Probably nothing over a 12 hour race though. That's not for everybody, but that's okay - we're all different! For me, insane is running full-out for 5K until you hurl at the end.....for you it's running a 100km race. Again, I don't see why that's a bad thing.
Sandra...Air Force wife & Professional Kid Wrangler...I knit to stay sane, I run to eat!
2012 - year of perseverance, endurance, survival, and earning blackmail material for life. :D
My running log: http://www.runningmania.com/forum/viewt ... 18&t=44092

PB's:
Army Run HM (Sep 18, 2011) - 1:55:14

jamix
Bill Crothers

Postby jamix » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:58 am

PinkLady wrote:I don't think the marathon is too popular.....but I do think that the marathon is celebrated as the 'only' running goal worth achieving. Kind of like how a full Ironman is viewed by most as the pinnacle of that sport.

So people will end up viewing 5K/10K/HM's as steps to getting TO the marathon, as if short and middle distances weren't worthwhile endeavors all on their own. Ask any Joe Sixpack off the street, and he'd be much more impressed if you told him you ran a marathon, period, than if you broke 18 min on a 5K. IMO, the short distances are much more difficult to excel at. But, marathons are achievable for most people, and it makes it accessible to the masses, that is why they are popular. An 18min 5K? Not so much.

Thats sounds like a very reasonable explanation. When I did the Marathon at age 15, it was announced over the PA at my high school by my cross-country coach.
2013 GOALS:

- Stay healthy and happy

Races

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:59 pm

I wonder whether the answer is 'yes' even though I have run 22 of them.
I wonder when people seem to apologize for ONLY running a half or a 10k--it is all good
I wonder when the morning after a marathon, I can't walk downstairs--give me the day after a half anytime
I wonder when people either run too fast or train too little and finsh through 15k death marches--hard to see the fun.

I don't know if the marathon is too popular, but it is clear that with rising rates of obesity, diabetes etc.. that regular physical exercise of any sort is not yet popular enough, so at some level I don't worry about whether the marathon is too popular. I'll take it.
Last edited by canalrunner on Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

West Grey Runner
Bill Crothers

Postby West Grey Runner » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:34 pm

YUP … just ask anyone trying to register for Boston this year!

BUT I THINK ITS GOOD FOR THE SPORT

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:40 pm

The half-marathon is becoming even more popular, and the biggest road race in Canada is actually a 10k. And there are many more 10k and 5k road races and fun runs. So they are all popular for different reasons.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

phorunner
Bruce Kidd

Postby phorunner » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:58 pm

PinkLady wrote:.... Ask any Joe Sixpack off the street, and he'd be much more impressed if you told him you ran a marathon, period, than if you broke 18 min on a 5K....

I don't think we should limit that to people "off the street".

At both Scotia and Goodlife, you'd be surprised how many people asked "Are you running the half or the full?" to which I'd usually just respond "Ummm...actually, the 5k...." then they'd say "Oh..." slightly disappointed. (eventually I gave up and just started saying "half" to avoid the awkward "oh" if I knew I'd never see them again)

and as for average people not respecting shorter distances, you'd be surprised (I know I was, and still sort of am) how many people say "Wow! You ran 5k? That's crazy!", or are reluctant to come for a practice run because they don't think they'll be able to last that long. Usually I look at them funny and say "It's really not that much, and you CAN take a walk break if you need it." at which point they usually insist that they'd probably barely make it 1k let alone 5 or 10. And some of these people are fit, they just don't run.

But agreed - most people think the Marathon is the big goal. It's the marquee distance. 5k's are 5k, 10k's are 10k, but 42.2k gets it's own special class - Marathon. By transitive property, a HM is only "Half" as impressive. (I know it's not, but that's probably how some people see it when setting goals. Semantically, it's a bad choice of title.)

In terms of popularity....I think overall, running is just getting more popular. I was watching BNN in the locker room last night, and they were talking about how Lulu, Nike and UnderArmor stocks are all doing well, largely due to improvements in technology, largely used by Runners in particular and that it's a growing market.

I got my own reason for signing up for Scotia 2011, but I'll let that unravel as it will...

And I have been thinking after Scotia 2011 of getting a few others under my belt and then maybe trying a run/bike duathlon or something. But I guess after that, the next "BIG" step would be an IronMan. See how the same train of thought applies...

2012 Bread and Honey 5k: 27:30
2012 Harry Rosen 8k: 45:20
2012 SL10k: 52:55
2013 Army Run: 1:58:49
2011 Midsummer's Night Run 15k: 1:35:17
2013 ATB 30k - Coming up!
2011 Scotia TWM Full: UGH! I'll post my next one

PinkLady
Bill Crothers

Postby PinkLady » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:20 pm

furunner wrote:I don't think we should limit that to people "off the street".

and as for average people not respecting shorter distances, you'd be surprised (I know I was, and still sort of am) how many people say "Wow! You ran 5k? That's crazy!", or are reluctant to come for a practice run because they don't think they'll be able to last that long. Usually I look at them funny and say "It's really not that much, and you CAN take a walk break if you need it." at which point they usually insist that they'd probably barely make it 1k let alone 5 or 10. And some of these people are fit, they just don't run.

I agree that even many runners don't respect the short distances for the challenges they can represent.

I don't really agree about your example about the average non-runner though. Don't you think that if you told that same person that you ran a half-marathon, or marathon, they'd be that much MORE impressed than saying you ran a 5K? 5K sounds like a lot, but a marathon is still MORE impressive to most people, as you noted in your race experience. (Oh, and even when people are fit, if you don't run - running is HARD!! And 5K for a new person to running is really far too much, I can understand why they were intimidated.)

I always say that, as a mere (slow) mortal, I can train to keep going....but I ain't gonna grow Donovan Bailey fibers anytime soon. I think for some reason people are impressed by sprinters, and they're impressed by distance runners, but 5K/10K/HM is less admired as a penultimate goal.

I also think that while the middle distances are very popular, they are popular because they are attainable for most people, not because they are the ultimate running goal. I would bet if you surveyed the 5K/10K/HM participants at your local marathon weekend, many if not the vast majority would say they hope to work up to marathon one day.
Sandra...Air Force wife & Professional Kid Wrangler...I knit to stay sane, I run to eat!
2012 - year of perseverance, endurance, survival, and earning blackmail material for life. :D

PB's:

phorunner
Bruce Kidd

Postby phorunner » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:34 pm

PinkLady wrote:
furunner wrote:I don't think we should limit that to people "off the street".

I agree that even many runners don't respect the short distances for the challenges they can represent.

I don't really agree about your example about the average non-runner though. Don't you think that if you told that same person that you ran a half-marathon, or marathon, they'd be that much MORE impressed than saying you ran a 5K? 5K sounds like a lot, but a marathon is still MORE impressive to most people, as you noted in your race experience. (Oh, and even when people are fit, if you don't run - running is HARD!! And 5K for a new person to running is really far too much, I can understand why they were intimidated.)

I always say that, as a mere (slow) mortal, I can train to keep going....but I ain't gonna grow Donovan Bailey fibers anytime soon. I think for some reason people are impressed by sprinters, and they're impressed by distance runners, but 5K/10K/HM is less admired as a penultimate goal.

I also think that while the middle distances are very popular, they are popular because they are attainable for most people, not because they are the ultimate running goal. I would bet if you surveyed the 5K/10K/HM participants at your local marathon weekend, many if not the vast majority would say they hope to work up to marathon one day.

Agreed. I was just trying to provide some contrast. In a lot of cases with non-runners, ANY distance is impressive, but obviously further is more impressive. The "Marathon" is the only one with it's own label. It has top of mind recognition. Whereas with runners, there's sort of an assumption that you're doing more than 5k or 10k - I notice that even at the local RR.

And, I still contend that if I can run 5k, anyone can. :D They just need to start small and work their way up (like everyone does). I'm not saying they're going to do it in 18 minutes, but it's doable (and should be doable for anyone who's relatively fit).

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:48 pm

At the most recent Saskatchewan Marathon, we had 196 in the full, 999 running the half and another 877 in the 10k, plus a few hundred in the various walking events. There are no other marathons run in Saskatoon, everything else is HM distance or less except for the 50k ultra held in the fall. So the marathon may be the marquee event but it's certainly not drawing the big numbers participation-wise. At least not locally.

In Regina, it's 3:1 for half-marathon to marathon, but that race has limited registration.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:49 pm

no, I wish more people would run marathons instead of ultras, so that I wouldn't have to worry about not being able to get into my favourite races. :P
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

PinkLady
Bill Crothers

Postby PinkLady » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:56 pm

furunner wrote:Agreed. I was just trying to provide some contrast. In a lot of cases with non-runners, ANY distance is impressive, but obviously further is more impressive. The "Marathon" is the only one with it's own label. It has top of mind recognition.

Except that for many Muggles, "Marathon" has no association with a specific distance. It just means "run really far for a long time". Which is why my mom keeps telling people her daughter did a marathon in September. :? :roll:

I also find non-runners seem to blank on you if you tell them you ran anything over 10K....to them, 14K and 24K might as well be the same.

ultraslacker wrote:no, I wish more people would run marathons instead of ultras, so that I wouldn't have to worry about not being able to get into my favourite races. :P

Me too, except that it's the 1/2 that keeps selling out first around here.....I wish more people would do the full at NCM so I can keep delaying registering, but the 1/2 sold out first last year, IIRC. I'm trying not to register for as long as I can so I don't jinx my injury recovery! (Well, that, and I'm broke.... :roll: )

PB's:

phorunner
Bruce Kidd

Postby phorunner » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:14 pm

PinkLady wrote:Except that for many Muggles, "Marathon" has no association with a specific distance. It just means "run really far for a long time". Which is why my mom keeps telling people her daughter did a marathon in September. :? :roll:

lol. true, but isn't that what it is really? ("run really far for a long time") I know it's 42.2k, but it seems less intimidating the way you said it. :D

It's like what I tell people in my group when I can tell they're at a mental hurdle "just keep running, we're almost there..." or "c'mon...another minute.." usually they just forget and keep running until I tell them to stop.
Last edited by phorunner on Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

monkey
Johnny Miles

Postby monkey » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:03 pm

PinkLady wrote:Except that for many Muggles, "Marathon" has no association with a specific distance. It just means "run really far for a long time". Which is why my mom keeps telling people her daughter did a marathon in September. :? :roll:

I also find non-runners seem to blank on you if you tell them you ran anything over 10K....to them, 14K and 24K might as well be the same.

"how far is this marathon you are running?" does that sound familiar? :)
except I couldn't believe someone at work who claimed "the last marathon I ran was Boston" asked me that question...
2011 races completed:
Resolution Run . Grimsby Half . The Game of Life 5k(PB) . Around the Bay 30k(PB) . MSH Legacy 5k(PB) . Sporting Life 10k(PB) . Mississauga Marathon(PB) . Oakridge Moraine Relay . Toronto 5k(PB) . Acura 10 Miler(PB) . Midsummer Night 30k(PB) . Wasaga Half(PB) . Oakville TurkeyRun 5k(PB) . Angus Glen Half(PB)

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:50 pm

ultraslacker wrote:no, I wish more people would run marathons instead of ultras, so that I wouldn't have to worry about not being able to get into my favourite races. :P

Well....your favorite race probably sells out with 250! :D

Vs 30,000 for road races.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:52 pm

ultra monk wrote:

Well....your favorite race probably sells out with 250! :D

Vs 30,000 for road races.

regardless, I don't like them selling out! lol

actually, White River doesn't sell out, which amazes me because it's such an awesome, well-run race. But chuckanut does, and so does powderface... and some others that I haven't run yet but want to!

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

mcshame
Sylvia Ruegger

Postby mcshame » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:09 pm

monkey wrote:

"how far is this marathon you are running?" does that sound familiar? :)
except I couldn't believe someone at work who claimed "the last marathon I ran was Boston" asked me that question...

At a dinner I was asked how long a marathon was. I thought they meant distance, so I told them and got a blank look. Then I said it was for me about 3h30m of continuous running and that they understood and were amazed. They couldn't fathom running for more than a couple of minutes at a time and it would have to be for a life threatening reason.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:13 pm

lol I get the same response when I tell people that my 50-miler took me 13.5 hours to do. Distance seems so abstract that people can't wrap their brains around it... but "13.5 hours" is much more concrete and easy to grasp! Then I tell them that the winner did it in 6.5 hours and they are amazed. lol

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:18 pm

ultraslacker wrote: regardless, I don't like them selling out! lol

actually, White River doesn't sell out, which amazes me because it's such an awesome, well-run race. But chuckanut does, and so does powderface... and some others that I haven't run yet but want to!

I read the description of White River... :shock: :shock:
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:32 pm

furunner wrote:
PinkLady wrote:.... Ask any Joe Sixpack off the street, and he'd be much more impressed if you told him you ran a marathon, period, than if you broke 18 min on a 5K....

I don't think we should limit that to people "off the street".

At both Scotia and Goodlife, you'd be surprised how many people asked "Are you running the half or the full?" to which I'd usually just respond "Ummm...actually, the 5k...." then they'd say "Oh..." slightly disappointed. (eventually I gave up and just started saying "half" to avoid the awkward "oh" if I knew I'd never see them again).

It's too bad people react this way about shorter distances. 5K and 10K road races have their own challenges and I find them way more enjoyable to race. If you enter 5K and 10K road races that aren't part of a marathon, you'd likely encounter a large range of runners that includes some very competitive people. And they won't look down their noses at you. :)

Although I do remember once when I was ready to race a 5K, and expressing to some runner-friends that I was a bit "nervous". One person said, "But you've done marathons-- a 5K should be easy for you." There's nothing easy about pushing as hard as you can for any distance.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:25 pm

I really don't care what non-runners (or even *some* other runners, for that matter) think about how far, how fast or how often I run. That's not why I do it. I don't choose my race distances based on what is going to be impressive or meaningful to anyone else.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Return to “General Running Discussion”