Boston Marathon qualifying articles

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

mcshame
Sylvia Ruegger

Re: Boston Marathon qualifying articles

Postby mcshame » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:22 pm

They said that they didn't want to take away the feeling when you crossed the line, that you knew you were going to Boston. Look at my picture, I WAS going to Boston.

Not anymore, now you'll never know. BQ is meaningless, it's a minimum standard. Now I'm pissed...I lost my BQ! Right now I don't care if it makes sense or not, I ran my "BQ" at the wrong bloody time.
Last edited by mcshame on Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:23 pm

mcshame wrote:The said that they didn't want to take away the feeling when you crossed the line, that you knew you were going to Boston. Look at my picture, I WAS going to Boston.

Not anymore, now you'll never know. BQ is meaningless, it's a minimum standard. Now I'm pissed...I lost my BQ! Right now I don't care if it makes sense or not, I ran my "BQ" at the wrong bloody time.

Yep,
You and me both Lorne. Time to change my avatar I think.

I really feel for you, way more than myself. My BQ was a happy surprise, yours was hard-trained and hard fought for.
I'm really going to cross my fingers that you get there..........
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:31 pm

Well,

I guess that's it for me.

You know, I'd kind of resolved myself to something like this.

I actually is fair, and clever!

In a way, I'm kind of glad. It takes the pressure off of me a bit.

Now to decide whether to actually run my marathon? Or switch to the half.

I think I'll probably give a sub 4 one more shot, and see how it goes.

Peace and answers at last!

Lisa
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:34 pm

greatstrides wrote:Does anyone know what percentage of this year's runners (or any past year) fell into each of the registration waves (-20 min, -10min, -5min)?

I was getting closer to qualifying and now it's further out of reach. One moment I was so looking forward to was running that last mile (or block, depending how close I was cutting it), knowing that I had finally qualified. Yelling, "I'm going to Boston!" was a dream of mine. Yeah, I had my heart set on qualifying. Now it seems unless you qualify with a huge margin, you won't know if you're in for a while.

I wonder if the 5 minute reduction in qualifying times will weed out enough people so that getting into the race is more of a sure thing? i.e. I ran my 3:32 and my qualifying time is 3:35, so I should get in.

Hugs to all who thought they were going to Boston and now aren't so sure.

I think you'd have to know the times of all the people who got shut out of registration this year as well....as they would get in first in 2012. I don't think there's any way to know how this will play out until registration is complete for 2012. I'm not convinced all the spots will get taken the 1st week with the times that are 5-20 minutes faster but who knows....

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:42 pm

Being a group 2 qualifier, I probably could get in. :twisted:

But I was only going chaperon r4l..... :shock: :lol:

I certainly have no intention of going to Boston by myself. :(

OH!!!! :D Maybe another trip to Canada instead! Maybe 2!

In summary, I'm glad I bought a pair of qualifier capris! :P
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:50 pm

I remember reading somewhere that 40 % or so of runnrs had qualified by 5 minutes or less. This year might be goofy but possibly get mostly sorted out by that fact in twentythirteen.

We'll always have '08!
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

LadyV
Bill Crothers

Postby LadyV » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:57 pm

I don't think people should count themselves out just yet
There are many things that we don't know.
First, we don't know how many people got "shut out" this year. Was it 100, 1,000?
Second, we really don't know how many people will get shut out in the new system. The BAA does not say how many slots will be available for each age group. To me, this means that even people who qualify with seconds to spare STILL HAVE a fair chance to get in...
Think positive - there is no reason to think you are out just yet! no one knows, this is a new system

I think it is a pretty good system and I truly believe that 85% to 90% of people who BQ will still get in!

That said, for me at least the new standard in 2013 will definitely keep me out...I don't think I can improve my time by 5 minutes.... :(
"Don't have time for a run? Go for a run' (Marc Remy - RW)
www.itsmyrun.com

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:59 pm

r4l wrote:And there goes my trip to Boston. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Look at all the $$ that you will be saving ?? :shifty: :wink:

I've always said that " .. you would never see me running Boston" ... but, it was not meant to be so literally ... :shifty: :? :lol: :wink: :oops:

And, I figured, I would have spent at least a $1,000 or so at the Expo with all the Boston Schwag, in addition to all the other costs of travelling (i.e. flight, hotel, race fees, meals, etc.) ... Which now can be put towards .. New York, New York, in 2013 ... :dance: :lol: :wink: :oops:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:00 pm

purdy65 wrote:Well,

I guess that's it for me.

You know, I'd kind of resolved myself to something like this.

I actually is fair, and clever!

In a way, I'm kind of glad. It takes the pressure off of me a bit.

Now to decide whether to actually run my marathon? Or switch to the half.

I think I'll probably give a sub 4 one more shot, and see how it goes.

Peace and answers at last!

Lisa

Why not just run your best? Who says it has to be a bq for you to try hard and be happy with yourself?

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:01 pm

HCcD wrote:
r4l wrote:And there goes my trip to Boston. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Look at all the $$ that you will be saving ?? :shifty: :wink:

I've always said that " .. you would never see me running Boston" ... but, it was not meant to be so literally ... :shifty: :? :lol: :wink: :oops:

And, I figured, I would have spent at least a $1,000 or so at the Expo with all the Boston Schwag, in addition to all the other costs of travelling (i.e. flight, hotel, race fees, meals, etc.) ... Which now can be put towards .. New York, New York, in 2013 ... :dance: :lol: :wink: :oops:

My point exactly!

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:02 pm

HiPerformanceSpirit wrote:OH!!!! :D Maybe another trip to Canada instead! Maybe 2!

:dance: :dance: :shifty:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Mid_Packer
Bruce Kidd

Postby Mid_Packer » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:16 pm

It now seems that fall marathons are only good for BQ about 18 months after the race. A few years ago you ran in the fall and if you met the BQ you ran in April. Of course all that changed the last 2 years when it sold out in 6 weeks and then 1 day. Now if you want to run in April you need run a spring marathon so that you can have a time for the entry in Sept. (ok so maybe a few marthons are before the Mid Sept cut off). But all of the other fall marathons are only good for ~18 months later. That's too bad because for many who are on the bubble and then have a PB day and meet the time, well instead of carrying that fitness for another 6 months into Boston, they won't get there for 18 months.

I think its fair that faster gets in first. My only alternative suggestion would have been to move the sign up window from Sept to mid Nov.

Dave
'10 ATB 2:27, Boston 3:43, Missga 3:42, Sulphur Spring 25k, Niagara 50, ITT,Toad 50, Marine Corp M,
09 Chilly 1:43; ATB 2:37, Boston 3:50, Missuga Mara 3:49, Run for Toad 25k 2:22, Oakville half 1:51, Detroit 3:45
'08 Chilly 1:42; ATB 2:31; Miss Mara 3:43, Westover, Erie (DNF), Detroit 3:36
'07 Chilly 1:45, Detroit 3:50
'92-93 Half 1:27; Detroit 3:10, Boston 3:56

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:41 pm

1) Glad they made a decision. Unleash the hounds.
2) Think if I was the Montreal Marathon I would consider moving my race to September 11. Looks like they just moved it back into the old Toronto Scotia timeslot at the end of September, but being the "last chance" BQ fall marathon has a certain appeal. The Queen City Marathon in Regina is on September 11 so would be a potential BQ run--along with the Two Bear Maratholn in Utah. Quebec City at the end of August would be another option.
3) Moving the times 5 minutes in 2013 is likely good. I would have moved 10 minutes in the 45 and older categories, possibly the women's times-will be interesting to see how it works
4) It will be interesting as a pacer. I used to be able to say I was the BQ pacer for certain age groups and motivate people with "follow me to Boston". Now I will have to read out a long list of BQ, BQ5, BQ10 and BQ20 along with a number of asteriks and registratiion info.
4) Think there is a lot of value in saying you have a BQ time whether you can go or not. It is a bit of a recognized seal of approval.
5) Lorne--whether you go or not, your joy of running and your work towards the goal was magic. You deserve to be there. You will get there.
6) Boston is a great marathon experience.
7) If you run the 2013 BQ times this year before September 12, I think you will get in for 2012. The times within 5 minutes of the 2012 BQ are obviously most at risk.
Last edited by canalrunner on Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Boston Marathon qualifying articles

Postby Jwolf » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:46 pm

So much for smart Matt on RW and his rumours.

I actually like the new system. It makes a lot of sense and will also make the actual qualifying time number less of a holy grail than the marathon itself.

It takes the pressure off me to run a certain time- I'll just do as well as I can which is how running should be, anyway. And I'm going to look into a fundrasing entry. :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:53 pm

r4l wrote:
mcshame wrote:The said that they didn't want to take away the feeling when you crossed the line, that you knew you were going to Boston. Look at my picture, I WAS going to Boston.

Yep,
You and me both Lorne. Time to change my avatar I think.

I really feel for you, way more than myself. My BQ was a happy surprise, yours was hard-trained and hard fought for.
I'm really going to cross my fingers that you get there..........

I still think McShame and Run4Life and their 2010 accomplishments rock. If Running Mania has bubblegum cards one day, I will buy the set with your rookie cards. :D

And that and 75 cents will get you a loaf of bread.
I am fortunate to have Running Free as a sponsor. I like to keep silly stats and maps of my Daily Neighbourhood Tours, Races and Marathons run in a Silly Yellow Shirt.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:05 pm

I think we may still see increased demand in 2012 because people who have qualifying times will want to use them ASAP for fear that they won't be able to run another qualifying time.

The great unknown is always: what percentage of people who run qualifying times actually want to register for the race? Changes in the qualifying times/procedures might have an effect on that.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

mcshame
Sylvia Ruegger

Postby mcshame » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:20 pm

Being objective, I agree with what the BAA has implemented. The best times get the honour 1st the rest hope they are good enough to get in. It's like getting into your university of choice, they take the best students 1st and if you get in by the skin of your teeth, you count your blessings and make the best of the oppertunity.

I think the desire to make it will only be increased because you now must pass the minimum bar and compete against the other applicants. I like what they have done even though they knocked me on my @ss

Pat29
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat29 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:52 pm

I was hoping to run a 3:15 this year so I could qualify for 2012 but with the changes it looks like I will have to try and go faster.

Not sure if a BQ is still a realistic goal for me this year given the change but I think the change is fair given the tough situation the BAA was facing.
[b]2016 Races:[b]

January - Richmond Road Races 10 km 41:06
March - St Patrick's Day 10 km 41:31
April - Minto Run for Reach half-marathon 1:28:56
May - Sporting Life 10 km - 41:10
May - Ottawa Marathon - 3:26:37
September - Army Run

My running blog: http://www.thecourageoflungs.com

Mid_Packer
Bruce Kidd

Postby Mid_Packer » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:29 pm

The adjusted times go in effect Sept 24, 2011 for the 2013 marathon.

I was borne in the fall of 1957 so for April 2013 I will 55

This means I need
3:45:00 if I run before Sept 23 , 2011
3:40:00 if I run Sept 24 /11 or later.

I am thinking of looking at a mid Sept marathon. (Air Force in Dayton Ohio is Sept 17th) where I can save 5 minutes.
I am fortunate that if I'm looking at 2013 anyways then I am moving from the current 3:35 standard and can target 3:45 or 3:40 depending on the race I have.
If I don't race before Sept 14th I'll tell myelf I'm getting 5 more minutes to qualify and I'll forget the 5 they reduced.

Is that a bit of glass half full?

BTW anyone with a birth year ending in 2 or 7 or a birth year ending in 3 or 8 provided birthday is before April 15th will be moving age groups for the 2013 event.

Some age groups have (55-59, and 45-49) have 10 min difference between the age lower. Most of the young groups have 5 min differences.

Dave
'10 ATB 2:27, Boston 3:43, Missga 3:42, Sulphur Spring 25k, Niagara 50, ITT,Toad 50, Marine Corp M,
09 Chilly 1:43; ATB 2:37, Boston 3:50, Missuga Mara 3:49, Run for Toad 25k 2:22, Oakville half 1:51, Detroit 3:45
'08 Chilly 1:42; ATB 2:31; Miss Mara 3:43, Westover, Erie (DNF), Detroit 3:36
'07 Chilly 1:45, Detroit 3:50
'92-93 Half 1:27; Detroit 3:10, Boston 3:56

SteveF
Bill Crothers

Postby SteveF » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:32 pm

Well I'm glad its done anyway. I think its a pretty good answer to to this years problem. Lorne and R4L , you may still have a chance to get in next year. This year wasn't a guarantee for anyone. However I imagine Day 5 and and 8 for 2012 registration will still be a mad rush.
I guess this means Boston is finally harder to qualify for than NY! (to be guaranteed at least)

seuss
Kevin Sullivan

Postby seuss » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:45 pm

HCcD wrote:
HiPerformanceSpirit wrote:OH!!!! :D Maybe another trip to Canada instead! Maybe 2!

:dance: :dance: :shifty:

my condolences to those who have had a dream busted with this. may you be happily surprised.

now please excuse the hijack, but Andy is HCcD Hard Core chair Dude? if so, how appropriate. :P

/hijack.
2010 - gone viral?
2011 - mitochondrial mystery tour

mcshame
Sylvia Ruegger

Postby mcshame » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:07 pm

SteveF wrote:Well I'm glad its done anyway. I think its a pretty good answer to to this years problem. Lorne and R4L , you may still have a chance to get in next year. This year wasn't a guarantee for anyone. However I imagine Day 5 and and 8 for 2012 registration will still be a mad rush.
I guess this means Boston is finally harder to qualify for than NY! (to be guaranteed at least)

I doubt it. Qualification standards are going up in 2013 so there will be MORE people trying to get in in 2012. By the time it gets to open to the rest of us who just qualified, it will likely be close to sold out. I wounder if there is a chart of the distribution of Boston qualifiers in the segments they made for registration. I wonder where the biggest population lies.

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:47 pm

I went to the marathonguide.com and looked at the Portland marathon.

For men to be in the first wave to register in the 40-44 age category for 2012, they have to run a 3:00:00. There were 14 men who did that. Women in the same age group needed to run a 3:30 and there were 19 who did that.

The total number of qualifiers were 77 men and 70 woman and thus the percentage who get first kick are 18.2% and 27.1%.

Doing a quick count, about 38 men qualified but in are in the last group or qualified between 3:15 - 3:20 or 49%. Women, 24 or 34%.

Females aged 50-54 who beat their 20 minute qualifying time, zero out of 27 who qualified.

Males aged 50-54 who beat their 20 minute qualifying time, 10 out of 40 or 25%.

Males 0 - 34 11 out of 54 or 20.3%

Males 35 - 39 11 out of 64 or 17.2%.

Let the debate about what the "real" qualifying time will be for each age group for it appears the stated time on the web site may be irrelevant as will there be any spots left. The males, 40-44 tend to have the time and money to run Boston and thus does a higher percentage of that group first qualifiers take advantage and likewise so that there is an over representation of that group and few real spots for women 50-54??

I also wonder if they have really solved anything. The top 50-60% should get in without a problem but then there is the mad dash for the last wave of qualifiers and systems will crash and ...

All I can say is that I am very thankful that when I crossed the finish line, my wife could come up to me and say, "I guess we are going to Boston". And thinking of that, I wonder what that does to the concept of qualifying for Boston. You run a 3:16 and needed a 3:20 but you may never have a chance to actually run Boston as all of the spots might be gone and so without diminishing the accomplishment, how does one qualify but not be able to run??

rambo999
Johnny Miles

Postby rambo999 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:50 pm

Does that mean there will be a higher demand to have 2:50 pace bunnies in races? :D

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:09 am

rambo999 wrote:Does that mean there will be a higher demand to have 2:50 pace bunnies in races? :D

There could be an entire industry in that. 3:35 and other odd bunnies to make sure you beat the qualifying time by five or ten minutes.

So in effect, Boston in 2013 has reduced the real and practical qualifying time by 10 minutes (the five minutes they reduced the times and five minute window qualifiers) and then left the field to be rounded out by the fastest of the rest.

Return to “General Running Discussion”