Running room instructor

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Size5
Lynn Williams

Running room instructor

Postby Size5 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:55 pm

Who here on RM has been a running room instructor? What are the various roles in clinics and which ones are paid vs volunteer with a discount coupon??

If you instructed, what kind of time did you put into it?

Thanks!
S5
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

La
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Running room instructor

Postby La » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:58 pm

I was a clinic leader. They are paid. Group leaders are given the coupon. Not sure if it's the same now as it was when I did it (many years ago), but we got paid based on the number of people in the clinic. I can't recall the time commitment outside the clinic/practice hours, but you are expected to be there THREE nights now (not when I did it): clinic night, Wednesday and Sunday practice runs.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Running room instructor

Postby Jwolf » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:04 pm

Clinic instructors or coaches (not volunteer pace group leaders) are still paid based on number of participants. In addition to the three runs/week commitment, they are expected to design the routes, organize speakers for clinic nights (or prepare a talk themselves), and communicate with members by weekly emails and be available for questions by email.

Since instructors are Running Room employees, they are also eligible for certain discounts on store purchases. Volunteer group leaders and outside speakers get a one-time discount coupon.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:28 am

Jwolf wrote:Clinic instructors or coaches (not volunteer pace group leaders) are still paid based on number of participants. In addition to the three runs/week commitment, they are expected to design the routes, organize speakers for clinic nights (or prepare a talk themselves), and communicate with members by weekly emails and be available for questions by email.

Since instructors are Running Room employees, they are also eligible for certain discounts on store purchases. Volunteer group leaders and outside speakers get a one-time discount coupon.

I think Jennifer summarizes the duties well.
I taught one clinic some years ago (2006).

Currently I'm generally asked to speak to a couple clinics a year on heart rate training. Each time I speak I get a discount coupon (I think it's 30% ...I don't think I used the ones I got last year so can't remember 8) )
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:41 am

First of all, being an Instructor is a Rewarding Experience ... and, that you really want to be doing it for the right reason, as you are in effect an Employee of the RR for the duration of the Clinic, perhaps, paid less than minimum wage, but that is beside the point .... They pay you $15 per registered / paid participant, plus you are entitled to the benefits of "Employee Status", that is 50% off of RR Branded Products and 40% of off All other Brand Merchandise, and if I recall, 20% off for electronics, etc ... :think: :think: :think:

For this, you are committed to 3x week for the Clinic Night, with the routes and recommended paces, and Wednesday and Sunday group runs, plus sourcing out Guest Speakers and Group Leaders for your Clinic ... They have really standardized their online system with template emails for the weekly updates, as well as the required topics to be scheduled, along with the recommended order of the talks ...

If you are currently a regular member of the regular weekly Group Runs from your store location, and have a good rapport with the other runners, in particular with the Store Manager and Assistant Manager, this would bode well with you fining your Group Leaders and Guest Speakers ... :wink: You will also have to be committed to the RR Policies and Theories, like 10:1's, etc., and pass on this knowledge to your participants, whether you support/agree with it or not ... :shifty: :wink: Adapting these may actually prove a positive thing during the Clinic, as you avoid the "Why ?" questions from the participants, by responding ... "It is the RR policy, or way of doing it ... " etc ....

Be warned, as well, yes, they are paying $69.95 for a new participant and $49.95 for a repeat participant to join your clinic, and some actually expect 1 on 1 Coaching-type relationship and may dominate your time and take away from your ability to meet the requests from the rest of your Group ....

When I instructed, a few years back .... I learned that, either you find a number of various pace leaders, usually 5:1 ratio (participants to group leader) and to put aside your own race goals for the duration of the Clinic ... That is, you are there for your participants and not necessarily yourself. Also, As the Instructor, do not necessarily have a specific pace group to lead, as you may want to float between the groups during each run and/or if a group leader is absent for a run, it is your responsible to fill in the gap and/or find a replacement ...

eta: The key to maximize your $$ is to choose the Clinic with the most participants and right time of the season, like the Winter/Spring for a May race where you could have 50-100+ participants or for a Fall Race ... a Fall / Winter or a Spring/Summer may not have the numbers ... That is, whether you have 5-10 participants or 50-100 particiapnts in your Clinic, it is usually still about the same amount of work/effort required, other than not requiring as many Group Leaders to help out ... :shifty: :wink:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:52 am

It's 20 per person for the half and full marathon.

I would defiantly agree with Andy...you have to be doing it for the right reason. I find it helps me get my runs in during the summer...and I find it rewarding.

The policies aspect various from store manager to store manager...ironically.
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:05 am

Irongirl wrote:It's 20 per person for the half and full marathon.

I would defiantly agree with Andy...you have to be doing it for the right reason. I find it helps me get my runs in during the summer...and I find it rewarding.

$20 / person ?? When did that happen?

There are a couple of Instructors at my store who have been there for ages ... whether its 5-10 participants or 50+ ... as her logic is, she is already planning to train for a full marathon, so might as well get paid for it and get employee discounts in the process, for shoes, clothes, etc., for herself, and yes, her family :shhh: :shhh: :shhh:

Size5
Lynn Williams

Postby Size5 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:36 am

Kiza which types of policies do you find the managers sometimes differ??
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

Tisha
Bill Crothers

Postby Tisha » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:15 am

If I may chime in on the differing policies. (I've both instructed and group lead.)

Our store is in a residential/commercial area and is in a relatively flat area of the city. In order to change things up for long runs during 1/2 training, we had participants meet at various places around the city/surrounding area so we could have different terrain and different scenery. The first manager just had us make sure to include our meeting location (and a map preferably) in the weekly e-mail. The next manager insisted we meet at the store (and preferably run from the store) before heading out at the prescribed time to drive to our location. The theory behind this was 'there may be visitors wanting to run that distance'. So ... if we actually did what we were told ... we'd leave from the store at 8:30 Sunday morning, drive for approx 20 mins, get everyone gathered because we'd all be in different vehicles, and start our run at a hopeful 9 a.m. Most often it was closer to 9:30 when we started. I'm sorry but that extra hour was very frustrating. We got in 'trouble' quite a bit for not meeting at the store but our participants appreciated the earlier finish time. It's even worse for Wednesday nights when we meet for 6 p.m. at the store.

Just my two cents.

phorunner
Bruce Kidd

Postby phorunner » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:33 am

HCcD wrote:
Irongirl wrote:It's 20 per person for the half and full marathon.

$20 / person ?? When did that happen?

There are a couple of Instructors at my store who have been there for ages ... whether its 5-10 participants or 50+ ... as her logic is, she is already planning to train for a full marathon, so might as well get paid for it and get employee discounts in the process, for shoes, clothes, etc., for herself, and yes, her family :shhh: :shhh: :shhh:

Yeah, my store was some oddball number like $16.57 /person.

I've taught three 10k clinics (solo) and a combined half/full clinic (split with 2 other instructors).

I will say one thing - the clinic becomes all about what you put in. If you take the time to find good guest speakers, develop good handouts (because, frankly the RR ones are too basic, and look like they're from the 80's), then your clinic is going to be amazing. The downside is that takes time - so if you don't have it, it's going to be a rough ride. You're really more of a motivator than a coach.

Also, if you deviate from the program in any way, don't mention it in the official clinic emails. RR FREAKS out. I sent out a tougher modified schedule (my 10k group had just finished my HM/M clinic), which included a bonus day (they even say you should get in an extra solo run a week) and within 15 minutes, I had head office emailing me, rather curtly, asking me to explain. I figured an OPTIONAL BONUS (used those words in the email) run would be ok since is was totally optional, and they needed to do it anyways. Needless to say, she accepted it begrudgingly, but the store manager (super nice) told me that HO wasn't happy.

Still though, if you're going to train anyways, it's worth a shot at least once. The discount is great - I stocked up on stuff (that I couldn't find cheaper elsewhere) before my code expired.

2012 Bread and Honey 5k: 27:30
2012 Harry Rosen 8k: 45:20
2012 SL10k: 52:55
2013 Army Run: 1:58:49
2011 Midsummer's Night Run 15k: 1:35:17
2013 ATB 30k - Coming up!
2011 Scotia TWM Full: UGH! I'll post my next one

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:45 am

Tisha wrote:If I may chime in on the differing policies. (I've both instructed and group lead.)

Our store is in a residential/commercial area and is in a relatively flat area of the city. In order to change things up for long runs during 1/2 training, we had participants meet at various places around the city/surrounding area so we could have different terrain and different scenery. The first manager just had us make sure to include our meeting location (and a map preferably) in the weekly e-mail. The next manager insisted we meet at the store (and preferably run from the store) before heading out at the prescribed time to drive to our location. The theory behind this was 'there may be visitors wanting to run that distance'. So ... if we actually did what we were told ... we'd leave from the store at 8:30 Sunday morning, drive for approx 20 mins, get everyone gathered because we'd all be in different vehicles, and start our run at a hopeful 9 a.m. Most often it was closer to 9:30 when we started. I'm sorry but that extra hour was very frustrating. We got in 'trouble' quite a bit for not meeting at the store but our participants appreciated the earlier finish time. It's even worse for Wednesday nights when we meet for 6 p.m. at the store.

Just my two cents.

Good point, Tisha ...

Surprising, as it may be, you are also, more or less, responsible for providing the routes and paces for all the other non-clinic participants, who may drop in for the Wednesday and Sunday "Free" Group Runs ... in some cases, may even double/triple the amount of the runners in your group, and may also cause a bit of a confusion, as your main focus to to provide support to your clinic participants, but may also result in field questions and/or needs of non-clinic participants, as a result ...

eta: At least in the Ottawa area, there are currently 5 stores, with a 6th to be opened by end of summer .. which allows Instructors to coordinate with other stores to meet up at another location and join them, while allowing participants the opportunity to remain at their own location, should they not be able to travel to the other store / location ....

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Running room instructor

Postby Jwolf » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:02 am

While the clinics at our store do plan the occasional away-trips, I can see why the Running Room would frown on this practice on a regular basis. They are offering the clinics under their name with the store as an umbrella- part of their mandate is to provide a meeting place for runners, and, therefore, a customer base. If you are taking the clinic off-site then it really isn't a Running Room clinic anymore.

Same goes for deviating from the program- if you start to change it too much you are no longer offering a consistent product. Running Room is corporate, and you do have to buy into their top-down approach if you get hired as a clinic instructor.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

phorunner
Bruce Kidd

Postby phorunner » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:12 am

Jwolf wrote:While the clinics at our store do plan the occasional away-trips, I can see why the Running Room would frown on this practice on a regular basis. They are offering the clinics under their name with the store as an umbrella- part of their mandate is to provide a meeting place for runners, and, therefore, a customer base. If you are taking the clinic off-site then it really isn't a Running Room clinic anymore.

Same goes for deviating from the program- if you start to change it too much you are no longer offering a consistent product. Running Room is corporate, and you do have to buy into their top-down approach if you get hired as a clinic instructor.

I've been told it's also a legal/liability issue - but I'm not sure how much I buy that.

RE: changing the program - it was either we changed it, or nobody would have signed up. They were ALL repeats, not one new person.

I've noticed though, at least in the GTA, our store is a bit of an anomaly. I went to RR instructor training this year, and Yonge/Eg store had like 130+ people in their Half Marathon clinic alone. I don't think we have 130 people that even come to our store regularly, let alone signed up for all of our clinics. We're not in an area where a lot of people walk by and drop in on a whim - the people that come to the store come because they're looking for a running store. As such, our groups are pretty tight - we get to know everyone on a first name basis (unlike some stores, where as I heard at the RRIT, they need to take polaroids of everyone to learn names over 2 wks)

If there was any new people, we definitely would have eased up on the schedule for them. Then again, most people don't jump into a 10k off the bat (at least, I wouldn't suggest it, unless they're already in decent shape), so if they're ready for a 10k, the modifications were only a slight nudge.

EDIT: Also, the groups are all good about scooping (that is, coming back to pick up the BOP'ers), most people up front don't mind the extra KM's (Infact, most like them) - so it's totally possible for us to run off-sched for the regulars, and on-sched for newbies.

2012 Bread and Honey 5k: 27:30
2012 Harry Rosen 8k: 45:20
2012 SL10k: 52:55
2013 Army Run: 1:58:49
2011 Midsummer's Night Run 15k: 1:35:17
2013 ATB 30k - Coming up!
2011 Scotia TWM Full: UGH! I'll post my next one

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:31 pm

Since this is posted in GRD, I'm not going to provide any more info....
i run for me.

gnu
Jerome Drayton

Postby gnu » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:41 pm

I was a clinic instructor for Learn to Run three times. I have nothing to add, just wanted to say I found it very rewarding - the newbies are my favourite because I love seeing them go from "there's no way I am going to live through this," to "DID YOU SEE THAT? I just ran for 10 minutes STRAIGHT!" :D

n_fraser
Tom Longboat

Postby n_fraser » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:59 pm

gnu wrote:I was a clinic instructor for Learn to Run three times. I have nothing to add, just wanted to say I found it very rewarding - the newbies are my favourite because I love seeing them go from "there's no way I am going to live through this," to "DID YOU SEE THAT? I just ran for 10 minutes STRAIGHT!" :D

That must have been quite a feeling! I'd like to be a learn to run instructor sometime.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:15 pm

Irongirl wrote:Since this is posted in GRD, I'm not going to provide any more info....

I will! I haven't done it but have talked with one former instructor who had a very bad experience with the RR claiming he was breaking his contract by coaching runners in his own clinics AFTER he was no longer working for the RR. It was ugly. Be careful what you sign, and be aware that the RR is ferocious about anything they perceive (rightly or wrongly) to be competition. Remember when they blacklisted RM even though we are not a business and not competition?

I'm not saying don't do it... Just go in with eyes open and be careful of what you sign.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

bruyere
Abby Hoffman

Postby bruyere » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:22 pm

gnu wrote:I was a clinic instructor for Learn to Run three times. I have nothing to add, just wanted to say I found it very rewarding - the newbies are my favourite because I love seeing them go from "there's no way I am going to live through this," to "DID YOU SEE THAT? I just ran for 10 minutes STRAIGHT!" :D

I agree! I've taught beginners and 10k (though not at RR) and yep, it's great to see the progress, surprise, and pride in the beginners.

On the topic of competition/coaching others after the fact, it's fairly common practice in a number of business areas to sign non-competition clauses saying that you're not going to poach customers or employees for a certain period after the termination of the contract. And definitions of "competition" can be pretty broad. I see it in consulting, and I signed similar when I taught the clinic I taught. Indeed, it's just a question of being aware of what you're signing -- actually READ the contract. If you don't agree, try to negotiate a change. If no change is coming, and your'e not comfortable with it, don't sign and find something else. But if you sign and then violate it, expect that there might be consequences. (That's not to say I'm an RR fan... I'm rather ambivalent, but don't tend to shop there unless given a gift card, have never taken a clinic there, and don't intend to lead one there. I'm just talking about contract stuff in general.)
"I was thinking of you yesterday as I was running through the woods. As I jumped over a fallen tree I said "If I were [bruyere], I'd be bleeding by now"." - Turd Ferguson

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:27 pm

bruyere wrote:

I agree! I've taught beginners and 10k (though not at RR) and yep, it's great to see the progress, surprise, and pride in the beginners.

On the topic of competition/coaching others after the fact, it's fairly common practice in a number of business areas to sign non-competition clauses saying that you're not going to poach customers or employees for a certain period after the termination of the contract. And definitions of "competition" can be pretty broad. I see it in consulting, and I signed similar when I taught the clinic I taught. Indeed, it's just a question of being aware of what you're signing -- actually READ the contract. If you don't agree, try to negotiate a change. If no change is coming, and your'e not comfortable with it, don't sign and find something else. But if you sign and then violate it, expect that there might be consequences. (That's not to say I'm an RR fan... I'm rather ambivalent, but don't tend to shop there unless given a gift card, have never taken a clinic there, and don't intend to lead one there. I'm just talking about contract stuff in general.)

+1 to all this.

I reviewed the RR contract and the non-competition clause was pretty tight.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:32 pm

ultraslacker wrote:
Irongirl wrote:Since this is posted in GRD, I'm not going to provide any more info....

I will! I haven't done it but have talked with one former instructor who had a very bad experience with the RR claiming he was breaking his contract by coaching runners in his own clinics AFTER he was no longer working for the RR. It was ugly. Be careful what you sign, and be aware that the RR is ferocious about anything they perceive (rightly or wrongly) to be competition. Remember when they blacklisted RM even though we are not a business and not competition?

I'm not saying don't do it... Just go in with eyes open and be careful of what you sign.

I'd forgotten about RM being blacklisted. I wonder what made them change their minds about us :D
Last edited by Jo-Jo on Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

MrBond
Bill Crothers

Postby MrBond » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:00 pm

A bunch of years ago I did 10K and half marathon clinics - there was NO $, just the store discount.
I ran afoul of the Gospel According to Stanton for not conforming stringently to clinic guidelines and was asked to cease and desist.
The RR has a formula - right, wrong or otherwise - and whatever you do, don't deviate...
"You're in over your head Donny..."

LilyRun
Percy Williams

Postby LilyRun » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:04 pm

I've never instructed, but I have been a group leader a few times and quite enjoyed the experience and found it really rewarding. I think it's important, and was mentioned above, to do it for the right reasons and to set your own goals aside.

I did find it a bit of a challenge at times to keep up the positive attitude/pace on days when I was struggling just to eek out a km or two!

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:30 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:
ultraslacker wrote:

I'd forgotten about RM being blacklisted. I wonder what made them change their minds about us :D

I complained, and reminded them that we aren't selling anything and aren't competition. :roll:
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

langjo
Percy Williams

Postby langjo » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:27 am

Here's my two cents, much of it repeats what otthers have said... I've taught the full marathon clinic a number of times over the past 10 years and helped at other clinic distances. The pay for the full is $20 per participant, and you get the employee discount which is generous, but varies based on the product purchased.

Group leaders and guest speakers get the one-time discount coupon but it has an expiry date you have to watch for. They tend to hold back giving the group leader coupons until late in the clinic so the window of time it can be used may seem limited. Group leaders take the clinic for free. We had group leaders who wanted to pay, but they couldn't have a discount coupon until we changed them to no-charge. RR tightened up the coupons a few years ago to reduce abuse.

Nobody does it to get rich unless you have a huge clinic, but it is immensely rewarding, and can be a lot of fun. The number of hours depends on your approach. You can teach a 10 week clinic, use 5 or 6 guest speakers and template emails, and it won't amount to much time. You would mostly be motivating and cheerleading the gang.

On the other hand, if you have to design the routes, research all your topics, write lengthy weekly emails, it will take a few extra hours each week. I use guest speakers for the more technical topics (injuries, nutrition, etc) but not many because not all do a good job. Also, you may have to compromise your own training to run with different groups.

RR's strength is the consistency and quality-control that comes from having strict policies, but these can be restrictive. For example, having to start all Sunday runs from the store at 8:30 can make it tough to do a 3-hour run in the summer heat. We welcome guest runners, but it is an extra responsibility. I've had to leave my group to help carry a toddler back to the store after a visitor with a stroller wanted to run with us but had to turn around. Area managers and upper management are quite strict. If you don't rock the boat your local manager may turn a blind eye to some rule-bending, but I always keep in mind that this is an RR program, not mine, so I stick to the script as much as possible.

Some advice...
- Recruit the best group leaders you can, they are a huge help both leading the runners and providing feedback to you. Teaching repeat clinics makes this easier because you know the runners.
- Look to the greater runing community for guest speakers. I've had 4 former national champions, an Olympic coach, a world-record paralympian, etc and found them all friendly, engaging speakers that the group loved.
- Realize that most clinic members are great but you may not be able to keep everyone happy all the time.

The fact that you are even asking about it means you want to do a good job. Good for you. I say go for it.
40 marathons and counting.....

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:35 am

GREAT advice!

In terms of guest speakers, one of the problems that I've had is having someone that I've thought would be awesome, but, ends up not knowing/understanding the RR program at ALL and being contradictory to the RR philosphies....or, just providing weird/wrong information.

Unfortunately, it means that I try to stick to "repeat" speakers as much as possible.
i run for me.

Return to “General Running Discussion”