Runners with Pacemakers

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Mid_Packer
Bruce Kidd

Runners with Pacemakers

Postby Mid_Packer » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:37 pm

Do any of you have any experience with a pacemaker? Any runners you know that have one? Implications, stories good bad or otherwise?

Dave
'10 ATB 2:27, Boston 3:43, Missga 3:42, Sulphur Spring 25k, Niagara 50, ITT,Toad 50, Marine Corp M,
09 Chilly 1:43; ATB 2:37, Boston 3:50, Missuga Mara 3:49, Run for Toad 25k 2:22, Oakville half 1:51, Detroit 3:45
'08 Chilly 1:42; ATB 2:31; Miss Mara 3:43, Westover, Erie (DNF), Detroit 3:36
'07 Chilly 1:45, Detroit 3:50
'92-93 Half 1:27; Detroit 3:10, Boston 3:56

FishHog
Bruce Kidd

Re: Runners with Pacemakers

Postby FishHog » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:35 pm

I don't, but this doesn't sound good Dave.

Is everything alright?

FishHog
In order to catch a fish, you have to drink like a fish.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:39 pm

FishHog wrote:I don't, but this doesn't sound good Dave.

Is everything alright?

FishHog

Agree...are you okay.
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Mid_Packer
Bruce Kidd

Postby Mid_Packer » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:15 pm

I'm ok, but I will be getting checked out. My resting HR keep dropping and I'm getting some skipped beats.
I used to be pretty steady with resting rate of 44 but it is trending down to about 38-40 and sometimes dips to 30-32. While that might be ok if I was in tip top shape from training, I'm not right now so need to get checked out.

Thought I would ask the group about pace makers, fingers crosssed that I won't end up there.

Dave
'10 ATB 2:27, Boston 3:43, Missga 3:42, Sulphur Spring 25k, Niagara 50, ITT,Toad 50, Marine Corp M,
09 Chilly 1:43; ATB 2:37, Boston 3:50, Missuga Mara 3:49, Run for Toad 25k 2:22, Oakville half 1:51, Detroit 3:45
'08 Chilly 1:42; ATB 2:31; Miss Mara 3:43, Westover, Erie (DNF), Detroit 3:36
'07 Chilly 1:45, Detroit 3:50
'92-93 Half 1:27; Detroit 3:10, Boston 3:56

Weak Willed
Johnny Miles

Postby Weak Willed » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:00 pm

I don't wear a pacemaker but I do have a low resting heart rate.

It's a long story. Luckily I have a friend who is a cardiologist so when I started struggling to catch my breath after exertion, and I knew that my heart rate was still not very high, I asked her what she thought.

They tested me for everything and the bottom line was I had an electrical problem.

My HR is Slow but steady. There aren't any beats being skipped.

My heart was fine but for whatever reason my Maximum HR is 131 beats a minute. They don't know why. They said That they had never seen that before. Among the things I learned was that when Im sleeping my HR drops to the Low 20's. Which they tell me is OK, because I'm only sleeping.

They said I could train as hard as I wanted but to use common sense. They said if I got fitter I could do more work at a lower HR than somebody unfit, because I my body would be more efficient.

They said that it was possible, even though they had never seen this before that it was quite common; but that most people don't push themselves enough to realize they have a problem. And Therefore it is an under reported condition.

Initially being a smart ass and kidding with The Doctor I asked if I could get a Pace Maker to kick up my Heart Rate.

They said a pacemaker Will shorten your Life so you want to avoid that if you can. They said if I started passing out at my desk then I might have to consider it. But they also said since they have no idea why it started it might go away by itself.

I met a guy a little while after I was given this information who was showing off his new pacemaker. It was smaller than a pack of cigarettes and was inserted just below the skin. Day surgery.

Hope some of that helps. Good Luck
Weak Willed and easily led.

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:00 pm

I'm not entirely certain, but I think trail child Carrie had a pacemaker. You might try PM'ing her. If you can't get a hold of her, let me know. I'll try to reach her on FB.
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:49 pm

trixiee wrote:I'm not entirely certain, but I think trail child Carrie had a pacemaker. You might try PM'ing her. If you can't get a hold of her, let me know. I'll try to reach her on FB.

Not sure if she has the same kind of pace maker.
She did (still has??) a type of pace maker that was related to her seizure activity...but not sure if that's that same type of pace maker that is heart related.
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:20 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:
trixiee wrote:I'm not entirely certain, but I think trail child Carrie had a pacemaker. You might try PM'ing her. If you can't get a hold of her, let me know. I'll try to reach her on FB.

Not sure if she has the same kind of pace maker.
She did (still has??) a type of pace maker that was related to her seizure activity...but not sure if that's that same type of pace maker that is heart related.

Oh! That's right!
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

daddy_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby daddy_runner » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:25 pm

Weak Willed wrote:My heart was fine but for whatever reason my Maximum HR is 131 beats a minute. They don't know why. They said That they had never seen that before.

Wow, and here I was thinking my 173 was low!
Plan for 2017:
END-SURE 25k...done! 2:30:23
Spruce Woods Ultra volunteering...done!
Kettle Moraine 100
Western States 100 crewing
Falcon Fatass 50k
Superior 100

Return to “General Running Discussion”