Sporting Life

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

phorunner
Bruce Kidd

Re: Sporting Life

Postby phorunner » Mon May 14, 2012 5:46 pm

Jwolf wrote:
phorunner wrote:
geobandito wrote:I think another huge factor is that the race is largely downhill! Especially the first half (which probably partly accounts for her splits being so different). And the second is very flat.

Yup! The course is a little lopsided that way, there's big drops in the beginning, and slower, more level drops in the end. Couple that with just generally feeling less fatigued, and most people will have way better 1st half times...

Still, 22/32 would be quite unusual. And it's already been determined that this was a timing error, not just a generous course. As it turns out her splits were almost exactly even at 32/32 each.

yeah, didn't notice there was 2 other pages. lol.

2012 Bread and Honey 5k: 27:30
2012 Harry Rosen 8k: 45:20
2012 SL10k: 52:55
2013 Army Run: 1:58:49
2011 Midsummer's Night Run 15k: 1:35:17
2013 ATB 30k - Coming up!
2011 Scotia TWM Full: UGH! I'll post my next one

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Mon May 14, 2012 6:27 pm

Pat Menzies wrote:...a reasonable athletic bio of the person in question was given. That picture is even clearer now.

What the hell is the matter with you people? Why do you all want to doubt and/or trash this young lady?
I am fortunate to have Running Free as a sponsor. I like to keep silly stats and maps of my Daily Neighbourhood Tours, Races and Marathons run in a Silly Yellow Shirt.

mas_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby mas_runner » Mon May 14, 2012 6:34 pm

Double Bellybuster wrote:
Pat Menzies wrote:...a reasonable athletic bio of the person in question was given. That picture is even clearer now.

What the hell is the matter with you people? Why do you all want to doubt and/or trash this young lady?

Look back, no-one trashed her, not even close. There was some doubt and it was justified as the 54 that was posted was actually 64. Still a very nice PB, she must be very happy. Although it must be bitter-sweet as she thought it was 54, I would recommend wearing a watch just to be on the safe side.
PBs
5th Sep 2015 - Run Ottawa free 5km - 21:05
21st Jun 2015 - UR 4 Men's Cancers 10km - 45:45
16th Jun 2013 - UR 4 Men's Cancers 15km - 1:11:44
16th Apr 2016 - MEC 10 miler - 1:20:21
12th Apr 2015 - EY R4R Half Marathon - 1:41:15
26th May 2013 - Ottawa Marathon - 3:43:51

2017 races - coming up
7th May - Defi Entreprise 10km
28th May - Ottawa Half Marathon
17th Sep - Army Run Half Marathon

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Mon May 14, 2012 6:39 pm

mas_runner wrote:Look back...

I wouldn't read this disgraceful thread again if there were a guaranteed pot of gold in the middle. Admittedly I have been a contributor by taking way too much bait.

We, me included, can be way better than this.
I am fortunate to have Running Free as a sponsor. I like to keep silly stats and maps of my Daily Neighbourhood Tours, Races and Marathons run in a Silly Yellow Shirt.

mas_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby mas_runner » Mon May 14, 2012 6:49 pm

Double Bellybuster wrote:...disgraceful thread...taking way too much bait....

????

You've lost me there mate. Nothing disgraceful was said, anyway, this is an internet discussion forum, why can't timing mess-ups be discussed?
PBs
5th Sep 2015 - Run Ottawa free 5km - 21:05
21st Jun 2015 - UR 4 Men's Cancers 10km - 45:45
16th Jun 2013 - UR 4 Men's Cancers 15km - 1:11:44
16th Apr 2016 - MEC 10 miler - 1:20:21
12th Apr 2015 - EY R4R Half Marathon - 1:41:15
26th May 2013 - Ottawa Marathon - 3:43:51

2017 races - coming up
7th May - Defi Entreprise 10km
28th May - Ottawa Half Marathon
17th Sep - Army Run Half Marathon

Pat Menzies
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat Menzies » Mon May 14, 2012 7:17 pm

Not sure why a reality check is a bad thing. We really don't know if she truly believed that she magically became a 22 minute 5km runner but she sucked a few random people into believing that.
Check out my site, Bamboo Bikes by Pat Menzies, to see and order my handmade bike frames.

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Mon May 14, 2012 7:17 pm

mas_runner wrote:...this is an internet discussion forum, why can't timing mess-ups be discussed?

You read timing mess-ups. I read 4 pages of theories on why it is plausible for a course to be mismeasured or a timing company to have mistimed but it is absolutely impossible for a casual runner to have cut 25% off their PB through busting their ass and running a smart and hard race.

Pat Menzies wrote:We really don't know if she truly believed that she magically became a 22 minute 5km runner but she sucked a few random people into believing that.

This young lady was not deceiving anyone, she was running a charity race, most likely for fitness. Yours is the most remarkable post yet.

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Mon May 14, 2012 7:23 pm

I just got off the phone with another timer who lives in Rochester, NY. One of his comments: "The only time you ever hear anything about timing from race directors or participants is when they have something negative to say."

We're like hockey referees/linesmen or baseball umpires.

Pat Menzies
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat Menzies » Mon May 14, 2012 7:45 pm

mas_runner wrote:...this is an internet discussion forum, why can't timing mess-ups be discussed?

You read timing mess-ups. I read 4 pages of theories on why it is plausible for a course to be mismeasured or a timing company to have mistimed but it is absolutely impossible for a casual runner to have cut 25% off their PB through busting their ass and running a smart and hard race.

Pat Menzies wrote:We really don't know if she truly believed that she magically became a 22 minute 5km runner but she sucked a few random people into believing that.

This young lady was not deceiving anyone, she was running a charity race, most likely for fitness. Yours is the most remarkable post yet.

It is accurate though.
Check out my site, Bamboo Bikes by Pat Menzies, to see and order my handmade bike frames.

fit-kitty
Tom Longboat

Postby fit-kitty » Mon May 14, 2012 7:50 pm

So NOT trashing her, Just that I had run with her many times, and found it quite odd to have such an improvement with no training. (yes we covered it CAN happen, but knowing her since public school, she's not the type to have that athletic skill) having looked at the results online, and other 'weird' times, and then the corrections, everything is fine.

No one was being trashed, and so wasnt starting 'issues' or meaning to ruffle feathers on here. :? :shock: :?:

fit-kitty
Tom Longboat

Postby fit-kitty » Mon May 14, 2012 7:51 pm

mas_runner wrote:

Look back, no-one trashed her, not even close. There was some doubt and it was justified as the 54 that was posted was actually 64. Still a very nice PB, she must be very happy. Although it must be bitter-sweet as she thought it was 54, I would recommend wearing a watch just to be on the safe side.

she is, I spoke with her after, and she said her micoach had given the 1:04, and she wondered why she had a 54 on the clock. Overall she's very happy as she was just worried about finishing 10k! :)

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Tue May 15, 2012 10:07 am

jgore wrote:I just got off the phone with another timer who lives in Rochester, NY. One of his comments: "The only time you ever hear anything about timing from race directors or participants is when they have something negative to say."

We're like hockey referees/linesmen or baseball umpires.

Heh, true! It's one of those things people just expect to work, when it doesn't it's like picking up your phone and there's no dial tone... you don't sit back and appreciate just how amazing the phone system is in the first place, you just want to know who messed up the line! :)

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:41 am

Pat Menzies wrote:

It is accurate though.

There is no deceipt to take place. The only people who would look at this young lady's result, and be subject to potential deception, are us kooks on Running Mania.

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:28 pm

Pat Menzies wrote:

It is accurate though.

There is no deceipt to take place. The only people who would look at this young lady's result, and be subject to potential deception, are us kooks on Running Mania.

Holy random 4 month late response, batman! :lol:

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:53 am

jonovision_man wrote:Holy random 4 month late response, batman! :lol:

I'll have a clever response to this. Look back in this spot for it in mid-2013. :lol:

Return to “General Running Discussion”