Doping relativity...

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Mark.AU
Bill Crothers

Doping relativity...

Postby Mark.AU » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:30 pm

Doping is no worse than any other form of cheating. Discuss...
“We are what we think. / All that we are arises with our thoughts. / With our thoughts we make the world.” Dhammapada,

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Doping relativity...

Postby Jwolf » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:31 pm

No worse or better, I agree.
Cheating is cheating.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

La
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Doping relativity...

Postby La » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:33 pm

What are some examples of other forms of cheating? I can't think of anything other than taking a taxi to the finish line. Or do you mean cheating in life, like on your taxes or going over the speed limit, etc.?
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Doping relativity...

Postby Jwolf » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:39 pm

La wrote:What are some examples of other forms of cheating? I can't think of anything other than taking a taxi to the finish line.

There are other ways...
using someone else's chip to qualify them for a race, cutting a course short when there aren't timing mats to check.....
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

Mark.AU
Bill Crothers

Postby Mark.AU » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:53 pm

La wrote:What are some examples of other forms of cheating? I can't think of anything other than taking a taxi to the finish line. Or do you mean cheating in life, like on your taxes or going over the speed limit, etc.?

What Jenn said, plus drafting, blocking, cutting the course, using fins or floatation devices, any infraction of the rules to gain an advantage over your competitors, really.
“We are what we think. / All that we are arises with our thoughts. / With our thoughts we make the world.” Dhammapada,

jamix
Bill Crothers

Postby jamix » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:04 pm

Mark 2.0 wrote:Doping is no worse than any other form of cheating. Discuss...

Mostly agree...........What Tonya Harding did has gotta be the worst form of cheating ever :lol:
2013 GOALS:

- Compete in the "Early Bird Sprint Triathlon" in May
- Run a 5km pb during the "Bushtukah Canada Day Road Race"
- Complete an Olympic distance triathlon
- Cycle > 33 km / hr during the cycle portion of a Sprint Triathlon.
- Stay healthy and happy

Races

April 28th: Manotick 10km (40:16)
May 18th: Ottawa Early Bird Sprint Triathlon (DNF)
June 8th: Riverkeeper SuperSprint (2nd overall)
July 1st: Bushtukah Canada Day 5km (18:37)

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:06 pm

jamix wrote:

Mostly agree...........What Tonya Harding did has gotta be the worst form of cheating ever :lol:

Tonya did not lay one hand on Nancy Kerrigan ... :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :shifty: :wink:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:07 pm

I think it is worse due to the fact that it can be hidden (to an extent) verses out right cheating that can be caught on video, photographed, etc.

I have a work colleague who swam in two Olympics. She ended up quitting swimming due to the pressure to dope (yes, even in Canada). We had a discussion during the last (winter) Olympics and she firmly believed that very few people were racing/training 'clean'.

She knew of cases where people (no necessarily Canadian athletes) would dope during training and then go 'clean' in time to test clean at the Olympics. Basically, the advantage was still there (stronger/better endurance) but the substance was out of their system.

She also stated that she could watch the Olympics and appreciate what people were doing with their bodies, but could not believe that they were all 'clean'.

jamix
Bill Crothers

Postby jamix » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:18 pm

eme...........sounds like a conspiracy theory to me.

HCcD wrote:
jamix wrote:

Tonya did not lay one hand on Nancy Kerrigan ... :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :shifty: :wink:

Oops yes thats true, my bad........But her husband is a bad man :naughty:
2013 GOALS:

- Stay healthy and happy

Races

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Doping relativity...

Postby Jwolf » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:22 pm

eme wrote:She knew of cases where people (no necessarily Canadian athletes) would dope during training and then go 'clean' in time to test clean at the Olympics. Basically, the advantage was still there (stronger/better endurance) but the substance was out of their system.

Top people in the sports are also random tested in off-season/training season now...

jamix
Bill Crothers

Postby jamix » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:28 pm

Jwolf wrote:
eme wrote:She knew of cases where people (no necessarily Canadian athletes) would dope during training and then go 'clean' in time to test clean at the Olympics. Basically, the advantage was still there (stronger/better endurance) but the substance was out of their system.

Top people in the sports are also random tested in off-season/training season now...

this
2013 GOALS:

- Stay healthy and happy

Races

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:35 pm

I would argue that doping is the least-bad form of cheating, because everybody does it.

Taking a taxi to the finish is worse because you get an unfair advantage on your competitors. Doping merely levels the playing field.

If everybody is doping, it might be illegal but its not unfair.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Doping relativity...

Postby Jwolf » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:36 pm

turd ferguson wrote:I would argue that doping is the least-bad form of cheating, because everybody does it.

Taking a taxi to the finish is worse because you get an unfair advantage on your competitors. Doping merely levels the playing field.

If everybody is doping, it might be illegal but its not unfair.

everybody? I don't think it's that systematic in all sports.

But even if that's true it's still unfair because it disadvantages those that choose to stay clean (and don't compete).

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:50 pm

turd ferguson wrote:I would argue that doping is the least-bad form of cheating, because everybody does it.

At least that's what dopers tell themselves. Meanwhile those who refuse to be part of the "everybody" don't ever get to be part of the elite of the sport. That's fair how?

Cheating is cheating.

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:56 pm

jamix wrote:
Jwolf wrote:

this

She was tested in the off-season/training season. Any other country could 'challenge' someone to get tested. For a while, she wanted to stop answering her phone - since she was getting tested so often.

Mark.AU
Bill Crothers

Postby Mark.AU » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:59 pm

If it's all the same (cheating, that is) - and I think it is - why are the penalties so disparate, and why so much more stigma to doping?

For sure, part of the reasons for penalty difference is the lingering effects of doping compared to other forms of cheating - the advantage gained is long term as much as it is instant. However, if I cut a course or draft a significant portion of a bike leg I'll gain just as much advantage and only risk a two minute penalty.

In terms of stigma, it's not even close - and I can't think of a reason why.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:03 pm

jonovision_man wrote:

At least that's what dopers tell themselves. Meanwhile those who refuse to be part of the "everybody" don't ever get to be part of the elite of the sport. That's fair how?

Cheating is cheating.

jono

This is about the relativity of doping to other forms of cheating. I'm not arguing it should be allowed or that its okay.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:12 pm

Mark 2.0 wrote:If it's all the same (cheating, that is) - and I think it is - why are the penalties so disparate, and why so much more stigma to doping?

For sure, part of the reasons for penalty difference is the lingering effects of doping compared to other forms of cheating - the advantage gained is long term as much as it is instant. However, if I cut a course or draft a significant portion of a bike leg I'll gain just as much advantage and only risk a two minute penalty.

Maybe because of the cost associated with testing to catch people who are doping/cheating? Doping is long-term, systematic cheating (affects you in training as well as in racing); whereas drafting is a one-time offence that is punished at the time it occurs in a race. Nobody cares if you "cheat" during training (because essentially you are only cheating yourself).

But Jennifer's example of wearing someone else's chip to qualify them for a race is another good example. If caught, I think both cheaters should get a suspension for a period of time (though how would you enforce that with all the regional and international races?).
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:19 pm

Mark 2.0 wrote:If it's all the same (cheating, that is) - and I think it is - why are the penalties so disparate, and why so much more stigma to doping?

The usual answer to questions like this is "because lesser penalties didn't work". Why is the penalty for hopping on a train $250? Because $125 didn't work.

Why is there more stigma? Because drugs are bad. Phelps was suspended six months for belong photographed taking bong rips. The USADA is funded by the same puritanical agency trying to stamp out medical marijuana.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:46 pm

What is interesting is that the use of drugs and other "potions" has been around for a long time, and was originally banned to protect the safety of the athletes.

Here's a really good article summarizing the history and modern concerns:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-n ... 84335.html

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:33 pm

Then there's those that try to win by trying to sway who they play (and throw matches)....badminton anyone!

I agree, cheating is cheating....

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:39 pm

What about the judging events? Creativity, artistic, etc., are all subjective ... and, remember the whole block judging/favoritism, re: pro/con countries ??
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:09 pm

It's all about the money....
Image Fortes Fortuna Juvat!
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
Never really ready but always ready!

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:43 am

It's way worse, because it kills people.

If I'm a third baseman juiced on steroids and keeping my roster spot because of the associated performance boost, I'm making every young third baseman have to juice to compete with me for my job. (Or think they have to.) With the steroid era in baseball only recently ending, we'll start seeing a lot of stars dropping dead in their mid-40s. I bet every one of them would say they only did it to keep up and keep their job.

Stealing signs to keep up, or videotaping opponents' practices to keep up, or cutting a racecourse to keep up... none of those things are lethal.

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:48 am

dgrant wrote:It's way worse, because it kills people.

If I'm a third baseman juiced on steroids and keeping my roster spot because of the associated performance boost, I'm making every young third baseman have to juice to compete with me for my job. (Or think they have to.) With the steroid era in baseball only recently ending, we'll start seeing a lot of stars dropping dead in their mid-40s. I bet every one of them would say they only did it to keep up and keep their job.

Stealing signs to keep up, or videotaping opponents' practices to keep up, or cutting a racecourse to keep up... none of those things are lethal.

Yes - very good point.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Return to “General Running Discussion”