Niagara Falls Womens' Half Marathon: June 3 2012

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

User avatar
irun4me
Tom Longboat
Posts: 406
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:45 am
Location: Brighton

Re: Niagara Falls Womens' Half Marathon: June 3 2012

Postby irun4me » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:38 am

My running buddy suggested this race for us. I'm all over it but unfortunately she can't get away. Going all the way to Niagara solo doesn't sound like much fun. Time will tell if I register, maybe some non-running friends want a weekend at the Falls :D
2013 WDW Goofy Challenge
Peterborough half
...........

User avatar
DLS
Bruce Kidd
Posts: 554
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:44 pm
Location: Niagara-on-the-Lake ON

Re: Niagara Falls Womens' Half Marathon: June 3 2012

Postby DLS » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:07 pm

You could join a group of Maniacs for a bit of fun...! :-)
Deanna

Running in memory of Porter.
"Make voyages. Attempt them. There's nothing else."

2012
Chilly Half Mar 4th - 2:03:33
Around The Bay Mar 25 - 3:10:19 - PB (de facto, but still!)
NF Womens Half June 4 - 1:59:00 - PB!
Portland Half Oct 7 - 1:59:15
Gorilla Run - 17k - DONE
ING NYC Marathon Nov 4 -- DNS, care of Hurricane Sandy
Philly Marathon Nov 18 -- 5:03:40 -- but completed!

2013
Miami Half 2:24
Chilly Half 2:24

User avatar
Cupcake Girl
Bruce Kidd
Posts: 638
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:15 pm
Location: Cheeseburger in Paradise

Re: Niagara Falls Womens' Half Marathon: June 3 2012

Postby Cupcake Girl » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:02 am

run mom run wrote: Tell me more of this "Mighty Taco". Is it worth packing my passport?


MT is the coup de grace of Mexican junk food. This is not a Taco Bell - that stuff is pure crap, comparatively speaking. This is the perfect post-race food, not including chocolate and cupcakes. :lol:

Double Bellybuster is the connoisseur of Mighty Taco, so I will let him jump in on this one.

http://www.mightytaco.com/

Even if this does interest you, with the dollar being so close to par and the border being right there, pack the passport and do some cross-border shopping at Target and Tops. :D

There are also some good sports stores for running shoes, which are always cheaper than here. :roll:

User avatar
HCcD
Donovan Bailey
Posts: 60022
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:05 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Niagara Falls Womens' Half Marathon: June 3 2012

Postby HCcD » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:04 am

Cupcake Girl wrote:
run mom run wrote: Tell me more of this "Mighty Taco". Is it worth packing my passport?


MT is the coup de grace of Mexican junk food. This is not a Taco Bell - that stuff is pure crap, comparatively speaking. This is the perfect post-race food, not including chocolate and cupcakes. :lol:

Double Bellybuster is the connoisseur of Mighty Taco, so I will let him jump in on this one.

http://www.mightytaco.com/

Even if this does interest you, with the dollar being so close to par and the border being right there, pack the passport and do some cross-border shopping at Target and Tops. :D

There are also some good sports stores for running shoes, which are always cheaper than here. :roll:


Whatta ya mean TB is pure cr@p ?? Did they not just start a PR / Ad Campagin last Fall, indicating that they are now using real beef products ??? :shock: :lol: :wink: :shifty:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

User avatar
Dr. S
Abby Hoffman
Posts: 9646
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:33 pm
Location: Montreal
Contact:

Re: Niagara Falls Womens' Half Marathon: June 3 2012

Postby Dr. S » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:05 am

irun4me wrote:My running buddy suggested this race for us. I'm all over it but unfortunately she can't get away. Going all the way to Niagara solo doesn't sound like much fun. Time will tell if I register, maybe some non-running friends want a weekend at the Falls :D


Eh... I could pick you up on the way and we could go together.... :think:
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

User avatar
purdy65
Abby Hoffman
Posts: 9921
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:06 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: Niagara Falls Womens' Half Marathon: June 3 2012

Postby purdy65 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:15 am

Dr. S wrote:
irun4me wrote:My running buddy suggested this race for us. I'm all over it but unfortunately she can't get away. Going all the way to Niagara solo doesn't sound like much fun. Time will tell if I register, maybe some non-running friends want a weekend at the Falls :D


Eh... I could pick you up on the way and we could go together.... :think:



Yes! The more the merrier. You won't be alone!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

User avatar
irun4me
Tom Longboat
Posts: 406
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:45 am
Location: Brighton

Re: Niagara Falls Womens' Half Marathon: June 3 2012

Postby irun4me » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:38 pm

DLS wrote:You could join a group of Maniacs for a bit of fun...! :-)

purdy65 wrote:
Dr. S wrote:
irun4me wrote:My running buddy suggested this race for us. I'm all over it but unfortunately she can't get away. Going all the way to Niagara solo doesn't sound like much fun. Time will tell if I register, maybe some non-running friends want a weekend at the Falls :D


Eh... I could pick you up on the way and we could go together.... :think:



Yes! The more the merrier. You won't be alone!


Hmmmm, now I've got a decision to make :D. Goodlife T.O? NF Half? Both?
I'll look for the maniacs posse at ATB. Looks like lots are going again this year. Hopefully I'll have more of a schedule in ink by then. So far I've only penciled in some races. Time to change my sig below :wink:
Thanks ladies
2013 WDW Goofy Challenge
Peterborough half
...........

User avatar
Cupcake Girl
Bruce Kidd
Posts: 638
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:15 pm
Location: Cheeseburger in Paradise

Re: Niagara Falls Womens' Half Marathon: June 3 2012

Postby Cupcake Girl » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:54 pm

HCcD wrote: Whatta ya mean TB is pure cr@p ?? Did they not just start a PR / Ad Campagin last Fall, indicating that they are now using real beef products ??? :shock: :lol: :wink: :shifty:

If you've got to advertise you NOW use real beef 'products' something ain't right. :roll: :shifty:

I've worked in fast food and know what is done to the food between yanking it out of the freezer and cooking and once it's been cooked. I do not want to know what happens before that. Thanks Jamie Oliver and your Food Revolution.

I have no idea if MT's meat is real or fake - don't eat the stuff - but I like the veggie option.

Junk food is junk food, at least this is a higher brow of junk food, IMHO :lol: Again, worth the quick trip across the border.

User avatar
Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers
Posts: 2867
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:34 am
Location: Udora, Ontario
Contact:

Re: Niagara Falls Womens' Half Marathon: June 3 2012

Postby Double Bellybuster » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:44 pm

Cupcake Girl wrote:Double Bellybuster is the connoisseur of Mighty Taco, so I will let him jump in on this one.


I just had it for lunch Tuesday and for dinner Wednesday. It was awesome...and awesome.

Yes, I worked it into a business trip this week. :oops: Buffalo airport is a bit further than Toronto (100 minute further drive less 60-90 minutes saved getting through parking, check-in and security at tiny airport very quickly) but has direct flights to Atlanta (my employer is based in West Georgia) that can be $1,000 cheaper when booking at the last minute. So I save the company $1,000 when my real motive is to jam myself full of Mighty Taco...twice. :lol:

I hear all on the cheap beef concerns. I get my signature Mighty Taco items (my faves are the El Nino and the Super Mighty) with chicken rather than beef. Can also get the shell in whole wheat if you folks like health with your junk. And here's their gluten-free menu for those with such conerns:

http://www.mightytaco.com/gluten.php

And check out at the URLs below how quick Mighty Taco makes you run:

http://orchardparksports.com/2010/11/26 ... ghty-mile/

http://orchardparksports.com/2011/11/27 ... ghty-mile/
I am fortunate to have Running Free as a sponsor. I like to keep silly stats and maps of my Daily Neighbourhood Tours, Races and Marathons run in a Silly Yellow Shirt.

User avatar
Annelizabeth
Bruce Kidd
Posts: 840
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:36 am
Location: Hanover, ON
Contact:

Re: Niagara Falls Womens' Half Marathon: June 3 2012

Postby Annelizabeth » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:20 pm

The real question I have about all this taco talk is how loose is the aftermath?

User avatar
Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers
Posts: 2867
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:34 am
Location: Udora, Ontario
Contact:

Re: Niagara Falls Womens' Half Marathon: June 3 2012

Postby Double Bellybuster » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:49 am

Annelizabeth wrote:The real question I have about all this taco talk is how loose is the aftermath?


No issues here. Late dinner last night and I am ready to run this morning as if fueled by the world's finest 69-cent pasta.
I am fortunate to have Running Free as a sponsor. I like to keep silly stats and maps of my Daily Neighbourhood Tours, Races and Marathons run in a Silly Yellow Shirt.

Mark.AU
Bill Crothers
Posts: 2583
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:30 am

Re: Niagara Falls Womens' Half Marathon: June 3 2012

Postby Mark.AU » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:09 am

Double Bellybuster wrote:...less 60-90 minutes saved getting through parking, check-in and security at tiny airport very quickly)

[Hijack]

What the heck are you doing to take so long getting through that stuff at YYZ? I'm at the gate 20-25min after pulling into the parking spot - even if international or US.

[/Hijack]
"It's now very common to hear people say 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so fcuking what."

Stephen Fry.

User avatar
Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers
Posts: 2867
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:34 am
Location: Udora, Ontario
Contact:

Re: Niagara Falls Womens' Half Marathon: June 3 2012

Postby Double Bellybuster » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:53 am

Mark 2.0 wrote:
Double Bellybuster wrote:...less 60-90 minutes saved getting through parking, check-in and security at tiny airport very quickly)

[Hijack]

What the heck are you doing to take so long getting through that stuff at YYZ? I'm at the gate 20-25min after pulling into the parking spot - even if international or US.

[/Hijack]


Just let me justify my Mighty Taco trips! But I do find I have to get to my Pearson lot two hours before flight time to allow for the slow trips through everything that seem to happen at least 20% of the time for me.
Last edited by Double Bellybuster on Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am fortunate to have Running Free as a sponsor. I like to keep silly stats and maps of my Daily Neighbourhood Tours, Races and Marathons run in a Silly Yellow Shirt.

Mark.AU
Bill Crothers
Posts: 2583
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:30 am

Re: Niagara Falls Womens' Half Marathon: June 3 2012

Postby Mark.AU » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:54 am

Double Bellybuster wrote:
Mark 2.0 wrote:
Double Bellybuster wrote:...less 60-90 minutes saved getting through parking, check-in and security at tiny airport very quickly)

[Hijack]

What the heck are you doing to take so long getting through that stuff at YYZ? I'm at the gate 20-25min after pulling into the parking spot - even if international or US.

[/Hijack]


Just let me justify my Mighty Taco trips!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"It's now very common to hear people say 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so fcuking what."

Stephen Fry.

User avatar
Dr. S
Abby Hoffman
Posts: 9646
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:33 pm
Location: Montreal
Contact:

Re: Niagara Falls Womens' Half Marathon: June 3 2012

Postby Dr. S » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:25 am

irun4me wrote:
DLS wrote:You could join a group of Maniacs for a bit of fun...! :-)

purdy65 wrote:
Dr. S wrote:
irun4me wrote:My running buddy suggested this race for us. I'm all over it but unfortunately she can't get away. Going all the way to Niagara solo doesn't sound like much fun. Time will tell if I register, maybe some non-running friends want a weekend at the Falls :D


Eh... I could pick you up on the way and we could go together.... :think:



Yes! The more the merrier. You won't be alone!


Hmmmm, now I've got a decision to make :D. Goodlife T.O? NF Half? Both?
I'll look for the maniacs posse at ATB. Looks like lots are going again this year. Hopefully I'll have more of a schedule in ink by then. So far I've only penciled in some races. Time to change my sig below :wink:
Thanks ladies


I'm not sure if that's going to work for me either. I actually just saw that I'll be just back from Cabot trail relay race the week-end before! So yeah.... racing a bit much?! LOL Maybe next year!

Have fun girls!
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

Andes
Johnny Miles
Posts: 94
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:52 pm

Re: Niagara Falls Womens' Half Marathon: June 3 2012

Postby Andes » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:22 pm

DLS wrote:
Andes wrote:That is good to know - I was considering that race but was wondering how it would be as I read that the course is not closed to the public.


Hey there -- I just checked with the race director, and he says the course is definitely closed from 7am-12pm.

Sorry for the confusion! I meant to respond to the comment about the Toronto women's half - that the course was a mess last year. Glad to hear that the Niagara half will be a closed course.


Return to “General Running Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests