NY Marathon cancelled

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

ian
Jerome Drayton

Re: NY Marathon cancelled

Postby ian » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:27 am

HCcD wrote:Interesting commentary on this mornings radio about cancelling the marathon, to transfer the resources of the marathon to the local community who really needs it at this time, yet, they are unwilling to cancel, postpone and/or even move today's NFL and NBA games ... I guess, the marathons had already paid for their ticket, while the NBA and NFL would take a huge economic hit/rift from lost wages, spending, etc., if these games were to be affected ... :roll:

I don't see a problem with the NBA or NFL games, as these are localized events that won't have nearly the impact on transportation and emergency personnel as a marathon through the entire city. Also, the NBA did cancel the game in Brooklyn on Thursday. I'm not sure if these complaints are coming from disenchanted runners who feel singled out, local residents who would prefer to see the entire city locked down for a few weeks until everybody is ready to return to normal routines simultaneously, or just media outlets that are looking for any controversial angle that will bring them attention.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:31 am

ian wrote:
HCcD wrote:Interesting commentary on this mornings radio about cancelling the marathon, to transfer the resources of the marathon to the local community who really needs it at this time, yet, they are unwilling to cancel, postpone and/or even move today's NFL and NBA games ... I guess, the marathons had already paid for their ticket, while the NBA and NFL would take a huge economic hit/rift from lost wages, spending, etc., if these games were to be affected ... :roll:

I don't see a problem with the NBA or NFL games, as these are localized events that won't have nearly the impact on transportation and emergency personnel as a marathon through the entire city. Also, the NBA did cancel the game in Brooklyn on Thursday. I'm not sure if these complaints are coming from disenchanted runners who feel singled out, local residents who would prefer to see the entire city locked down for a few weeks until everybody is ready to return to normal routines simultaneously, or just media outlets that are looking for any controversial angle that will bring them attention.

Absolutely, "Life Must Go On !!! " and, as mentioned, the economic impact to cancel these games would further continue to add to the $$$ losses to the City .....
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

AirForceRunner
Bill Crothers

Postby AirForceRunner » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:03 am

canalrunner wrote:Right call horribly handled by the mayor. The positive and premature statements earlier in the week that encouraged people to get on their flights and to not cancel their hotel rooms should have been an announcement would be made on a specific day. Sadly the late cancellation gives the feel of a new york hustle or a bait and switch with no real recourse. New York got the money from people coming, the people coming didn't get what they were promised. I think any real assessment of the city would have prompted early cancellation of the race since there were clearly more important things to be doing that delivering the marathon. Not sure many would argue the race should have gone on.

Here is hoping that the 2012 NY runners get automatic and free entry to an upcoming NY marathon. Spread out over 5 years, increase the numbers slightly and they won't even notice the cost. Or run two races next year. A friend of mine deferred last year and was running a $700 marathon this year---under the current approach should his next NY marathon cost him another $350?

Here's hoping for a good recovery to New York. Lots to do. Low on the list is the NY marathon.

First post in ages for me...but this post sums it up PERFECTLY!!
Well written and considered.
http://www.itsmyrun.com/?display=myrace ... orceRunner

2011 Wishlist
Sulphur Springs 50 miler
Dirty Girls 12 hr night run
Haliburton 100 miler (gulp!)

"Try the meditation of the trail, just walk along looking at the trail at your feet and don't look about and just fall into a trance as the ground zips by..."
-Jack Kerouac

"I am no longer a runner, I am now a father who runs. I will let the running come to me and I will make the most of every km I am fortunate enough to receive."
-Smack

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:14 pm

Interesting post: http://www.flotrack.org/coverage/249877 ... um=twitter
It describes the animosity (near assault) toward volunteers, and this was in the days before most of the runners started to arrive in town.

I agree with ian that this situation feels like a bit of "bait and switch." One person commented in the above post saying that he arrived Thursday night and not only weren't there any resources for him as a tourist (restaurants, etc.), there weren't really any opportunities to help out, either.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

ceileigh
Bill Crothers

Postby ceileigh » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:14 pm

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_spo ... 1VRbq1ubEJ

And it continues ... NY Post calling for Wittenburg to resign / be fired

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:30 pm

Wow. Those comments are very strongly worded and hateful. :?

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

NY Marathon cancelled

Postby Jwolf » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:37 pm

Wow that seems pretty harsh to put it all on her when the mayor was behind the initial decision to hold the race.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

URG
Johnny Miles

Postby URG » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:41 pm

ceileigh wrote:http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_sports/run_nyrr_prez_out_of_town_Nc1TX2rFEwV41VRbq1ubEJ

And it continues ... NY Post calling for Wittenburg to resign / be fired

Wow...That's one strong-handed article. Can it be that cut and dry? The NYC Marathon is a money event. Big corporate sponsors and big payoffs. Will we ever really find out what was going on internally between the city of NY, the NYRR, and the major sponsors? Probably not. Is it really just one person's decision? Some other articles I read were blaming ING...some Bloomberg...the list goes on.

I'm not defending her. Just saying, I think it was bigger than just her.

Looking for blame is typical.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:42 pm

Jwolf wrote:Wow that seems pretty harsh to put it all on her when the mayor was behind the initial decision to hold the race.

I think the issue the Post is having was how she blamed them (i.e., the media) as the reason why it was cancelled, instead of saying that it should never have been held in the first place. Everyone wants a scapegoat and she's an easy target.

ceileigh
Bill Crothers

Postby ceileigh » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:47 pm

On a brighter note photos of runners on SI today

http://www.buzzfeed.com/andyv3/photos-n ... ctims-7omc

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:48 pm

La wrote:
Jwolf wrote:Wow that seems pretty harsh to put it all on her when the mayor was behind the initial decision to hold the race.

I think the issue the Post is having was how she blamed them (i.e., the media) as the reason why it was cancelled, instead of saying that it should never have been held in the first place. Everyone wants a scapegoat and she's an easy target.

That's the way I read the nyrr statement too... "we're canceling because of all the whining even though everything was a-o.k."

She should go... this race needs a fresh start.

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

URG
Johnny Miles

Postby URG » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:59 pm

La wrote:

Wasn't it The NY Post that wrote a story about the generators for the race; asking why they weren't being used for communities? IMHO, If that's correct, this is just another antagonistic rant from a journalist who is unfortunately able to get his personal rant out to the public and stirring up more anger. One commenter, said they would throw bricks at runners if they saw them run by! I know people are angry, I get it. But this journalist certainly doesn't help the present situation.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

NY Marathon cancelled

Postby Jwolf » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:03 pm

I also don't get how people think that the runners are to blame.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:11 pm

Jwolf wrote:I also don't get how people think that the runners are to blame.

We runners are Evil :shock: :lol: :wink:
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:15 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:
Jwolf wrote:I also don't get how people think that the runners are to blame.

We runners are Evil :shock: :lol: :wink:

No, just selfish and self-absorbed. :roll:

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:25 pm

The NY Post is, on its best day, a typical tabloid, so the overly strong opinion is not surprising, but there can be no doubt that Wittenberg isn't on a solid footing right now. When you're essentially the CEO of a corporation and pulling in a half-million dollar annual salary, you can't afford bad PR, be it from this, the bag check issue, or anything else.

Where this story interests me is the possible public perception about the typical marathon runner: above average wealth (e.g., with the means to throw down several thousand dollars for a race like NY) and, in a few cases, more concerned with losing their training than their humanity. Who's to say that similar (but smaller scale) protests don't arise in future marathons? For all that we complain about skyrocketing race fees, cities are basically providing the use of their streets for free. The typical citizen feels the inconvenience of these events without seeing direct benefits from the revenue generated. Suppose the city of Toronto, for example, were to respond to public pressure for fewer road closures by allowing only one major road-closing event per month, auctioned to the highest bidder; all of a sudden, the May schedule might be reduced to one super-race with a $200 entry fee, half of which would go to the city. Probably not likely, but not impossible either...

marymac442
Jerome Drayton

Postby marymac442 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:26 pm

ceileigh wrote:On a brighter note photos of runners on SI today

http://www.buzzfeed.com/andyv3/photos-n ... ctims-7omc

Like - here are runners making the best of a bad situation and helping out. The runners that went to Staten Island especially will go a long way to mending any bad feelings there might have been from the Mayor's handling of this whole matter
Bonsor Breakfast Club
"It's All About the Food

2019 plans - Sun Run Clinic (as usual), make it past tax season with sanity intact, start training, Chicago Marathon !!!

DougG
Jerome Drayton

Postby DougG » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:27 pm

The Post is a rag that uses sensationalist headlines, and that column is just one idiot's opinion. The writer has his panties in a knot because she blamed the media for some of the problems. As if the media never does anything wrong.
The column is a waste of paper.
injured
Snowflake 10k....stopped at 5k
Rest of the year a write off because of injury.
Snowflake 10k Jan 1 done
Run 4 Kids 10k Jan 7 done
Harry's Spring Run Off 8k. April 8 a disaster, but I finished
Centurion 50k at Horseshoe Valley (cycling) done
Centurion 50 miler at Blue Mountain (cycling) done.....barely!
Snowflake 5k, Dec 16 - done
Harry Rosen 8k. April. done
Rotary 5k fun run. May. done
CANI 10k. June. done
Canada Day 10k. July. done
Barrie Waterfront 5k. Aug. done
CANI 10 k. Oct. done
Base Borden Army Run 10k. done

AirForceRunner
Bill Crothers

Postby AirForceRunner » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:29 pm

La wrote:Wow. Those comments are very strongly worded and hateful. :?

Bear in mind, the Post is a more sensational version of Canada's The Sun. It's how they sell papers.

That said, I voiced the same opinion, that she should be replaced, but for much different reasons.
http://www.itsmyrun.com/?display=myrace ... orceRunner

2011 Wishlist
Sulphur Springs 50 miler
Dirty Girls 12 hr night run
Haliburton 100 miler (gulp!)

"Try the meditation of the trail, just walk along looking at the trail at your feet and don't look about and just fall into a trance as the ground zips by..."
-Jack Kerouac

"I am no longer a runner, I am now a father who runs. I will let the running come to me and I will make the most of every km I am fortunate enough to receive."
-Smack

ceileigh
Bill Crothers

Postby ceileigh » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:30 pm

In the end there are only 3 questions I have out of this whole mess.

1 - will I get my money (or any of it back). A = this is out of my hands
2 - what should I do now in terms of running A = I don't really want to find another marathon in the near future and don't have any races so I have no running plans at all at the present. Couch potato sounds awfully good right now.
3 - do I want to run NY in the future or has this experience forever taken it off my list A = there is a part of me that still wants the NYCM experience but I am, at present, pretty disillusioned with the way NYRR handled the situation and the overall reaction of so many from NY itself. You don't see NY'er outside of broadway matinees demanding the tourists skip the matinee and go volunteer but they are sure demanding that runners go volunteer. It is all just one big hot mess!

So #1 is out of my hands and #3, I believe, is just too soon to decide (I really try to act and not react and right now that decision would be more reaction then thoughtful action) so is also best simply left for the time being.

That leaves #2 as where I think I, at least, should focus as all this marathon stuff settles over the coming days and weeks. What should be my next running goal. My back is still sore so I will take a few more days for it to settle. I do think I now understand what caused the back pain (improper KT taping which caused the reaction I had as well). From there I need to set a new goal, short term or long term - and set a plan to work towards it and just let this NY stuff figure itself out without me.

Oh and maybe go buy a new Maniac Mabel too ... :roll:

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:34 pm

jonovision_man wrote:
Stampie wrote:I feel sorry for the participants who have vest training time, travel and money into this weekend.

Training time can be saved... Hamilton Marathon is this weekend! Spots available! If you squint really hard the Stelco plant smokestacks look a lot like the Empire State building, right? ;)

They added 250 spots to Hamilton... turns out it was the last possible Boston Qualifier in North America!

http://www.cbc.ca/hamilton/news/story/2 ... -york.html

Good for the Road2Hope charities at least!

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

NY Marathon cancelled

Postby Jwolf » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:40 pm

jonovision_man wrote:
jonovision_man wrote:
Stampie wrote:I feel sorry for the participants who have vest training time, travel and money into this weekend.

Training time can be saved... Hamilton Marathon is this weekend! Spots available! If you squint really hard the Stelco plant smokestacks look a lot like the Empire State building, right? ;)

They added 250 spots to Hamilton... turns out it was the last possible Boston Qualifier in North America!

jono

last possible Boston qualifier? There was a marathon here also. And several
I know of in December in the US (and philly and seattle in a few weeks...)

Also, since these are all now qualifiers for 2014 it doesn't really seem like an important distinction.

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:07 pm

Jwolf wrote:
jonovision_man wrote:
jonovision_man wrote:

jono

last possible Boston qualifier? There was a marathon here also. And several
I know of in December in the US (and philly and seattle in a few weeks...)

Also, since these are all now qualifiers for 2014 it doesn't really seem like an important distinction.

Hmm OK CBC got that wrong... still an extra $$$ infusion for Hamilton though!
Visit my blog!

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:20 pm

Was the fee described as non-refundable when you signed up? To me that answers the question of 'will I get my money back'

Crappy, but that's what non-refundable.
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

NY Marathon cancelled

Postby Jwolf » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:23 pm

jes wrote:Was the fee described as non-refundable when you signed up? To me that answers the question of 'will I get my money back'

Crappy, but that's what non-refundable.

Jane entered with a tour company. I don't think they've ever had to address the issue of a race being cancelled- only if the individual cancels which is a different thing.

It will also be interesting to see what NYRR offers the runners. I guess they also have never had to deal with the issue of the race being cancelled. And it would be hard to let everyone defer to 2013.

Return to “General Running Discussion”