Starbucks for women

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

User avatar
fit-kitty
Tom Longboat
Posts: 449
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:58 pm

Starbucks for women

Postby fit-kitty » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:16 am

Any one doing this run on the 12th?

I am doing the 10km, my daughter begged to do the 5 with her cousin!!

User avatar
Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton
Posts: 5044
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:31 am
Location: Bradford, Ontario
Contact:

Re: Starbucks for women

Postby Robinandamelia » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:41 pm

I really wanted to do this but can't squeeze it in (Mother's Day weekend). Can't wait to hear about it. Wanted to run this one with my daughter...

User avatar
Cupcake Girl
Bruce Kidd
Posts: 638
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:15 pm
Location: Cheeseburger in Paradise

Re: Starbucks for women

Postby Cupcake Girl » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:41 pm

I am. I'm doing HIM training, so going in without any sort of taper, so the result won't be pretty. :?: :roll:

User avatar
gnu
Jerome Drayton
Posts: 6565
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:15 pm
Contact:

Re: Starbucks for women

Postby gnu » Tue May 01, 2012 11:48 am

Looks like fun!

User avatar
Doonst
Abby Hoffman
Posts: 10598
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:17 pm
Location: the corner of Sixth and Where Do I Go?
Contact:

Re: Starbucks for women

Postby Doonst » Tue May 01, 2012 1:22 pm

I'm a dude man!
next up:


This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

User avatar
gnu
Jerome Drayton
Posts: 6565
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:15 pm
Contact:

Re: Starbucks for women

Postby gnu » Mon May 14, 2012 3:15 pm

How did it go, fit kitty?

I did the 10K and had a lot of fun. There are events in Vancouver and Calgary in June...nice tech tee, free coffee, lovely bracelet for finishers....just sayin' ;)

User avatar
turd ferguson
Ben Johnson
Posts: 28512
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:11 am
Location: It's a funny name
Contact:

Re: Starbucks for women

Postby turd ferguson » Mon May 14, 2012 3:18 pm

Doonst wrote:I'm a dude man!


Well we drank champagne and danced all night
under electric candlelight
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

User avatar
Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 37476
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:02 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Starbucks for women

Postby Jwolf » Mon May 14, 2012 3:22 pm

turd ferguson wrote:
Doonst wrote:I'm a dude man!


Well we drank champagne and danced all night
under electric candlelight


that reference I got. :) L O L A lola...

And I might be doing the Vancouver version of this race on June 9... not sure because there are two others within the week that I'm also thinking about.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

User avatar
Doonst
Abby Hoffman
Posts: 10598
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:17 pm
Location: the corner of Sixth and Where Do I Go?
Contact:

Re: Starbucks for women

Postby Doonst » Mon May 14, 2012 4:25 pm

next up:


This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

User avatar
fit-kitty
Tom Longboat
Posts: 449
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:58 pm

Re: Starbucks for women

Postby fit-kitty » Mon May 14, 2012 9:10 pm

gnu wrote:How did it go, fit kitty?

I did the 10K and had a lot of fun. There are events in Vancouver and Calgary in June...nice tech tee, free coffee, lovely bracelet for finishers....just sayin' ;)



WELL! my daughter (6) did the 5k, and I'm pretty sure has caught the running bug! She's asked when she can do another, and when I mentioned the Alfie Shrub having a kids 2km, she said NO 5! HA! (John Stanton mentioned her running in, she was determined!)

I did the 10k, and I did like it for organization and the atmosphere, I liked the first half of the course, the 2nd felt all over, almost like they had a hard time making up 10k, so they just kept putting us whereever we needed to go!?!?! Did you get that feeling??

The bracelets were very cute!

User avatar
Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 37476
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:02 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Starbucks for women

Postby Jwolf » Mon May 14, 2012 9:12 pm

fit-kitty wrote:I did the 10k, and I did like it for organization and the atmosphere, I liked the first half of the course, the 2nd felt all over, almost like they had a hard time making up 10k, so they just kept putting us whereever we needed to go!?!?! Did you get that feeling??

I'm curious what route they'll use in Vancouver-- they haven't posted it yet which is partly why I'm undecided. I'm suspecting it will be similar to another 10K run that starts in the same place (near Thunderbird Arena at UBC), but just the week after. I'm sort of surprised they are doing it there for that reason, but I guess they are expecting to attract a different crowd. I do like the cause it supports.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

User avatar
fit-kitty
Tom Longboat
Posts: 449
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:58 pm

Re: Starbucks for women

Postby fit-kitty » Mon May 14, 2012 9:18 pm

Jwolf wrote:
fit-kitty wrote:I did the 10k, and I did like it for organization and the atmosphere, I liked the first half of the course, the 2nd felt all over, almost like they had a hard time making up 10k, so they just kept putting us whereever we needed to go!?!?! Did you get that feeling??

I'm curious what route they'll use in Vancouver-- they haven't posted it yet which is partly why I'm undecided. I'm suspecting it will be similar to another 10K run that starts in the same place (near Thunderbird Arena at UBC), but just the week after. I'm sort of surprised they are doing it there for that reason, but I guess they are expecting to attract a different crowd. I do like the cause it supports.



I've done it 2x, the first year, it was only a 5k, VERY small, and I was 5 mths pregnant! ha, I decided to give it a go again, and this yr, they said they had over 1400!

I love the supporting ones too! After hearing (and doing) Midsummer, I will def do it yearly, Sick kids hospital is amazing! :dance:

User avatar
gnu
Jerome Drayton
Posts: 6565
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:15 pm
Contact:

Re: Starbucks for women

Postby gnu » Tue May 15, 2012 10:17 am

fit-kitty wrote:
gnu wrote:How did it go, fit kitty?

I did the 10K and had a lot of fun. There are events in Vancouver and Calgary in June...nice tech tee, free coffee, lovely bracelet for finishers....just sayin' ;)



WELL! my daughter (6) did the 5k, and I'm pretty sure has caught the running bug! She's asked when she can do another, and when I mentioned the Alfie Shrub having a kids 2km, she said NO 5! HA! (John Stanton mentioned her running in, she was determined!)

I did the 10k, and I did like it for organization and the atmosphere, I liked the first half of the course, the 2nd felt all over, almost like they had a hard time making up 10k, so they just kept putting us whereever we needed to go!?!?! Did you get that feeling??

The bracelets were very cute!


Haha that's cute :D

I kinda got that feeling when I looked at the route map before the race, but when I was out there I didn't notice as much. I wasn't crazy about the part where the course turned left across itself twice, but it didn't seem to cause any problems anywhere near me so I guess they designed it with the the race size in mind!

And John Stanton :roll: I know he only has like 5 things he says at races, and at smaller races he picks one or two from his list of 5 to say...but of the 5 things he had to choose from, he picked the worst possible one for a women-only race. He picked the one where he says that there are cameras at the finish, and it doesn't matter how fast you run as long as you look good doing it. That has an entirely different meaning when you are speaking to a mixed field :roll:

User avatar
fit-kitty
Tom Longboat
Posts: 449
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:58 pm

Re: Starbucks for women

Postby fit-kitty » Fri May 18, 2012 7:46 pm


User avatar
oobinsnaffa
Tom Longboat
Posts: 324
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:45 am
Location: Calgary, AB
Contact:

Re: Starbucks for women

Postby oobinsnaffa » Mon May 21, 2012 10:27 am

fit-kitty, that is one of the cutest things I've ever seen!
PBs: 5K: 32:52 - 8K: 55:08 - 10K: 1:05:57

2013 Races
Mar 24: Vancouver Spring Run-Off (8K): Finished, 55:08 (PB)
Aug 17: Spartan Sprint Calgary (3 miles): Finished
Sep 7: Spartan Super Red Deer (8 miles): Finished
Sep 28: Spartan Beast Sun Peaks (13 miles)
Nov 2: Banff Winterstart (5 miles)
Dec 31: Resolution Run Calgary (5K)

User avatar
orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton
Posts: 7583
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:12 pm
Location: Orleans, ON

Re: Starbucks for women

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Mon May 21, 2012 11:02 am

fit-kitty wrote:http://mysportsshooter.zoomphoto.ca/eventgallerysearch/16603/0092/1/

My 6 yr old at 5k finish :D


I LOVE her look of determination -- great pics!! Memorable day!!
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

User avatar
fit-kitty
Tom Longboat
Posts: 449
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:58 pm

Re: Starbucks for women

Postby fit-kitty » Mon May 21, 2012 2:44 pm

orleansrunner1962 wrote:
fit-kitty wrote:http://mysportsshooter.zoomphoto.ca/eventgallerysearch/16603/0092/1/

My 6 yr old at 5k finish :D


I LOVE her look of determination -- great pics!! Memorable day!!



She kept talking about it after. She said I remember you said to 'finish strong' :lol:


Return to “General Running Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests