Running room group runs

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Size5
Lynn Williams

Re: Running room group runs

Postby Size5 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:54 pm

QuickChick wrote:I guess it depends on the extent to which people actually "race" their marathons. Most beginners don't start out their first few marathons feeling like they're racing. I did my first 3 with the goal of finishing, and it was more of a fun/social thing with my running group, so I pretty much ran the same way in the race as I did in my long runs. Also, sometimes that really slow pace is harder on the body than a pace that's a bit faster. I think it's important for people to run at the pace at which THEY feel relaxed. Even when I started running, going slower than about a 6:05 pace felt really awkward. If someone had "forced" me to go slower, I would've gotten really frustrated (and probably injured).

Oh I agree. there is a sweet spot. Too fast or too slow are both very hard.

It was good for me to push. I'll try the pace again on fresher legs and see how it feels. Next week is 16 km.

The concept of "racing" vs just running your regular LSD pace is a difficult thing to grasp and is a more experienced runner concept IMHO, especially to pace over a longer period of time.
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Running room group runs

Postby Jwolf » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:04 pm

Bossy clinic leaders drive me nuts. Krista- I know what you mean about people spouting off about scientific things when they have little knowledge. :evil: The marathon clinic leader at the RR I go to is the opposite of bossy and I like that.

6:00-6:30/km is definitely too fast for some of those slower marathoners who are going to be finishing in 4:45 or over 5 hours. But if you can find a group that goes a reasonable pace and it's enjoyable, then it can be a fun way to get in the miles. You don't really have to worry about the slower people- maybe they'll just break off into their own group (although really the clinic leader should guide them). I would just avoid talking about training or anything controversial like religion or politics. ;)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:24 pm

So, you going tomorrow morning for another round with Miss Bossy Pants?
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:36 pm

Habs4ever wrote:So, you going tomorrow morning for another round with Miss Bossy Pants?

:lol:

Size5
Lynn Williams

Postby Size5 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:31 pm

Samantha wrote:
Habs4ever wrote:So, you going tomorrow morning for another round with Miss Bossy Pants?

:lol:

I actually really wanted to go tomorrow but I've got company coming so, no Miss Bossy Pants. Maybe I should point her over to RM to join up :lol: :twisted:
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

Squish
Johnny Miles

Postby Squish » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:34 pm

Does anybody know if any of the RR groups do NOT do 10/1s? I just moved to a new city, so I'm trying desperately to meet running people and find a group to do my long runs with as I train for the Ottawa half. There was quite a lot of people doing the same distance as me today, and a fair number training for the same half as me, but everyone does 10/1s. It's like they are brainwashed into 10/1s :o . I prefer to train continuous and run my halfs continuous. I tried to not stop today but everyone kept telling me to walk, walk, walk! It got to a point where I was just laughing at the comedy of it all. I thought I got away with not stopping once but a few women a few 100 feet ahead of me turned around and caught me running. It was like I was a kid caught with her hand in the cookie jar :naughty: . I really enjoyed the group, but I don't want to mess up the way I run a race by training with 10/1s. *sigh*
Squish's 2014 Plan:
ATB 5K - March 30
Pittsburgh 5K - May 3
Guelph Lake I Sprint Triathlon - June 22
Peterborough Sprint Triathlon - July 6
Iron Girl Canada Triathlon - August 10
Guelph Lake II Sprint Triathlon - Aug 30

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:59 pm

Squish wrote:Does anybody know if any of the RR groups do NOT do 10/1s? I just moved to a new city, so I'm trying desperately to meet running people and find a group to do my long runs with as I train for the Ottawa half. There was quite a lot of people doing the same distance as me today, and a fair number training for the same half as me, but everyone does 10/1s. It's like they are brainwashed into 10/1s :o . I prefer to train continuous and run my halfs continuous. I tried to not stop today but everyone kept telling me to walk, walk, walk! It got to a point where I was just laughing at the comedy of it all. I thought I got away with not stopping once but a few women a few 100 feet ahead of me turned around and caught me running. It was like I was a kid caught with her hand in the cookie jar :naughty: . I really enjoyed the group, but I don't want to mess up the way I run a race by training with 10/1s. *sigh*

This made me laugh because I've had this happen to me as well - getting "caught" running through walk breaks. It was funny because I wasn't running with the running room at the time, just running in their general vicinity. When the clinic leader calls a walk break, EVERYBODY WALKS.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:01 pm

are there any non-RR running stores in your area? They are less likely to be brainwashed with 10:1s. :)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:07 pm

I've run with the RR where they get stopped at a stop light at 7 minutes, wait for the stop light, run, and take their walk break still @ 10 minutes. Or they finish a 10 minute about 3 minutes from the store, and STILL walk. It does work for a lot of people, but I agree, it doesn't work for me.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Running room group runs

Postby VeloCarrie » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:19 pm

Anyone in Ottawa know what other run clubs are downtown? I was telling someone about run club groups (she wants to run with other people to keep motivated during the winter) and she doesn't want to run 10:1s and didn't like the RR "atmosphere." I told her there was another RR at Slater, but I didn't know if Sports4 on Bank had a run group and I haven't heard anything about the Lulu run group out of Rideau.
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:23 pm

purdy65 wrote:I've run with the RR where they get stopped at a stop light at 7 minutes, wait for the stop light, run, and take their walk break still @ 10 minutes. Or they finish a 10 minute about 3 minutes from the store, and STILL walk. It does work for a lot of people, but I agree, it doesn't work for me.

THIS. On more than one occasion I've seen a pace group take a walk break within sight of the finish line of a race, or within a few yards of a water station.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Running room group runs

Postby Jwolf » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:24 pm

I've seen/run with leaders like that and it drives me nuts. I went to the RR again with my very low key group and it was great. No bossy leaders, no crazy stopping. Yes we did the 10-and-1s and it was just what I needed.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:29 pm

Trail Child wrote:Anyone in Ottawa know what other run clubs are downtown? I was telling someone about run club groups (she wants to run with other people to keep motivated during the winter) and she doesn't want to run 10:1s and didn't like the RR "atmosphere." I told her there was another RR at Slater, but I didn't know if Sports4 on Bank had a run group and I haven't heard anything about the Lulu run group out of Rideau.

The Ottawa Running Club, http://www.ottawarunningclub.com/ , is a grass-roots, non-profit Club ... It is associated with the Ottawa Triathlon Club, if I recall ...
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:46 pm

Squish wrote:Does anybody know if any of the RR groups do NOT do 10/1s? I just moved to a new city, so I'm trying desperately to meet running people and find a group to do my long runs with as I train for the Ottawa half. There was quite a lot of people doing the same distance as me today, and a fair number training for the same half as me, but everyone does 10/1s. It's like they are brainwashed into 10/1s :o . I prefer to train continuous and run my halfs continuous. I tried to not stop today but everyone kept telling me to walk, walk, walk! It got to a point where I was just laughing at the comedy of it all. I thought I got away with not stopping once but a few women a few 100 feet ahead of me turned around and caught me running. It was like I was a kid caught with her hand in the cookie jar :naughty: . I really enjoyed the group, but I don't want to mess up the way I run a race by training with 10/1s. *sigh*

There used to be a running store (10 years ago when I lived there) downtown. I know they had run clinics...maybe give them a call? I ran with them a few times, but I don't remember if they did 10:1s.

I found the website: http://www.therunningworks.com/

I miss Guelph!
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Running room group runs

Postby VeloCarrie » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:02 pm

HCcD wrote:
Trail Child wrote:Anyone in Ottawa know what other run clubs are downtown? I was telling someone about run club groups (she wants to run with other people to keep motivated during the winter) and she doesn't want to run 10:1s and didn't like the RR "atmosphere." I told her there was another RR at Slater, but I didn't know if Sports4 on Bank had a run group and I haven't heard anything about the Lulu run group out of Rideau.

The Ottawa Running Club, http://www.ottawarunningclub.com/ , is a grass-roots, non-profit Club ... It is associated with the Ottawa Triathlon Club, if I recall ...

I knew about the Ottawa Running Club, but Westboro is not downtown. She is looking for something central, but thanks!
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:14 pm

There's the Ottawa Running Club Andy mentioned - they run out of the Bridgeheads on Wellington (marathon from one store and other distances from the other), plus a group in New Edinborough (sp). I think their main focus is the weekend group, but I believe some people get together for week day runs.

There's also the Run Ottawa Club (runottawaclub.ca) - this is the group I run with. We have a Tuesday night group from the Arboretum for speedwork/hills - this is the main training focus. There's also a smaller group that does tempos on Thursday from Bushtukah in Westboro and long runs along the canal on Sunday. Focus is marathoners and half marathoners.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:54 pm

So, I'm going to "stick up for the RR" here....

Their training philosophy is 10 and 1's. Of course they are going to train 10 and 1's - they've built an empire on that.

As for the walking before or after a light. This may sound silly - but, it's all about the watch - you want to stay on walking on the beeps, it just makes life easier if you're a group leader so that people don't complain.

Yes, sometimes, I would skip a walk here or there if we literally stood at the light for 2 minutes, but, sometimes, that allowed some people to regroup, and, then, they'd miss their walk break if we skipped ours.

Also, I actually instruct a lot of my clinic members to run through the early water stations, since they are often packed, since we train with water belts, we usually race with them.

Finally......I also recommend people take their last walk break even if the store is in sight - it's not about finishing your long training run hard and fast. It's about finishing your run feeling good...and ready to run again on Tuesday. Does that walk break 300 m from the store really make your run less good? If you don't want to walk then - then, keep going....but, don't get annoyed that you got ahead of the group.

....removing RR group leader/instructor hat now.
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

Squish
Johnny Miles

Postby Squish » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:05 pm

There is another running store in the city, which I LOVE (and a fellow maniac works there). They do their long runs Saturday morning, but no one there is targetting Ottawa. Most of them are training for the Chilly half or ATB. Also, my dh is training for ATB, and this running store has a nice, fast group training for that race, so he is now going to that group and I am at home with our 5 year old on Saturday mornings. Unfortunately one of us needs to stay home because it is hard to find a babysitter at 7:30 am on a Saturday morning :cry: .

I did ask the group around if there was any group who didn't do the walk breaks, and it was unheard of! Imagine! I'm glad that others can see the humour as I do.
Squish's 2014 Plan:
ATB 5K - March 30
Pittsburgh 5K - May 3

Squish
Johnny Miles

Postby Squish » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:07 pm

Oh and I am totally sorry if it appears that I am bashing the RR. I do respect what they have done for running in Canada. I was totally in that boat several years ago, where that type of training was exactly what I needed when I got back into running. But the run/walk unfortunately doesn't work for me any more. I am just sad that I haven't been able to find a running group suitable for my training needs yet.
Squish's 2014 Plan:
ATB 5K - March 30
Pittsburgh 5K - May 3

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Running room group runs

Postby Jwolf » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:09 pm

Irongirl wrote:So, I'm going to "stick up for the RR" here....

Their training philosophy is 10 and 1's. Of course they are going to train 10 and 1's - they've built an empire on that.

As for the walking before or after a light. This may sound silly - but, it's all about the watch - you want to stay on walking on the beeps, it just makes life easier if you're a group leader so that people don't complain.

Yes, sometimes, I would skip a walk here or there if we literally stood at the light for 2 minutes, but, sometimes, that allowed some people to regroup, and, then, they'd miss their walk break if we skipped ours.

Also, I actually instruct a lot of my clinic members to run through the early water stations, since they are often packed, since we train with water belts, we usually race with them.

Finally......I also recommend people take their last walk break even if the store is in sight - it's not about finishing your long training run hard and fast. It's about finishing your run feeling good...and ready to run again on Tuesday. Does that walk break 300 m from the store really make your run less good? If you don't want to walk then - then, keep going....but, don't get annoyed that you got ahead of the group.

....removing RR group leader/instructor hat now.

good post Irongirl.

In general I think most of the group leaders/instructors do a good job with sticking with the Running Room philosophy and making it a good experience for the whole group. Sometimes this means compromise if you run with the group and aren't used to the walk breaks. If you don't like them, then you don't have to join the group. I do think it goes a bit overboard, though, when the group leader is YELLING at the participants to slow down or walk. But in their defense, perhaps they think that their "walk" wasn't heard and they are yelling it louder.

I will also go out on a limb and say for most of us, it will make very little difference in your race whether you train with 10-and-1's in your long runs versus straight running. There is a pace group of 3:30-marathoners (mostly women) that I'd love to be able to keep up with on long runs, but I can't. I'm not going to try to tell them that they'd be faster if they didn't use 10-and-1s. :)

getfit
Jerome Drayton

Postby getfit » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:26 pm

In my RR clinic group training for Chilly and ATB we seem to have a combination of people doing 10&1's or straight through. I was running with one of the guys from my previous clinic this morning and when our first walk break came up he said he's running straight through now. So a few of us took our walk break and he kept going. We eventually caught up with him and ran with him for a bit until our next walk break. I know what you mean about people yelling out walk break though :lol: In our group we usually get to know which people choose to take breaks and which ones don't. We always do our mid-week training runs without walk breaks.
"I'm not sufficiently organized or ambitious to do all the things you're supposed to do if you're serious. The more time you spend fiddlediddling with this and that, the less time there is to run." ED WHITLOCK

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:48 pm

Perhaps it depends, also, on whether or not you're training with a clinic or just showing up to run. Our RR has many groups that don't do 10 and 1's, mostly groups who run 3:45 marathons or faster. They're not part of clinics, though, they just show up to run on Sun/Wed. I think the clinic groups are a bit more regimented. I'm glad that there are great people at our RR to run with. The group I run with (not a clinic) pushes me all the time, and they're truly great women. The others I know there, who I don't necessarily run with, are all really accepting of newcomers and nice as well. It is almost always easier to do a long run with company, so if you can run with people who suit your personality/training philosophy, I think the group atmosphere at whatever RR you go to can be very positive.

HOWEVER... I would absolutely NOT run with our RR if there weren't people who had moved past their running philosophy. The RR formula works for them, and it works for beginner runners, and many others too. It gets more people out there, gets people to enjoy running, and keeps people active, and that's great. I think I'd be stressed as all he** about running at ALL, though, if I thought it was necessary to always walk at the beep, even on a downhill or near the finish line (!!!) or just after a light, and if I thought I should always have food/water with me, or if I wanted to stretch out a bit and someone yelled to slow down. :? I find a lot of the RR philosophy turns running into something that's much more complicated than it needs to be, and discourages the desire to be competitive and push yourself.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Squish
Johnny Miles

Postby Squish » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:03 pm

Do you think I can run continuous with that running group? I don't want to be disrespectful of the way they train, but I really did enjoy the group today. I was middle of the pack, which was spread out over about 2 km, so if I kept running then I'd likely always have someone around. I just don't want anyone po'd that I come out for group run but do my own thing, KWIM? For you RR group runners, would it bother you if someone kept running through the walk breaks?
Squish's 2014 Plan:
ATB 5K - March 30
Pittsburgh 5K - May 3

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:25 pm

Squish wrote:Do you think I can run continuous with that running group? I don't want to be disrespectful of the way they train, but I really did enjoy the group today. I was middle of the pack, which was spread out over about 2 km, so if I kept running then I'd likely always have someone around. I just don't want anyone po'd that I come out for group run but do my own thing, KWIM? For you RR group runners, would it bother you if someone kept running through the walk breaks?

I've been in groups like that (back when I did 10 and 1s), and the person would just run slowly during our walk break and we'd catch up, or he'd loop back around. IMHO, that'd get rather annoying for the person doing it, but not for the rest of the group. Never bothered me anyway.
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:41 pm

as the group leader/instructor, I think I'd be totally okay with that, especially if you mentioned it to me at the beginning of the run so that I didn't yell at you. ;)
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

Return to “General Running Discussion”