Sitting is the new smoking

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

La
Kevin Sullivan

Sitting is the new smoking

Postby La » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:46 am

Interesting article in today's Globe:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/hea ... le4613704/

The sobering part is that, as runners, we seem to think that we already meeting our minimum requirement for daily activity, but other research has shown (you'll have to go to the Sweat Science blog to read about it as I don't have the reference handy) that even if you exercise 1-2 hours a day, those other 22-23 hours spent sitting (or sleeping) are still doing you a lot of harm.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Sitting is the new smoking

Postby deerdree » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:12 am

I've seen a few articles like this and the evidence is convincing, in my opinion. That's part of the reason I set up a treadmill desk! (The other reason is that I get lower back pain from sitting too long, so I was definitely feeling acute effects of sitting too much).

shannybear13
Johnny Miles

Postby shannybear13 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:36 am

Neat and interesting article. I feel even more fortunate to work in a job where I am not confined to sitting all day....
2012 events:
Dublin Dash 5k - 28:04 (pb), Rock CF Half Marathon - 2:33, McFarlan Downtown 5k - 31:11, Martian Marathon (half marathon) - 2:30:44, Run for Retina 10k - 1:08 | Toronto Younge St 10k 1:03:06| Toronto Goodlife Half Marathon 2:32:39| Cleveland Rite Aid Marathon 2:41:41 | Midsummer Night Run (London, ON) 33:35:85 |Oasis Zoo Run 1:08:54.6| Island Girl Half Marathon 2:38:49.5 |Scotiabank waterfront HALF marathon 2:41:xx| Detroit Marathon (FIRST FULL) 5:59:XX| Yonge St 10k 1:06:05| Toronto Goodlife Half Marathon| Sportinglife 10k| Philidelphia Marahton (full)|

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:42 am

I hate my desk job! I wish I was back in the lab or in the field more often....

By chance ( :oops: ) I have a very active bladder and can't spend more than 45 mins without going to the washroom.
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:45 am

I get up and wander frequently (I get sick of sitting/staring at the computer screen). Not sure if I do it every half hour, I will have to set up a reminder for it :D

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:59 am

I group this together with "being male" and "family history" as things that greatly affect me but that I can't do much about and that therefore I'm not going to worry too much about. I'm a 43 year old male cube monkey, there's little I can do about that. You know, change the things I can and be serene about the rest.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:24 am

turd ferguson wrote:I group this together with "being male" and "family history" as things that greatly affect me but that I can't do much about and that therefore I'm not going to worry too much about. I'm a 43 year old male cube monkey, there's little I can do about that. You know, change the things I can and be serene about the rest.

But even getting up and walking around a couple times an hour seems to be enough to offset the effects of the cubicle. Surely that doesn't seem like much.

I know I personally cannot sit still for that long and have to get up and walk around every so often to stay productive.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:24 pm

Jwolf wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:I group this together with "being male" and "family history" as things that greatly affect me but that I can't do much about and that therefore I'm not going to worry too much about. I'm a 43 year old male cube monkey, there's little I can do about that. You know, change the things I can and be serene about the rest.

But even getting up and walking around a couple times an hour seems to be enough to offset the effects of the cubicle. Surely that doesn't seem like much.

I know I personally cannot sit still for that long and have to get up and walk around every so often to stay productive.

I don't object to the idea of exercising more, I object to the tone. You know what else causes ill health? Stress. Am I worse off by sitting all day or by worrying about sitting all day? Like I said, change the things I can and be serene about the rest.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:29 pm

If sitting don't kill me I'll live 'till I die!
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:11 pm

turd ferguson wrote:
Jwolf wrote:

I don't object to the idea of exercising more, I object to the tone. You know what else causes ill health? Stress. Am I worse off by sitting all day or by worrying about sitting all day? Like I said, change the things I can and be serene about the rest.

For over a year my work day was get up a 5:00 - 5:15 am. Shower, bowl of cereal and drive to work. Start between 5:45 and 6:00 am. Try to deal with all the emergency stuff and the new stuff that required my immediate attention. If it was a good day, around 10:00 - 10:30 I would go for coffee. Sometime during the day there was likely a meeting and some of those were a couple of hours. Work through lunch with the odd exception. If I took a break, it was to go buy some sort of sugar product to get me through the end of the day that was usually around 5:30 - 6:00. If there was a big meeting I had to go to, then add in several hours at a desk at night. If someone got up and walked around, you could hear the mummers of must be nice not to be completely swamped like the rest of us. Got up to 210 pounds doing that. I knew that I should have taken breaks and eaten better and exercised but ... sometimes it is very easy to say that but very hard to do.

I got lucky and moved into a position where I am almost expected to take breaks as they are looking for quality and not quantity but talking to my old coworkers, quantity is still the over riding goal.

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:13 pm

Doonst wrote:If sitting don't kill me I'll live 'till I die!

I would change that to "If life don't kill me I'll live 'till I die?"

Or a more cynical is "If [fill in the blank of whatever new study shows that will kill us whether that be eggs or lead filled fish or ...] don't kill me I'll live 'till i die?"

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:22 pm

I probably sit more when I'm NOT working than when I am. :/ sometimes I get stuck on the couch with my laptop on my lap. :oops: I've been working on that lately though!
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Jogger Barbie
Bill Crothers

Postby Jogger Barbie » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:43 pm

With these recent reports, I am more appreciative of the fact that our work kitchen is at the opposite end of our office from where I sit, and that I like to drink water. Aside from that, even on my busiest days there are multiple opportunities and reasons to get up and move around at least once an hour. And I create them, where possible, just to get a break from the computer screen and from sitting.
Jacqueline
--------------
19 marathons (3:24:56), 9 30 km ATBs (2:21:33), 2 Midsummer 30 km (2:22:07), 15 half marathons (1:33:53), 5 10 Ks (44:17), 1 5K (22:59), 1 50 K (4:29:22)
2015: London :)
2016: Boston, followed by injury rehab and then ???

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:01 pm

Oh, the irony ... would this suggest that the smokers in my office, who get up and walk to the elevator walk outside the in the smoking area for 5-15 minutes every hour, is actually getting more physical activity than the non-smokers who sit in their cubicle all day .. :shock: :shifty: :wink: :lol:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:32 am

HCcD wrote:Oh, the irony ... would this suggest that the smokers in my office, who get up and walk to the elevator walk outside the in the smoking area for 5-15 minutes every hour, is actually getting more physical activity than the non-smokers who sit in their cubicle all day .. :shock: :shifty: :wink: :lol:

Yup! And they're usually standing while smoking, too! ;)

Even just standing for a while is better for you than sitting all day.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:43 am

La wrote:
HCcD wrote:Oh, the irony ... would this suggest that the smokers in my office, who get up and walk to the elevator walk outside the in the smoking area for 5-15 minutes every hour, is actually getting more physical activity than the non-smokers who sit in their cubicle all day .. :shock: :shifty: :wink: :lol:

Yup! And they're usually standing while smoking, too! ;)

Even just standing for a while is better for you than sitting all day.

So, who's gonna get more active and start smoking now, I wonder ?? :shifty: :shock: :lol: :wink:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Return to “General Running Discussion”