Pulling out of a race?

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

gymnastgirly
Johnny Miles

Pulling out of a race?

Postby gymnastgirly » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:58 am

Ugh. Well, my training has been spotty at best this year so far. I strained the peroneal tendon in my right foot in late February, which led to a few weeks without running while it recovered. Add that to a bout with bronchitis, and my running lately has been limited to very short jogs and mostly walking.

This week I've been running and feeling good. Tuesday only 3km, yesterday 7km. I felt great. But this morning, I woke up to find my left foot feeling similar pain to what the right felt when I strained that tendon. I'm icing and hoping against hope right now that it's NOT the same thing & that it'll go away, but I'm supposed to be doing the WPS Half Marathon on May 1st. Now, with being very undertrained, I was not planning any sort of time goal for this event, I just planned to finish, even if it was mostly walking. If this doesn't start easing up today, I'm assuming I'm going to have to pull out.

I really, really don't want to. Plus, with this being my first half marathon, I've raised money from friends & co-workers. I'm horribly embarassed at the thought of having to email everyone to tell them I'm pulling out. But then again, I have a 5 & 10K planned in Fargo on May long that I don't want to jeopardize either.

Thoughts? Advice? Magic wand to wave & make the pain go away? :)

2011 plans
Resolution Run - 48 min (walked...it was COLD!)
WPS Half Marathon - DNF, 1:20ish at 10.75km
Fargo 5K & 10K - 5K walked 48 something. 10K 1:13:55
Try a Trail series
And others TBD...

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Re: Pulling out of a race?

Postby HCcD » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:04 am

Your long term health is your Priority, and everyone should respect whatever decision you make ... You could always offer to volunteer at the event, if you are not able to participate in it ... :wink:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

tgilpin
Bruce Kidd

Re: Pulling out of a race?

Postby tgilpin » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:14 am

kepp icing and resting (and advil as needed) for your left foot and hopefully in a few days it will be feeling better. If so - I would still do the half marathon seeing as you would be heart-broken to have to miss it. You said that you originally planned to run/walk with no time restriction...just wanting "to complete". if you are feeling well I am sure you can at least walk the half.

However...if the pain doesn't go away and you do have something more serious going on, your health is more important and your friends will understand.
2014 Races
Chilly Half Marathon Mar.2 - made it to the finish line
Mississauga Half Marathon - May 4
Philladelphia Full Marathon - Nov.23

Return to “General Running Discussion”