How Will You Contribute To The Running Community In 2012?

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:43 pm

What are your plans or ideas for giving back to the running community in 2012?

Volunteering at a park cleanup day or trail building day? (Most trail builds are done by mountain bike clubs... you can probably find a local one just by googling.)
Calling your local councilor about that unlit stretch of road on a popular running route? Calling again?
Giving away your unused GPS/watches/treadmill?
Starting a running club in your neighbourhood?

What will you do to contribute in 2012?

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Re: How Will You Contribute To The Running Community In 2012

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:46 pm

I will volunteer at as many events as possible (when not racing, of course)!

I am also providing accounting expertise to a running organization..... my little bit to help out!
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

Mark.AU
Bill Crothers

Postby Mark.AU » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:11 pm

I am volunteering with a good friend in the development of a youth triathlon program for Niagara.
I'll continue to pay race entry fees even if they increase and in so doing I'll continue to feed the sport.
“We are what we think. / All that we are arises with our thoughts. / With our thoughts we make the world.” Dhammapada,

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:41 pm

Run for Reach and 9run run. Quite involved in these races, particularly the latter.
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

marymac442
Jerome Drayton

Postby marymac442 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:11 pm

Another year of supporting and encouraging new runners in their fitness challenge to run the Vancouver SunRun and hopefully start a lifelong love of running.

Support some fundraising runners as they work to support charitable causes.

Will keep my ears open for a worthy event to volunteer for.
Bonsor Breakfast Club
"It's All About the Food

2019 plans - Sun Run Clinic (as usual), make it past tax season with sanity intact, start training, Chicago Marathon !!!

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:15 pm

I will be volunteering at the goodlife Toronto marathon, and very likely leading a clinic at the Running Room!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:28 pm

one of my 2012 goals is to volunteer for (at least) 2 races. Have already emailed one to offer.

then there's always the RM stuff... gear, site problems, etc. :P
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

MrBond
Bill Crothers

Postby MrBond » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:03 pm

Volunteering for the Canada Running Series events in T.O....
"You're in over your head Donny..."

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:24 pm

Probably nothing. <--- honest dude

Well not totally true - I committed to help a local charity run set up and maybe do bike duties... so I might give back, but only because I like the RD and want to help a local race succeed. But last year I did nothing (other than pay copious amounts in race fees!) and I could see myself going back to that.

Question - when there is limited/no charity involvement, what compels people to volunteer and assist a RD in making his/her paycheque? I couldn't see myself volunteering for CRS or any of the other big organizations and just being free labour to help them rake in profit... unless there was a lot in it for a charity, or something in it for me.

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:08 pm

jonovision_man wrote:Question - when there is limited/no charity involvement, what compels people to volunteer and assist a RD in making his/her paycheque? I couldn't see myself volunteering for CRS or any of the other big organizations and just being free labour to help them rake in profit... unless there was a lot in it for a charity, or something in it for me.

jono

Races would prohibitively more expensive if there weren't volunteers. Most races simply couldn't go. I'm not saying you must do your payback and volunteer, but if you enjoy races you should at least appreciate the work volunteers do.

Race directors aren't doing it to become millionaires, but it is true that some races treat their volunteers better than others.

My personal answer: I give back to the running community by offering as much advice and support to new runners as I can, both in person and online. I also volunteer at my kids school with the T&F team. In general, though, I put my more of my volunteer efforts into other causes in which I don't get any direct benefit.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:33 pm

Jwolf wrote:
jonovision_man wrote:Question - when there is limited/no charity involvement, what compels people to volunteer and assist a RD in making his/her paycheque? I couldn't see myself volunteering for CRS or any of the other big organizations and just being free labour to help them rake in profit... unless there was a lot in it for a charity, or something in it for me.

jono

Races would prohibitively more expensive if there weren't volunteers. Most races simply couldn't go. I'm not saying you must do your payback and volunteer, but if you enjoy races you should at least appreciate the work volunteers do.

Race directors aren't doing it to become millionaires, but it is true that some races treat their volunteers better than others.

My personal answer: I give back to the running community by offering as much advice and support to new runners as I can, both in person and online. I also volunteer at my kids school with the T&F team. In general, though, I put my more of my volunteer efforts into other causes in which I don't get any direct benefit.

I understand why people do it for a local race trying to make a go of it, but I'm not clear on why one would volunteer for a mega-race with big entry fees and a huge field... it's like volunteering to work a shift at Home Depot because you like home improvement.

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:14 pm

jonovision_man wrote:
I understand why people do it for a local race trying to make a go of it

Then go for it! I mean this as a positive "you can do it!" thing, but send the email tomorrow. Find some little 100 person race in your area and help them make a go of it. I really believe that one of the healthiest advantages GTA runners have is the choice of races 40+ weekends per year. Just by helping those events exist, you're helping runners say "I'm physically ready to run in a race next week. I choose _______" instead of most areas where people say "I resolve to at some point run X km. ______ is in 6 months and I'm going to register now and run it come what may..."

Regardless of charitable intentions or advertising, any event with fewer than 300 people is going to struggle to break even let alone make a donation, so support those ones with your volunteering. (Oh and you know, come volunteer at my races too... but seriously seek out the small races that would exist or not exist based on your volunteering. Believe me, even two hours makes a world of difference.)
Last edited by dgrant on Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:15 pm

jonovision_man wrote:
Jwolf wrote:

jono

I understand why people do it for a local race trying to make a go of it, but I'm not clear on why one would volunteer for a mega-race with big entry fees and a huge field... it's like volunteering to work a shift at Home Depot because you like home improvement.

jono

I ran Boston in 2008.
Pretty hefty entry fees...big field. Lots of volunteers who seem to take pride in their "local" race :wink:

But I digress:
what am I going to do...in 2012. Most likely step away from the huge committment I've made for the past 2 years being run director for K-Town(prior to being run director I ran a water station at this race for 5 years). Having to get 80+ volunteers is a huge task and I've come to realize over Christmas that I simply don't have the energy to do this in 2012 (this is pretty much a part time job for June and July)....so...I will likely volunteer at a few local races...probably as a marshal because this is a task the RD's often have trouble recruiting for. Gee...don't know why getting yelled at by annoyed drivers is not a sought after volunteer position :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

Btw...if you can't or won't volunteer at a race in 2012...please do thank a volunteer...trust me...it makes a huge difference. :D
Last edited by Jo-Jo on Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Postby VeloCarrie » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:22 pm

I really enjoy volunteering at the Run for Reach with The RM water station as it is an organization that has helped me out in the past. I also really enjoy inspiring, encouraging and mentoring a lot of new runners at my workplace and will continue to do so in the new year.
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:24 pm

Trail Child wrote:I really enjoy volunteering at the Run for Reach with The RM water station as it is an organization that has helped me out in the past. I also really enjoy inspiring, encouraging and mentoring a lot of new runners at my workplace and will continue to do so in the new year.

I hope to run Run for Reach in 2012...I've done the 10km there a couple times...great race and a great organization!!
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:24 pm

whoops...double post

Cattitude
Bruce Kidd

Postby Cattitude » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:15 pm

I have no problem volunteering at the big races, having done IM I appreciate all the volunteers and always enjoy volunteering!!

Cattitude
Bruce Kidd

Postby Cattitude » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:15 pm

I have no problem volunteering at the big races, having done IM I appreciate all the volunteers and always enjoy volunteering!!

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:40 pm

dgrant wrote:Regardless of charitable intentions or advertising, any event with fewer than 300 people is going to struggle to break even let alone make a donation, so support those ones with your volunteering. (Oh and you know, come volunteer at my races too... but seriously seek out the small races that would exist or not exist based on your volunteering. Believe me, even two hours makes a world of difference.)

Fair enough! I can do basic math... 300 by $25 less t-shirt costs, police, etc, isn't exactly Scrooge McDuck'ing it. :wink:

jono
Visit my blog!

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:09 pm

jonovision_man wrote:
dgrant wrote:Regardless of charitable intentions or advertising, any event with fewer than 300 people is going to struggle to break even let alone make a donation, so support those ones with your volunteering. (Oh and you know, come volunteer at my races too... but seriously seek out the small races that would exist or not exist based on your volunteering. Believe me, even two hours makes a world of difference.)

Fair enough! I can do basic math... 300 by $25 less t-shirt costs, police, etc, isn't exactly Scrooge McDuck'ing it. :wink:

jono

The smaller road races especially... the cost for a permit to close a road and pay for police (which is never asked for by RDs... it's forced upon them)... I can't imagine how they make it work. Especially in this economy, where cash sponsors are virtually unheard of, except for the the megaraces who pay a year-round staff's salary to find and service such contracts. Shirts are $10-$15 apiece these days (again, for smaller races that aren't ordering 1000 at a time), portapotties are roughly $2/runner (industry standard is 1 per 50-80 runners, at $90/unit + HST), your basic bagel and banana post-race spread is $2-3/runner, prizing is anywhere from zero (this is where sponsors make a difference) to $5/runner, equipment rental (vehicles, generators, audio) for your standard midsize race is $1500-$2000, chiptiming is about $5 runner (most services charge a per entrant (not per starter or per finisher) rate plus a flat fee). That's all without having paid a permit fee, for the cops (who fall over each other to sign up to make $300 to guard a pylon for two hours), for insurance premiums ($2-$5/runner), and marketing/registration fees.

Any race with 500+ runners charging $40+ ought to be able to see black ink. But for smaller races... those ones can really only be on a year-by-year let'sseehowitgoes basis. IMHO those are the lifeblood of the sport and warrant attention when it comes to volunteering.

Half-Mary
Jerome Drayton

Postby Half-Mary » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:21 am

I'll be volunteering as a run leader with the beginner and second level clinics out of my local running store in January. I've done this in the past and really enjoyed myself. I've never volunteered at a race before, so maybe I'll change that in 2012. :think:

abirdd
Bill Crothers

Postby abirdd » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:21 am

At the tail end of 2011, I started helping with a new running group out my way. Being a rural region, it can be hard bringing other runners together - let alone getting a running event off the ground. Last night, the Smiths Falls Spring Thing Running Thing registration launched - it's going to be the first half marathon in these parts, and already the response has been wonderful :dance:

I'll also be doing some race voluteer work, along with my family - since we all had a great time helping out at various events in 2011.

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:08 am

abirdd wrote:I'll also be doing some race voluteer work, along with my family - since we all had a great time helping out at various events in 2011.

Duncan was a total star at RFR! (*)
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:30 am

dgrant wrote:
jonovision_man wrote:

jono

The smaller road races especially... the cost for a permit to close a road and pay for police (which is never asked for by RDs... it's forced upon them)... I can't imagine how they make it work. Especially in this economy, where cash sponsors are virtually unheard of, except for the the megaraces who pay a year-round staff's salary to find and service such contracts. Shirts are $10-$15 apiece these days (again, for smaller races that aren't ordering 1000 at a time), portapotties are roughly $2/runner (industry standard is 1 per 50-80 runners, at $90/unit + HST), your basic bagel and banana post-race spread is $2-3/runner, prizing is anywhere from zero (this is where sponsors make a difference) to $5/runner, equipment rental (vehicles, generators, audio) for your standard midsize race is $1500-$2000, chiptiming is about $5 runner (most services charge a per entrant (not per starter or per finisher) rate plus a flat fee). That's all without having paid a permit fee, for the cops (who fall over each other to sign up to make $300 to guard a pylon for two hours), for insurance premiums ($2-$5/runner), and marketing/registration fees.

Any race with 500+ runners charging $40+ ought to be able to see black ink. But for smaller races... those ones can really only be on a year-by-year let'sseehowitgoes basis. IMHO those are the lifeblood of the sport and warrant attention when it comes to volunteering.

That's a good summary of costs. Finisher medals and AG awards also add to costs. The costs for triathlon are even higher.

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:08 pm

Once I get back down south, I will once again be a volunteer race official with Triathlon Manitoba - I mostly volunteer for the kid's races, as I love to see them get the true joy out of the sport along with making sure that they have a safe, fun race day experience :D

I will most likely volunteer as a road marshal at a couple of road races - as Jojo said, it is a hard spot fo RD to fill and I have no problem telling driver's what to do/being bossy :lol:

Return to “General Running Discussion”