Boston Marathon 2013

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Boston Marathon 2013

Postby Jo-Jo » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:02 pm

Stampie wrote:
La wrote:I'd be more worried for spectators than runners since the explosion was on the sidewalk, not the road. But still, based on Ken's time at 40K (2:44PM, explosion went off at 2:50PM) he would have been very close. I wonder about MrsTortoise, who likely would have been somewhere near the finish waiting for him.

Good God, I hope & pray that everyone is ok. Ken, please check in! Please...

I've been so fixated at thinking about Ken I didn't keep think that Mrs. Tortoise would likely be a spectator near the finish line.

Ken...and Mrs. T....thinking of you this evening....sending some powerful Orange Power to you.

Just saw Ken's post on his log...so relieved he's safe.
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:17 pm

Just saw Ken's post in his journal, phew!

A little to close for comfort.
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:32 pm

Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

ShinSplints
Bill Crothers

Postby ShinSplints » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:05 pm

Ken, thank god you are safe buddy. Prayers to everyone's safety..
OMG.... I think we now live in a new era for marathons where security will be a big question, especially at the big races.
Don't Limit Your Challenges.....Challenge Your Limits
Next races:
Just running around the neighborhood playground...

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:09 pm

Not just marathons, but at any event where large groups of people gather and there is extensive media coverage.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:18 pm

I'm actually surprised that they weren't being set to go off around the time the leaders were finishing, when all the media would've been focused on the finish area. As it was, though, a huge number of finishers would've been coming in around that time. I am just so heartbroken by the whole thing- I've been in tears all night. I was freaking out at first wondering about the people I know, and since finding out they're all OK I'm just so sad for everyone who was hurt or killed. Who does this?! Why does the world have to be like this??!
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

mas_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby mas_runner » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:31 pm

QuickChick wrote: Who does this?! Why does the world have to be like this??!

Have been asking these exact same questions... :(
PBs
5th Sep 2015 - Run Ottawa free 5km - 21:05
21st Jun 2015 - UR 4 Men's Cancers 10km - 45:45
16th Jun 2013 - UR 4 Men's Cancers 15km - 1:11:44
16th Apr 2016 - MEC 10 miler - 1:20:21
12th Apr 2015 - EY R4R Half Marathon - 1:41:15
26th May 2013 - Ottawa Marathon - 3:43:51

2017 races - coming up
7th May - Defi Entreprise 10km
28th May - Ottawa Half Marathon
17th Sep - Army Run Half Marathon

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:40 pm

I just talked to my friend Dean (who used to post here) on skype. II hadn't heard from him but knew he didn't finish. He was way behind in time because he got tripped up at a water station and wiped out. Then he ended up running slower and relaxing ... he was within a mile of the finish when he got turned away. They didn't know why- they just heard of some emergency -- thought someone collapsed at the finish line or something.

It was a relief to talk to him-- he is understandably mixed with emotions.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:41 pm

QuickChick wrote:I'm actually surprised that they weren't being set to go off around the time the leaders were finishing, when all the media would've been focused on the finish area.

Hubbie Ro-Ro wondered the same thing. He also pondered.."this race was being dedicated to the Newton Familes...and today there was a vote in the Senate regarding gun stuff...I'm thinking this is an inside the US terrorist attack...and not one from outside"

hmm..interesting...we'll see...
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:44 pm

Jwolf wrote:I just talked to my friend Dean (who used to post here) on skype. II hadn't heard from him but knew he didn't finish. He was way behind in time because he got tripped up at a water station and wiped out. Then he ended up running slower and relaxing ... he was within a mile of the finish when he got turned away. They didn't know why- they just heard of some emergency -- thought someone collapsed at the finish line or something.

It was a relief to talk to him-- he is understandably mixed with emotions.

Good to hear Dean is safe.
I am sure most people who were on that course today will have very mixed emotion...those who finised...and those who didn't get the opportunity.

DJHL
Bruce Kidd

Postby DJHL » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:06 pm

It's been a while since i have been here but I had to check in to make sure everybody is ok after the shocking news out of Boston. At the same time, I feel so bad for the dead and injured - this is so difficult to take in especially with the marathon being such a positive celebration of life. Words fail me.

Get back to a regular exercise routine

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:10 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:
QuickChick wrote:I'm actually surprised that they weren't being set to go off around the time the leaders were finishing, when all the media would've been focused on the finish area.

Hubbie Ro-Ro wondered the same thing. He also pondered.."this race was being dedicated to the Newton Familes...and today there was a vote in the Senate regarding gun stuff...I'm thinking this is an inside the US terrorist attack...and not one from outside"

According, to the latest CNN speculation, is that the perp(s) may have attempted to target the leaders, but were unable to get past the security and crowds, and subsequently, may have just left the bombs, and possibly triggered it via remote ... ??? :what: :what: :what:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

lorei
Tom Longboat

Postby lorei » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:23 pm

In case you saw the video of the runner who fell over as a result of the blast --- he's alright! Just a scraped knee.

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/201304 ... -in-Boston

I'm having a really tough time with this... My heart is broken for the city of Boston and the victims... So senseless.

Tarsals
Tom Longboat

Postby Tarsals » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:24 pm

This is so awful. I hope everyone on here and their loved ones are all okay. My heart goes out to those in Boston.
Okanagan 10k Oct 2010 - 42:37
Last Chance Half Nov 2010 - 1:32:18
ATB 2010 - 2:27:55
Victoria Marathon Nov 2009 - 3:42:38

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:36 pm

I was shocked to hear what happened in Boston. I was driving home when I heard it on 680News. They had CNN coverage by a reporter who was waiting for his brother to finish. All I kept thinking was "I wonder who from the people I know might be there?" I'm relieved to hear that Ken and other maniacs are safe. A few ultrabuddies were in the race, some finished, some ran a 40-41k. I pray that everyone is safe and gets out of there unscathed. Awful to think how this is going to change the way big marathons are organized... :(
Happy trails everyone,
UQ
Ultrarunner again

anners
Jerome Drayton

Postby anners » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:47 pm

I haven't been on here in ages either, but I had to check up on our Boston maniacs. Glad that everyone is accounted for. Dee, ((hugs)) to you, stay safe.

lorei
Tom Longboat

Postby lorei » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:47 pm

This was a great missive penned by Patton Oswalt....

https://www.facebook.com/pattonoswalt/p ... 0800582655

...I don't know what's going to be revealed to be behind all of this mayhem. One human insect or a poisonous mass of broken sociopaths.

But here's what I DO know. If it's one person or a HUNDRED people, that number is not even a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a percent of the population on this planet. You watch the videos of the carnage and there are people running TOWARDS the destruction to help out...

....the vast majority stands against that darkness and, like white blood cells attacking a virus, they dilute and weaken and eventually wash away the evil doers and, more importantly, the damage they wreak. This is beyond religion or creed or nation. We would not be here if humanity were inherently evil. We'd have eaten ourselves alive long ago.

So when you spot violence, or bigotry, or intolerance or fear or just garden-variety misogyny, hatred or ignorance, just look it in the eye and think, "The good outnumber you, and we always will."

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Postby fingerboy » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:53 pm

Hi guys,

thanks for the concern and the tracking. My wife and I are fine - and back in Toronto. We left the area probably 20 min before (thankfully for an early flight) or I would have probably been still in the area for sure. I was staying right at the Westin. My friends told me they heard the blast and I was I guess just at the airport. Really really sad and emotional end to the day.

The flights (at least ours) were fine. We left right on time (5pm) though there was some confusion at the airport for sure. We almost got delayed indefinitely but our pilot contacted the right people.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:59 pm

fingerboy wrote:Hi guys,

thanks for the concern and the tracking. My wife and I are fine - and back in Toronto. We left the area probably 20 min before (thankfully for an early flight) or I would have probably been still in the area for sure. I was staying right at the Westin. My friends told me they heard the blast and I was I guess just at the airport. Really really sad and emotional end to the day.

The flights (at least ours) were fine. We left right on time (5pm) though there was some confusion at the airport for sure. We almost got delayed indefinitely but our pilot contacted the right people.

Thanks for the check in Jonas. I'm looking forward to your race report...it looks like you ran much of the race right around a friend of mine from Kingston...you guys were neck and neck for most of the race :D

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:09 pm

I am happy to see everyone checking in on rm (both those that were on Boston and those that haven't been online in awhile checking in on rm-ers)....really shows how much of we community we are.

If you haven't seen the note going around on Twitter and Facebook, wear a race shirt tomorrow....runners stand together in support of Boston.

Or, wear Boston marathon blue and yellow if a race shirt doesn't quite meet your dress code....
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

CAW
Lynn Williams

Postby CAW » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:13 pm

And here's an image you can use for your profile pic, if you so choose.

~Kara~

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself."
— Thich Nhat Hanh

Jogger Barbie
Bill Crothers

Postby Jogger Barbie » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:28 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:I am sure most people who were on that course today will have very mixed emotion...those who finished...and those who didn't get the opportunity.

Checking in and so glad to see that no one lost a loved one or had one terribly injured.

And yes, as a runner on that course today, definitely mixed emotions. Can't say anything more coherent than that right now... Thanks everyone for following up and checking up on people.
Jacqueline
--------------
19 marathons (3:24:56), 9 30 km ATBs (2:21:33), 2 Midsummer 30 km (2:22:07), 15 half marathons (1:33:53), 5 10 Ks (44:17), 1 5K (22:59), 1 50 K (4:29:22)
2015: London :)
2016: Boston, followed by injury rehab and then ???

deb
Bill Crothers

Postby deb » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:47 pm

I, too have not been here for awhile, but had to check in, once a maniac always a maniac. Glad to hear all the runners are ok, i'm so angry and sad and shocked and.....well....speechless.

I just dont get it.
somedays, even my lucky rocketship undies don't help

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:02 pm

I'm not paying much attention to the mainstream news tonight. The firsthand stuff on the internet is incredible.

http://www.reddit.com/r/running/comment ... on/c9ftn98

http://www.reddit.com/r/news/comments/1 ... _thread_3/
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Boston Marathon 2013

Postby Jwolf » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:18 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:

Just a small correction but in case there is confusion- the school shootings were in Newtown, Connecticut- unrelated but sounds similar to Newton, Massachusetts (which is on the marathon course).

Very nice to dedicate the race to the families from Newtown (I hadn't heard about that) and I sincerely hope today's terrorist attacks were unrelated (not that it would make any more or less sense either way).
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Return to “General Running Discussion”