2014 WDW Marathon Weekend Has Gone Dopey

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:54 am

According to FB yesterday, which may have been leaked, but official information to be released by Run Disney before registration opens in April 9 ... that a 10K event will be added, as well as the inaugural Dopey Challenge ... 10K / 13.1K / 42.2K ... :shock: Apparently, the information has been removed from the website already ... Ooops !!! :shifty: :wink:

Dopey Challenge Registration Fees

Entry Fees and Deadlines

Walt Disney World® Marathon

•$160 by June 18, 2013
•$175 between June 19, 2013 and August 13, 2013
•$190 on or after August 14, 2013

Walt Disney World® Half Marathon

•$160 by June 18, 2013
•$175 between June 19, 2013 and August 13, 2013
•$190 on or after August 14, 2013

Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge

•$340 by June 18, 2013
•$370 between June 19, 2013 and August 13, 2013
•$400 on or after August 14, 2013

Walt Disney World® 10K

•$95 by June 18, 2013
•$110 between June 19, 2013 and August 13, 2013
•$125 on or after August 14, 2013

Disney Family Fun Run 5K

•$60 per participant

Dopey Challenge

•$495 by June 18, 2013
•$525 between June 19, 2013 and August 13, 2013
•$555 on or after August 14, 2013

runDisney Kids Races

•$15 per child

Mickey Mile

•$30 per child

Race Retreat Packages

•$120 Half Marathon Package
•$120 Full Marathon Package
•$200 Goofy's Challenge Package

Last edited by HCcD on Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

cbaker1
Tom Longboat

Re: 2014 WDW Marathon Weekend Has Gone Dopey

Postby cbaker1 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:09 am

So it's only $140 extra to run the 10km as well. Sounds very reasonable to me. :shock:

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:55 am

cbaker1 wrote:So it's only $140 extra to run the 10km as well. Sounds very reasonable to me. :shock:

No it's only $180 extra- or $155 if you register early. :shock: :shock:
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:09 am

Jwolf wrote:
cbaker1 wrote:So it's only $140 extra to run the 10km as well. Sounds very reasonable to me. :shock:

Only pennies per step!

While this event will likely never be on my radar, I salute WDW in their attempts to map out the edges of the demand curve.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:38 am

Jwolf wrote:

Who ever said that Disney was anything but Cheap, eh !!! :shifty:

I guess they needed a new schtick for 2014 with no anniversary like Donald's 15th, last year, Mickey's 20th this year and Goofy's 10th in 2015 ... and, there had been talk about recognizing the Dopey to include the 5K .. though, the big surprise is the introduction of the 10K event ... initially, some on FB thought it may have been a pre-mature April Fools joke that got leaked, as it was promptly removed from the website ...

I would have considered it, if I had not already been registered for the Goofy Challenge ... :shifty:

Will also be interesting to see if they have it on a separate day from the 5K event ?? Wonder what they would call it if you ran all the adult events ? Dopey +5K is the current theme, as an unofficial name for it ...

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:49 am

HCcD wrote:I would have considered it, if I had not already been registered for the Goofy Challenge ... :shifty:

Has registration already opened/closed for Goofy? Or is this just because you have a deferral from this year?
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:54 am

La wrote:
HCcD wrote:I would have considered it, if I had not already been registered for the Goofy Challenge ... :shifty:

Has registration already opened/closed for Goofy? Or is this just because you have a deferral from this year?

I believe that registration for 2014 will officially open on April 7th ???

And, yes, already registered via the deferral program for 2014 when I cancelled this year's registration ... Though, it would kinda cool to have the first year's Dopey Medal and Schwag :shifty: ... finding it hard to swallow paying another $160+ for a 10K event that I would not likely be racing at ... though, it may be tempting to send an email to Run Disney to see if it would be possible to upgrade from Goofy to Dopey ... At minimum, I suspect that besides the difference in price, there would be an additional of at least $35.00 processing charge, which was what they were charging to handle the deferral/refund for 2013 ...

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:55 am

I am sure they will let you upgrade to the dopey :wink:

Was there no 5k listed? I really liked doing that one as a family this year.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:56 am

HCcD wrote:
La wrote:

I read on their site that it's April 9. I was just confused because you said you were already registered for Goofy.

http://www.rundisney.com/disneyworld-marathon/
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:58 am

Tori wrote:I am sure they will let you upgrade to the dopey :wink:

Was there no 5k listed? I really liked doing that one as a family this year.

5K Family Run is still there ... the chatter on FB was whether or not they would keep the 5K and 10K on separate dates ... as some people would like the possibility of running all the events ... officially or unofficially recognized ....

If that is the case, it may push back another day to Wednesday for the start of race / expo and travel/accomodations plans, as well for those contemplating this ...

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:58 am

La wrote:
HCcD wrote:
La wrote:

I read on their site that it's April 9. I was just confused because you said you were already registered for Goofy.

http://www.rundisney.com/disneyworld-marathon/

That's correct, for some reason, I had April 7 stuck in my head ... Perhaps, the announcement day that I may have read/heard about ... :? :what:

gnu
Jerome Drayton

Postby gnu » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:10 pm

The Dopey info is back on the website.

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:56 pm

gnu wrote:The Dopey info is back on the website.

Uh-oh Andy definitely needs to upgrade his weekend now! 5k, 10k , 1/2 and full over 4 days. 6 medals!!! :wink:

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:51 pm

Tori wrote:
gnu wrote:The Dopey info is back on the website.

Uh-oh Andy definitely needs to upgrade his weekend now! 5k, 10k , 1/2 and full over 4 days. 6 medals!!! :wink:

You think my little Buddy Owen will help fund/sponsor me, Tori ??? :shifty: :lol: :wink:

eta: I have already booked my resort for the week, beginning on the Tuesday ... :shifty: :wink:

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:12 am

Apparently Dopey will be 5K on Thursday, 10K on Friday, Half on Saturday and Full on Sunday ... 48.x Miles of running for all you ultranuts out there ... :shock: :shifty: :wink:

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:15 am

Disney World adds 10K, Dopey Challenge to expanded marathon weekend
Wesley Alden

8:01 p.m. EDT, March 26, 2013

If you thought Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge was crazy (running both Disney's marathon and half marathon), things are about to get Dopey. The 2014 Disney Marathon Weekend, Jan. 8-12, will expand to five days and will include a 10K, along with the Family Fun Run 5K, the Disney Half Marathon, the Disney Marathon and Goofy’s Race and a Half Challenge. Add those all together and you have the Dopey Challenge – run all four events in successive days (48.6 miles) to earn six medals.

After the Disney Family Fun Run 5K on Thursday, runDisney’s new Walt Disney World 10K, a 6.2-mile timed event, takes place Friday, at Epcot. Runners completing the race will receive a Minnie Mouse inspired medal.

As in past years, the Walt Disney World Half Marathon will be run on Saturday followed by the Walt Disney World Marathon on Sunday. Runners who complete both – Goofy’s Race and a Half Challenge – will receive a special Goofy-themed medal. Add on the 5K and the 10K and runners can earn four medals, one for each race completed, plus the Goofy and new Dopey Challenge medals, for a total haul of six medals.

Inaddition to those four races, the Disney Marathon Weekend will feature runDisney Kids Races and the Mickey Mile, which both take place at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex. Special ticketed breakfasts with characters will be Thursday and Friday following the Family Fun Run 5K and 10K at Epcot, Pasta in the Park parties at Epcot and runners can celebrate their accomplishments from the weekend at the Cool Down Party at Downtown Disney on Sunday.

The expanded five-day race weekend begins on Wednesday with the start of Disney’s Health and Fitness Expo, giving runners extra time to pick up race packets, shop for the latest running apparel and technology, and meet experts such as runDisney official training consultant Jeff Galloway and runDisney nutritionist Tara Gidus. The expo is free and open to the public.

Online registration for all Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend events opens April 9, but runners can enter early by signing up for the Runner’s World Challenge starting April 2. This limited opportunity allows runners to register for the Half Marathon, Marathon, Goofy Challenge or Dopey Challenge, receive customized training plans from Runner’s World magazine editors and enjoy VIP experiences throughout weekend.

For more information and to register for Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend events and other runDisney races, go to www.runDisney.com.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:18 pm

Just received an email from Run Disney with the opportunity to transfer from Goofy 2014 to Dopey 2014 for the difference in registration price, in addition to a $35US administration fee ... What to do? What to do? :shifty:

Dear runDisney Guest,

You are receiving this email because you deferred a registration to the 2014 Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend. If you are interested in transferring to a different race, including the Dopey Challenge please send in the attached transfer form via e-mail or fax. There is a $35 fee associated with this transfer. We will guarantee your transfer as long as we receive the attached paperwork by April 7th, 2013. After that date, you may only transfer as long as the race has capacity and is not sold out. Once a race is sold out, transfers are no longer valid.

If you have any questions regarding the deferral policy & procedure please contact us at (407)938-3398 or by email at wdwsportsregistration@Disney.com.

Thanks,

runDisney

lorei
Tom Longboat

Postby lorei » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:04 pm

I think I may do the Dopey.... Any idea when Goofy sold out last year? Weeks, months, days?

barebuns1
Bill Crothers

Postby barebuns1 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:33 am

It is definitely one of the more expensive marathons to run here in North America. :(
If you have to ask me why I Run, You probably wouldn't understand!

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:52 am

barebuns1 wrote:It is definitely one of the more expensive marathons to run here in North America. :(

Early Bird pricing @$160 is not that bad, when compared to $348US for NYC and some of the other bigger US Destination marathons ... Though, had you said that the cost of a WDW Destination event is one of the more expensive ones in North America, factoring the travel, accomodations and Park Tickets, then yeah ... :shifty: :shock: :lol: :wink:

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:30 am

HCcD wrote:
barebuns1 wrote:It is definitely one of the more expensive marathons to run here in North America. :(

Early Bird pricing @$160 is not that bad, when compared to $348US for NYC and some of the other bigger US Destination marathons ... Though, had you said that the cost of a WDW Destination event is one of the more expensive ones in North America, factoring the travel, accomodations and Park Tickets, then yeah ... :shifty: :shock: :lol: :wink:

Add in the cost of having a 5 year old Disney/Star Wars freak and I am in the poor house after our trips for race weekend, yet we seem to keep doing it! :lol:

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:43 am

Tori wrote:
HCcD wrote:

Add in the cost of having a 5 year old Disney/Star Wars freak and I am in the poor house after our trips for race weekend, yet we seem to keep doing it! :lol:

And, now the introduction of a Disney Cruise on the same weekend as race weekend to the mix ... :shock: :lol: :wink:

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:43 am

On that note, just received confirmation of my transfer to the Dopey Challenge ... Think I may be one of the first registrants in this inaugural event ... :dance: :dance: :dance:

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:37 am

HCcD wrote:On that note, just received confirmation of my transfer to the Dopey Challenge ... Think I may be one of the first registrants in this inaugural event ... :dance: :dance: :dance:

Awesome!!

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:32 pm

HCcD wrote:On that note, just received confirmation of my transfer to the Dopey Challenge ... Think I may be one of the first registrants in this inaugural event ... :dance: :dance: :dance:

I knew you couldn't resist! :wink:

Return to “General Running Discussion”