Another Marathon...opinons...

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Re: Another Marathon...opinons...

Postby turd ferguson » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:38 pm

canalrunner wrote:It can be done but the real question would be why. You can run a marathon in three weeks by recovering rather than running between now and then but it may be hard and perhaps disappointing if you want to truly race it. Ottawa in six weeks gives you more a shot at racing it but I understand you can't do. I would also say although Ottawa has been ocassionally been hot, I can't remember Boston hot and with the 7am start provides at least a couple of hours of cool running even on the hot days. Think you are better to look at a June (Calgary??) or July (San Francisco) marathon. In my mind, a little more time is always good unless you are goal is to be Andy. And there is nothing wrong with that.

Calgary is the same weekend as Ottawa, its likely to be much cooler but running at 1100m of elevation could be an issue if you've been training at sea level.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:45 pm

canalrunner wrote:It can be done but the real question would be why. You can run a marathon in three weeks by recovering rather than running between now and then but it may be hard and perhaps disappointing if you want to truly race it. Ottawa in six weeks gives you more a shot at racing it but I understand you can't do. I would also say although Ottawa has been ocassionally been hot, I can't remember Boston hot and with the 7am start provides at least a couple of hours of cool running even on the hot days. Think you are better to look at a June (Calgary??) or July (San Francisco) marathon. In my mind, a little more time is always good unless your goal is to be Andy. And there is nothing wrong with that.

well, there's the perfect reason to do it!
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:47 pm

turd ferguson wrote:
canalrunner wrote:It can be done but the real question would be why. You can run a marathon in three weeks by recovering rather than running between now and then but it may be hard and perhaps disappointing if you want to truly race it. Ottawa in six weeks gives you more a shot at racing it but I understand you can't do. I would also say although Ottawa has been ocassionally been hot, I can't remember Boston hot and with the 7am start provides at least a couple of hours of cool running even on the hot days. Think you are better to look at a June (Calgary??) or July (San Francisco) marathon. In my mind, a little more time is always good unless you are goal is to be Andy. And there is nothing wrong with that.

Calgary is the same weekend as Ottawa, its likely to be much cooler but running at 1100m of elevation could be an issue if you've been training at sea level.

There is always the marathon at the Niagara ultra marathon, in June, assuming that it is a BQ certified course .. :think: :think: :think: :shifty:

http://welovetorun.com/events/niagaraultra.html
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:08 pm

The reasoning behind the "why" was that I wasn't "sure" I was going to run a fall marathon this year, and/or keep up the level of training for a marathon so I figured do it again, while I'm trained vs. potentially having to start over and/or continue training too much longer.... Also travelling and the cost associated with it, especially after the funds I spent on Boston, isn't really an option this year. So I figured since it was so close, that Boston would work as the last "long run" before the next one...but if I wait too much longer, then that wouldn't hold out....

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:26 pm

If I understand correctly, your goal is to PB, which also would be a BQ :think: :think: and, not necessarily to run Boston in 2013 ?? :think: :think: :think:

Is trading off the women's half marathon in favour of racing the Ottawa Marathon, even a remote option on the table?? :what:

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:39 pm

Look at all the calendars for your area. If there is a race your higher self wants to go to, it will leap out at you and you'll click submit quickly. Otherwise, your higher self doesn't really want to do it but your ego does and you are in conflict (which is why you are asking us).
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:54 pm

TexasSpirit wrote:Look at all the calendars for your area. If there is a race your higher self wants to go to, it will leap out at you and you'll click submit quickly. Otherwise, your higher self doesn't really want to do it but your ego does and you are in conflict (which is why you are asking us).

I didn't think that was why Robin is asking us.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, Robin, but I think you really want to do this but your cautious and want opinions from people that have done it. That's a good thing and doesn't mean your ego is in conflict with your spirit. There's also the brain in there somewhere. ;)

As you know I've never done it, and you've gotten great advice here from those with lots of marathon experience. I've followed your experience and training closely for the past couple years, and I think you can handle this is well as anyone else I've seen who has done similar things. You are also very in tune with your body and recovery and I think you'll know based on how you feel after another week or so whether it's a reasonable thing to be able to do. (If you decide to do it, I also like the advice about not going in with a PB or bust attitude, because you don't know exactly what the next marathon day will bring or how your body will respond to this.)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:51 pm

HCcD wrote:If I understand correctly, your goal is to PB, which also would be a BQ :think: :think: and, not necessarily to run Boston in 2013 ?? :think: :think: :think:

Is trading off the women's half marathon in favour of racing the Ottawa Marathon, even a remote option on the table?? :what:

Yeah that's it.... :)

I really want to do the Women's Half so Ottawa not on the table this year...I also have a couple of friends running the Women's 5K (new runners) so need to be there for that.

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:56 pm

Jwolf wrote:
TexasSpirit wrote:Look at all the calendars for your area. If there is a race your higher self wants to go to, it will leap out at you and you'll click submit quickly. Otherwise, your higher self doesn't really want to do it but your ego does and you are in conflict (which is why you are asking us).

I didn't think that was why Robin is asking us.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, Robin, but I think you really want to do this but your cautious and want opinions from people that have done it. That's a good thing and doesn't mean your ego is in conflict with your spirit. There's also the brain in there somewhere. ;)

As you know I've never done it, and you've gotten great advice here from those with lots of marathon experience. I've followed your experience and training closely for the past couple years, and I think you can handle this is well as anyone else I've seen who has done similar things. You are also very in tune with your body and recovery and I think you'll know based on how you feel after another week or so whether it's a reasonable thing to be able to do. (If you decide to do it, I also like the advice about not going in with a PB or bust attitude, because you don't know exactly what the next marathon day will bring or how your body will respond to this.)

Yes, this exactly....

I think that's the plan... I was leaning more towards doing it then not when I initially posted and wanted to make sure I wasn't completely out to lunch. As far as the ego thing goes, the PB for me is not a huge leap or goal, as I ran 3:55 in Toronto after having to stop in the bushes, and with a really strong headwind in the last 6K, so I think under normal circumstances it was doable. I sort of felt that I trained so hard for Boston (more than I usually do) and wasn't able to see if it would have payed off....so I guess if that's ego, then perhaps.... or just really wanting to not wonder what if...

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:03 pm

The point is that if you know from your heart that a race is right for you, you'll KNOW it. You'll just know it. Feeling confused about timing etc is an inner conflict.

Just search the calendar, suddenly you'll know: YES, this is it! Thats the one. Click submit.

DJHL
Bruce Kidd

Postby DJHL » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:12 pm

Interesting discussion with lots of valid points. If I were able to run ok, I would also be tempted to have another go at the full distance though would probably lean towards Ottawa rather than Toronto / Mississauga. The later option is just to get in a bit more recovery time and also to fit in one or two longer runs to see how things were going. Mind you, never having done two marathons so close to each other, I admit it is all theoretical. :?

If you feel up to to the challenge, I would definitely go for it.

Get back to a regular exercise routine

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:12 am

A PB starts at the intuitive level and its purpose is not some number goal but joy. The outcome of the performance is a creation of thoughts of joy. Therefore all aspects of the creation are guided by intuition. The intuition will lead you on the path of joy. PB equals joy. So, listen to spirit when picking the race and you'll get the day and conditions where "the moons lineup." No other way are stellar performances created.

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:05 am

Avoiding discussions of celestial plains, for what it is worth I also ran a hot, slow but satisfying Boston (probably 30-35 minutes slow) and contemplated running Goodlife as I ran, especially since it is a fast course and because my training was the best it had been in awhile---I thought I had a PB in me. I decided not to run Goodlife was because my calculation was that 3 weeks was too short a recovery time to give a PB a legitimate shot and I didn't want to run "just another marathon". I have paced marathons, three weeks before racing a marathon but Boston was different even if the time was around what I would normally pace. I will take a PB shot when the stars are better aligned.
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:08 am

canalrunner wrote:Avoiding discussions of celestial plains, for what it is worth I also ran a hot, slow but satisfying Boston (probably 30-35 minutes slow) and contemplated running Goodlife as I ran, especially since it is a fast course and because my training was the best it had been in awhile---I thought I had a PB in me. I decided not to run Goodlife was because my calculation was that 3 weeks was too short a recovery time to give a PB a legitimate shot and I didn't want to run "just another marathon". I have paced marathons, three weeks before racing a marathon but Boston was different even if the time was around what I would normally pace. I will take a PB shot when the stars are better aligned.

Good decision, Mark, especially if you are already planning to be a pacer in Ottawa, anyways ... You will now just have to contact the Bunny Master to bump you to the 3 hour Pacer .... :shifty: :lol: :wink:

eta: Noticed that you are also running Montreal Rock'n'Roll Marathon, but it is the same day as Army Run this year !!! :what: :what: :shock: :shock:

kaybee
Johnny Miles

Postby kaybee » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:18 am

Hi Robin:

I don't post often but am on the forum a lot and have followed your training. I completely understand where you are at. In 2009 I ran my first Boston and it was not what I wanted it to be, but for a different reason. I decided to run with a friend who was really struggling. Not too long after it was over I regretted that I did not put my training to the full test. I felt that I had been the best trained ever for a marathon and that I had wasted that.

I decided to run Ottawa 5 weeks later. I did re-BQ but did not PB. But I felt much better. I followed Hal Higdon's plan for close-together marathons. Having said that I am a little concerned that Toronto/Mississauga is only three weeks after Boston. Still, I would go for it. Give it a little bit more before you register just to be sure, but I think you won't be happy unless you try. Just remember what Ian said, which I think is great advice. Another alternative, which will give you a week more, is Sudbury on May 13 (Mother's Day though). I am running that. I did so in 2007 and liked it a lot, but I am also from there. It is small and low-key but may be another option for you. http://www.sudburyrocksmarathon.com/

Good luck!
Karen

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:03 am

Cupcake Girl wrote: Double Bellybuster was in the same boat as me and he's doing TO.

I'd say get yourself recovered and in shape to race something and then decide late what race(s) to do.

And remember what you disliked about Boston (heat.)

A while after Fort Lauderdale (like Boston, a record high for that day of 31 C), I decided I would have my do-over Waterloo April 29 or Toronto May 6 and decide late which one based on weather forecast.

But then I forgot my plan. I registered for Toronto about a week ago just prior to cutoff to get some piece of flair or something like that. And now I see a high of 7 C forecasted for Waterloo race day and 22 C for Toronto race day.

I should have remembered my #1 priority was avoiding heat. And that would be my suggestion - wait for last minute registration and ensure you avoid repeated inoptimal and discouraging conditions.
I am fortunate to have Running Free as a sponsor. I like to keep silly stats and maps of my Daily Neighbourhood Tours, Races and Marathons run in a Silly Yellow Shirt.

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:20 pm

Double Bellybuster wrote:
Cupcake Girl wrote: Double Bellybuster was in the same boat as me and he's doing TO.

I'd say get yourself recovered and in shape to race something and then decide late what race(s) to do.

A while after Fort Lauderdale (like Boston, a record high for that day of 31 C), I decided I would have my do-over Waterloo April 29 or Toronto May 6 and decide late which one based on weather forecast.

But then I forgot my plan. I registered for Toronto about a week ago just prior to cutoff to get some piece of flair or something like that. And now I see a high of 7 C forecasted for Waterloo race day and 22 C for Toronto race day.

I should have remembered my #1 priority was avoiding heat. And that would be my suggestion - wait for last minute registration and ensure you avoid repeated inoptimal and discouraging conditions.

Great idea...registration closes May 2 so I'll decide closer to that day!

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Tue May 01, 2012 12:46 pm

Robinandamelia wrote:

Great idea...registration closes May 2 so I'll decide closer to that day!

I'm so curious to know what you have decided to do
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Tue May 01, 2012 1:18 pm

Miss*Smiles wrote:I'm so curious to know what you have decided to do

You must be in! Sunny with a high of just 13 for the day with an 18 kph tailwind!
I am fortunate to have Running Free as a sponsor. I like to keep silly stats and maps of my Daily Neighbourhood Tours, Races and Marathons run in a Silly Yellow Shirt.

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Tue May 01, 2012 2:11 pm

:D I haven't registered yet, tomorrow is the cut off for online registration....I'm leaning towards doing it. Still just watching the weather though....

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Tue May 01, 2012 2:14 pm

Robinandamelia wrote::D I haven't registered yet, tomorrow is the cut off for online registration....I'm leaning towards doing it. Still just watching the weather though....

I wouldn't do it, but good luck in whatever you decide. The course is good and forecast is growingly positive so I can understand the temptation.
2016 Races

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Tue May 01, 2012 5:27 pm

canalrunner wrote:I wouldn't do it, but good luck in whatever you decide.

Grump.

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Tue May 01, 2012 5:47 pm

Grump.

Ya, maybe.
2016 Races

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Wed May 02, 2012 7:32 am

Grump.

;))
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

Sustain26
Johnny Miles

Postby Sustain26 » Wed May 02, 2012 8:17 am

I'm a long distance newbie but this video blew me away - and it deals with both women and men -

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/body/marathon-challenge.html

and the home page (more info!) is

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/search/results/?q=marathon&x=0&y=0

We might need to bookmark this - moderator?

Have a great day!
Sustain
During any successful session, one might and should have a moment of truth, "should I continue or just walk home?". If you don't break down, the same thing might happen a few hundred steps later, but you already dealt with that issue. This usually happens in the second half, anyways. The satisfaction one derives later, when at home, is extremely gratifying, and is a build up like no other to further efforts.
(The "Lord, have mercy!" anecdote.)

Return to “General Running Discussion”