Marathon Training and Weight Watchers???

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

IronGoddess
Jerome Drayton

Marathon Training and Weight Watchers???

Postby IronGoddess » Mon May 09, 2011 9:41 am

Can you do both? I have to lose some weight I have gained over the past few months and I know weight watchers works for me ( 80 pds lost and mostly kept off over 4 yrs). But I am also at the beginning point of training for a Fall marathon, can the two work.
IMC 2015

Engmomma
Abby Hoffman

Re: Marathon Training and Weight Watchers???

Postby Engmomma » Mon May 09, 2011 11:47 am

You can but I would suggest you talk to your leader.

Keep in mind that the WW Activity points that you will gain were mainly developed for sedentary people. It may not necessarily translate the way the book says. (ie a 10k mid week run for you would be different for someone getting off the couch). You would be way more efficient and therefore burn less.

I would also be relucant to reduce your caloric intake when you need the energy for running.

If you want...talk to Holly about being added to the WW board here. There are a bunch of us. Many with more experience than me. :D
The Summer of Eng is over.

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Mon May 09, 2011 12:26 pm

It is doable, I've lost weight while on WW and training for a marathon in 2006.

You have to count gatorade and gels that you take while running (and it does end up being a lot of points when you run for 4h). I was eating all my APs then. Not sure about the new program since I am not on it anymore. But I think the main goal will be to fuel your run well before so you don't feel tired and weak on your runs.

Good luck.
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

gymnastgirly
Johnny Miles

Postby gymnastgirly » Tue May 10, 2011 12:43 pm

Engmomma wrote:If you want...talk to Holly about being added to the WW board here. There are a bunch of us. Many with more experience than me. :D

We have a WW board here? I'm lifetime but need a kick in the rear to start tracking again... Plus I'd love to hear about how doing WW and running training can work together, I wasn't training seriously enough for it to make much of a difference last year. :)

2011 plans
Resolution Run - 48 min (walked...it was COLD!)
WPS Half Marathon - DNF, 1:20ish at 10.75km
Fargo 5K & 10K - 5K walked 48 something. 10K 1:13:55
Try a Trail series
And others TBD...

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue May 10, 2011 12:47 pm

gymnastgirly wrote:
Engmomma wrote:If you want...talk to Holly about being added to the WW board here. There are a bunch of us. Many with more experience than me. :D

We have a WW board here? I'm lifetime but need a kick in the rear to start tracking again... Plus I'd love to hear about how doing WW and running training can work together, I wasn't training seriously enough for it to make much of a difference last year. :)

Clarification: it's not a WeightWatchers board. It's the Weight Loss Challenge forum. Many of the people who have access and post on that forum are doing WW, but others are counting calories using Sparkpeople, Livestrong, or FitDay.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

gymnastgirly
Johnny Miles

Postby gymnastgirly » Tue May 10, 2011 12:51 pm

La wrote:
gymnastgirly wrote:

Clarification: it's not a WeightWatchers board. It's the Weight Loss Challenge forum. Many of the people who have access and post on that forum are doing WW, but others are counting calories using Sparkpeople, Livestrong, or FitDay.

Either way, it's exciting to me! I've been doing WW with my mom for almost 2 years now, but she's not a runner, so some days I just can't exist on the same stuff she would eat, and it'd be nice to talk to others working on the same thing. I'll have to message Holly then I assume - is there something specific I have to do to be allowed to access it, or just if I ask nicely? :)

2011 plans
Resolution Run - 48 min (walked...it was COLD!)
WPS Half Marathon - DNF, 1:20ish at 10.75km
Fargo 5K & 10K - 5K walked 48 something. 10K 1:13:55
Try a Trail series
And others TBD...

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Tue May 10, 2011 1:28 pm

gymnastgirly wrote:
La wrote:
gymnastgirly wrote:

Either way, it's exciting to me! I've been doing WW with my mom for almost 2 years now, but she's not a runner, so some days I just can't exist on the same stuff she would eat, and it'd be nice to talk to others working on the same thing. I'll have to message Holly then I assume - is there something specific I have to do to be allowed to access it, or just if I ask nicely? :)

oh, it would be fun to make up initiation rules!! :twisted: :lol: but nope, you just have to ask. when the sub-forum was first created, the challenge started with folks posting pictures of themselves... some (most? :lol:) people felt more comfortable doing that on a private board. now we tend to just discuss the ups and downs of weight loss (and running!).

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue May 10, 2011 1:47 pm

ask nicely and send me chocolate!

(oh wait, nix the chocolate... I'm trying to drop weight myself! lol)

I'll add you right now.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

IronGoddess
Jerome Drayton

Postby IronGoddess » Tue May 10, 2011 3:51 pm

Me too,please
IMC 2015

mcshame
Sylvia Ruegger

Postby mcshame » Tue May 10, 2011 5:09 pm

Yes, I have done both together. Worked very well for me

Return to “General Running Discussion”