Celebrities and elites gear up for NYC

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Re: Celebrities and elites gear up for NYC

Postby turd ferguson » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:29 pm

La wrote:I went to Value Village today to get some throw-away clothes and what should I come across but a New York Rangers SNUGGIE!!! I had to buy it. :lol: I also have a hoodie that says "Brooklyn Soul." :lol:

I was lucky enough to find a Canada kicks ass hoodie for my drop shirt in 2008.

(I love that picture - I'd been looking for BJH and CINC all morning and spotted them getting their picture taken and literally jumped into the frame)
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Re: Watching the Moose Run

Postby MINITEE » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:55 pm

getfit wrote:
La wrote:So far we have the following predictions on Mark Moose Messier running the NY Marathon

Run 26.2 under 4 hours
Jono 4:08
DoubleBbuster +4:13.35
canalrunner 3:53 --fastest Ranger
Cupcake Girl 4:25
HCcD 3:51 or 4:45 (Andy is aiming to be speaker in the Ont Leg with that sort of flipflop)
dgrant 4:40
Habs4ever 4:12
La - slower than me! :)

I'll add to the predictions, I'll say 4:02. He's gonna try and go under 4 hours and just miss :wink: I think Apollo will do well, as a speed skater he already has the cardio endurance figured out 8)

Apollo is a short track skater (translate to sprinter). Aside from cycling for cross training... I don't give him big thumbs up on the cardio endurance... Sorry to disagree..

And going back to a statement about how having slow-celebrity types running marathons muddies the sport? :-?? Guess I will never run another marathon if people have that attitude... (not saying that I am a celebrity type, but I am definitely a BOP'er)
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Re: Watching the Moose Run

Postby turd ferguson » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:49 pm

MINITEE wrote:
And going back to a statement about how having slow-celebrity types running marathons muddies the sport? :-?? Guess I will never run another marathon if people have that attitude... (not saying that I am a celebrity type, but I am definitely a BOP'er)

I don't think the comment was that celebrities running marathons muddies the sport, its the ridiculous amount of attention paid to celebrities that muddies the sport. If Katie Holmes wants to run a marathon, super, if the media (and sports media) focuses on her story to the exclusion of all the other amazing stories going on, that's a bad thing.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Celebrities and elites gear up for NYC

Postby Jwolf » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:14 pm

turd ferguson wrote:
MINITEE wrote:

I don't think the comment was that celebrities running marathons muddies the sport, its the ridiculous amount of attention paid to celebrities that muddies the sport. If Katie Holmes wants to run a marathon, super, if the media (and sports media) focuses on her story to the exclusion of all the other amazing stories going on, that's a bad thing.

+1

Also- don't give too much thought to what other people think of your marathon ability or pace. Do it for your own reasons. With millions of people running marathons each year, everyone has their own intentions and reasons for doing it.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:26 pm

Jwolf wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:
MINITEE wrote:

+1

Also- don't give too much thought to what other people think of your marathon ability or pace. Do it for your own reasons. With millions of people running marathons each year, everyone has their own intentions and reasons for doing it.

Agree with both comments.
If I worried about what other people were thinking about me out there running...I'd never lace up :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:34 am

I just remembered a good counterexample to the "hockey players suck at running" hypothesis which occupied this thread last week. Ex-NHLer Geoff Courtnall has run the Victoria marathon in each of the last three years, going from 3:19 to 3:08 to 2:58.

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:00 am

ian wrote:I just remembered a good counterexample to the "hockey players suck at running" hypothesis which occupied this thread last week. Ex-NHLer Geoff Courtnall has run the Victoria marathon in each of the last three years, going from 3:19 to 3:08 to 2:58.

Nice!

Here's an interview:
http://islandsportsnews.net/20143/lates ... al-health/

CK: October 2010 you ran the Goodlife Fitness Victoria Marathon finishing in 3:03. That is a very solid time for a guy who spent 35 – 40 years playing hockey and weighs 200 pounds. Any chance we will see you slim down to a runner's physique to drop the time below three hours?

GC: I have lost 20 pounds since last year and want to break three hours, so I will do whatever it takes to get there.

CK: How did you get introduced into running?

GC: I always ran cross-country in school and would run five miles twice-a-week during off-season training. I mainly trained on the stationery bike for hockey and when I retired I started running farther and more frequent.

CK: Based on your finishing time from 2009 your improvement equals almost a pound a minute. What was your training program like this summer?

GC: I run three to five days a week and built up to 120 kilometers a week with one day a week set aside for interval training. I haven't really figured that out yet but will train more this year.

So I guess it's more of a "hockey players who rely on their hockey training rather than doing 120km/week of marathon-specific training suck at running" hypothesis... :)

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:02 pm

jonovision_man wrote:
ian wrote:I just remembered a good counterexample to the "hockey players suck at running" hypothesis which occupied this thread last week. Ex-NHLer Geoff Courtnall has run the Victoria marathon in each of the last three years, going from 3:19 to 3:08 to 2:58.

So I guess it's more of a "hockey players who rely on their hockey training rather than doing 120km/week of marathon-specific training suck at running" hypothesis... :)

jono

So note to self: if you are going to play hockey, practise hockey. If you are going to run.....???

So far we have the following predictions on Mark Moose Messier running the NY Marathon

Run 26.2 under 4 hours
Jono 4:08
DoubleBbuster +4:13.35
canalrunner 3:53 --fastest Ranger
Cupcake Girl 4:25
HCcD 3:51 or 4:45 (Andy is aiming to be speaker in the Ont Leg with that sort of flipflop)
dgrant 4:40
Habs4ever 4:12
La - slower than me!
Get fit - 4:02
Trixiee - 4:14
Jump145 - 4:35
JWolf - A wolf runs faster than a Moose
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:02 pm

Hey, get me off that list. :) i'm not making any predictions. ;)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:49 pm

Jwolf wrote:Hey, get me off that list. :) i'm not making any predictions. ;)

My bad. I thought that was a statement of fact.

PS I know you can take him.
2016 Races

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:12 pm

C'mon, you can take him! :)

Now I wish I had an old Oilers Messier jersey lying around, I would totally run in it.

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:37 pm

canalrunner wrote:

My bad. I thought that was a statement of fact.

PS I know you can take him.

I was just continuing the wolf/moose joke, but I really have no idea how fast he'll be able to run. He has been training though, so I wouldn't be surprised if he pulls it off a lot faster than what everyone is predicting.

And thanks for the vote of confidence. :)

(p.s. I think I need to learn better how to outrun dogs, not moose!)

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:06 pm

Well Ethan Zohn's cancer has returned (one of the celebrities listed----from Survivor and the soccer player). He started another course of chemo in prep for another stem cell transplant....he still intends to run the NY Marathon...now that's somethin'

http://www.people.com/people/article/0, ... 27,00.html

All the best to Ethan...

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:22 am

I was amazed to hear Ethan still plans on running. So sad for him. He and Jenna are my favourite Survivor winners.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Cupcake Girl
Bruce Kidd

Postby Cupcake Girl » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:56 am

BTW, Apollo Ono wants to finish sub-4. If he does, Subway will donate some obscene amount of money to Special Olympics.

He's run 700 miles in training.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:12 am

Cupcake Girl wrote:BTW, Apollo Ono wants to finish sub-4. If he does, Subway will donate some obscene amount of money to Special Olympics.

That's a pretty standard amount of training for a typical first-timer's plan, which it sounds like he was following. He also ran a 1:40 half-marathon in September, so his goal sounds reasonable.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:40 am

From the video of Messier's announcement about running NYC .. I appears as if he will be running with an elite bib, with his name on the front ...

http://www.snyrangersblog.com/2011/10/15/watch-mark-messier-talks-about-running-the-nyc-marathon/
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:18 pm

Jwolf wrote:
Cupcake Girl wrote:BTW, Apollo Ono wants to finish sub-4. If he does, Subway will donate some obscene amount of money to Special Olympics.

That's a pretty standard amount of training for a typical first-timer's plan, which it sounds like he was following. He also ran a 1:40 half-marathon in September, so his goal sounds reasonable.

Yep .. $26.2K to Special Olympics donation if he runs a sub 4 hour marathon ... Though, not sure if it will be his money or that of Subway ?? :think: :think: :think:

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:11 am

Robinandamelia wrote:Well Ethan Zohn's cancer has returned (one of the celebrities listed----from Survivor and the soccer player). He started another course of chemo in prep for another stem cell transplant....he still intends to run the NY Marathon...now that's somethin'

http://www.people.com/people/article/0, ... 27,00.html

All the best to Ethan...

And, he is also running as a Guide, to a visually impaired runner, apparently ... http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-500202_162-57318423/ethan-zohn-cancer-back-still-running-marathon/

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:30 am

I love Ethan. I'll be routing for him!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:28 pm

purdy65 wrote:I love Ethan. I'll be routing for him!

Yeah me too...and the thing is, his relapsed cancer is localized around his lungs....

I didn't realize he was guiding a blind runner...that's amazing! Good luck to them both.
Last edited by Robinandamelia on Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:30 pm

Christy Turlington is running on behalf of her charity, Every Mother Counts. I read the blog dooce.com, and the blog author, Heather Armstrong will also be running (she is part of the charity foundation).

from Heather's blog:

I'll be posting updates via twitter throughout the weekend, and if you happen to be in New York along the course, look for bib number 50891. She'll be the one hobbling along, her face half eaten off, chanting, "BRAINS!"

Cupcake Girl
Bruce Kidd

Postby Cupcake Girl » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:34 pm

Gotta love Ethan for running, despite relapsing, and as a guide.

Messier said he wants to finish in 4:30. Apollo is looking for a personal goal of 3:30.

Will be PVRing the race Sunday on NBC.

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:51 pm

Cupcake Girl wrote:Gotta love Ethan for running, despite relapsing, and as a guide.

Messier said he wants to finish in 4:30. Apollo is looking for a personal goal of 3:30.

Will be PVRing the race Sunday on NBC.

Can I revise my Messier prediction? Come on, Messier, suck it up, Don't be a wimp. Go sub 4. (Yikes, someone just threw my shirt over my head, I can't see, now they are wailing on me)
2016 Races

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:05 pm

Check out this article on Lauren Fleshman's marathon debut. She is my new favourite runner- she's not only a GREAT runner, she's open and answers questions from normal people on her website, and she's really, really funny on fb and twitter. In this article, she talks about poop. To ESPN. Hehehe. She's making her marathon debut after success at the 5000m... quite the jump! I can't wait to hear how she does.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Return to “General Running Discussion”