Running snowshoes . . .

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

NMG
Bill Crothers

Running snowshoes . . .

Postby NMG » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:57 pm

Hi everyone,

Have any of you tried running snowshoes? If so, how do you find them? Are they large enough that they require a different stride than with normal running? Do you enjoy it? Is it hard to transition from normal running to snowshoe running? I'd like to try some runs on some trails this winter but I think I'd just fall on through the regular trails. I could probably get away with some traction devices on packed trails, but it's probably not ideal.

Just looking for any feedback you may have. Thanks!

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Re: Running snowshoes . . .

Postby ultraslacker » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:12 pm

running snowshoes are designed to be narrower than regular snowshoes so that you can have a more natural stride, but they are still definitely wider than regular shoes, so you still have to adjust!

I just have regular trail snowshoes, not running ones. But I can run (slowly) in them, mainly downhill. :lol:
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:25 pm

I have running snowshoes and I've used them once so far. I'm not a huge fan of them to be honest but I'll give it another try next week. I prefer trail running and snowshoe hiking. There is definitely a change in stride since my left calf got a little strained with some hill ascents. It's fine now but it felt funny for a day or so. I had to roll it out like crazy on my foam roller.
Carm

NMG
Bill Crothers

Postby NMG » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:43 pm

Cool, thanks for the feedback! I also prefer trail running so I thought that maybe it would be a way to keep on the trails in the winter. I do have regular snowshoes but they are far too large to run in with any degree of control. They would be great for hiking though so maybe I'll just stick with that until Spring when I can get back on the trails with my shoes :)

Sustain26
Johnny Miles

Postby Sustain26 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:33 pm

During any successful session, one might and should have a moment of truth, "should I continue or just walk home?". If you don't break down, the same thing might happen a few hundred steps later, but you already dealt with that issue. This usually happens in the second half, anyways. The satisfaction one derives later, when at home, is extremely gratifying, and is a build up like no other to further efforts.
(The "Lord, have mercy!" anecdote.)

MrBond
Bill Crothers

Postby MrBond » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:31 am

carm wrote:I have running snowshoes and I've used them once so far. I'm not a huge fan of them to be honest but I'll give it another try next week. I prefer trail running and snowshoe hiking. There is definitely a change in stride since my left calf got a little strained with some hill ascents. It's fine now but it felt funny for a day or so. I had to roll it out like crazy on my foam roller.

What Carm said - the stride is definitely different.
Hiking, rather than running, seems a better approach (IMHO)...
"You're in over your head Donny..."

Return to “General Running Discussion”