Oh my aching body! Runners with physical jobs??

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

TriJenn
Bill Crothers

Postby TriJenn » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:44 pm

I used to work a nice desk job and would have pretty fresh legs when I got to doing my runs/bikes etc. I'm back at school now and I am working part time at the big Ikea so my job is much more physical than before and Holy Carp, I am having major troubles with my training.

Because I am on my feet all day, I am tired at the end of my shift and when I do have the energy to run, it feels laboured and not good at all. Last week, I did run on my day off and I felt like a gazelle!

So, how do you runners with physical jobs do it? Is this just something you get used to? I have goals that I want to meet this year but I am having a hard time with my energy levels and also the results of being on my feet all day- like a sore back and tender tootsies!

Thanks guys!
Jen
Starbucks Coffee Cup Wisdom
“The irony of commitment is that it’s deeply liberating – in work, in play, in love. The act frees you from the tyranny of your internal critic, from the fear that likes to dress itself up and parade around as rational hesitation. To commit is to remove your head as the barrier to your life”

jes
Jerome Drayton

Re: Oh my aching body! Runners with physical jobs??

Postby jes » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:09 pm

TriJenn wrote:I used to work a nice desk job and would have pretty fresh legs when I got to doing my runs/bikes etc. I'm back at school now and I am working part time at the big Ikea so my job is much more physical than before and Holy Carp, I am having major troubles with my training.

Because I am on my feet all day, I am tired at the end of my shift and when I do have the energy to run, it feels laboured and not good at all. Last week, I did run on my day off and I felt like a gazelle!

So, how do you runners with physical jobs do it? Is this just something you get used to? I have goals that I want to meet this year but I am having a hard time with my energy levels and also the results of being on my feet all day- like a sore back and tender tootsies!

Thanks guys!
Jen

No idea, as I have a desk job, but I just want to say, wow! Cool job!!! How many km to you think you walk during a shift? That place is massive!!
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

Equinox
Tom Longboat

Postby Equinox » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:19 pm

on my part...I would say you somewhat get use to it....I used to work Security at the National Gallery standing up and walking a lot for 12 hrs..so at the end of the day my legs were a bit tired but managed to work out ....but at that time I wasn't training for long running distance.....but managed to get pretty active...but in my case getting older so....not sure I would have the same energy and legs in shape today just like back in the day.....

Just like when I used to party on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday and that with only a few hours of sleep I would still be good to go the next day....well not anymore....not 18 yrs old anymore...hahaha

:)
National Capital 10k, Army run half marathon
Winterman marathon relay, ING Ottawa 10k, Quebec City Marathon 10k, 9 run run Half
Warriordash, 9 run run 10 k,
Physio Run Ottawa, Spartan Race Ottawa, Bushtaka race, Army Run, 9 run run

Spartan Race- June
Army run- September
9 run run -October

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:21 pm

Can you run / bike in the morning before work? I don't have a physical job, but I find this helps just with being tired at the end of the day in general.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

TriJenn
Bill Crothers

Postby TriJenn » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:25 pm

scrumhalfgirl wrote:Can you run / bike in the morning before work? I don't have a physical job, but I find this helps just with being tired at the end of the day in general.

I think this is what I am going to have to do, Jessie! I don't start until at least 9:45 and my daughter leaves for school at 8:15 so there is some time in there..

Jess- I am on cash, so there isn't a ton of walking, mostly standing, but that can be worse. If I am on the self check out, i am on concrete but there are anti-fatigue mats on the regular cash lanes. I should put a pedometer on..

Hopefully I will get used to this! I have a year before I will be back as a cube dweller!

Jenn
“The irony of commitment is that it’s deeply liberating – in work, in play, in love. The act frees you from the tyranny of your internal critic, from the fear that likes to dress itself up and parade around as rational hesitation. To commit is to remove your head as the barrier to your life”

Jump145
Bruce Kidd

Postby Jump145 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:46 pm

Having good shoes, or in my case workboots, makes all the difference in how tired you feel at the end of the day.

I find having some downtime after work before running helps, being able to sit around reading RM for an hour after getting home makes a huge difference in my weeknight runs.

If you can, try morning runs, my schedule doesn't allow it or I would try it myself.

Almost 8pm, and time for me to get 10k on the books. :)
No Penguins were harmed in the making of this post

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:49 pm

When I worked in daycare, it was very physically draining. But in a different way from running since it wasn't aerobically taxing. I found that just getting out the door was the hard part, but I would often run earlier to get it done.

That said, I definitely needed more sleep when I was working there full time. :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Postby VeloCarrie » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:09 pm

The secret is to wear appropriate footwear for your job (and NOT running shoes). I would suggest looking into shoes we nurses wear or chef shoes. They are constructed for long, physical hours on your feet that properly support your feet, legs and back and you can get them with foot protection and non-slip soles.
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:53 pm

You'll get used to it. You're not working muscles that will cause your running to be more difficult. I could see your job impacting your running if you were, I don't know, a letter carrier or something where you were covering lots of ground all day. Standing SUCKS, but mostly because your muscles are like "just let me MOVE already!". Yes, you're tired- I hear you. I teach little kids, and teaching isn't a physical job, IMO. Some would say it is- yes I'm on my feet all day and moving all day, but I wouldn't say teaching keeps me in any way physically fit. I'm tired at the end of the day, but more tired at the start of the year (when I'm not used to it). I'm definitely more mentally tired than physically tired. Think of people who worked on farms and won world cross country titles, and Bill Rodgers and Grete Waitz who were teachers, running before and after work (close to 100 miles a week). People have successfully run while working in the military, roofing, digging ditches... the body adapts. You'll get used to it. Hang in there. Get some good shoes and good luck!
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Annelizabeth
Bruce Kidd

Postby Annelizabeth » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:27 am

Actually I wear running shoes to work in ER all day and I can not imagine wearing anything else... so use what works for you.

For me it is a mental game. Basically, i just have the mentallity as soon as I get home GET IT DONE.

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:49 am

Yeah me too- if I wait too long, inertia sets in and I just stay put. :lol: I love running home from work- I'll think I have NO energy at the end of the day, but BOOM when I get out there, somehow it comes together. Or if I run at home after school (most days this is the case) I have to go sometime before about 7pm, that seems to be about the inertia line. I could just as easily run before school but I would rather have the hour of sleep in the morning, and I am sloooooowwwww in the morning. :)

Keep at it!
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

TriJenn
Bill Crothers

Postby TriJenn » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:13 pm

Thanks for the input everyone!! Glad to hear that others have had the same experience, and can still get er done. :)

Cheers!
Jenn

Return to “General Running Discussion”