Garmin support (Raytech?)

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Garmin support (Raytech?)

Postby Jwolf » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:23 pm

You can actually get a heart rate monitor receiver that plugs into the iPhone. Not sure about android. But then there's the battery issue too.

Id love it if my iPhone could replace my garmin- it's already replaced my iPod. :) But the GPS data just isn't as good as the watches yet- not enough data sampling.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Re: Garmin support (Raytech?)

Postby Double Bellybuster » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:19 pm

Double Bellybuster wrote:Vinegar on a cloth restores tarnished coins, including copper and is likely appropriate for these copper contacts.

I don't think this did it. The battery charged fully from dead in just a few minutes, seems like limited capacity in its current state.

jonovision_man wrote:
Jwolf wrote: The Garmin 10 is similar as a very simple watch for measuring basic distance and pace. The only thing I missed was being able to see my current lap time (I could see pace and distance but not time). But for many people it would be more than adequate.

No lap pace, no heart rate ... blech.

I may look the 10 up, though I imagine I will choose more features. But I am OK with no lap pace as long as I have autolap popups. A bare bones watch could potentially do the trick since these watches start failing within a year for me and since I sweat on the device and spill Gatorade all over it.

Jwolf wrote:You can actually get a heart rate monitor receiver that plugs into the iPhone. Not sure about android. But then there's the battery issue too.

I'd love it if my iPhone could replace my garmin- it's already replaced my iPod. :) But the GPS data just isn't as good as the watches yet- not enough data sampling.

I carry an iPhone 5 for business purposes. The battery is bad enough that I minimize use of the phone when away from a charger. I can’t imagine using optional features such as playing music or using the GPS while running. Like Jon, I do use it as a navigation GPS but as quickly as I can.
I am fortunate to have Running Free as a sponsor. I like to keep silly stats and maps of my Daily Neighbourhood Tours, Races and Marathons run in a Silly Yellow Shirt.

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:31 pm

Double Bellybuster wrote:I may look the 10 up, though I imagine I will choose more features.

The 10 has only five hour battery life. Yikes, not much margin for error once the watch starts deterorating.That won't do.

jonovision_man wrote: But for now 305 or bust.

Maybe not. Not even in the catalogue any longer:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=142
I am fortunate to have Running Free as a sponsor. I like to keep silly stats and maps of my Daily Neighbourhood Tours, Races and Marathons run in a Silly Yellow Shirt.

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:39 pm

Interestingly, Holabird has 41 models on their site, more out there than Garmin. Good prices on Garmin too.

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:55 pm

Double Bellybuster wrote:Interestingly, Holabird has 41 models on their site, more out there than Garmin.

I may try something like this:

http://www.holabirdsports.com/timex-marathon-gps.html

For $99 (and a $8 gift certificate that I'll use), I don't see why this isn't worth a try,

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:08 pm

And here is a review of the Timex Marathon versus the other watches in the $100-$150 range aimed at serious runners looking for value:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2012/03/99-t ... eview.html

Sounds like a winner.

So i'll let you know how I make out with it. It'll be $79 at Running Room, they have 20% off coupons in at least one magazine this month and a retail price of $99.

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:47 pm

Got the Timex watch - as good and suitable for my needs as I had hoped.

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:14 pm

Double Bellybuster wrote:Got the Timex watch - as good and suitable for my needs as I had hoped.

I've had a chance to review both the Timex Marathon and the Garmin 10.

The Timex had issues with functonality in the cold. Not good for Canada.

The Garmin 10 is an outstanding watch. But the wrist band is too cheap and one can count on replacing it either via warranty claim or replacement every 20-30 runs. There are two spots where it isheld together by...plastic adhesive. :roll:

barebuns1
Bill Crothers

Postby barebuns1 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:10 pm

My really old Forerunner 205 is still working like a charm,even in the Philippines. I have replaced the strap once. I have one side duct taped where the rubber started to come apart. I did look at the 10 last year at the Running Room in Regina. I think that will be my next Garmin. I don't need all the bells and whistles on some of the more expensive models. :)
If you have to ask me why I Run, You probably wouldn't understand!

barebuns1
Bill Crothers

Postby barebuns1 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:21 pm

I think I jinxed my Garmin 205. I broke the strap while starting my run this morning. I might be able to do a temporary fix until I get back to Calgary in May! If not it will be my Timex Ironman watch using an average of 6kph. :)
If you have to ask me why I Run, You probably wouldn't understand!

Return to “General Running Discussion”