DisneyWorld Goofy - 2013

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

irun4me
Tom Longboat

Re: DisneyWorld Goofy - 2013

Postby irun4me » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:46 pm

Tori wrote:
HCcD wrote:
irun4me wrote:HCcD, in your past experiences has the size of the shirts changed over the years. WHEN I register, I'm thinking of going with a small. My 2010 shirt is a medium and is big. Just don't want to order a small and have it not fit.
Looks like I'm going' Goofy (again) in 2013!!!

I believe that they only have unisex sizing now :think: :think: And, I always order the Medium, and it is definitely on the roomy side of things ... Ordered the Medium moreso for the length of the sleeves, in general ... Champion is the supplier ....

Hope that helps out ....

eta: You planning on running the Goofy this year? :shifty: :wink:

It is definitely unisex. I always order small and it is still very roomy. If it helps I wear small at gap, old navy, etc to help with comparison. I ordered medium the year after I had my son thinking I would be bigger and I was swimming in it and ended up throwing it out.

Thanks for the help. Mine (from two years ago) are unisex and the medium is pretty big. I usually wear it as my top layer in the winter. I think I'll go with the small. YES! I'm definitely doing Goofy 2013!!
2013 WDW Goofy Challenge
Peterborough half

irun4me
Tom Longboat

Postby irun4me » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:45 pm

do they have the "Perfectly Goofy" challenge anymore?
2013 WDW Goofy Challenge
Peterborough half

abirdd
Bill Crothers

Postby abirdd » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:54 am

irun4me wrote:do they have the "Perfectly Goofy" challenge anymore?

At the start this year, they announced the "Perfectly Goofy" participant number was around 150. Someone in my corral mentioned the number had dropped substantially when the US economy tanked, but clearly there are some hardcore runners who will not give up their status!!

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed May 16, 2012 12:37 pm

According to rumours afoot, they will be announcing the new marathon course on Thursday .... :shock: :?
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu May 17, 2012 10:58 am

Holy spankin' new marathon course Mickey !!!! :lol: :wink:

The NEW MARATHON COURSE is available for Viewing. Some OLD areas have returned.In year 3 or 4,we did run on the race track,and we did run in WIDE WORLD OF SPORTS. New to the course is we will be seeing the Magiic Kingdom sooner,wedidnt get there till after mile 10 in previous years,also,the half way pont is now in the ANIMAL KINGDOM,instead of before we made the turn on the road where we past the waste treatment plant.Looks like we will get to run around the warning track of the baseball park,and like at DISNEYLAND,see yourself on the JUMBOTRON.
From there on looks like the course is the same to the finish. They are keeping under wraps what we will see at mile 20;-) I AM SOOOOOOOOOO EXCITED;-)

http://espnwwos.disney.go.com/events/rundisney/wdw-marathon/index?page=course
Last edited by HCcD on Thu May 17, 2012 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

abirdd
Bill Crothers

Postby abirdd » Thu May 17, 2012 11:57 am

Short of the comments on the various Disney FB groups, just how bad would the banking be on the Race Track? Or, did Disney confirm runners will only be on the apron? I have to confess I don't know much about race tracks - but from the negative comments about this addition to the course, I get the impression the severity of the banking can be pretty harsh on the knees/ITB/hips?

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu May 17, 2012 12:03 pm

abirdd wrote:Short of the comments on the various Disney FB groups, just how bad would the banking be on the Race Track? Or, did Disney confirm runners will only be on the apron? I have to confess I don't know much about race tracks - but from the negative comments about this addition to the course, I get the impression the severity of the banking can be pretty harsh on the knees/ITB/hips?

If it is similar to the Montreal Scotiabank 1/2 ... Don't think it will too much of an issue ...

The interesting comments on FB was taking out the first 5-8K loop outside of Epcot and running through it, in order to run around the Sports Field, appears to be mixed, at this point ....

Having said that ... I am not sad at all that they took out the part about running past the sewar plant, as we were leaving the back lots of Magic Kingdrom, nor the Purple Mile at the 20 mile mark ... though, will be interesting to see where TnT will move their Purple Mile to, or, will it be inside the stadium now ?? It was kinda cool the first time I ran the Disneyland 1/2 and, there were thousands of spectators, mostly little league players, in the stands cheering everyone on, and seeing yourself on the Big Screen, as you run by the first base / home base stretch ... :P

Actually, looking forward to a new course, after running on the old one for the past 4 years, myself ... And, the logistics for next year, if they bring back the Chip & Dale Relay, the exchange point may be a cleaner transition ??? :think: :think: :think:

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Thu May 17, 2012 12:24 pm

That looks like fun!!! Glad there is no sewer run anymore. That was pretty gross running there on a really hot day.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu May 17, 2012 8:37 pm

Tori wrote:That looks like fun!!! Glad there is no sewer run anymore. That was pretty gross running there on a really hot day.

The serice road to the animal Kingdom and our favorite waste treatment plant are still part of the course. It looks like they neede to have the course go thru the Sports Complex in order to use the baseball stadium for the 20th anniversary celebration,and in order to do that they eliminated the loop thru EPCOT at the start.

irun4me
Tom Longboat

Postby irun4me » Thu May 17, 2012 9:56 pm

Every time I see anything written about Disney I can't help but get more and more excited about Goofy! Time seems to be standing still right about now :!! :!! :!!
2013 WDW Goofy Challenge
Peterborough half

URG
Johnny Miles

Postby URG » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:08 pm

It was on my wish list this year, but alas it's not going to happen for the anniversary year of Mickey. We are however, running Tinkerbell again which is right after WDW. :D

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:22 am

Just released the new Donald Medal for 2013 ..... :drool: :drool: :drool:

Can only imagine what the 20th Anniversary Micky Medal will like, and/or the Goofy Challenge for 2013 ...

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:03 am

Sa sweet .. a spinny Mickey Medal this year .... :dance: :dance: :shifty: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I6Sr4TPoKo

abirdd
Bill Crothers

Postby abirdd » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:42 pm

And the "Great Medal Caper Flash Sale" is valid until August 15th at 12:00noon EDT. Pricing details are on the runDisney site: http://www.rundisney.com/disneyworld-marathon/registration/

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:00 pm

so, if one decided to do this......where do you start?

where do people stay?

where do you fly out of? (from Ottawa)

when do you go?

what do I need to know?
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:29 pm

Irongirl wrote:so, if one decided to do this......where do you start?

where do people stay?

when do you go?

what do I need to know?

I will send you a PM with all the links we use from Ottawa.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:43 pm

Goofy was over 88% yesterday before the flash 24 hour sale, and expected to sell out by September, if that .... In the meantime, look at what may waiting for you in January ... :P

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:03 am

where do people stay?

when do you go?

what do I need to know?

It depends .... Disney Hotels ?? Disney Resorts & Vacation Club Rentals ?? Hotels ?? Timeshares & Rentals Off Resorts ?? WestJet offers direct flights, but only late afternoon from Ottawa and evening return from Orlando .... The $$money$$ you save on offsite Hotels, Resorts, Timeshares than on Disney Resort would cost you in a car rental plus parking and gas, as Disney offers free transportation to and from airport to Disney World and free shuttles when inside the park ... but, then you add the meal plans, etc. when staying in the park, unless you buy into a Vacation Rental .. and, with a timeshare rental, etc., with a full kitchen/laundry, etc., you could save a bit of $$$ by avoiding to eat out for breakfast, lunch and dinner, by going to the grocery store and stock up ....

Both WestJet and Air Canada also have non-direct flights from Ottawa to Orlando with stop overs in various cities that could add up to 4-6 hours in transfers and wait time ... As for travelling ... I would suggest no later than Wednesday, the week of, and return a day or two after race weekend, if you have the time ... that is ... 5-7 days should be fine .... Thursday is race kit pickup time and acclimate to weather, etc, and Friday is r&r day, in preparation for early weekend races, and allowing for kiddy races, if you plan on that, and the 5K Family Fun Run, etc ...

URG
Johnny Miles

Postby URG » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:16 am

Nice Donald medal. Similar to last year.

Any Coast to Coasters out there? I was a little disappointed with my C&C as the year wasn't on it for 2012. In 2010 they had the year on the medal. Was kinda nice.

Looks like it's going to be a great celebration for Mickey!!

URG
Johnny Miles

Postby URG » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:31 am

HCcD wrote:

where do people stay?

when do you go?

what do I need to know?

It depends .... Disney Hotels ?? Disney Resorts & Vacation Club Rentals ?? Hotels ?? Timeshares & Rentals Off Resorts ?? WestJet offers direct flights, but only late afternoon from Ottawa and evening return from Orlando .... The $$money$$ you save on offsite Hotels, Resorts, Timeshares than on Disney Resort would cost you in a car rental plus parking and gas, as Disney offers free transportation to and from airport to Disney World and free shuttles when inside the park ... but, then you add the meal plans, etc. when staying in the park, unless you buy into a Vacation Rental .. and, with a timeshare rental, etc., with a full kitchen/laundry, etc., you could save a bit of $$$ by avoiding to eat out for breakfast, lunch and dinner, by going to the grocery store and stock up ....

Both WestJet and Air Canada also have non-direct flights from Ottawa to Orlando with stop overs in various cities that could add up to 4-6 hours in transfers and wait time ... As for travelling ... I would suggest no later than Wednesday, the week of, and return a day or two after race weekend, if you have the time ... that is ... 5-7 days should be fine .... Thursday is race kit pickup time and acclimate to weather, etc, and Friday is r&r day, in preparation for early weekend races, and allowing for kiddy races, if you plan on that, and the 5K Family Fun Run, etc ...

If you are thinking about staying at Disney, check out their website and browse the list of hotels. Disney categorizes them by price - Value, Moderate and deluxe. Our first year we stayed for a week and was at POP Century (value) and had the quick service meal plan. (cafeteria style) as we didn't want to be held to reservations, etc. Our second time we were staying for 5 days so we opted for a Moderate Hotel-French Quarter and had the meal plan that had one quick service meal and one reservation restaurant. We had to make our reservations online a few months in advance to ensure we got our restaurant choices.

The only real difference with the hotels is the landscaping and maturity level. While Pop Century is more geared towards kids and has a juvenile like quality, the French Quarter was more mature. Felt more like a resort. Rooms are similar in size. Only difference is the decor.

As well, with booking you can opt in for any changes you want to the park passes. i.e. park hopper upgrade. Think about how many trips you want to take at the parks, and if you might consider wanting the option to go to Disneyworld and Hollywood Studios (or other) in the same day. If the answer is no, then just goto with the general park pass. (1 park, per day-your choice)

We booked both our trips online through the Disney site. It was easy. As much as I like the idea of staying off site to be able to go to other places in and around Orlando, I really enjoyed the laid back feel of staying at Disney and using the bus system. No worries about parking. A shuttle picks you up at the airport. Perhaps in the future we'd do it differently as we've pretty much out-Disney'ed ourselves out to stay more than 3 days at the park. If you are planning on only seeing Disney, this would be a great choice.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:40 am

URG wrote:
HCcD wrote:

where do people stay?

when do you go?

what do I need to know?

If you are thinking about staying at Disney, check out their website and browse the list of hotels. Disney categorizes them by price - Value, Moderate and deluxe. Our first year we stayed for a week and was at POP Century (value) and had the quick service meal plan. (cafeteria style) as we didn't want to be held to reservations, etc. Our second time we were staying for 5 days so we opted for a Moderate Hotel-French Quarter and had the meal plan that had one quick service meal and one reservation restaurant. We had to make our reservations online a few months in advance to ensure we got our restaurant choices.

The only real difference with the hotels is the landscaping and maturity level. While Pop Century is more geared towards kids and has a juvenile like quality, the French Quarter was more mature. Felt more like a resort. Rooms are similar in size. Only difference is the decor.

As well, with booking you can opt in for any changes you want to the park passes. i.e. park hopper upgrade. Think about how many trips you want to take at the parks, and if you might consider wanting the option to go to Disneyworld and Hollywood Studios (or other) in the same day. If the answer is no, then just goto with the general park pass. (1 park, per day-your choice)

We booked both our trips online through the Disney site. It was easy. As much as I like the idea of staying off site to be able to go to other places in and around Orlando, I really enjoyed the laid back feel of staying at Disney and using the bus system. No worries about parking. A shuttle picks you up at the airport. Perhaps in the future we'd do it differently as we've pretty much out-Disney'ed ourselves out to stay more than 3 days at the park. If you are planning on only seeing Disney, this would be a great choice.

And, if you wanted to purchase Disney Vacation Club points, they charge $13/point ... http://www.dvcrequest.com/ .... you can stay at their Club Resorts at about 40-50% than the prices on the Disney website .... they offer studio, one, two and three bedroom suites .. and, you are eligible for all the disney resort benefits as if you were to book directly via Disney website ....

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:41 am

thanks. my, err, "friend" appreciates the advice.

I'm thinking my friend would probably go on Thursday.

When would this friend go to the parks? On Monday/Tuesday after the races? What would the friend and their 2 kids do on Friday and Saturday and Sunday after the races?
i run for me.

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:42 am

HCcD wrote:
URG wrote:
HCcD wrote:

where do people stay?

when do you go?

what do I need to know?

And, if you wanted to purchase Disney Vacation Club points, they charge $13/point ... http://www.dvcrequest.com/ .... you can stay at their Club Resorts at about 40-50% than the prices on the Disney website .... they offer studio, one, two and three bedroom suites .. and, you are eligible for all the disney resort benefits as if you were to book directly via Disney website ....

If you stayed in a condo, where does one get groceries? Or, do you (I mean, my friend) eat at restaurants with the meal plan?

Where are people from RM staying?
i run for me.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:48 am

Irongirl wrote:thanks. my, err, "friend" appreciates the advice.

I'm thinking my friend would probably go on Thursday.

When would this friend go to the parks? On Monday/Tuesday after the races? What would the friend and their 2 kids do on Friday and Saturday and Sunday after the races?

Well, the race(s) on saturday (half) and sunday (full) start at 5:30am ... so, depending on how fast your friend is in the race(s) they should be done by 8am and 11am, respectively ... enough time to get back to the hotel to shower and change and r&r a bit, then hit the parks in the afternoon .. :shock: :lol: :wink:

Race weekend is on the second full week(end) in January this year, so the weather should be nice, aka 2009 when it hit mid-80's ... the past couple of years, when it fell on the first full week(end) of January, it was, shall we say a tad chilly ... though, in the morning for the race it was perfect and by afternoon, when the sun came out it was quite hot, for sure ....

Best to check out the flights before booking your hotel/resort reservations, for timing, etc .... you could fly down on a non-direct flight so to take advantage of part of the afternoon when heading down, or just to pick up your race kit and enjoy the evening and, if possible, take the direct flight back to Ottawa, and take advantage of an extra full day in Orlando without paying for an extra night for hotel, etc.

Will your friend be racing as well while his/her friend is racing the Goofy Challenge? :shifty: :wink:

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:53 am

Irongirl wrote:
HCcD wrote:
URG wrote:
HCcD wrote:

where do people stay?

when do you go?

what do I need to know?

If you stayed in a condo, where does one get groceries? Or, do you (I mean, my friend) eat at restaurants with the meal plan?

Where are people from RM staying?

I have been staying at a timeshare resort about 2 miles from the Park entrance .... about 1K from the grocery store ... the past 2 years ... and, will return to the same place this January ... If you know someone with an RCI membership, he/she could probably get you a really good deal on a one week 1-2 bedroom resort at a fraction of the cost than staying onsite in Disney World ... Just remember with Disney World, if you buy into a meal plan, than everyone has to buy into it, for your entire stay ... 3x meals a day at approx $45-$60 /day /person ... Though, if you can find a good all inclusive disney travel package deal, they usually include the kiddies for free, well sort-of, as they charge per person .... :roll:

Again, staying off site requires a car rental plus gas/parking costs that you would not experience if you stayed on the disney resort ....

Return to “General Running Discussion”