Sporting Life

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Re: Sporting Life

Postby Double Bellybuster » Sun May 13, 2012 8:57 pm

Jwolf wrote:I still don't understand why the timing company would do it like this with such an obvious flaw and fix.

It is not the timing company's fault if runners cannot follow instructions.
I am fortunate to have Running Free as a sponsor. I like to keep silly stats and maps of my Daily Neighbourhood Tours, Races and Marathons run in a Silly Yellow Shirt.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Sporting Life

Postby Jwolf » Sun May 13, 2012 9:01 pm

Double Bellybuster wrote:
Jwolf wrote:I still don't understand why the timing company would do it like this with such an obvious flaw and fix.

could they really expect everyone to start in their assigned corrals?

And how hard is it for the system to subtract the actual time the runner crosses the mat? Every other race seems to get it right.

In all the races I know that have a wave start (yes, with guns at every start) people are allowed to move back a corral. Not forward, although many people jump. Jumping forward might contribute to congestion problems but shouldn't affect timing.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Sun May 13, 2012 9:04 pm

Jwolf wrote:could they really expect everyone to start in their assigned corrals?

Only entrants who are either intelligent or respect posted rules could be expected to start in their assigned corrals.
I am fortunate to have Running Free as a sponsor. I like to keep silly stats and maps of my Daily Neighbourhood Tours, Races and Marathons run in a Silly Yellow Shirt.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Sporting Life

Postby Jwolf » Sun May 13, 2012 9:12 pm

Jwolf wrote:could they really expect everyone to start in their assigned corrals?

Only entrants who are either intelligent or respect posted rules could be expected to start in their assigned corrals.

While it is the runners' responsibility to follow the rules it's also the timing company's job to report people's times correctly. Your chip time should not depend on where and when you start.

I also doubt most people starting in a different corral expected that their time would be affected.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Sun May 13, 2012 9:17 pm

Jwolf wrote:While it is the runners' responsibility to follow the rules it's also the timing company's job to report people's times correctly. Your chip time should not depend on where and when you start.

I also doubt most people starting in a different corral expected that their time would be affected.

I don't understand the need for rework. The gun time is accurate. Anyone making a false start does not get an accurate chip time.

You paid your 40 bucks, file a complaint if you don't like it.

fit-kitty
Tom Longboat

Postby fit-kitty » Sun May 13, 2012 9:21 pm

Jwolf wrote:

could they really expect everyone to start in their assigned corrals?

And how hard is it for the system to subtract the actual time the runner crosses the mat? Every other race seems to get it right.

In all the races I know that have a wave start (yes, with guns at every start) people are allowed to move back a corral. Not forward, although many people jump. Jumping forward might contribute to congestion problems but shouldn't affect timing.

+1

I would never assume it would affect timing.

fit-kitty
Tom Longboat

Postby fit-kitty » Sun May 13, 2012 9:23 pm

Jwolf wrote:While it is the runners' responsibility to follow the rules it's also the timing company's job to report people's times correctly. Your chip time should not depend on where and when you start.

I don't understand the need for rework. The gun time is accurate. Anyone making a false start does not get an accurate chip time.

You paid your 40 bucks, file a complaint if you don't like it.

I would think that no matter where you start, the chip only turns on when it's crossed a mat, and then off when mat crossed again.

The REAL need for corrals, I BELIEVE is to group 'same like' runners for congestion and such. I would never think that it affects timing

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sun May 13, 2012 9:24 pm

In races with a wave start, chip time is usually used for age group awards, etc. I'm not sure how SL does it but the Sun Run has been doing it like that for years. In fact, you don't even see a gun time when you look up the official results- chip time is considered official.

Also, this has never been an issue in past years of SL that I know of.

No I didn't participate in SL but I got caught up in an argument on principle after a supporting a disappointed friend. So sue me. :)

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Sporting Life

Postby Joe Dwarf » Sun May 13, 2012 9:48 pm

Is it possible that gun time is what is being published? It would make sense to have a different gun start time for each wave.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sun May 13, 2012 10:12 pm

Joe Dwarf wrote:Is it possible that gun time is what is being published? It would make sense to have a different gun start time for each wave.

Ah yes, you're right- and this is different with the races I was listing above. Although there are different "guns" in the other races for each wave, there is only one official gun one one "gun time" (the original gun time). Trying to adjust for gun time AND chip time based on the person's assigned corral (to keep the gun time as official time) was where SL and Chiptime got messed up. I guess in the past the results were hand-checked before posting to account for people that jumped corrals.

But they have now corrected it, so that's good. :) The results no longer show weird splits and apparent world record 5K times.

Including for fit-kitty's friend. ;)

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Mon May 14, 2012 6:16 am

They've adjusted the times....my friend that ran says the times were adjusted and her first 5K split changed from 27 to 33 minutes.

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Mon May 14, 2012 6:20 am

Jwolf wrote:...was where SL and Chiptime got messed up.

They are not messed up. The publishing of tentative results should noy be held up while the times of every runner who missed a timing mat or started early is corrected. They are right to publish within an hour results with gun times 100% right and chip times 99% correct instead of waiting a day to get 100% and 100% before publishing a first draft.

fit-kitty
Tom Longboat

Postby fit-kitty » Mon May 14, 2012 7:24 am

Robinandamelia wrote:They've adjusted the times....my friend that ran says the times were adjusted and her first 5K split changed from 27 to 33 minutes.

Yes my friends went from a 22min 5k to a 31+.

Her overall time is now 1:04 not 54

DBB: I've never seen that happen in any races before? ? Seems very wacky to me

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Mon May 14, 2012 8:11 am

Apart from the timing, how did they do? Similar quality/organization to the old SL10k?

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Mon May 14, 2012 8:23 am

jonovision_man wrote:Apart from the timing, how did they do? Similar quality/organization to the old SL10k?

jono

I'm only going to give you my opinion.

It was fantastic. There were issues common to many races this size (number of port-o-pottiies) etc, but the start was orderly, course fast and fantastic, and the finishing area very large - although somewhat disorganized. They needed signs for the food, bag check etc.

There was also long lineups for the free yogurt and coffee - so I skipped that.

I dunno - I thought it was every bit as well done as the previous organizers - which is an accomplishment considering the doubling in size.

Plus the amount of money raised for Camp Ooch was amazing!

Most other people I know felt this way.

I will categorically be back next year.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon May 14, 2012 9:03 am

Sporting Life 10K raises $1.9 million
May 14, 2012

More than 22,000 runners took part in Sunday’s Sporting Life 10K run in Toronto, raising almost $2 million for Camp Oochigeas.

According to an article in the Toronto Star, runners raised $1.9 million to fund the camp for children with cancer, as well provide funds to the camp’s in-hospital facility at Sick Kids and after-school camp at Ooch Downtown in Toronto.

The first person to cross the finish line was wheelchair athlete Rich Vanderwal, who finished in 22:22. The first male runner was Waterloo’s Shoaib Ikram in 31:13, while Megan Van Keulen, from Beamsville, Ont., took first place among the women in 35:18.

A young woman, however, collapsed 100m before the finish line and is still in life-threatening condition in hospital. According to the Star, off-duty nurse Jules McKernan helped revive the woman by performing CPR until Emergency Medical Services arrived.

Dave Viljakainen, a spokesperson for EMS, told the star it is likely the woman, 23, suffered from pre-existing medical conditions.

http://runningmagazine.ca/2012/05/sections/news/sporting-life-10k-raises-19-million/
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Mon May 14, 2012 9:28 am

That's great, I was concerned with all the fussin' and feudin' that Camp Ooch would be the ultimate loser, looks like SL really stepped up though.

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Mon May 14, 2012 9:42 am

My friend that ran said there were no meeting letters at the end and she had trouble finding her daughter (who's 15). It took over an hour and she didn't have a phone or anything so she was quite upset she said. Also apparently some issues with shuttles...

Cupcake Girl
Bruce Kidd

Postby Cupcake Girl » Mon May 14, 2012 10:10 am

JWolf wrote: I don't doubt the improvement to 54-minute 10k. That's totally reasonable for someone who is reasonably athletic. But no fast course gives someone an improvement from 34 min to 22 min for a 5k in six months.

Says who? Anything is possible and you don't know anything about this person.

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Mon May 14, 2012 10:30 am

jonovision_man wrote:Apart from the timing, how did they do? Similar quality/organization to the old SL10k?

It was great Jono. The downhill on this course was a big help as promised - but you were flying when you went sub-41 here!

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Mon May 14, 2012 11:05 am

It was great Jono. The downhill on this course was a big help as promised - but you were flying when you went sub-41 here!

It felt like cheating that year... we had the downhill in the first 5k and a tail-wind for the last 5k!

jono
Visit my blog!

Killerz
Tom Longboat

Postby Killerz » Mon May 14, 2012 2:40 pm

purdy65 wrote:

jono

I'm only going to give you my opinion.

It was fantastic. There were issues common to many races this size (number of port-o-pottiies) etc, but the start was orderly, course fast and fantastic, and the finishing area very large - although somewhat disorganized. They needed signs for the food, bag check etc.

There was also long lineups for the free yogurt and coffee - so I skipped that.

I dunno - I thought it was every bit as well done as the previous organizers - which is an accomplishment considering the doubling in size.

Plus the amount of money raised for Camp Ooch was amazing!

Most other people I know felt this way.

I will categorically be back next year.

I agree - thought it was very well organised, better than expected. I was in the first corral however - hopefully those further back felt the same.
Water and gatorade were easy enough to get at the end, and the bag check worked out fine - i got worried when they were just throwing them all in the same group on the truck - thought it could have been a disaster, but fair play, it worked out excellently I think.

The last 500m or so was fantastic with all the support - the noise was deafening!

Pat Menzies
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat Menzies » Mon May 14, 2012 3:27 pm

Cupcake Girl wrote:
JWolf wrote: I don't doubt the improvement to 54-minute 10k. That's totally reasonable for someone who is reasonably athletic. But no fast course gives someone an improvement from 34 min to 22 min for a 5k in six months.

Says who? Anything is possible and you don't know anything about this person.

Anything is not actually possible and a reasonable athletic bio of the person in question was given. That picture is even clearer now.
Check out my site, Bamboo Bikes by Pat Menzies, to see and order my handmade bike frames.

phorunner
Bruce Kidd

Postby phorunner » Mon May 14, 2012 5:27 pm

geobandito wrote:I think another huge factor is that the race is largely downhill! Especially the first half (which probably partly accounts for her splits being so different). And the second is very flat.

Yup! The course is a little lopsided that way, there's big drops in the beginning, and slower, more level drops in the end. Couple that with just generally feeling less fatigued, and most people will have way better 1st half times...

2012 Bread and Honey 5k: 27:30
2012 Harry Rosen 8k: 45:20
2012 SL10k: 52:55
2013 Army Run: 1:58:49
2011 Midsummer's Night Run 15k: 1:35:17
2013 ATB 30k - Coming up!
2011 Scotia TWM Full: UGH! I'll post my next one

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon May 14, 2012 5:46 pm

phorunner wrote:
geobandito wrote:I think another huge factor is that the race is largely downhill! Especially the first half (which probably partly accounts for her splits being so different). And the second is very flat.

Yup! The course is a little lopsided that way, there's big drops in the beginning, and slower, more level drops in the end. Couple that with just generally feeling less fatigued, and most people will have way better 1st half times...

Still, 22/32 would be quite unusual. And it's already been determined that this was a timing error, not just a generous course. As it turns out her splits were almost exactly even at 32/32 each.

Return to “General Running Discussion”