NY Marathon cancelled

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Re: NY Marathon cancelled

Postby Irongirl » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:58 am

La wrote:Interesting. So, if you take the refund, you don't have guaranteed entry for future years. If you choose the guaranteed entry option, then you don't get any money back and have to pay AGAIN for your next race? I guess that would be the same situation if you had deferred your registration.

What do RMers that were registered think?

My first thought (not being affected by it) was that it seems fair - but, the last paragraph does raise a lot of questions.....
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

ceileigh
Bill Crothers

Postby ceileigh » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:09 am

On their FB page: We are pleased to announce that we have reached a resolution regarding the cancellation of the 2012 ING New York City Marathon. All registered runners will be receiving an e-mail shortly. Please check your inbox and our website for details.

I am waiting to see what my email box says before I decide. Part of me still wants to do it. I have never done a full and the reasons for NY as my first full still stand however it has been a mess for sure. Also want to see if they increase fees over the next few years as it looks like 2012 runners may stay at 2012 rates even if fees increase.

ceileigh
Bill Crothers

Postby ceileigh » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:13 am

Here is the full explanation by NYRR. As a ITP entry I, at present, appear to have nothing other then wait and see (it says I will be contacted by my ITP to facilitate my options). Given the number of ITP runners this could be interesting ...

Dear Marathon Runners:

Thank you all for your patience during the last seven weeks as we have worked through issues related to the cancellation of the 2012 ING New York City Marathon. Hurricane Sandy was a devastating event for our city, and our thoughts and prayers remain with the victims and their families as they work to rebuild their homes and lives.

We are sorry that it has taken us longer to resolve these issues than we had originally hoped. We have been working to offer the best possible solutions in order to meet the needs of the many different groups associated with the Marathon.

Our goal was to offer a range of options to each of you so that you can choose which option works best for you.

MARATHON RUNNERS
2012 Marathoners may choose one of the following options:

Option #1 – Refund. While NYRR has always had a no-refund policy for the Marathon, given these extraordinary circumstances, we are offering runners who were entered in the 2012 Marathon, and were unable to run due to the cancellation 1, the opportunity to obtain a full refund of their 2012 Marathon entry fee (excluding the $11 processing fee); OR
Option #2 – Guaranteed entry to the ING New York City Marathon for 2013, 2014, or 2015. Entrants in the 2012 Marathon who choose this option will be granted guaranteed entry to the Marathon for the year they choose. Runners will be required to pay all processing and entry fees at the time of application (in the given year), with fees maintained at the same rate as those paid in 2012; OR
Option #3 – Guaranteed entry to the NYC Half 2013. Entrants in the 2012 Marathon who choose this option will be granted guaranteed entry to the NYC Half 2013, to be run on March 17, 2013. Runners will be required to pay all processing and entry fees at the time of application. Availability will be limited.
CHARITY RUNNERS
All runners who signed up to run the 2012 Marathon on behalf of Team for Kids or one of the official ING New York City Marathon charities and obtained their entry from NYRR will be offered the same options. The fundraising you did in connection with the 2012 Marathon will entitle you to any of the options above. If your 2012 Marathon entry fee was paid through your charity partner, you will be contacted directly by your charity.

INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL PARTNERS
All international runners who gained entry to the 2012 Marathon as part of a travel package with an official ING New York City Marathon International Travel Partner will be contacted directly by their International Travel Partner representative to facilitate their options.

TICKET-HOLDERS FOR OTHER RACE-WEEK EVENTS
Ticket-holders for any of the following events will be offered a full refund:

Marathon Eve Dinner
Reserved Grandstand Seating
Blue Line Lounge Presented by Tata Consultancy Services
Marathon in a Motorcoach
TrackMyRunnersTM via TXT
Those of you who were entered in the cancelled 2012 NYRR Dash to the Finish Line 5K will receive a separate e-mail outlining further details.

THE OPTION SELECTION PROCESS
Individual e-mails will be sent to all runners on January 10, 2013, and information will be posted on the Marathon website (www.ingnycmarathon.org), providing further details and terms and conditions for the obtaining of refunds and the choosing of an option. The option selection window will open on January 11, 2013, and you will have until January 25, 2013, to choose your option, so we ask that you please act quickly once you receive the instructional e-mail, as there will be no default option.
Please choose the option that works best for you. If you have any questions prior to receiving our instructional e-mail on January 10, please do not hesitate to contact NYRR customer service at customerservice@nyrr.org.

On behalf of all of us at NYRR, thank you for your patience and support. Our commitment is to work hard over the coming year to serve our runners and community and to return the ING New York City Marathon to being our city’s best day.

Yours in running,

Mary Wittenberg

President and CEO

Jogger Barbie
Bill Crothers

Postby Jogger Barbie » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:23 am

CinC wrote:
La wrote:Interesting. So, if you take the refund, you don't have guaranteed entry for future years. If you choose the guaranteed entry option, then you don't get any money back and have to pay AGAIN for your next race? I guess that would be the same situation if you had deferred your registration.

sounds like it. I'm going to take the refund.

I'm feeling pretty done with NYC.

My first thought is much the same. I'm definitely not interested in going back for 2013 and not willing to commit to either 2014 or 2015.
Jacqueline
--------------
19 marathons (3:24:56), 9 30 km ATBs (2:21:33), 2 Midsummer 30 km (2:22:07), 15 half marathons (1:33:53), 5 10 Ks (44:17), 1 5K (22:59), 1 50 K (4:29:22)
2015: London :)
2016: Boston, followed by injury rehab and then ???

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

NY Marathon cancelled

Postby Jwolf » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:26 am

This sounds like a very reasonable solution, although I can see many people will be upset that they'd have to pay again.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:28 am

interesting - I wonder if they will make you choose which year you are "deferring" to....
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

fe.RMT
Jerome Drayton

Postby fe.RMT » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:28 am

I am happy with the resolution. It is similar to what would happen if I had to defer and to me, personally, the guarantee spot is more important to me than the money. Paying again won't put me in the poor house.
The rumours are true......

2013:
Thanksgiving Day 5k: 27:26

Coming up:
ORW Half Marathon
NYC Marathon 2014

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:30 am

Seems about as fair as was going to be possible, given the history of the parties involved. I'll be interested to see the numbers on what the runners choose. On one extreme, NYRR might not be in a position to pay out 40,000 refunds, but on the other end, if too many people opt for a 2013 rematch, it will practically squeeze out every other avenue of entry for next year's race.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:55 am

ian wrote:Seems about as fair as was going to be possible, given the history of the parties involved. I'll be interested to see the numbers on what the runners choose. On one extreme, NYRR might not be in a position to pay out 40,000 refunds, but on the other end, if too many people opt for a 2013 rematch, it will practically squeeze out every other avenue of entry for next year's race.

Especially considering there are still people who registered in 2010-11 who qualify for the "3 strikes you're in" policy next year and the year after. Things will be back to "normal" in 2015 when that cohort has expired.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

NY Marathon cancelled

Postby turd ferguson » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:03 pm

fe.RMT wrote:I am happy with the resolution. It is similar to what would happen if I had to defer and to me, personally, the guarantee spot is more important to me than the money. Paying again won't put me in the poor house.

Agreed completely.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

BJH
Lynn Williams

NY Marathon cancelled

Postby BJH » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:16 pm

turd ferguson wrote:
fe.RMT wrote:I am happy with the resolution. It is similar to what would happen if I had to defer and to me, personally, the guarantee spot is more important to me than the money. Paying again won't put me in the poor house.

Agreed completely.

This is my thought, too. I know I don't want to go back for 2013.
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:48 pm

Think they made the best of a bad situation. It is unfortunate that they didn't make the decision to cancel earlier to lessen the clearly looming bad situation, but they didn't and that is life. I give them a two thumbs up for giving runners options. :dance: That won't lessen the interest of runners in creating a list of other options, or wanting to pick two of the options.
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

ceileigh
Bill Crothers

Postby ceileigh » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:00 pm

I still have no real opinion as I have no actual resolution. As an ITP entry I have no information. What I can say is it is frustrating to see information for everyone else except ITP's and to be still sitting here with a 'wait until you hear from your ITP' as the only info I have. I highly doubt that NYRR has not made a decision about how they will refund ITP's or how ITP's will be impacted. They have stated what happens for charity runners. So why not resolve the stand for ITP's too and announce it all at once. Regardless I can not do anything except just wait more ... I am hoping to hear from the ITP later today. If nothing else at least a statement of when / if they will have further information.

Jogger Barbie
Bill Crothers

Postby Jogger Barbie » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:08 pm

ceileigh wrote:I still have no real opinion as I have no actual resolution. As an ITP entry I have no information. What I can say is it is frustrating to see information for everyone else except ITP's and to be still sitting here with a 'wait until you hear from your ITP' as the only info I have. I highly doubt that NYRR has not made a decision about how they will refund ITP's or how ITP's will be impacted. They have stated what happens for charity runners. So why not resolve the stand for ITP's too and announce it all at once. Regardless I can not do anything except just wait more ... I am hoping to hear from the ITP later today. If nothing else at least a statement of when / if they will have further information.

Hmmm...maybe we're reading this differently?

All international runners who gained entry to the 2012 Marathon as part of a travel package with an official ING New York City Marathon International Travel Partner will be contacted directly by their International Travel Partner representative to facilitate their options.

To me, that sounds like you have the same options, but that they will be coordinated through your Travel Partner rather than directly with NYRR. I'm basing that on the use of the phrase "facilitate their options" rather than something like "find out what their options are". And on the fact that the charity runners have the same options. Obviously I could be wrong...
Jacqueline
--------------
19 marathons (3:24:56), 9 30 km ATBs (2:21:33), 2 Midsummer 30 km (2:22:07), 15 half marathons (1:33:53), 5 10 Ks (44:17), 1 5K (22:59), 1 50 K (4:29:22)
2015: London :)
2016: Boston, followed by injury rehab and then ???

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:18 pm

wow.. first mention ever of the 5K race that was cancelled..

Aside from the email that |I got on the Wednesday before saying it was cancelled..
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:45 pm

From the e-mail received, a key qualifier for Refunds .... It appears that even though I cancelled my registration the weekend before race weekend, that I am now eligible to receive a refund, as well ... :shifty: :dance: :dance:

MARATHON RUNNERS
All 2012 Marathoners may choose one of the following three options:
Option #1 - Refund. While NYRR has always had a no-refund policy for the Marathon, given these extraordinary circumstances, we are offering runners who were entered in the 2012 Marathon, and were unable to run due to the cancellation¹, the opportunity to obtain a full refund of their 2012 Marathon entry fee (excluding the $11 processing fee); OR
Option #2 - Guaranteed entry to the ING New York City Marathon for 2013, 2014, or 2015. Entrants in the 2012 Marathon who choose this option will be granted guaranteed entry to the Marathon for the year they choose. Runners will be required to pay all processing and entry fees at the time of application (in the given year), with fees maintained at the same rate as those paid in 2012; OR
Option #3 - Guaranteed entry to the NYC Half 2013. Entrants in the 2012 Marathon who choose this option will be granted guaranteed entry to the NYC Half 2013, to be run on March 17, 2013. Runners will be required to pay all processing and entry fees at the time of application. Availability will be limited.

¹ Applies to runners entered in the 2012 Marathon who had not cancelled prior to October 24, 2012.

At this point in time, having already deferred/registered for Goofy Challenge 2014, I may take my refund and run away, as I am not sure if I can financially commit to another destination race next Fall, considering that I just committed a big chunk of $$ funds for a Panama Canal Cruise in May .. ... :shock: :?

Then again, I will have until January 10-11th, to make a decision ....
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:31 pm

Jogger Barbie wrote:
ceileigh wrote:I still have no real opinion as I have no actual resolution. As an ITP entry I have no information. What I can say is it is frustrating to see information for everyone else except ITP's and to be still sitting here with a 'wait until you hear from your ITP' as the only info I have. I highly doubt that NYRR has not made a decision about how they will refund ITP's or how ITP's will be impacted. They have stated what happens for charity runners. So why not resolve the stand for ITP's too and announce it all at once. Regardless I can not do anything except just wait more ... I am hoping to hear from the ITP later today. If nothing else at least a statement of when / if they will have further information.

Hmmm...maybe we're reading this differently?

To me, that sounds like you have the same options, but that they will be coordinated through your Travel Partner rather than directly with NYRR. I'm basing that on the use of the phrase "facilitate their options" rather than something like "find out what their options are". And on the fact that the charity runners have the same options. Obviously I could be wrong...

I think the reason it's stated that way is because with an ITP they don't actually split out the cost of the race vs. the cost of the travel package. If you look at the runner vs. non-runner cost it looks like the "cost" for the race is about $600 since that's the difference between the two travel packages. But that's not the fee that international runners who got in through the lottery would have paid. Plus, some people who booked through ITPs did make the trip to NYC and some did not, so it's likely a more complicated refund situation (which is why they are referring you to your ITP). The ITPs buy entries from NYRR, so the refund would go to them first, not to the participant directly.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:38 pm

Also, if you notice the wording that deferral rates will be that of current 2012 registration fees ... One can only assume what the new rates will be for new registrants in 2013 and beyond ? They had already raised it this year by about $50 for non US Residents, if I recall correctly ...

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:57 pm

Money back....money back! It was 2012 or nothing for me as far as New York goes. Now I can use the $$$ for something else...if I ever get to run again.
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

ceileigh
Bill Crothers

Postby ceileigh » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:08 pm

The ITP told us today that they have had no information from NYRR other then what was on the website. They have no refunds, guarantees of refunds, or guaranteed entries for next year so as far as they are concerned nothing has changed with todays news. They are still waiting for information. NYRR did let them know it could be several more weeks before a decision would be made for ITP's. So I do not have a guaranteed entry or a refund at this time.

Interesting that several people on the FB page have noted they have qualified for 2013 with a qualifying time or through 9+1 so will take the refund and use the money to pay for 2013 entry. This has set off the tirades of unfair again. Can't say I blame them. But at the same time it was a no refund race so if you do decide not to run again then the refund offer is still pretty nice. It was given that no matter what they did not everyone would be happy. I'd just like to know where I stand so I can make a decision but looks like we won't know until just before they open the registration next year.

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:38 am

Good on them. And good precedent for all of us (who aren't race directors!).

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:21 pm

jonovision_man wrote:Good on them. And good precedent for all of us (who aren't race directors!).

Good (eventual) precedent.
I am fortunate to have Running Free as a sponsor. I like to keep silly stats and maps of my Daily Neighbourhood Tours, Races and Marathons run in a Silly Yellow Shirt.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:41 pm

Only 2 more days to wait before we get the final email with instructions on choosing our options ... Has everyone decided what their intentions will be yet ?? :what:

If I recall, the lottery will likely open around end of February, once they determine how many people will opt for guaranteed entry for 2013 and, of course how many will opt for the refund option .... So, I guess, it will have a direct determination on how much regular / future registrations will be, going forward ....

ceileigh
Bill Crothers

Postby ceileigh » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:30 pm

NYRR has still not contacted ITP's with how the resolution will work so I don't know if I will get an email letting me choose my options, be offered options through the ITP, or just be told what to do :roll: One of the ITP people from the UK has been told the options are the same and if they decide to register for 2012/13/14 they are free to make their own flight/hotel (so do not have to do the ITP arrangement). Other ITP are the same as me. I have heard privately from some other Canadian ITP people who have been told, like me, that until they (we) hear from NYRR we are not sure that the resolution is being extended to ITP runners or not so ... nope I have not made up my mind at all because I have no idea what my options will be ...

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:36 pm

ceileigh wrote:NYRR has still not contacted ITP's with how the resolution will work so I don't know if I will get an email letting me choose my options, be offered options through the ITP, or just be told what to do :roll: One of the ITP people from the UK has been told the options are the same and if they decide to register for 2012/13/14 they are free to make their own flight/hotel (so do not have to do the ITP arrangement). Other ITP are the same as me. I have heard privately from some other Canadian ITP people who have been told, like me, that until they (we) hear from NYRR we are not sure that the resolution is being extended to ITP runners or not so ... nope I have not made up my mind at all because I have no idea what my options will be ...

Did you not mention that you had arranged to have a direct access to your online profile on the NYC Marathon website? So, technically, you could log in directly, no ?? :shifty: :wink:

Also, whatever happened to your Medical Waiver that you submitted??

Return to “General Running Discussion”