Ottawa Winterman Revisited

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

joe
Bill Crothers

Re: Ottawa Winterman Revisited

Postby joe » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:07 pm

mas_runner wrote:Somersault really outdid themselves in chaotic organization this year.

The lineup for chips was very long and we stood and froze while the chip distributers dithered. Then as I am getting ready to line up I hear about a course change from last year, could they not have put that in the e-mail they sent out so we were all on the same page and mentally ready for it.

The change they made was ridiculous, they had everyone start at the same time (as usual), but they had the 5 and 10km runners head to Tunneys Pasture for the turn around and the HM and M runners continue on 550m and 1.1km respectively before turning around and THEN into Tunney's Pasture, the result, 100s of faster runners in the M and HM ended up behind slower running 5km and 10km runners, it was like hitting a wall, I dodge and ducked and slipped though best I could and nearly fell twice. Others were not so courtious and were just barrelling through the slow runners (typical dickhead jock types - the barrellers not the slow ones). Not fun at all for them to feel pressured like that and then knocked out of the way, not good for faster runners to stop and duck and dive.

Whatever posessed somersault to a) make this change and b) to keep it secret until just before the race is beyond me.

What was wrong with doing the final loop at the end when only the HM and M runners are left on the course?

Send Christine an email, with Terry out ill, she's been doing basically everything... We talked about that today, and she is looking for constructive suggestions, and ideas for improvement, and trust me, she will address them!
Race Photos: http://www.zoomphoto.ca (Ask me about the RM Coupon!)

joe
Bill Crothers

Postby joe » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:09 pm

mas_runner wrote:
jes wrote:Amazing result Andrea! (even if they don't get it fixed, we know you did it!)

Oh and a big pat on the back to your photographers today. Utter proffesionals IMO, you could see them moving about trying to get great shots with interesting backgrounds, calling out to runners they were photographing etc...very impressed

Oh, and thanks! Jes just passed this note on to me, which I forwarded on to my boys (Bill and Henrik) working today. We had over a dozen folks working this weekend at various races, and I like to pass on compliments when they come in!
Race Photos: http://www.zoomphoto.ca (Ask me about the RM Coupon!)

5km
Bill Crothers

Postby 5km » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:25 pm

DJHL wrote:
abirdd wrote:Crossed at 1:31, a tear and vomit worthy moment. Then I leared my chip times were wonky. I know I finished the first 6.1K at 24:39, and the balance of the 5K loops at 21/22 based on the mat clock. Was told to visit the SportStats van, my data was immediately reviewed, and the problem is being corrected.

Added bonus: Turns out one of the guys behind me confirmed he was on my tail the entire race. He could describe when I sped up, stopped momentarily to massage my knee, and burned it to the finish. Um, yah... who knew a running stalker would come in handy :lol:

So, while more corrections to others are still being done - it looks like I ended up in 13th overall, with a 2nd woman, and 1st in age.

Wow - congratulations on a fantastic result and the placings. Let's hope those timings get fixed.

Like he said.

gnu
Jerome Drayton

Postby gnu » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:41 pm

mas_runner wrote:
Whatever posessed somersault to a) make this change and b) to keep it secret until just before the race is beyond me.

I didn't think it was a secret - this is the first time I have done this race so I had never seen the route before, and I remember thinking when I signed up in the fall - "gee I am glad the extra 1.1 is on the first lap and not at the end!" - is it possible that you just didn't notice?

I do think it is silly that they don't allow chip pick up at kit pick up though - why have advance kit pick up as an option then have everyone line up a second time - outside no less - for chips?

Overall though, I thought the race was well organized (of course, as a slower runner I didn't notice the issues with rejoining the route ;) )

And sorry Mr. Kelodie!! :lol:

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:01 pm

Sorry I missed you guys on the course (because I stayed inside and slept in instead...). I am SO proud of you Andrea!!!! You rock!!

Congratulations to all of you :D
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

mas_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby mas_runner » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:28 pm

gnu wrote:
I didn't think it was a secret - this is the first time I have done this race so I had never seen the route before, and I remember thinking when I signed up in the fall - "gee I am glad the extra 1.1 is on the first lap and not at the end!" - is it possible that you just didn't notice?

I looked again at the e-mail they sent and no mention of a change in the course. Then I checked the website and buried in there near the end they mention it, but not as a change, so I would have skimmed past it. As a teacher I know that if you change something that people are used to, you mention it first, and in big flashing letters or people don't notice. Even then, 50% won't notice.
PBs
5th Sep 2015 - Run Ottawa free 5km - 21:05
21st Jun 2015 - UR 4 Men's Cancers 10km - 45:45
16th Jun 2013 - UR 4 Men's Cancers 15km - 1:11:44
16th Apr 2016 - MEC 10 miler - 1:20:21
12th Apr 2015 - EY R4R Half Marathon - 1:41:15
26th May 2013 - Ottawa Marathon - 3:43:51

2017 races - coming up
7th May - Defi Entreprise 10km
28th May - Ottawa Half Marathon
17th Sep - Army Run Half Marathon

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:52 pm

mas_runner wrote:
gnu wrote:

I looked again at the e-mail they sent and no mention of a change in the course. Then I checked the website and buried in there near the end they mention it, but not as a change, so I would have skimmed past it. As a teacher I know that if you change something that people are used to, you mention it first, and in big flashing letters or people don't notice. Even then, 50% won't notice.

I also didn't know about the change in course BUT as a slower runner I really enjoyed doing the extra km at the beginning too. Last year going out for that little extra lap sucked. But we didn't feel that bottleneck you faster runners had. I guess they will have to figure out if they can get 5K-10K runners to start a bit later too. That would stop the congestion at the beginning of the race. The path is a bit narrow for all thos people going down the water station.
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

mas_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby mas_runner » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:16 pm

Dr. S wrote:
I also didn't know about the change in course BUT as a slower runner I really enjoyed doing the extra km at the beginning too. Last year going out for that little extra lap sucked. But we didn't feel that bottleneck you faster runners had. I guess they will have to figure out if they can get 5K-10K runners to start a bit later too. That would stop the congestion at the beginning of the race. The path is a bit narrow for all thos people going down the water station.

It would be fine for the slower HMers and Mers, but the 30+ minute 5kmers and 1:00+ 10kmers ended up being ahead of 1:45 Hmers on the narrowest part of the course, was a bit dangerous and not fun for either group of runners.
PBs

2017 races - coming up

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:24 pm

gnu wrote:

I do think it is silly that they don't allow chip pick up at kit pick up though - why have advance kit pick up as an option then have everyone line up a second time - outside no less - for chips?

Because the timing company is completely separate from Somersault? What race gives you your chip in advance (except for the big ones with disposable chips)?
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

ceileigh
Bill Crothers

Postby ceileigh » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:25 pm

abirdd wrote:Crossed at 1:31, a tear and vomit worthy moment. Then I leared my chip times were wonky. I know I finished the first 6.1K at 24:39, and the balance of the 5K loops at 21/22 based on the mat clock. Was told to visit the SportStats van, my data was immediately reviewed, and the problem is being corrected.

Added bonus: Turns out one of the guys behind me confirmed he was on my tail the entire race. He could describe when I sped up, stopped momentarily to massage my knee, and burned it to the finish. Um, yah... who knew a running stalker would come in handy :lol:

So, while more corrections to others are still being done - it looks like I ended up in 13th overall, with a 2nd woman, and 1st in age.

They still list you as a DQ ... any word on fixing it! Personally I think the problem is you were so blistering fast the chip went into shock :D

mas_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby mas_runner » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:32 pm

ceileigh wrote:
They still list you as a DQ ... any word on fixing it! Personally I think the problem is you were so blistering fast the chip went into shock :D

Maybe DQ means they will treat her to a "dairy queen" once they sort it out....
PBs

2017 races - coming up

ceileigh
Bill Crothers

Postby ceileigh » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:35 pm

mas_runner wrote:
ceileigh wrote:

Or maybe it means she is 'da Queen!"

abirdd
Bill Crothers

Postby abirdd » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:57 am

ceileigh wrote:
mas_runner wrote:
ceileigh wrote:

Or maybe it means she is 'da Queen!"

SS was closed for Family Day, but I did hear from them - it's in the queue :D

After listening to a guy yell at the SS staff, I came home and thought about technology: it's not perfect. I think changing my chip data on-site was a mistake, I should have waited it out. Everyone was rushing, awards needed to be done - and people were stressed. My gut is telling me when the changes were made on the fly, it should have been a 1:41. A 1:41 matches up to my regular weekend long runs ranges with Piko pup.

If I have to stay in DQ status, or go back to a 00:00:00 as my time, so be it. I'll be back out at Winterman 2013 to do it all over again!

Oh ya, we'll also be having a DQ cake for Duncan's birthday in a couple weekends - maybe this was my reminder to get it ordered :lol:
Last edited by abirdd on Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

ceileigh
Bill Crothers

Postby ceileigh » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:01 am

You are still 'da Queen' and entitled to eat DQ too :D :D

abirdd
Bill Crothers

Postby abirdd » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:20 am

jes wrote:
gnu wrote:I do think it is silly that they don't allow chip pick up at kit pick up though - why have advance kit pick up as an option then have everyone line up a second time - outside no less - for chips?

Because the timing company is completely separate from Somersault? What race gives you your chip in advance (except for the big ones with disposable chips)?

I was thinking about this - a lot of smaller races are now using the disposable shoe or bib MyLaps chips. Think Bush Canada Day, 9RunRun, Rattle, Midsummer, etc. I am curious if Somersault could do the same for their larger races (like Winterman), or does it become a challenge since they offer Race Day Registration?

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:25 am

abirdd wrote:
jes wrote:
gnu wrote:I do think it is silly that they don't allow chip pick up at kit pick up though - why have advance kit pick up as an option then have everyone line up a second time - outside no less - for chips?

I was thinking about this - a lot of smaller races are now using the disposable shoe or bib MyLaps chips. Think Bush Canada Day, 9RunRun, Rattle, Midsummer, etc. I am curious if Somersault could do the same for their larger races (like Winterman), or does it become a challenge since they offer Race Day Registration?

Interesting, as I was talking to Joe about this last year, and was told that it was SS's decision on what system that they eventually used, and not really the call of the Race Director, if I recall correctly ... :think: :think: :think:

The velcro straps, that is the reusable one's, would require that SS be at the race kit pick-up to give them out, which would be an additional cost for labour, etc ... And, if the participant, either loses it or forgets to bring it to the race, it could cause a lot of other confusion, and there is also a $40.00 Charge, if the Chip is Lost and/or Not Returned, to the participant ...
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:32 am

abirdd wrote: it should have been a 1:41. A 1:41 matches up to my regular weekend long runs ranges with Piko pup.

Did you not wear a Garmin?
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.
If you have the time please read my participation page and consider a donation.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:02 am

Strider wrote:
abirdd wrote: it should have been a 1:41. A 1:41 matches up to my regular weekend long runs ranges with Piko pup.

I believe that you were the one who told her to leave her Garmin at home on race day, Strider .... :shock: :lol: :wink: :shifty: :oops: :oops:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

abirdd
Bill Crothers

Postby abirdd » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:46 pm

HCcD wrote:
Strider wrote:

I believe that you were the one who told her to leave her Garmin at home on race day, Strider .... :shock: :lol: :wink: :shifty: :oops: :oops:

What lesson has Strider and Andy been trying to teach me? Ditch the Garmin and run!! Think back to Carleton Place 2011 Strider - you were right, I was turning into a slave to the watch :( At the time I never saw it, but in hindsight...
You can read about it here: http://www.ourbirdhouse.ca/back-on-track/

My 2012 goal was to stop paying attention to my arm, and listen to my body. I did have my watch on me, not turned on. After talking with Somersault and SS today - my position is to defer to the chip data, since I honestly respect SS and their ability to time events. I know I ran the four loops, and I refuse to get into a slump over numbers. If it means a DQ, I'll accept it. I'll keep running, go to races, and just masking tape up my Garmin 8) And as I told Christine, I want the medal/layard/blanket to go back, otherwise I am left with unresolved feelings.

eta: A couple Maniacs also mentioned I needed to stop staring looking at the watch, and just run by effort. Not saying it's just Andy and Strider, before you jump on me for leaving you out :wink:

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:59 pm

abirdd wrote:eta: A couple Maniacs also mentioned I needed to stop staring looking at the watch, and just run by effort. Not saying it's just Andy and Strider, before you jump on me for leaving you out :wink:

Run with it on but turn off the 1K lap notification and turn it upside down or leave it in a pocket. That's what I did for Vancouver (sub-2 hour by feel) and my HIM run. I love running by feel. For the longer stuff, you can keep the "FEED ME" notification on though. :D
Carm

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:32 pm

abirdd wrote:

If I have to stay in DQ status, or go back to a 00:00:00 as my time, so be it. I'll be back out at Winterman 2013 to do it all over again!

That is a good mindset to have. I had a chip issue a couple years ago with SS at NCM. I sent them my garmin data and the links to the pictures of me during the race and crossing the finish line. It was a no go for me. My chip didn't register across the mats and there was nothing they could do.

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:15 pm

Just bad luck that you happened to not be self-timing for that race (though I agree there are good reasons to run that way sometimes). It would seem logical that the 1:31 they have for you is a time after crossing the mat to begin Lap4, so it would appear the mat just didn't pick you up at the very end. The race director can definitely have Sportstats add you to the official results (I've done it dozens of times, when it doesn't affect prizing), but of course only when you give them a time to go on.

If you know you were there and completed the race like everyone else, I think you should keep the memorabilia. The timing result is only a small aspect of your raceday experience. :D

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Ottawa Winterman Revisited

Postby Kelodie » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:22 pm

abirdd wrote:
jes wrote:

My guess is that because their main business is triathlons and disposable chips don't work so well for triathlons.
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
"Have a little faith in yourself and watch the magic begin" - Ironboy

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11
Ottawa Race Weekend 10K, May 24

mas_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby mas_runner » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:04 pm

Andrea, you defintely crossed the line at 1:31

I looked at the finish line video zoomphoto e-mailed me and moved it back 16 minutes and you (#104) appear in screen at 30:40ish and cross the line at 30:51, the next guy to cross the line is #148 at 31:46 in the video, his final race time was 1:32:28 and you finished about a minute ahead of him.

If you are certain you did 4 laps then your race time was 1:31:33 and can't possibly have been 1:41 (as you crossed the line at 1:31 - gun time).

Hope that helps you.
PBs

2017 races - coming up

abirdd
Bill Crothers

Postby abirdd » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:50 pm

Kelodie wrote:
abirdd wrote:
jes wrote:

My guess is that because their main business is triathlons and disposable chips don't work so well for triathlons.

Valid point, I forgot about the triathlons aspect. I guess it does make the disposable chips a moot point. Oh well, was worth considering, if only for a moment!

Return to “General Running Discussion”