Cross-border shoe shopping

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:16 am

Anyone know the best place to get ASICS in Buffalo? Going to be in U.S. for a week, coming back through Buffalo so figured I'd take advantage of the new exemptions.

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Re: Cross-border shoe shopping

Postby Double Bellybuster » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:34 am

jonovision_man wrote:Anyone know the best place to get ASICS in Buffalo? Going to be in U.S. for a week, coming back through Buffalo so figured I'd take advantage of the new exemptions.

The best option is to have Holabird ship to your hotel. If you want to shop in person in Buffalo, try Fleet Feet.
I am fortunate to have Running Free as a sponsor. I like to keep silly stats and maps of my Daily Neighbourhood Tours, Races and Marathons run in a Silly Yellow Shirt.

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:57 am

Double Bellybuster wrote:
jonovision_man wrote:Anyone know the best place to get ASICS in Buffalo? Going to be in U.S. for a week, coming back through Buffalo so figured I'd take advantage of the new exemptions.

The best option is to have Holabird ship to your hotel. If you want to shop in person in Buffalo, try Fleet Feet.

Not sure the hotel will be too keen if we ship piles of stuff there and only stay one night! :)

A co-worker suggested this to me, sounds not bad:
http://www.cbiusa.com/

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

ngcaper
Tom Longboat

Postby ngcaper » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:03 am

Use www.runningwarehouse.com I've had many great experiences with them.

Depending on what hotel your staying at many will hold larger packages (within reason) some will charge a fee as well. Your best bet is call the hotel and ask. Many hotels will hold bigger packages as well, every time there's meetings at hotels that require pre-arrived material lots of companies/people pre-ship. I have something shipped to my hotel on about 50% of my trips to the US and I go 1-2X a month for work or pleasure.

If not the service you mentioned may be very good, close to Ottawa we have the UPS store in Odgensburg who provide a similar service. $5 to receive a package and hold it a week. It's the most popular store in Odgensburg...just don't go on a Saturday morning :)
Beer, the cause of and solution to all of lifes problems.

2015 Races:
The Limberlost Challenge 56k
Dam Wakley Damn 55k
I2P Run 50k
Grand 2 Grand 273k

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:16 am

ngcaper wrote:Use http://www.runningwarehouse.com I've had many great experiences with them.
If not the service you mentioned may be very good, close to Ottawa we have the UPS store in Odgensburg who provide a similar service. $5 to receive a package and hold it a week. It's the most popular store in Odgensburg...just don't go on a Saturday morning :)

+1 to Running Warehouse.

I think there's something similar at a UPS store near Buffalo. Google "package receiving for Canadians and Toronto" or something along those lines. I looked it up for my sister a few months ago but I can't find the info.

For the Ottawa folks, there are now a few other options to the UPS Store in Ogdensburg. Same principle, no wait time. If you arrive at 9:30 am on a Saturday or Sunday morning, you can be first in line and there's no wait. I've done that the last 2 trips and got in right away. The line formed to 30+ people right after me though.
Carm

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:16 am

Double Bellybuster wrote:The best option is to have Holabird ship to your hotel.

Looks like a no-go! :(

If payment is made with a credit card, your Shipping Address must be verifiable. As a small, family run business, it is important for us to take additional measures towards reducing credit card fraud. This protects not only our business but also our loyal customers. The verifiable shipping address policy is an integral part of credit card fraud reduction. Verifiable shipping addresses include:

•The credit card billing address. Verified instantly using Chase Paymentech.
•An alternate address listed on file with your credit card company: The bank phone must be provided.
•The credit card holder's verifiable business address: a valid company name and phone number must be provided.
•The credit card holder's home address. (*accepted as your shipping address when your billing address is a P.O. Box).

Basically your shipping address has to be associated with the card, so it can't be some random place you decided to stay.

Also - all of the "free shipping" offers seem to not apply if you're sending to a P.O. box - you have to pick USPS as UPS/Fedex won't deliver to P.O. boxes (ie. all the shipping services). (Edit: looks like this might not apply to Kinex!)

jono
Visit my blog!

Engmomma
Abby Hoffman

Postby Engmomma » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:24 pm

I have bought my Mizuno's at Walden Galleria at "Finish Line". I have also bought at DSW (Designer Shoe Warehouse).

It can be hit or miss at both places but I have had pretty good luck finding what I want.
The Summer of Eng is over.

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:46 pm

footlocker.com has a "ship to store" option - you can buy online and have the order shipped to the store of your choice for free. You have 21 days to pick it up. I buy my ASICS from them online & have them shipped to my mother's address in the US, so I've never used the ship to store option, but it looks like if you timed it right you'd have no problems. I have mine shipped to a US address on a Canadian credit card with no issues.

They usually have a very good selection of shoes (and lots on sale), and you're not limited to just the in-store selection.
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:17 pm

In Buffalo I've heard that Dick's Sporting Goods has good prices. I think they're in the Galleria Mall.

When I was in Orlando last month the best prices on Asics shoes were actually at the Asics outlet store in the Premium Outlet Mall. I'm not sure if the Premium Outlet Mall in Niagara Falls has an Asics store - my gut says no since I didn't find my shoes anywhere but Foot Locker and they weren't that great of a deal ($110 as opposed to $160 here for the 2100 series shoe). In Orlando they had the curren model 2170 for $85 and last year's model 2160 for $80. I bought last year's model because they didn't have my size in the other, but I actually prefer them as they are less stiff.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:31 pm

La wrote:In Buffalo I've heard that Dick's Sporting Goods has good prices. I think they're in the Galleria Mall.

yes, Dick's > Fleet Feet. Sorry for the brain freeze, there a location in Amherst too. Please grab me some Mighty Taco while there.
I am fortunate to have Running Free as a sponsor. I like to keep silly stats and maps of my Daily Neighbourhood Tours, Races and Marathons run in a Silly Yellow Shirt.

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:46 pm

Double Bellybuster wrote:
La wrote:In Buffalo I've heard that Dick's Sporting Goods has good prices. I think they're in the Galleria Mall.

yes, Dick's > Fleet Feet. Sorry for the brain freeze, there a location in Amherst too. Please grab me some Mighty Taco while there.

You had me at taco!
Visit my blog!

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:21 pm

If you go to Orchard Park (where the Bills stadium is) you will find a Dicks, and also a great store called Runners Roost. The McKinley mall is also close by (foot locker, prob others as well). Galleria has DSW, which can be great, but if it's a hard to find model you probably won't get lucky there. I find Galleria way too crazy busy, and Orchard Park is not much farther (maybe 10 min?).
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:22 pm

There is also a Target, a Kohls, and a big box booze store in the plaza with the Dicks in Orchard Park. :twisted:
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:27 pm

+1 to runningwarehouse.com. No issues with different credit card address/shipping address. Plus just google for a discount code... you can almost always get at least an extra 10% off with some promo code or another.

I used to get excited about Dick's, but in the last 4 or 5 years it seems their selection of running shoes has gone down and they usually charge full MSRP now.

Mighty Taco is good, but for the true upstate NY experience it's Cracker Barrel or GTFO.

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:30 pm

dgrant wrote:I used to get excited about Dick's

OK I'm completely juvenile but hahahaha.

jono
Visit my blog!

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:57 pm

jonovision_man wrote:

jono

Oh Jesus Christ, grow up. I'm just saying I used to drive to the mall that had a sign advertising Dick's, rummage around until I found something that fit, try it out in the parking lot, pay, and go home. But it was a passing fancy. Now I get all that online. I give a credit card, the doorbell rings, and there's a man in a uniform with the package I needed.

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:39 pm

dgrant wrote:
jonovision_man wrote:

jono

Oh Jesus Christ, grow up. I'm just saying I used to drive to the mall that had a sign advertising Dick's, rummage around until I found something that fit, try it out in the parking lot, pay, and go home. But it was a passing fancy. Now I get all that online. I give a credit card, the doorbell rings, and there's a man in a uniform with the package I needed.

Growing up is not in the cards :)

I'll check it out if we have time... the kids and wife will likely trump an extended sporting goods spree though.

jono
Visit my blog!

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:00 pm

dgrant wrote:
jonovision_man wrote:

jono

Dave, you`re the best :D
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:18 pm

jonovision_man wrote:
I'll check it out if we have time... the kids and wife will likely trump an extended sporting goods spree though.

jono

See there's another reason Orchard Park could work. Pretty much across from the Runners Roost, on North Buffalo St I think, is a plaza with Ann Taylor Loft and White House Black Market. Kohls has discount Vera Wang clothes, and Target has lots of good stuff, and they can shop there while you shop at Dicks at the other plaza. At McKinley Mall, there is Macy's, Victorias Secret, Express, NY and Co, Limited etc while you shoe shop. Everyone wins. 8)

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:01 pm

dgrant wrote:Now I get all that online. I give a credit card, the doorbell rings, and there's a man in a uniform with the package I needed.

Same here. In 2010, when I had to revisit shoe model due to wearing orthotics for the first time I only consider manufacturers that did not block mail order to Canada. So Mizunos via Holabid for me.

I find other reasons to visit Mighty Taco. I am surprised to read a lack of love of MT here. Until this thread I had never talked to read comments from anyone who has tried Mighty Taco and not loved it. And we are calorie lovers here.

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:37 pm

Listen brother, Mighty Taco is a quality TexMex taco. We hold this truth to be self evident.

But when I travel, I like my dining choices to reflect the local experience. In the case of upstate New York, that means: from a goddamn frozen slab to unpleasantly warm nothingness... and the harsh realization that despite all hopes and dreams and what our mothers promised us, this is where we're all headed. For my money ($5.99 lunch special!!!), that's Cracker Barrel.

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:59 am

QuickChick wrote:There is also a Target, a Kohls, and a big box booze store in the plaza with the Dicks in Orchard Park. :twisted:

A good non-beaten-down area of Metro Buffalo that has all the stores and is close to the Lewiston, Rainbow and Whirlpool bridges is the 1K stretch Amherst section of Niagara Falls Boulevard south of I-290. All the chains mentioned already plus a Bert's Bikes.

erinmcd
Bill Crothers

Postby erinmcd » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:42 am

dgrant wrote:
jonovision_man wrote:

jono

That was perfectly feigned butthurt! :lol:
Keep on rolling, just a mile to go. Keep on rolling my old buddy, you're moving much too slow.

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:36 pm

erinmcd wrote:
dgrant wrote:Oh Jesus Christ, grow up. I'm just saying I used to drive to the mall that had a sign advertising Dick's, rummage around until I found something that fit, try it out in the parking lot, pay, and go home. But it was a passing fancy. Now I get all that online. I give a credit card, the doorbell rings, and there's a man in a uniform with the package I needed.

That was perfectly feigned butthurt! :lol:

When did I turn into my parents? I don't get many of these jokes. Yikes. :oops:

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:59 am

Amherst IS really nice, thanks for the reminder! My brother got married there. I'm not as familiar with it because it's kind of on the "far" end of Buffalo from where I usually stay with my family (about half an hour south). I seldom take the Lewiston bridge because it's always super slow. I'll have to make an effort to check it out though.

My cousin was up from Houston last week, and I ordered a pair of Kinvara 3's from Running Warehouse on Sunday night for her to bring up (she was coming on Thursday). Normally, this is no problem- they have always delivered in 2 days. I didn't even pick the overnight shipping because I was pretty confident. They messed up the address and sent them to ANOTHER person with my name in Texas, in some other random city! Luckily she refused them!! Then they screwed up sending them back to the warehouse. Finally they sent out another pair, same colour same size, and almost 2 weeks after I ordered them, they arrived. RW apologized profusely and gave me an $8 credit and my cousin is sending the shoes, thankfully. I don't know if I'd be sending them to a hotel, etc, though if I was only going to be in the US for a limited amount of time. Stuff can happen! Luckily (?) I have not run in a week and a half anyway due to the plague, so I haven't missed them too much. Hopefully I'll get them by the end of the week. I'd say it was still worth it to save $50... LOL. I'm still pretty confident in RW, and feel like this was pretty flukey.

Return to “General Running Discussion”