Toronto Waterfront Marathon - SOLD OUT

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Toronto Waterfront Marathon - SOLD OUT

Postby jonovision_man » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:00 am

Full, 1/2 and 5k - all sold out.

Maybe we need a 2nd fall marathon to handle the demand?? ;)

Seriously though, why not limit the 1/2 and 5k to allow more full sign-ups? If last year's numbers are any guide, there are going to be 3x as many half runners as full... I thought the whole point of merging the two was to create a huge marathon, not a huge half?

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Re: Toronto Waterfront Marathon - SOLD OUT

Postby HCcD » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:11 am

Oh darn, I missed the registration .... Anyone want to give me their bib ?? :shifty: :wink:

On a further note, on the RR site, someone was asking $200 for their 1/2 Marathon registration ... :shock: :shock: May go back often to see the responses to that one, over the next day or two ...
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

PinkLady
Bill Crothers

Postby PinkLady » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:15 am

HCcD wrote:Oh darn, I missed the registration .... Anyone want to give me their bib ?? :shifty: :wink:

On a further note, on the RR site, someone was asking $200 for their 1/2 Marathon registration ... :shock: :shock: May go back often to see the responses to that one, over the next day or two ...

*YOU* missed out on registration, Andy? :shock: You're not pulling my leg? You who pre-registers for Goofy like a whole year in advance? How'd that happen?!? I'm flummoxed!
Sandra...Air Force wife & Professional Kid Wrangler...I knit to stay sane, I run to eat!
2012 - year of perseverance, endurance, survival, and earning blackmail material for life. :D
My running log: http://www.runningmania.com/forum/viewt ... 18&t=44092

PB's:
Army Run HM (Sep 18, 2011) - 1:55:14

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Postby fingerboy » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:17 am

Like I did with the Sportinglife thread

. Scotia Goodlife Total
2009 2917 1929 4846
2010 2713 1993 4706
2011 0000 1267 1267

You're right, while in someways 5,000 for one race is big, its not that big overall compared to the last two years with both fall marathons.

However, its a popularity contest. 10k-1/2 mara are the most popular races I think. The 10,000 spots in the half sold out weeks ago, with aggressive transfer bidding. The full only just sold out and I'm not sure quite as many care. I doubt they'd ever have a 20,000 person marathon race. I don't think there are 20,000 people in the GTA who could run a marathon.

Maybe if this year becomes a huge success, with Reid claiming the 2:10 time, and we have 3 stars who make the Olympics, then it will gain a lot of press. Brooks certainly knows how to promote the event, he's even got CBC coverage. It will probably grow, but I guess it's limited by what kind of license they can get for the number of people.

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:08 am

Getting close to competing with Ottawa as Canada's largest marathon. Don't think they will ever give up the cash cow that is the half marathon. Too bad because although they bring in a world class field and this year have both Ed Whitlock and Canadian Olympic hopefuls, the mixed marathon/half I think prevents it from moving to the next level. Perhaps the calculation is that it will never be Berlin or Chicago or Paris and that its competitors are more Philadelphia and Ottawa. Personally I would like to see a marathon only event in Canada and see whether it could be developed into a world class event. Not sure that will happen.

Also think they should move to a wave start now that numbers have grown. Sadly I am predicting the same clog at the start and a walking pace kilometer for 4 hour marathoners.
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:08 am

fingerboy wrote:However, its a popularity contest. 10k-1/2 mara are the most popular races I think.

Last year's totals:
Full 2719
Half 7893
5k 4274.

Anyone know the caps this year? I'm assuming 5k for full, 10k for half?

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:18 am

jonovision_man wrote:
fingerboy wrote:However, its a popularity contest. 10k-1/2 mara are the most popular races I think.

Last year's totals:
Full 2719
Half 7893
5k 4274.

Anyone know the caps this year? I'm assuming 5k for full, 10k for half?

jono

It will be interesting to see the amount of $$millions$$ that are brought in to the GTA Tourist (Hotel / Restaurants / Bars alone) Industry over the week(end), when they come out ... that will go into the City's coffers, directly and/or indirectly .. without any real financial investment from the City of Toronto ... and, wonder if it would make any differences to their mindset towards running events in the GTA area ?? :think: :think: :think:

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Postby fingerboy » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:24 am

R u kidding?

This is MARATHON week Yo! Our glorious mayor is all over this event. He loves the marathon! If it were up to him, we'd have one every day.

Jono - you're right, 5/10k caps

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:43 am

fingerboy wrote:R u kidding?

This is MARATHON week Yo! Our glorious mayor is all over this event. He loves the marathon! If it were up to him, we'd have one every day.

It's not the Mayor's support you need, it's the rest of the City Council's attitude and support that needs to change ...

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:56 am

fingerboy wrote:Jono - you're right, 5/10k caps

Hmm, so next year maybe 6/9k, then 7/8k, then 8k/7k... until the full is 15k and there is no need for the half! :)

jono
Visit my blog!

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:05 am

HCcD wrote:
fingerboy wrote:R u kidding?

It's not the Mayor's support you need, it's the rest of the City Council's attitude and support that needs to change ...

Perhaps media coverage that focused on the race and not the road closures, and more spectators cheering than drivers honking would help. Sadly, Rob Ford may be reflecting the perspective of some part of the city.
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:34 pm

fingerboy wrote: Brooks certainly knows how to promote the event, he's even got CBC coverage.

Fantastic stuff... that looks like a one hour recap, there's also live coverage on CBC Bold. Nice!

jono
Visit my blog!

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:00 am

MrBond is driving the lead car with the CBC TV guys on board. :)

At least this year he's not driving a car with Alan standing through the sun roof yelling and screaming. :lol:
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:06 am

La wrote:MrBond is driving the lead car with the CBC TV guys on board. :)

At least this year he's not driving a car with Alan standing through the sun roof yelling and screaming. :lol:

Rumour has it that the other passenger in the lead car will be the Mayor, as well ... :shock: :lol: :wink:

j/k :shifty:

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:40 am

Bib 10453.

The only thing I hope that changes about the forecast is the wind. All the rest (rain, temps) are perfect for me!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

lim314159
Johnny Miles

Postby lim314159 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:07 pm

Not sure why the city enforced such a late start of 9 AM. I like the structure of the Toronto Marathon with half and full starting an hour apart. Last year's Waterfront Marathon was quite packed for the first 10 K before it opened up.

AlfiefromPickering
Bill Crothers

Postby AlfiefromPickering » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:52 pm

The 9 AM start will affect the marathon runners driving to the race. They will have to pay for parking after 1 PM (which is the Toronto downtown parking regulation). In other words, the past 6 years (in which I ran this marathon) the race started at 7 AM, so I didn't have to worry about the parking until after 1 PM.
Tomorrow I am taking the GO train to travel to the start. No way I will drive to the downtown of that miserable city to get an $80 parking ticket.....
I am in love with the President of Argentina .... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zhf5iInIWEs mamacita preciosa
and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIZ39iEw80M. She is 63 is 2016.... meaning 10 years older than I. I guess I'm into mature girls .....

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:54 am

??? If you park in a Green P lot, or most others with visa machines, you just drive in, put your visa in at 8 or whenever you arrive, and put in the visa again when you leave... you just get charged for the time you're there. It's only if you park on the street that the 1pm thing applies!
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Return to “General Running Discussion”