Midsummer Night's Run 2012 (Toronto)

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Re: Midsummer Night's Run 2012 (Toronto)

Postby HCcD » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:01 pm

jes wrote:
La wrote:
jes wrote:
orleansrunner1962 wrote:Hmmmm, reading about the "bad and the ugly" -- was it all tummy issues or was it too hot?? Any tips for us "first-timers"?? :D

I just went out too fast for where I was at training wise. I'll be smarter this year...maybe :shifty:

If you're not used to a) racing in the heat, or b) racing later in the day when you've been eating all day, it can cause some problems.

You haven't been following my log, have you! :lol:

Andy drags me through crazy tempo runs late in the day every week. Yesterday it was +33 or so. I'm acclimatized...it'll still suck if it's super hot though!

the food is the worst part for me since we're travelling to the race.

I am confident that Jes will be more than well trained this summer, to handle the heat and any rollers, if any, on the course ... And, yes, she is quite use to running in the evening heat/humidity ... :shock: :shifty: :wink:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:18 pm

HCcD wrote:
jes wrote:
La wrote:
jes wrote:
orleansrunner1962 wrote:Hmmmm, reading about the "bad and the ugly" -- was it all tummy issues or was it too hot?? Any tips for us "first-timers"?? :D

I just went out too fast for where I was at training wise. I'll be smarter this year...maybe :shifty:

If you're not used to a) racing in the heat, or b) racing later in the day when you've been eating all day, it can cause some problems.

Andy drags me through crazy tempo runs late in the day every week. Yesterday it was +33 or so. I'm acclimatized...it'll still suck if it's super hot though!

I am confident that Jes will be more than well trained this summer, to handle the heat and any rollers, if any, on the course ... And, yes, she is quite use to running in the evening heat/humidity ... :shock: :shifty: :wink:

I think it's really flat, if I remember correctly?
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:25 pm

jes wrote:
HCcD wrote:
jes wrote:
La wrote:
jes wrote:

I think it's really flat, if I remember correctly?

Pancake. There's one little dip where you go down and over the little red bridge and up the other side, but that's the only "hill."
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

gnu
Jerome Drayton

Postby gnu » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:35 pm

purdy65 wrote:What stops me from doing this one is the fact that it is a night race.

I have such a routine for morning races down pat. I'm NOT a night runner.

Me neither - that's why I do it for the costumes and beer :D It's one of my "fun runs."

abirdd
Bill Crothers

Postby abirdd » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:29 am

gnu wrote:
purdy65 wrote:What stops me from doing this one is the fact that it is a night race.

I have such a routine for morning races down pat. I'm NOT a night runner.

Me neither - that's why I do it for the costumes and beer :D It's one of my "fun runs."

I still remember how I didn't recognize you in your incredible costume last year. Sadly I'm going to miss Midsummer, so pictures of your costume (and shoes!) will be required :D

fe.RMT
Jerome Drayton

Postby fe.RMT » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:05 pm

Just registered! I am in for the 15K. This is the day after we go to the All You Can Eat Blue Jays game. Should be interesting :)
The rumours are true......

2013:
Thanksgiving Day 5k: 27:26

Coming up:
ORW Half Marathon
NYC Marathon 2014

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Postby fingerboy » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:15 pm

I still never received a reply to my complaints email last year. No way am I doing this again.

Top 3
1) The course was short
2) Part of the course was run backwards
3) THEY REPEATED THE PREVIOUS YEAR'S MEDALS....LITERALLY! How cheap can you get?

I also had GI issues and had to stop from a blistering pace to use the porto and never recovered. But I can't complain to the director for that. But it's a reason not to run late night races.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:52 am

So, out of curiousity, which hotels would you recommend closest to the proximity of the race site ?? :shifty:

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:15 pm

Last year the Delta Chelsea was the official hotel and I think they had shuttles to the start from there (5-6K?).

There aren't really any hotels close by. There is the Novotel on The Esplanade that would probably be closer to the start, maybe about 4K away. And there is a TTC bus that will take you to the race site from there.

There's also a Days Inn on Queen St. E. in the Beaches, but I can't comment on the quality of the hotel. I've always thought of it as sketchy, but that might not be accurate. Don't know of anyone ever staying there. That would be about 3K from the race site.

ETA: the Holiday Inn on Jarvis at Adelaide would also be relatively close (about the same as the Novotel).

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:18 pm

La wrote:Last year the Delta Chelsea was the official hotel and I think they had shuttles to the start from there (5-6K?).

There aren't really any hotels close by. There is the Novotel on The Esplanade that would probably be closer to the start, maybe about 4K away. And there is a TTC bus that will take you to the race site from there.

There's also a Days Inn on Queen St. E. in the Beaches, but I can't comment on the quality of the hotel. I've always thought of it as sketchy, but that might not be accurate. Don't know of anyone ever staying there. That would be about 3K from the race site.

ETA: the Holiday Inn on Jarvis at Adelaide would also be relatively close (about the same as the Novotel).

Novotel is the host hotel this year, providing shuttles to and from, according to the website .... and was closed to reservations ... so, perhaps, only closed for the special race rates, at this time ?? :think: :think: :think:

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:54 pm

HCcD wrote:
La wrote:Last year the Delta Chelsea was the official hotel and I think they had shuttles to the start from there (5-6K?).

Novotel is the host hotel this year, providing shuttles to and from, according to the website .... and was closed to reservations ... so, perhaps, only closed for the special race rates, at this time ?? :think: :think: :think:

Surprise, surprise ... there are still rooms available for race weekend at the Novotel ... :shifty: :dance: :wink: Tentativley, booked a reservation, now just have to decide on the 15K or 30K event ??? :think: :think: :think:

Next question ... When and Where is the race and race kit pick up at ?? :roll: :shifty: :wink: :oops:

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:20 pm

HCcD wrote:Next question ... When and Where is the race and race kit pick up at ?? :roll: :shifty: :wink: :oops:

You'll likely find that information on the same web site where you found out about Novotel being the race hotel... ;)

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:38 pm

La wrote:
HCcD wrote:Next question ... When and Where is the race and race kit pick up at ?? :roll: :shifty: :wink: :oops:

You'll likely find that information on the same web site where you found out about Novotel being the race hotel... ;)

Nope ... nothing there ... :shifty: :wink: :oops: :oops:

eta: Wondering if there will be any post race m&g ??? :wink:

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:45 pm

last year you could pick up the kit at the race site up until close to the race.

joe and I are staying at the holiday inn. If you end up there, you can hitch a ride to/from the race with us if you want. But we have to stay until pretty much the end since he's shooting. I'm not sure what we'll be doing afterwards for dinner. Last year we just managed to get into the Spaghetti factory across from the Novotel before it closed. We'll probably just grab a take-out pizza or something this year.

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Postby fingerboy » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:48 pm

Race kit last time was at Ryerson in the Eaton Centre (Yonge + Dundas)

Novotel? Like at Yonge + Sheppard? That's the official hotel? :? It's not that close let's say. That's where I used to live. However, you should be able to drive easily from Yonge + 401 to DVP down to Lakeshore.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:50 pm

jes wrote:last year you could pick up the kit at the race site up until close to the race.

joe and I are staying at the holiday inn. If you end up there, you can hitch a ride to/from the race with us if you want. But we have to stay until pretty much the end since he's shooting. I'm not sure what we'll be doing afterwards for dinner. Last year we just managed to get into the Spaghetti factory across from the Novotel before it closed. We'll probably just grab a take-out pizza or something this year.

Ooooh, that would be great, Jes ... I could always just take the free shuttle to and from the hotel ... and shower and change, before meeting up with everyone afterwards, if there is an m&g ... :P

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:54 pm

fingerboy wrote:Race kit last time was at Ryerson in the Eaton Centre (Yonge + Dundas)

Novotel? Like at Yonge + Sheppard? That's the official hotel? :? It's not that close let's say. That's where I used to live. However, you should be able to drive easily from Yonge + 401 to DVP down to Lakeshore.

Perhaps, why ...

1. They are offering free shuttle to and from the hotel to the race site
2. They may not have been able to sell out all the rooms for the weekend with their special rate .... Unfortunately, I missed the July 20th cut-off date, but am able to use an alternate corporate discount rate ... :wink: :shifty:

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:58 pm

HCcD wrote:
fingerboy wrote:Race kit last time was at Ryerson in the Eaton Centre (Yonge + Dundas)

Perhaps, why ...

2. They may not have been able to sell out all the rooms for the weekend with their special rate .... Unfortunately, I missed the July 20th cut-off date, but am able to use an alternate corporate discount rate ... :wink: :shifty:

The Novotel on the Esplanade, not the one at Yonge/Sheppard.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:59 pm

So, for those running / racing ... who is planning to wear a costume this year ??? :shifty: :wink:

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:00 pm

HCcD wrote:
La wrote:

You didn't look very hard!
http://www.amidsummernightsrun.ca/course.htm#kit
;)

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:05 pm

La wrote:
HCcD wrote:
La wrote:

You didn't look very hard!
http://www.amidsummernightsrun.ca/course.htm#kit
;)

Hey, where did that come from ... it wasn't before .... :liar: :liar: :help: :what: :shifty: :oops:

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:43 pm

I think it was called Novotel. It wasn't too far, maybe a 5 min drive?

Race kit pick up was also at the event last year.

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:44 pm

HCcD wrote:
jes wrote:last year you could pick up the kit at the race site up until close to the race.

Ooooh, that would be great, Jes ... I could always just take the free shuttle to and from the hotel ... and shower and change, before meeting up with everyone afterwards, if there is an m&g ... :P

To clarify: to/from the race from the hotel, not from Ottawa :D

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Postby fingerboy » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:45 pm

La wrote:
HCcD wrote:

Perhaps, why ...

Ah, that's more reasonable... Forgot there was a second one.

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:48 pm

fingerboy wrote:
La wrote:
HCcD wrote:

Perhaps, why ...

Ah, that's more reasonable... Forgot there was a second one.

There was a nice little restaurant with a great patio serving breakfast the next morning. It was so nice to sit outside and have breakfast! I hope we can find something similar near the holiday inn where we're staying this year.

Return to “General Running Discussion”