Guide Needed for Blind Runner

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

freddybeachpete
Bruce Kidd

Guide Needed for Blind Runner

Postby freddybeachpete » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:57 am

Greetings maniacs,

It's been a long time since I posted on the Forum but I am back in search of a guide. Through my friend Myra (about whom I have often posted!), I have been in contact with Tim McIsaac, a blind athlete who is part of the Won With One group (http://www.wonwithone.com) . Tim comes from a swimming background, just finished the Kelowna Apple Triathlon and now would like to work to improve on the running component of Tri racing. He is aiming to do a HalfM in Winnipeg in spring or summer of 2012 and so is in search of a guide for that event. No experience necessary. I feel very sure that there will be someone from RM who is interested to connect (pun intended) with him. I will check back on the Forum from time to time or else you can email him directly (tmcisaac@mymts.net) or me directly (pmcdouga@unb.ca) and I will ensure that you get hooked up (pun once again intended).
2009 Goals:

UNB Indoor Tri (Feb)
Fredericton Race Weekend (May)
"Blind Guys Tri Team" @ Joe's Team Sprint Tri, Muskoka, Ont. (July)
Lobsterman Oly Tri, Freeport ME. (Sept)

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Re: Guide Needed for Blind Runner

Postby HCcD » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:17 am

'Tater is hosting a 2012 Winnipeg Hoopla for the race weekend, with millions and millions of Maniacs expected to attend, :shifty: so I am sure you will find some interest from now until then ...

So, umm, out of curiousity, what time goal is he looking at ??? :shifty:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

freddybeachpete
Bruce Kidd

Postby freddybeachpete » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:33 am

So, umm, out of curiousity, what time goal is he looking at ???

I asked him and he's not sure but thinks probably in the 2 1/2 hour range
2009 Goals:

UNB Indoor Tri (Feb)

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:18 pm

I'm sure you'll find a guide!
One of my good friends was a guide with a blind triathlete recently (one of the wonwithone athletes :D ) and enjoyed the experience so much he's going to be a guide for another blind triathlete in a couple weeks.

Nice you popped in and know we're a great resource!
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

phorunner
Bruce Kidd

Postby phorunner » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:24 pm

freddybeachpete wrote:...He is aiming to do a HalfM in Winnipeg in spring or summer of 2012 and so is in search of a guide for that event. No experience necessary...

Not to be a smartass, but I think one would require some measure of experience to run a half marathon. :mrgreen:

That being said, I'd love to do it, but I'm not in the area, and it sounds like he'll be able to do a Half in less than that if he's already doing Tri's - which is just out of my pace range.

Best of luck though!

2012 Bread and Honey 5k: 27:30
2012 Harry Rosen 8k: 45:20
2012 SL10k: 52:55
2013 Army Run: 1:58:49
2011 Midsummer's Night Run 15k: 1:35:17
2013 ATB 30k - Coming up!
2011 Scotia TWM Full: UGH! I'll post my next one

freddybeachpete
Bruce Kidd

Postby freddybeachpete » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:32 pm

Not to be a smartass, but I think one would require some measure of experience to run a half marathon.

Point well taken - no experience as a guide necessary. Experience as a runner strongly encouraged! :D
2009 Goals:

UNB Indoor Tri (Feb)

KBO
Ben Johnson

Postby KBO » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:07 pm

freddybeachpete wrote:Greetings maniacs,

It's been a long time since I posted on the Forum but I am back in search of a guide. Through my friend Myra (about whom I have often posted!), I have been in contact with Tim McIsaac, a blind athlete who is part of the Won With One group (http://www.wonwithone.com) . Tim comes from a swimming background, just finished the Kelowna Apple Triathlon and now would like to work to improve on the running component of Tri racing. He is aiming to do a HalfM in Winnipeg in spring or summer of 2012 and so is in search of a guide for that event. No experience necessary. I feel very sure that there will be someone from RM who is interested to connect (pun intended) with him. I will check back on the Forum from time to time or else you can email him directly (tmcisaac@mymts.net) or me directly (pmcdouga@unb.ca) and I will ensure that you get hooked up (pun once again intended).

I used to work with Tim! Does he need someone to train with him as well throughout the process?

Return to “General Running Discussion”