If you were looking for a new heart rate monitor...

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:40 am

what would you buy?

A friend is looking for a new one - she cyscles and runs.

TIA!
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:08 am

Does she want other functions like measuring distance, cadence, etc?
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

eme
Lynn Williams

Re: If you were looking for a new heart rate monitor...

Postby eme » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:21 am

I like the Garmin 310xt.

I have the Speed and Cadence sensor for my bike, along with the quick release mount for my bike (I can take the watch part off of the watch band and put it on my bike).

It has the Ant+ wireless transmission, if she is the type to look at the numbers afterwards.

I have had Polar and quite honestly, the watch itself wasn't as user friendly as the Garmin and the data transfer sucked (Infrared).

The price of the 310xt has come down since the 910xt came out, $295.00 at www.mec.ca

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:25 am

I enjoy my 310xt watch a lot for its features and the quick release on my bike. However, the glass is not recessed into the watch so if you drop it, you can crack the screen pretty easily. For a $300+ watch, I wish that it was a bit more sturdy.
Carm

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:30 am

carm wrote:I enjoy my 310xt watch a lot for its features and the quick release on my bike. However, the glass is not recessed into the watch so if you drop it, you can crack the screen pretty easily. For a $300+ watch, I wish that it was a bit more sturdy.

Thanks for the heads up. I hadn't heard of that problem.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:47 am

The Garmin 310xt is a great choice if she wants the actual distance functions of a GPS-enabled watch which allows you to download data to the computer. And it's made for multi-sport so it comes with the bike mount. I agree with eme about Polar vs. Garmin in general.

But if all she really wants is a HRM, $300 is still a lot. You can get basic Polar HRMs wrist-watches for under $100.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:51 am

eme wrote:
carm wrote:I enjoy my 310xt watch a lot for its features and the quick release on my bike. However, the glass is not recessed into the watch so if you drop it, you can crack the screen pretty easily. For a $300+ watch, I wish that it was a bit more sturdy.

Both Andy and I have cracked 310xt's. I had mine for around 2 years before I dropped it onto tile. It's still usable but not water-proof anymore.
Carm

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:54 am

carm wrote:
eme wrote:

Both Andy and I have cracked 310xt's. I had mine for around 2 years before I dropped it onto tile. It's still usable but not water-proof anymore.

Now that you mention it, I remember something about Andy's screen cracking. I didn't realize that it happened just from being dropped - I thought that it would have required something more 'energetic' to happen.

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:56 am

Jwolf wrote:And it's made for multi-sport so it comes with the bike mount.

Small point but it's actually a separate kit that you can buy for around $30. You need to remove the watch straps and add on a piece that will enable it to twist into and off the quick release that goes on your bike.

Yep, eme, it was just a gentle drop onto tile and CRACK!!!! It costs about $160 to get a refurb'd one from Raytech. Needless to say, I've been hesitating.
Carm

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:08 pm

eme wrote:
carm wrote:
eme wrote:

Now that you mention it, I remember something about Andy's screen cracking. I didn't realize that it happened just from being dropped - I thought that it would have required something more 'energetic' to happen.

Actually, mine got cracked, as I hastedly placed my 310xt in the room safe one time and when shutting the safe door, the watch may have been squished against something else in the safe, and the corner of the safe door, when pressed against the face of the watch ... :? :( :oops: :oops:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:10 pm

carm wrote:

Small point but it's actually a separate kit that you can buy for around $30. You need to remove the watch straps and add on a piece that will enable it to twist into and off the quick release that goes on your bike.

Yep, eme, it was just a gentle drop onto tile and CRACK!!!! It costs about $160 to get a refurb'd one from Raytech. Needless to say, I've been hesitating.

http://www.gpscity.ca/garmin-forerunner ... e-kit.html
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:13 pm

Jwolf wrote:The Garmin 310xt is a great choice if she wants the actual distance functions of a GPS-enabled watch which allows you to download data to the computer. And it's made for multi-sport so it comes with the bike mount. I agree with eme about Polar vs. Garmin in general.

But if all she really wants is a HRM, $300 is still a lot. You can get basic Polar HRMs wrist-watches for under $100.

Also, if you look and/or ask around you could get a good deal in lightly used 305's as people are upgrading to the newer models ... And, someone may even have a NIB 305 in their warehouse that may be willing to offer it for a really, really great price ... Although, it may be new-in-box, it would be out of warranty, unfortunately ... :shifty: :wink: :oops:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:03 pm

turd ferguson wrote:http://www.gpscity.ca/garmin-forerunner-310xt-updated-quick-release-kit.html

Thanks for posting the kit link! I paid more than $15 when I bought mine 2+ years ago.
Carm

VDoT
Bruce Kidd

Postby VDoT » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:47 pm

310XT or 910XT. I have them both. I dropped the 310XT once and the vibration feature stopped working but Garmin replaced it under warranty.

Overall, I like the profile of the 910XT better and have had zero issues with it.
Dan

Coming up in 2015:

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:07 pm

HCcD wrote:
Jwolf wrote:The Garmin 310xt is a great choice if she wants the actual distance functions of a GPS-enabled watch which allows you to download data to the computer. And it's made for multi-sport so it comes with the bike mount. I agree with eme about Polar vs. Garmin in general.

Also, if you look and/or ask around you could get a good deal in lightly used 305's as people are upgrading to the newer models ... And, someone may even have a NIB 305 in their warehouse that may be willing to offer it for a really, really great price ... Although, it may be new-in-box, it would be out of warranty, unfortunately ... :shifty: :wink: :oops:
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:58 am

carm wrote:

Annnnnndddddddddd guess what happened to my 310xt at spin this morning?

Yup, it fell off my bike - I stupidly had it resting on my areobar arm rest before the start of spin and it fell off and cracked when it hit the floor. :evil:

It still works but now has lovely spider type crack in the class. :(

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:22 pm

eme wrote:
carm wrote:

Yup, it fell off my bike - I stupidly had it resting on my areobar arm rest before the start of spin and it fell off and cracked when it hit the floor. :evil:

Oh no! You shouldn't have been reading this thread!

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:28 pm

Jwolf wrote:
eme wrote:
carm wrote:

Oh no! You shouldn't have been reading this thread!

Yup, I jinxed myself!

I will most likely use this one until I head outdoors but it still sucks to have to fork out the cash for a refurbished one!

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:10 pm

No, eme, say it ain't so!!! If you don't use it swimming, you should be ok using it outdoors with a small crack. I've been using mine and it's been fine. I've considered finding a screen cover or buying the material and then cutting it out to protect the crack from moisture etc. I'll let you know what I find. At some point, I'm sure that I will replace it with a refurbished one but I need to stick to my budget after a heavy month of spending from Christmas and paying for pre-registered workout classes.
Carm

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:15 pm

What is the deal with the 310? Does it ooze butter and WD40?
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:25 pm

turd ferguson wrote:What is the deal with the 310? Does it ooze butter and WD40?

Yes, pretty much. That and a crappy design that Garmin is well aware of, I'm sure.
Carm

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:54 pm

carm wrote:No, eme, say it ain't so!!! If you don't use it swimming, you should be ok using it outdoors with a small crack. I've been using mine and it's been fine. I've considered finding a screen cover or buying the material and then cutting it out to protect the crack from moisture etc. I'll let you know what I find. At some point, I'm sure that I will replace it with a refurbished one but I need to stick to my budget after a heavy month of spending from Christmas and paying for pre-registered workout classes.

Could you coat it with clear nail polish? Just thinking out loud here. :?
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:33 pm

Habs4ever wrote:
carm wrote:No, eme, say it ain't so!!! If you don't use it swimming, you should be ok using it outdoors with a small crack. I've been using mine and it's been fine. I've considered finding a screen cover or buying the material and then cutting it out to protect the crack from moisture etc. I'll let you know what I find. At some point, I'm sure that I will replace it with a refurbished one but I need to stick to my budget after a heavy month of spending from Christmas and paying for pre-registered workout classes.

Could you coat it with clear nail polish? Just thinking out loud here. :?

It would depend how quickly the nail polish would dry, but that is a possibility.
Carm

Return to “General Running Discussion”