DisneyWorld Goofy - 2013

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

abirdd
Bill Crothers

Re: DisneyWorld Goofy - 2013

Postby abirdd » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:41 am

Irongirl wrote:We're looking at a family suite - so, either the Family Suite at All Star Music, or, at Art of Animation (only a $200 difference, and, what looks like a big upgrade to go to Animation).

AoA is the newest Disney resort. If you can obtain one of the family suites at AoA, I'd take it over ASM. I say this since AoA has their own Disney Transportation buses to/from the parks; where ASM shares buses with all THREE All Star resorts. This is manageable when the resorts are at lower capacity, but Mickey's 20th is pulling in some insane occupancy levels. Therefore, expect bus service to be busy...

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:46 am

abirdd wrote:
Irongirl wrote:We're looking at a family suite - so, either the Family Suite at All Star Music, or, at Art of Animation (only a $200 difference, and, what looks like a big upgrade to go to Animation).

AoA is the newest Disney resort. If you can obtain one of the family suites at AoA, I'd take it over ASM. I say this since AoA has their own Disney Transportation buses to/from the parks; where ASM shares buses with all THREE All Star resorts. This is manageable when the resorts are at lower capacity, but Mickey's 20th is pulling in some insane occupancy levels. Therefore, expect bus service to be busy...

Wheww .. thanks for the clarification of AoA, Andrea ... as I was shaking my head wondering, what the heck this resort is all about ?? :shifty: :wink: :lol:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:49 am

well, we just saved $800 on flights. AoA it is!

the kids races are all on Thursday? oh well. I guess the kids aren't racing!
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:51 am

Irongirl wrote:well, we just saved $800 on flights. AoA it is!

what are you talking about?

Kids races....

Thursday, January 10, 2013 – 3:00 p.m.

Friday, January 11, 2013 – 11:00 a.m.

Saturday, January 12, 2013 – 11:00 a.m.
i run for me.

abirdd
Bill Crothers

Postby abirdd » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:53 am

HCcD wrote:
abirdd wrote:

Wheww .. thanks for the clarification of AoA, Andrea ... as I was shaking my head wondering, what the heck this resort is all about ?? :shifty: :wink: :lol:

AoA looked sweet from the outside build (how many times did I loop runs around Pop Century! looking for sneak peeks) - and friends just stayed after the opening this Spring. The theming was a hit for her younger kids, and being able to walk across the Century Bridge to access the Pop food court was a huge draw.

abirdd
Bill Crothers

Postby abirdd » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:54 am

Irongirl wrote:

Kids races....

I was just going to say the kids races are Thursday, Friday, Saturday at various times. Andy, why did you think only the Thursday this year?!

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:59 am

abirdd wrote:
Irongirl wrote:

Kids races....

I was just going to say the kids races are Thursday, Friday, Saturday at various times. Andy, why did you think only the Thursday this year?!

Must be a new thing this year to spread out the crowds by having the events on several days to take advantage of the incoming visitors to the Race Weekend ....

Last time I was there to watch Owen in 2011, it seemed to have taken forever, for all the multiple waves of kids for each event to get started and completed ... With the expo open through Thursday, Friday and Saturday, and runners arriving at different days and times, etc., I guess it made more PR sense to also offer these kiddy events on all three days, as well, to allow the parents to only having to arrive at the Expo once and have the kids race on the same day ....

abirdd
Bill Crothers

Postby abirdd » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:03 am

HCcD wrote:
abirdd wrote:
Irongirl wrote:

Kids races....

Must be a new thing this year to spread out the crowds by having the events on several days to take advantage of the incoming visitors to the Race Weekend ....

Last time I was there to watch Owen in 2011, it seemed to have taken forever, for all the multiple waves of kids for each event to get started and completed ... With the expo open through Thursday, Friday and Saturday, and runners arriving at different days and times, etc., I guess it made more PR sense to also offer these kiddy events on all three days, as well, to allow the parents to only having to arrive at the Expo once and have the kids race on the same day ....

Disney, master of milking the masses... especially if they have kids :lol:

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:07 am

abirdd wrote:
HCcD wrote:
abirdd wrote:
Irongirl wrote:

Kids races....

Disney, master of milking the masses... especially if they have kids :lol:

Yep, always amazes me the number of parents bringing their kids with them to the happiest place on earth .... :shifty: :lol: :wink:

eta:
Dates, times and prices subject to change. Some Kids' Races' event categories may fill up before others. Races are subject to capacity limits and can close at any time before the percentage can be updated. Due to safety and capacity limits, the date registered for must be the date attended; race days are not interchangeable.

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:15 pm

Looks like we are going to make iron daughter happy. With flights for 200 each (taxes in!) And if we're getting a family suite, it makes sense to bring her.

We won't make it to the expo on Thursday, but, we want her, IB and my sister to run the 5k. Can someone else pick up their 5k bibs and then I can try to meet you Thursday night? (Andy?)
i run for me.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:24 pm

Irongirl wrote:Looks like we are going to make iron daughter happy. With flights for 200 each (taxes in!) And if we're getting a family suite, it makes sense to bring her.

We won't make it to the expo on Thursday, but, we want her, IB and my sister to run the 5k. Can someone else pick up their 5k bibs and then I can try to meet you Thursday night? (Andy?)

Nada problemos ... will just need to send me an email with your race confirmation email along with a copy of a photo id (i.e. drivers license, passport, etc.) with your auhtorization to me to pick up on your behalf ....

IB is going for The Dopey ... Go Big or Stay Home, right ??? :lol: :wink:

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Re: DisneyWorld Goofy - 2013

Postby Irongirl » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:52 pm

HCcD wrote:
Irongirl wrote:Looks like we are going to make iron daughter happy. With flights for 200 each (taxes in!) And if we're getting a family suite, it makes sense to bring her.

Nada problemos ... will just need to send me an email with your race confirmation email along with a copy of a photo id (i.e. drivers license, passport, etc.) with your auhtorization to me to pick up on your behalf ....

Great, thanks! We'll work out details later, thank you.
i run for me.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:30 am

Irongirl wrote:
HCcD wrote:

The e-mail w/final race information and waiver forms usually come out around December that will have to be signed and provided along with the other information required for race kit pickup ... so, still got a lotta time to work out the details, etc ....

What is your ETA for Thursday evening ??

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:33 am

Irongirl wrote:thanks. my, err, "friend" appreciates the advice.

I'm thinking my friend would probably go on Thursday.

When would this friend go to the parks? On Monday/Tuesday after the races? What would the friend and their 2 kids do on Friday and Saturday and Sunday after the races?

btw: Have you informed your "friend" of your decisiion to head down to Goofy Land, as well? Perhaps, you could all travel together ... :shifty: :lol: :wink:

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:45 am

HCcD wrote:
Irongirl wrote:
HCcD wrote:

The e-mail w/final race information and waiver forms usually come out around December that will have to be signed and provided along with the other information required for race kit pickup ... so, still got a lotta time to work out the details, etc ....

flight arrives at 4:24 pm - haven't booked my sister's flight yet - I'll probably try to get her there before us so that when we arrive, she's already at the airport!
i run for me.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:00 am

Irongirl wrote:
HCcD wrote:
Irongirl wrote:
HCcD wrote:

flight arrives at 4:24 pm - haven't booked my sister's flight yet - I'll probably try to get her there before us so that when we arrive, she's already at the airport!

Yeah, add up to 30 minutes for luggage pickup, another 30 to wait in line for bus ... another 30-45 minute to arrive at resort ... another 30-40 minutes to check-in and get settled into your accomodations ... another 20-30 minutes to catch the shuttle to the expo ... yeah, not likely to make it to the Expo before it closes on Thursday evening ..... assuming that there is no delays on your flight(s) .... :shock: :?

gnu
Jerome Drayton

Postby gnu » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:24 pm

Irongirl wrote:

Kids races....

Talking to yourself? :shifty:

Ironboy
Abby Hoffman

Postby Ironboy » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:58 pm

on the previous page, HCcD wrote:Having said that, if you are travelling on Thursday, hopefully, you will arrive before the Expo closes, once you settle in to your room and avoid the chaotic line-ups at the Expo .... having said that, the kiddy events are on Thursday afternoon this year, so I suspect that the IronToddlers will not be entered in any of those events .

abirdd
Bill Crothers

Postby abirdd » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:35 pm

HCcD wrote:
Irongirl wrote:
HCcD wrote:
Irongirl wrote:
HCcD wrote:

Yeah, add up to 30 minutes for luggage pickup, another 30 to wait in line for bus ... another 30-45 minute to arrive at resort ... another 30-40 minutes to check-in and get settled into your accomodations ... another 20-30 minutes to catch the shuttle to the expo ... yeah, not likely to make it to the Expo before it closes on Thursday evening ..... assuming that there is no delays on your flight(s) .... :shock: :?

Disney is nothing, if not efficient. It won't take that long from the airport to the hotel. Here's the scoop...

- It's 10-15 minutes (on a busy day) across the MCO terminal to the DME (Disney Magical Express) Welcome Centre. DME is located in the Main Terminal, on the B Side, Level 1. If you bring your DME paperwork, you skip the main desk lineup and proceed directly to the CM (Cast Member) at the motorcoach queuing zone. The CM will direct you to the correct lineup for AoA, and in most cases, you're seated on a bus in 5-7 minutes. During peak periods, it's about 60 minutes from the airport to your hotel. Keep in mind the DME bus may stop at other resorts before yours.

- If using the DME luggage tags, your luggage will be automatically managed behind the scenes, and be transported to your Disney hotel within 3 hours of your landing. If not using the DME luggage tags, you will need to pick up your luggage from the carousel BEFORE going to the DME lineup. Your luggage will then be placed under the motorcoach.

- Take advantage of Disney's Online Check-In service before you leave home. You get to skip the huge lines on arrival at the hotel, and go to the Online Check In desk. They will provide you with a Welcome Folder, and your "Keys to the World". By using online check in, you don't have to wait for them to process your ID, print cards, and setup a folder. Tip: when the DME bus arrives at your hotel, one adult should proceed immediately to the check in desk, while the other adult(s) look after getting the kids/luggage/stroller/etc off the bus and meet in the hotel lobby.

All told, assuming no flight delays... you should be at your Disney resort and checked in by 6:15pm! Then it's time to enjoy the magic :D

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:49 pm

abirdd wrote:
HCcD wrote:
Irongirl wrote:
HCcD wrote:
Irongirl wrote:
HCcD wrote:

Disney is nothing, if not efficient. It won't take that long from the airport to the hotel. Here's the scoop...

- It's 10-15 minutes (on a busy day) across the MCO terminal to the DME (Disney Magical Express) Welcome Centre. DME is located in the Main Terminal, on the B Side, Level 1. If you bring your DME paperwork, you skip the main desk lineup and proceed directly to the CM (Cast Member) at the motorcoach queuing zone. The CM will direct you to the correct lineup for AoA, and in most cases, you're seated on a bus in 5-7 minutes. During peak periods, it's about 60 minutes from the airport to your hotel. Keep in mind the DME bus may stop at other resorts before yours.

- If using the DME luggage tags, your luggage will be automatically managed behind the scenes, and be transported to your Disney hotel within 3 hours of your landing. If not using the DME luggage tags, you will need to pick up your luggage from the carousel BEFORE going to the DME lineup. Your luggage will then be placed under the motorcoach.

- Take advantage of Disney's Online Check-In service before you leave home. You get to skip the huge lines on arrival at the hotel, and go to the Online Check In desk. They will provide you with a Welcome Folder, and your "Keys to the World". By using online check in, you don't have to wait for them to process your ID, print cards, and setup a folder. Tip: when the DME bus arrives at your hotel, one adult should proceed immediately to the check in desk, while the other adult(s) look after getting the kids/luggage/stroller/etc off the bus and meet in the hotel lobby.

All told, assuming no flight delays... you should be at your Disney resort and checked in by 6:15pm! Then it's time to enjoy the magic :D

Yes, that is correct, forgot about the automatic luggage pickup by the DME ... though, remember that your luggage may not necessarily be with you on your FME Bus, and could take up to 2-3 hours before it is delivered to your resort accomodations ... so, make sure that you have all your stuff with you in your carry-on ... :wink:

eta: They will have to get up early for the family run on Friday morning ... so, after a day of travelling, magic may end up being "sleep" ... :shock: :lol: :wink:

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:48 am

fyi ...

SINCE YESTERDAY ,THE MARATHON WENT FROM 96 PERCENT FULL TO 98 PERCENT FULL. IF YOU WANT TO BE PART OF THE 20TH ANNIVERSARY RUNNING,"REGISTER NOW" THIS RUN MAY CLOSE OUT TOMORROW.

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:50 am

Why did I think that Goofy sold out like a year in advance?
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:55 am

jes wrote:Why did I think that Goofy sold out like a year in advance?

It use to sell out, in the first few years, when they had a small cap at 1,500 or so and it was a novelty .... during the 5th Anniversary, they double and even tripled the cap, if I recall and now, it is around 2,500 give or take ... with the novelty wearing out and the economy, and other races, etc., along with the price tag ... If you miss the earlybird deadlines, it is about $350 US plus fees and taxes, etc ... The first year that I ran it, it was like $260US, if I recall, and they have increased the base price by about $20 /year, or so .. :shock: :?

And, for this coming year, it is held on the second full weekend of January, not exactly primo time to bring the kidles, for a family vacation, who would have already started back to school the week earlier .... :?

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:06 am

That must be it. It would have been a few years ago when I was still running with the running room when I heard that.
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:12 am

jes wrote:That must be it. It would have been a few years ago when I was still running with the running room when I heard that.

2015 is Goofy's 10th Anniversary ... You should come ... Zack would be at a perfect age for Disney World Experience .... and, they have lots of kiddy races, as well ... :P

Return to “General Running Discussion”